• 1 234529
  • Page
  • Next 40
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Lowest advertised price for a laptop @ BB this year!
Model# ML6230

Thanks "policewhale" @ SD!

Link

AD Scan Thanks Unknown (No really, his username is "Unknown")

Typical low end laptop. Celeron M 520 with 512MB RAM and Vista Home edition. Perfect for surfing the net on the couch or typing documents.

Cheers!

UPDATE: I had no idea this topic would get so long this soon.

Would eveybody please stop panicking!!

If you really want one, go to BB and buy before Sun. and then PM later. And if for whatever reason you can't get this deal, sit back and wait for the next one. Or ask Santa Claus to bring you one in a few weeks.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I got my $50 GC last week I think... it took more than a week to get here, but at least I got it

I'm gonna install Win X... (more)

optimist01 (Nov. 02, 2007 @ 3:48p) |

Congrats on getting $30, I got a measly $30
As far as XP install goes, just make sure you slip stream the SATA controlle... (more)

BassKozz (Nov. 02, 2007 @ 7:02p) |

Thanks, you must be feeling jealous of my $50 GCO (like I'm feeling jealous of $50+30 ) j/k
I'm now trying to install XP ... (more)

optimist01 (Nov. 03, 2007 @ 4:03p) |

Vista Optimization for speed (for 512MB RAM), from pg 54:

Here are some tips:
- remove/uninstall everything that is not part of Vista
- update all drivers and remove all autostart helper programs/services e.g. ixfgers, synaptics stuff etc.
- turn off system restore/windows defender/windows search/disk indexing
- turn off all non-essential services(at least one-third of the services that has default automatic startup can be turned off)
- turn off automatic update and the three associated services(re-enable them and update manually)
- no bitmap wallpaper
- no sidebar
- there should only be 3 tray icons - clock, wireless network, and battery
- fixed size page file
- turn off hibernation
- no Azureus for bittorent - use something else
- install KLmegacodec pack and only use windows media classic for video playback; set playback output to VMR9(renderless). Windows Media Player 11 is a POS for video playback and does not even include basic features such as frame resizing, audio track selection etc.

you may disregard all the tips above except for the last one if you have 1024MB memory

---------
Windows XP Drivers - from pg 57:
Here is the direct dload link for SATA drivers for ML6230 for Win XP:
ftp://ftp.gateway.com/pub/hardware_support/drivers/win_vista/harddrive/D20035-001-001.exe
Info page:
http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/getFile.asp?id=20974&uid=176757554

When Windows XP CD is inserted for installation, it will not detect the hard drive unless the SATA drivers for XP are installed first. Either it can be installed by floppy or you can use NLite (http://www.nliteos.com/) to slipstream an XP installation with the Text Mode drivers for the SATA install onto a new CD.
Detailed step-by-step procedure in DrGizmore's post here (3rd from top):
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-12546_102-0.html?forumID=133&threadID=259200&messageID=2575910

from pg 54:
XP Drivers :-)
(compiled by Tmac79 over at SD)

Here is the graphics driver

---------

LET'S START UPDATING THE QUICKSUMMARY POST WITH THE STATE/PRICE

Most major newspapers have the Sunday edition ALREADY out; stop by your local supermarket and take a peek at the Best Buy insert, then report back here.

Official Ads are coming in... Prices are:
NYC $299
PA $349
MI $349
OR $349
OH $349
NC $349
SLC, UT $349
Western/Northen NY $349.99
Miami, FL $349.99
So. Cal (Orange County) $299
So. Cal (La County) $299
So. Cal (Riverside County) $299
So. Cal (San Diego County) $349
So. Cal (Woodland Hills) $299
Reno, NV $349
Arlington, TX $349
Austin, TX $349 (but PM to $299 was easy [print out PDF of online AD])
Houston, TX $349
Dallas,TX $349
McAllen/Brownsville, TX $349
MN $349.99
Whole Bay Area, CA $349
St. Louis, MO $349
DFW $349
Omaha $349
Phoenix, AZ $349.99
Sac Town(Sacramento), CA, $349.99
WA $349.99
GA $349.99 (Atlanta, Savannah)
Baltimore Area $299
Northern NJ $299
Washington DC $299
Northern VA $299
Richmond VA $349
Boston Area/Southern NH $299
Central NJ -$299
Chicago Area, IL - $299
Most of IL except Chicago Area - $349
Nashville Tn 349
Lexington KY $349
Indiana - $349
Connecticut - $349
Washington State - $349 (Silverdale store)
Las Vegas (SW Store) - $349
Buffalo, NY - $349
Kansas City, MO - $349
Tulsa, OK - $349
Oklahoma City metro, OK - $349 Almost every promotion
Update with your state if you have the ad and it is not listed

Optical drive 24X/10X/24X CD-RW/8X DVD combo drive according to Gateway
Gateway's ML6230 Support Page

****The above is all great info if you are computer savy....to SOME of us it means nothing. Does it Play and Burn CD and DVD??
Gateway tech support(800-846-2301) says it burns and plays DVD and CD

There's a line out the door with over a hundred people at the BB here in NY.
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Currently showing for $ 549

Ayuson said: Currently showing for $ 549Yes, that's why the OP stated in the thread title that it starts on the 7th.

Anyway, don't we all have free laptops from Staples already?

Already posted this in Deal Discussion. Did not think to post this here as it has not been proven yet. Some newbie at SD posted this supposed deal.

I took a chance on the Staples deal as well and won (all rebates are valid)...

A few weeks ago I would have considered this deal as I wanted a laptop... but you can't beat being paid for one.

My best FW deals:
#1. receiving $75.00 back with free laptop deal (Staple$)

#2. Recieving $109.00 back with free Sony Home theater system (CC)

Not sure what the red is for but oh well. Still doesn't change the fact that I purchased my very first laptop and received money back. Red me all you want.

I hope the BB sunday circular gets posted on here soon, so we can make sure this deal is good.

Jasonlh1 said: Lowest advertised price for a laptop @ BB this year!Try EVER

Ayuson said: Currently showing for $ 549

Thank you for your VALUABLE contribution to the thread.

onion said: Jasonlh1 said: Lowest advertised price for a laptop @ BB this year!Try EVER

No. Last BF 2006, the Toshiba was $249.99. I am currently typing on it now.

Jasonlh1 said: No. Last BF 2006, the Toshiba was $249.99. I am currently typing on it now.Ya but that one does not count since it was the biggest POS laptop ever sold on the face of the earth.

Where is this free laptop from Staples? I never came across it. I also did a search and did not find it... Is it dead already?

Not a bad deal, good computer to give away as gift

tjmightymouse said: I took a chance on the Staples deal as well and won (all rebates are valid)...

A few weeks ago I would have considered this deal as I wanted a laptop... but you can't beat being paid for one.

My best FW deals:

Can you post links to these forums, tried searching and couldn't find anything.

s13 said: Where is this free laptop from Staples? I never came across it. I also did a search and did not find it... Is it dead already?It was not free. You had to work 2-3 days for it.

onion said: s13 said: Where is this free laptop from Staples? I never came across it. I also did a search and did not find it... Is it dead already?It was not free. You had to work 2-3 days for it.Took me two hours with free roboform software. Free laptop, printer, Sony Base Station, several software titles, and made >$700 on the deal after PM's, coupons, rebates. Well worth my two hours.

Someone at SD says they have the ad and it's not in there.

None of these are available in my area. May be regional

Hmmm if it's true I wonder if this would apply http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/en_US/images/external/emailpdf/100107_oct_ese_coupons.pdf . It doesn't list PC's as an exclusion so it would be worth a shot I guess. Been looking for a basic laptop for my GF and I have a gig of ram hanging around that would replace that measly 512mb instantly. Good find if it's true.

Good deal, OP. Can we use the BB 10% - 12% coupon to it?

Also the $299 final price is after rebates?

Jasonlh1 said: Lowest advertised price for a laptop @ BB this year!
Model# ML6230

Link

Typical low end laptop. Celeron with 512MB.

Cheers!

DealORama said: Good deal, OP. Can we use the BB 10% - 12% coupon to it?

Also the $299 final price is after rebates?

Model# ML6230

Link

Cheers!

Bestbuy rarely does rebates on laptops anymore, and the coupons are usually only good on accessories, not the laptops themselves.

this strikes me as one of the bb deals that have regional pricing...if it is a real deal. 299 in some places and 349 in others.

Edit: Um...did I call that or what?

Wookieboy said: Hmmm if it's true I wonder if this would apply http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/en_US/images/external/emailpdf/100107_oct_ese_coupons.pdf . It doesn't list PC's as an exclusion so it would be worth a shot I guess. Been looking for a basic laptop for my GF and I have a gig of ram hanging around that would replace that measly 512mb instantly. Good find if it's true.

It may not be excluded, but its also not included in the list of items its good on.

Interesting Deal...

You'd probably have to get some ram to make that computer work reasonably well. 512mb for Vista is not enough. Still, it's a great deal. Pop in 2 gigs of ram for $40 and you've got a decent laptop.

Anybody know any good deals on an upgrade to Vista Home Premium? I thought I remember reading about Vista Home Basic being fairly crappy. Any thoughts?

Good deal, butr where is the ad?

I fyou didn't write I would not know you existed.

1lossir said: Ayuson said: Currently showing for $ 549

Thank you for your VALUABLE contribution to the thread.

If you did not write, I would not know you existed.

This deal would be sweet with the recent purchase of Outpost Corsair 2GB (2x1GB) PC2-5300 Notebook Memory yesterday.

dexterali said: Not a bad deal, good computer to give away as gift

tjmightymouse said: I took a chance on the Staples deal as well and won (all rebates are valid)...

My best FW deals:

mightymouse, it was like $600-$800 in mail-in rebates, wasn't it??? Time mailing all that and tracking could have been worth it for a free laptop, but since I already had a laptop, I did not want to spend the time. The deal was early Sept, I think.

I am gonna buy 1 or 2 tonite and do PM next week.

if this is true you probably wants to start buying so-dimm ddr2 now

In 4 1 pickup at store to let it sit there. On Sunday, if it is not $299 will cancel.
Thanks OP.

Looks good to me. Cheap ram makes the bottom line a lot better than it used to be to get one of these up to par.

Link

For the Vista Home Premium

humane said: In 4 1 pickup at store to let it sit there. On Sunday, if it is not $299 will cancel.
Thanks OP.

Congrats you're smart.

I wanted to do the same thing but . . . .

They list six stores for my zip. Out of the six stores only one store has this in stock. And that store is like a six hour round trip away, so no go for me.

What to do?

melissa77 said: This deal would be sweet with the recent purchase of Outpost Corsair 2GB (2x1GB) PC2-5300 Notebook Memory yesterday.

Just about to ask.

Anyone: If I order for instore-pickup today and pickup on sunday. Do they do price adj? If not, return it, do they charge for restocking fee? I've never done this before.

dexterali said: Not a bad deal, good computer to give away as gift

My best FW deals:

Please post links to these forums.

Model# ML6230

Link

Cheers!

Jasonlhl Please thank's to SlickDe@ls..........

hungrydog said: melissa77 said: This deal would be sweet with the recent purchase of Outpost Corsair 2GB (2x1GB) PC2-5300 Notebook Memory yesterday.

Just about to ask.

Anyone: If I order for instore-pickup today and pickup on sunday. Do they do price adj? If not, return it, do they charge for restocking fee? I've never done this before.

As per BB confirmation email:

Low price guarantee:
If your product is available at a lower price in the store at the time of pickup, your credit card and/or Gift Card will automatically be adjusted to reflect the lowest price available.

Skipping 1094 Messages...
BassKozz said: optimist01 said: mikeywl said: I called that Sunday, and received the GC in the mail the next week on Monday.
I got my $50 GC last week I think... it took more than a week to get here, but at least I got it

I'm gonna install Win XP tonight, anyone tried these XP Drivers listed here in the QS? I've downloaded the files, apparently the compilation includes Audio, chipset, media card reader, modem, NIC and Wifi drivers, and Graphics drivers link from Intel is separate. I hope it works, will post my update here later.

Congrats on getting $30, I got a measly $30
As far as XP install goes, just make sure you slip stream the SATA controller drivers, and you should be fine

Thanks, you must be feeling jealous of my $50 GCO (like I'm feeling jealous of $50+30 ) j/k
I'm now trying to install XP and ran into the SATA drivers issue... I don't have an external floppy, so googling up a little bit and I think the best solution (I don't have a floppy drive) is to use nLite to make a cutomized copy of XP and add SATA drivers (and other stuff like SP2 and other drivers). Anyone know a better/easier/quicker solution?

I couldn't find the SATA drivers on Gateway.com by searching for "SATA driver ml6230", then I spent some 10 minutes talking to a Gateway Tech Support Rep trying to explain him that I know what a hard drive is and what I need are the SATA hard drive's drivers for Windows XP. Apparently the concept of drivers for a hard drive was new for him and he thought I didn't know what a hard drive is... He supposedly emailed me the driver, haven't got it in about 10 minutes, but I found the drivers by giving the laptop's serial number on Gateway.com.

Here is the direct dload link:
ftp://ftp.Gateway.com/pub/hardware_support/drivers/win_vista/harddrive/D20035-001-001.exe
Info page:
http://support.Gateway.com/support/drivers/getFile.asp?id=20974&uid=176757554

Edit:
Wow, the nLite is an amazing tool! I first came across their website quite a few years ago but never bothered to try it thanks to laziness I'm now compiling the ISO.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2015