• 1 23458
  • Page
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Best Buy has dropped the A3 down to $199, and you will get 9 free movies (two in the box + two pickup + 5 mail in)

Click

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I see the price of $199 is good still at BB anyone know if you still get the movies at check out?

jimmyzshack (Dec. 22, 2007 @ 1:16p) |

Ok just got back from BB. The only movies where the two in the box.

jimmyzshack (Dec. 22, 2007 @ 3:22p) |

Look at the post date; this thread is nearly 50 days old; the deal was just for the week.

munkyxtc (Dec. 22, 2007 @ 3:43p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Staff Summary

There is some crazy stuff going on for HD dvd players. Maybe we should wait instead of jumping on everydeal. Look like $99 is normal price for HD-A2 and $199 for A3

Overpriced! Get A2 for $99

Anyone want to list a few top reasons why the A3 is better than the A2?

king0fSpades said: There is some crazy stuff going on for HD dvd players. Maybe we should wait instead of jumping on everydeal. Look like $99 is normal price for HD-A2 and $199 for A3

Well, also keep in mind that the A2 is a discontinued model. YMMV on price/availability.

What I really want is a dual version drive for my HTPC, screw those standalone players and they horrific bootup times.

I was looking at the A3s last night at BB and saw no mention of 2 HD movies in the box, only the 2 you could select yourself to get free at checkout

CrazyRus said: Overpriced! Get A2 for $99

Well if you haven't gotten an A2 already, chances are you aren't going to...

arribasn said: I was looking at the A3s last night at BB and saw no mention of 2 HD movies in the box, only the 2 you could select yourself to get free at checkout

Yeah, I'm pretty sure its just 7 free movies (2 will ring up as free at the register, and then the 5 via mail-in rebate). I don't think there are 2 more in the box (unless someone can verify otherwise, and if so, what movies are they?)

I believe Sears has the A3 for $169 for BF... do a buy and PM if you feel lucky. Around here, BB and CC won't PM black friday deals... Which in my opinion is false advertising on their part...

PinwiZ said: arribasn said: I was looking at the A3s last night at BB and saw no mention of 2 HD movies in the box, only the 2 you could select yourself to get free at checkout

Yeah, I'm pretty sure its just 7 free movies (2 will ring up as free at the register, and then the 5 via mail-in rebate). I don't think there are 2 more in the box (unless someone can verify otherwise, and if so, what movies are they?)

I know when they did come with the 2 movies in the box, they were 300 and Bourne Identity. Not sure if the newer boxes still have them or not. Anyone know how to tell?

king0fSpades said: There is some crazy stuff going on for HD dvd players. Maybe we should wait instead of jumping on everydeal. Look like $99 is normal price for HD-A2 and $199 for A3

I'd agree. When Blue ray starts dropping its prices (probably very soon), you know there is going to be a price war or at least some really good deals to be had. From my experience it's always better to wait than to buy now, but that's only if you can wait... Good deal for peeps needing this player right now though.

Let the holiday deals start rollin' in.

Bought the A3 last week and it has the pictures of the free movies in the box. Since I haven't opened it yet I ordered another one for pick-up (new price)and will return the other. There should be 300 & Bourne Identity inside the box plus you pick 2 free movies. Personally I like the way the A3 looks compared to the A2 (pics from Toshiba website). That being said I tried to get the A2, sold out.

Yes BlueRay will drop the price to something like $299.99. But that is still not much of a competition. Unfortunately for Sony, BlueRay will be Beta II.

Maleman said: king0fSpades said: There is some crazy stuff going on for HD dvd players. Maybe we should wait instead of jumping on everydeal. Look like $99 is normal price for HD-A2 and $199 for A3

I'd agree. When Blue ray starts dropping its prices (probably very soon), you know there is going to be a price war or at least some really good deals to be had. From my experience it's always better to wait than to buy now, but that's only if you can wait...

If you always wait, and never buy- you end up with nothing.

VRTS800 said: Yes BlueRay will drop the price to something like $299.99. But that is still not much of a competition. Unfortunately for Sony, BlueRay will be Beta II.

I'd agree HD has the upper hand now, but unlike the old Beta/VHS war, Sony will have the ever popular PS3 that will utilize Blue Ray. Therefore, it is probably less likely to end up like the old Betamax did (I still remember mine), which is virtually extinct. Who knows, it might end up like the DVD-R/DVD+R/RW war that people were saying long ago that one would win out but what ended up happening, was we got was a device that could do both.

not really. you end up with more savings

Maleman said:
I'd agree HD has the upper hand now, but unlike the old Beta/VHS war, Sony will have the ever popular PS3 that will utilize Blue Ray.

I think the PS3/BluRay argument is good, but a little specious, because of this idea:

I'd agree VHS has the upper hand now, but Sony will have the ever popular Betacam that will utilize Beta.
The first gen camcorders were wildly popular, but weren't enough to save the format. Then of course, you could go the route of...
I'd agree that Digital Cassettes have the upper hand now, but Sony will have the ever popular MiniDisc players.

...in which case, a completely different format (CD-R & R/W) took over.

rampike said: not really. you end up with more savings

It's not really savings if you never spend money. You you wait forever to save a few buck but now you are a few generations behind.

Hey, did you know that the old Packard Bell 166Mhz computer I paid $3500 for in 1995 can be had for under $2 now? The argument with any decpreciating item is just dumb [see my example]

There will be two format from now to the end of time. Bluray and HD will survive, no one will win the war. Look at UMD for PSP, sony will keep producing it for games and movie or pro duo memory stick. sony and studio will keep producing bluray even if the market is 90%HD. Now you ppl shut up about the war already.

comparing the A2 & A3 deals:

A2: can get one for $99, but hard to find.
A3: can get one for $199. for $100 more, you get a arguably better machine and four movies instantly.

I think the A3 deal may actually be the better one - or am I smoking something here?

Can we stay on topic here? Has anyone done instore pickup on this and seen that it still has the 2 free movies in the box still?

either way, I wished I hadn't jumped on the 360+Heroes+2 deal last week. would much rather own the standalone A2/A3 than the add-on.

kingchicken said: comparing the A2 & A3 deals:

A3: can get one for $199. for $100 more, you get a arguably better machine and four movies instantly.

I think the A3 deal may actually be the better one - or am I smoking something here?

Honestly, most reviews biased or otherwise are pretty much stating the A3, is the same as the A2 with faster startup times. The additional movies help to sweeten the deal. If you are in the market for HD either is a good buy; basically in the end if you can accept the instantly free movies are worth $25/each then the deal is the same really.

I couldn't get the A2 from wally world but I did try the BB link this morning. I want to get that for my folks. Me, I'm looking to replace an A1 with an A3 from Sears on BF.

is the 2 movies in the box a confirmed thing??? can someone chime in...

First off, practically nobody thinks that the A3 is any better than the A2, and some prefer the A2. See AVSForum threads for details. Second, it is not clear whether the A3 boxes still contain the 2 movies (300 and Bourne Identity) and there is no way to find out that I know of, other than going to BB and looking at the boxes...

phatkrazy said: There will be two format from now to the end of time. Bluray and HD will survive, no one will win the war. Look at UMD for PSP, sony will keep producing it for games and movie or pro duo memory stick. sony and studio will keep producing bluray even if the market is 90%HD. Now you ppl shut up about the war already.

Yeah I doubt any format will become extinct like the old Betamax did and like I was saying, you never know we could end up with a device take can accept both formats. Especially because now both formats can be integrated into your computer and played back, both formats enjoy a wider spectrum of usability and versatility that the old beta/vhs war didn't have.

Just my two cents.

if there are 2 dvd's inside, this is pretty decent deal...i mean the 9 dvd's are atleast 120-140...hmmm - tempted to get this...

thoughts?

I'm not a hardcore A/V guy but i find it hard to believe that A3 is not "any better" than A2. Might be true, but very counter intuitive.

halo0 said:
First off, practically nobody thinks that the A3 is any better than the A2, and some prefer the A2. See AVSForum threads for details. Second, it is not clear whether the A3 boxes still contain the 2 movies (300 and Bourne Identity) and there is no way to find out that I know of, other than going to BB and looking at the boxes...

10dulkar said: kingchicken said: comparing the A2 & A3 deals:

is the 2 movies in the box a confirmed thing??? can someone chime in...

Well, I bought last night at $249 and yes the box says the movies are inside (haven't opened yet) -- Now I have to drive BACK to Best Buy to price match to get the $50 back; and that is after driving BACK to Circuit City to return the $197 A2.. Oh and now I have an A2 from Wal-Mart for $98 here -- I don't need two HD-DVD players though lol...

actually, the a3 is arguable worse...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=929836
summary: the a2 has better optical audio out

munkyxtc said: rampike said: not really. you end up with more savings

It's not really savings if you never spend money. You you wait forever to save a few buck but now you are a few generations behind.

Hey, did you know that the old Packard Bell 166Mhz computer I paid $3500 for in 1995 can be had for under $2 now? The argument with any decpreciating item is just dumb [see my example]

Rampike is waiting to buy until it's less than $1.00...then less than 50 cents...then etc etc. The good news is the Nintendo his kids wanted for Xmas 15 years ago is close to his target price. He's had a bit of trouble upgrading his 8-track player in his Yugo though, cassette decks haven't come down enough for him yet... And that 100 pound 21" Sony Trinitron CRT for his home office? Forget about it! He's saved well over $1000 by waiting to upgrade his 13" monochrome monitor to that bad boy! Of course, he's still waiting for better pricing on all of the above, so he's saved tons!

What say you now, smart guy!?

VRTS800 said: Yes BlueRay will drop the price to something like $299.99. But that is still not much of a competition. Unfortunately for Sony, BlueRay will be Beta II.

Sony drops the ball everytime, look at the betamax, minidisc, memory stick and ATRAC, heck they even had to close their online music store becasue they couldn't get that right...

wow bunch of sony/blu-ray hating fools in this thread. whatever helps you sleep at night.

kingchicken said: I'm not a hardcore A/V guy but i find it hard to believe that A3 is not "any better" than A2. Might be true, but very counter intuitive.

Companies release new products and models for all sorts of reasons. Could be for marketing purposes, maybe the new version costs less to produce, thus a greater profit margin ...

The car industry has continually produced "new" versions every year ... not all of them are "better" than the previous year ... You may get more buttons, better gizmos, etc, but the latest model doesn't always make a better car ... (3rd generation Mustangs spring to mind).

(and I'm not even going to mention Micro$oft, or Asbestos, or any of the pharmaceutical "advances" over the years ... Doh!)

kingchicken said: I'm not a hardcore A/V guy but i find it hard to believe that A3 is not "any better" than A2. Might be true, but very counter intuitive.

It's true, the A3 is essentially an A2 in the new 3rd gen chassis (more shiny plastic, rounded corners instead of squared ones.) Both do all the scaling in software (no scaling hardware, unlike in the A30 and A35), both are 1080i only, outputs on the back should be identical. Not sure about the startup times as I've owned an A2 for a while but not an A3.

Whatever you get, just make sure you upgrade the firmware either by downloading it from Toshiba or via the ethernet jack on the back of the unit. The latest A2 firmware speeds things up a bit. The latest firmware for both addresses compatibility issues with displays and movies.

As for the two free movies (300, Bourne Identity) packed in the box, all Toshiba 3rd Gen players should have them in the box (A3, A30, A35). The newer manufactured units should come that way from the factory. Though I think some of the initial units might have been repacked/stickered by a Toshiba rep sent to the stores.

In any case, Best Buy advertised the two free in the box movies in their sales flyers for the last few weeks, so if your box is missing them, just take it back to Best Buy and ask for the movies/swap.

Beware of Open Boxes though, I've seen at least one report where I guy complained to BB that his unit didn't have the movies so they opened a brand new one to give him the movies then resealed the new one and put it back on the floor as open box.

kingchicken said: either way, I wished I hadn't jumped on the 360+Heroes+2 deal last week. would much rather own the standalone A2/A3 than the add-on.

One plus for the 360 HD DVD drive is that you can use it to rip HD DVD movies to your hard drive and play them back (with appropriate software) without the copy protection.

im not a hardcore av guy myself either - but like the other commenters stated - the people over at avsforum (who are hardcore av guys) claim that the a2 is actually a better machine - the load times might be a little slower - but the av quality is "supposedly" better

that being said - im still waiting to see what happens on these backordered $99 a2 units from last nite - as of 12:15 cst, i still havent gotten a cancellation notice (knock on wood)

good if we get the ability to "burn" these cheaply

telamon99 said: kingchicken said: either way, I wished I hadn't jumped on the 360+Heroes+2 deal last week. would much rather own the standalone A2/A3 than the add-on.

One plus for the 360 HD DVD drive is that you can use it to rip HD DVD movies to your hard drive and play them back (with appropriate software) without the copy protection.

there are A LOT of posts on this topic at AVS. after 10 mins of reading, it seems to be that those "experts" don't seem to be all on the same page. It seems more like a "debate" over there, rather than a "consensus"

albrandwood said: kingchicken said: I'm not a hardcore A/V guy but i find it hard to believe that A3 is not "any better" than A2. Might be true, but very counter intuitive.

Companies release new products and models for all sorts of reasons. Could be for marketing purposes, maybe the new version costs less to produce, thus a greater profit margin ...

The car industry has continually produced "new" versions every year ... not all of them are "better" than the previous year ... You may get more buttons, better gizmos, etc, but the latest model doesn't always make a better car ... (3rd generation Mustangs spring to mind).

(and I'm not even going to mention Micro$oft, or Asbestos, or any of the pharmaceutical "advances" over the years ... Doh!)

Skipping 264 Messages...
jimmyzshack said: Ok just got back from BB. The only movies where the two in the box.

Look at the post date; this thread is nearly 50 days old; the deal was just for the week.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014