• 1 234515
  • Page
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
WalMart normally doesn't match their store prices to their online prices, but they're making an exception for their Magnavox digital-to-analog TV converter boxes described here because the product isn't available online.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
best box out there Channel Master cm7000. i originally bought a insignia from best buy and wal-marts Rca. Idiots at stor... (more)

scoobyvodka (Sep. 29, 2008 @ 10:58a) |

Looks like karma came and bit you in the behind, no? Doesn't feel niec when someone is rude, DOES it? Smartie.

GrAnNySmItH (Oct. 24, 2008 @ 10:12a) |

FYI banned member STPGurl is now known as GrAnNySmItH. Enjoy receiving red and such from her as before

cedarperra (Oct. 24, 2008 @ 2:59p) |

Here is the skinny: These devices will do the minimum required to have an old TV display ATSC or digital "over the air" high definition content. The government specifically required that they do not have high end features beyond the minimum required to avoid people who don't need the device using the coupons. In other words, great for your Grandma and Grandpa. Not good for the average Fatwalleter in most cases. So no VGA, no DVI, no optical audio: no frills at all.

Here is a link to AVS Forums about the Digital to Analog Converter boxes (and other HD tuners): HDTV Reception Hardware

This is one of the better threads [IMO] of the converter boxes currently available: CECB roundup for the lazy and impatient

It appears that the better ones available (through a few days ago) are the Zenith/Insigna/Digital Stream though there are issues with the audio (in Digital 5.1) with some users.

All appears to have there short comings, including this Maganovox unit, the most significant is the lack of ventilation holes in the unit (potential overheating issues).

One of the more anticipated is the Echostar TR-40 for est $40 (or free with coupon) which will not be available until at least June/July. (But that may be later - so applying too early for the coupon which has a 90-day expiration may mean that your coupon might expire before these hit the street). There is talk about extending the expiration but who knows if that would happen.

Duh! It's priced at $29.88. (Clearance pricing?) You're giving them a $40 coupon. Aren't you leaving money on the table?

There don't seem to be any of them at Walmarts near any of the locations I checked (all major metropolitan areas).
I suspect this box will be hard to find even if you are successful in getting the PM.

I have not seen these boxes advertised anywhere in Eastern Massachusetts.

A Plug-In version would be useless to me; I watch Cable TV.

A Battery-Operated version for my Outdoor Portable TV might be handy, though. I wonder if they'll make one ?

Can you use these boxes as TV Tuners for LCD Monitors ?
LCD Monitors are usually far less expensive than LCD TV's.

Anyone know of a good Web SIte that explains what these boxes can do ?

I haven't even gotten my coupons yet

werent all these retailers like bessyby heavily fined for all the commotion over the switch to digital . seems like they will should be giving something
to the consumer rather than just handing $$$$$$ over to the govt..????????????

SalemCat said: Can you use these boxes as TV Tuners for LCD Monitors ?
LCD Monitors are usually far less expensive than LCD TV's.

No unless your LCD monitor has composite or RCA inputs. Also, if your LCD monitor does not have speakers, you'll need to account for that.

LCD TV's may have better resolution, viewing angle, etc. Make sure you compare the specs of your monitor to any LCD TV to get an idea of the differences. To use your LCD monitor as a TV, you'll need something like this to start ebay item on TV tuner for LCD monitor -- and depending on how you get TV now, you may need the box per this thread (see more below)


Anyone know of a good Web SIte that explains what these boxes can do ?
Start with: dtv.gov If you get TV signals strictly from the air (antenna), most likely you'll need this converter box beginning in Feb 2009 when they take off most analog TV signals, replacing them with digital signals. This box allows your analog TV to receive in digital signals. If you have cable or satellite, you don't need this box.

larrymoencurly said: WalMart normally doesn't match their store prices to their online prices, but they're making an exception for their Magnavox digital-to-analog TV converter boxes described here because the product isn't available online.

Were you successful [in PM'ing]?

I got my two $40.00 coupons about a month ago. My local Wal-Mart had about 25 of these in-stock, matched the on-line price and I got two of them for FREE.

Thanks for the head-up on the online price, larrymoencurly!

Nope...the one I sent to sold out the Magnavox. They only have the RCA ones left and are pretty generic! I would pass on the RCA.

I'm strictly OTA here re TV. Received my coupons recently. Researched the "big three" boxes including this box from Wally.

Ended up buying a Zenith at CC using a 10% off coupon against their price of sixty bucks. Went for the Zenith after reading any number of reviews of all three boxes (Zenith, Mag, and the one at BB). All the reviews seemed to prefer Zenith. Zenith is also available at Radio Shack, but RS would not give me the 10% off like CC did.

The Mag box from Wally got the worst reviews, HOWEVER, with this kind of pricing I will probably give it a look anyway. It does work, just not as well and the better boxes. Thanks OP!

edit

Sorry I did not understand an earlier poster here who said he got two of the Mag boxes for free. I now realize he meant free after using two $40 coupons. I do not think that is a good deal because:

The prices of the better boxes are likely to fall IMO. Also I expect Congress to remove the coupon expirations. There is an outcry about that.

When I bought my Zenith I did so for cash (CC actually). This was to keep my coupons in my possession for as long as possible. I wanted to try one of the boxes and get a feel for digital reception at my home, but I also wanted to keep my options open. I can always return my Zenith box, or take in a coupon and get a charge credit - within the return period, anyway.

Don't be too quick to surrender those coupons. They are valuable.

SalemCat said:
A Battery-Operated version for my Outdoor Portable TV might be handy, though. I wonder if they'll make one ?


Try looking at those with an "E" in the "Other Features" column: wikipedia on CECB units

The Artec T3A can be had for $4 plus s&h after the $40 coupon: Artec T3A-PRO which sounds like it can be used outdoors (you'll need to verify this).

Great points you're all making. My pain is having received my coupon (s) but like others feeling limited by the current crop of machines (before our coupons expire in June, or July withstanding a government change of heart on the expiration dates, I'm holding my breath...) .
The current best seems to be the RCA DTA800 with a basic electronic programming guide (EPG). However, the Echostar TR-40 will combine a full seven-day EPG with a great price (FAR), but will not ship until June or July!!. Regarding the Magnavox TB100MW9 it's got a great low price, but also has so so reviews. But some are finding that it works fine for their purposes. Latter post said if we only ordered one coupon, we may be able to order a second coupon later if necessary??

Here are three great sites I found that review the current crop of machines (and the TR-40), as well as give other information:

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

where can i get a coupon ???

HI i saw no link or anything to type to get these elusive coupons could you pleas post it so everyone else can get one to please? thanks


lenosik said: where can i get a coupon ???

Text

bob12751 said: Great points you're all making. My pain is having received my coupon (s) but like others feeling limited by the current crop of machines (before our coupons expire in June, or July withstanding a government change of heart on the expiration dates, I'm holding my breath...) .
The current best seems to be either the Zenith DTT900, or the Insignia NS-DXA1 (essentially the same machine with a different brand stuck on). However, the Echostar TR-40 (which will combine on screen programming with a great price, will have more bang for the buck then present machines but will not ship until June or July!!). Regarding the Magnavox TB100MW9 it's got a great low price, but also has so so reviews. But some are finding that it works fine for their purposes.

Here are three great sites I found that review the current crop of machines (and the TR-40), as well as give other information:

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3


Yeah, Insignia, that's the BB brand I couldn't remember when I wrote my post. It's pretty much the same as the Zenith and of course 10% off is easy at BB. But I did read a couple of reviews saying the Insignia might have some sound issues. So I bought the Zenith. FWIW, it seems to work OK - quite cool actually.

BTW

Buying this box has taught me what an idiot I am. When I think of all the SDTV deals I have passed up in these last few years, even a few flat screen deals. But no, I was WAY too smart to buy those great deals. After all, thought I, they would be obsolete really soon. But of course these boxes change all that for anyone who wants digital SDTV. And digital SDTV doesn't look bad at all, at least not to me.

But no, I was WAY too smart to bite on those great deals. God, sometimes I am SUCH a jackass. It's disappointing <hangs head>.

verydryice said: link for the coupon

Yeah but you gotta warn people that, as of today anyway, these stupid coupons EXPIRE fewer than 90 days after you receive them. I never would have sent for my coupons had I known that. I applied on the first day, before they put up the expiration warning.

The passing of time for sure favors the buyer in this matter. I expect prices to fall and I also expect better boxes to become available.

It's OK to buy a box today for cash. The Mag box mentioned by the OP might be a good one to buy if you just want to try DTV. But it's very early, and way too early to be sending for and/or spending your coupons, at least IMO. You might wish later that you had 'em . . . . like on BF for example.

Dont forget, you have to pay taxes on the full amount,Not the amount after the coupon

I'm in the same boat as I received my $40 discount cards that have to be used by 05/30/08.

If I had it to do over again I would have waited to sign up for the program......

kshell said: Duh! It's priced at $29.88. (Clearance pricing?) You're giving them a $40 coupon. Aren't you leaving money on the table?

It's a $40 COUPON, not a forty dollar bill. You don't get change back from a coupon. This concludes Econ 101.

guardian44 said: verydryice said: link for the coupon

Yeah but you gotta warn people that, as of today anyway, these stupid coupons EXPIRE fewer than 90 days after you receive them. I never would have sent for my coupons had I known that. I applied on the first day, before they put up the expiration warning.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
The 90 expiration warning has been in effect from day 1.
You should have done a bit of research before jumping in.
Buyer beware.


HOWEVER....if this info is correct below the coupons might be gone by July-August
at this rate.

Look Here

Guardian44 said: Buying this box has taught me what an idiot I am. When I think of all the SDTV deals I have passed up in these last few years, even a few flat screen deals. But no, I was WAY too smart to buy those great deals. After all, thought I, they would be obsolete really soon. But of course these boxes change all that for anyone who wants digital SDTV. And digital SDTV doesn't look bad at all, at least not to me.

Don't be so hard on yourself. You can expect a bunch of HDTV deals this Christmas season, followed by a tidal wave of deals next February when all the publicity about the big changeover hits the media. HDTV prices are continuing to drop. The best days are still ahead.

480i only, unable to receive 720p or 1080i HDTV program

Somebody please tell me if this will work.

I have an HDTV with built in ATSC tuner and have OTA HD Antenna. So right now it picks up the free OTA channels (2-13). However I have an analog TiVo.Obviously the TiVo cannot pickup the signal from the OTA antenna.
So now if I get this convertor box,feed the OTA Antenna to this convetor box and feed the output of the convertor box to TiVo, will the TiVo pickup the basic channels?The guy in WalMart electronics dept swears that this will not work but am nott convinced. If this converter box can truly convert OTA digital signal to analog then the TiVo should recognize it right? TiVo is not connected to phone line but can wirelessly access internet.

dealwatcher2003 said: Somebody please tell me if this will work.

I have an HDTV with built in ATSC tuner and have OTA HD Antenna. So right now it picks up the free OTA channels (2-13). However I have an analog TiVo.Obviously the TiVo cannot pickup the signal from the OTA antenna.
So now if I get this convertor box,feed the OTA Antenna to this convetor box and feed the output of the convertor box to TiVo, will the TiVo pickup the basic channels?The guy in WalMart electronics dept swears that this will not work but am nott convinced. If this converter box can truly convert OTA digital signal to analog then the TiVo should recognize it right? TiVo is not connected to phone line but can wirelessly access internet.


I am in agreement with WalMart. These boxes converts [digital] OTA signals to analog so that your analog TV can receive a signal. If your TiVo can NOT (edited for typo)receive [any] OTA signals, I wouldn't think that this box would help it.

Ivanist said: Nope...the one I sent to sold out the Magnavox. They only have the RCA ones left and are pretty generic! I would pass on the RCA.

You got it completely opposite. Read the reviews. RCA is one of the best converter CURRENTLY available. I just picked up the RCA converter yesterday from WalMart. The tuner is very sensitive. I only used a cheap (like one step above $1 store cheap) indoor antenna, mounting it right above the TV. I was able to get EVERY CHANNEL there is around my area. Yes, I have to pay $13 extra after the $40 coupon, but it is a very small price to pay to get something that works way better (from what I read, since I don't have the Mag converter).

The RCA one is especially good for seniors, with very large buttons and simple remote and functionality. Took me only few minutes to setup.

takethat said: 480i only, unable to receive 720p or 1080i HDTV program
____________________________________________________________________________
Hey genius....these are DIGITAL converters....NOT HDTV

zgenerale said: dealwatcher2003 said: Somebody please tell me if this will work.

I have an HDTV with built in ATSC tuner and have OTA HD Antenna. So right now it picks up the free OTA channels (2-13). However I have an analog TiVo.Obviously the TiVo cannot pickup the signal from the OTA antenna.
So now if I get this convertor box,feed the OTA Antenna to this convetor box and feed the output of the convertor box to TiVo, will the TiVo pickup the basic channels?The guy in WalMart electronics dept swears that this will not work but am nott convinced. If this converter box can truly convert OTA digital signal to analog then the TiVo should recognize it right? TiVo is not connected to phone line but can wirelessly access internet.


I am in agreement with WalMart. These boxes converts [digital] OTA signals to analog so that your analog TV can receive a signal. If your TiVo can receive OTA signals, I wouldn't think that this box would help it.

zgenerale doesn't seem to be answering to the scenario dealwather was asking. He said his TiVo CANNOT receive OTA signal (I assume dealwatcher is referring to ditial OTA signal).

The WalMart guy ought to be shot. How can someone working in the TV department getting such a simple/obvious question wrong. That is exactly what a "converter" is for: converting digital OTA signals for a video device that has only analog tuner (non-HD TiVo in this case) or no tuner at all.

The only catch is now your TiVo cannot directly change channels by itself any more. You will need to setup TiVo's IR blaster to use IR signal to change channels on your converter before it starts recording. You might want to check if your TiVo supports the model of the converter your are buying using the IR blaster. This is only needed if you want to have TiVo changing channels for you. If you tune the converter to the channel you want to record ahead of time, TiVo will record just fine.

Here is a link to AVS Forums about the Digital to Analog Converter boxes (and other HD tuners): HDTV Reception Hardware

This is one of the better threads [IMO] of the converter boxes currently available: CECB roundup for the lazy and impatient

It appears that the better ones available (through a few days ago) are the Zenith/Insigna/Digital Stream though there are issues with the audio (in Digital 5.1) with some users.

All appears to have there short comings, including this Maganovox unit, the most significant is the lack of ventilation holes in the unit (potential overheating issues).

One of the more anticipated is the Echostar TR-40 for est $40 (or free with coupon) which will not be available until at least June/July. (But that may be later - so applying too early for the coupon which has a 90-day expiration may mean that your coupon might expire before these hit the street). There is talk about extending the expiration but who knows if that would happen.

These are two other units with a low all-in price (after coupon):
Tivax STB-T9 - approx $30 shipped for two after the coupons. Here is a thread on this unit to start (may not be the "official" or most comprehensive): AVS Tivax STB-T9 EPG

Artec T3A-PRO - approx $20 shipped for two after coupons. Here is a thread on this unit to start (may not be the "official" or most comprehensive): AVS - Artec T3A Pro NTIA CECB

tigerjuju said: zgenerale said: dealwatcher2003 said: Somebody please tell me if this will work.

I have an HDTV with built in ATSC tuner and have OTA HD Antenna. So right now it picks up the free OTA channels (2-13). However I have an analog TiVo.Obviously the TiVo cannot pickup the signal from the OTA antenna.
So now if I get this convertor box,feed the OTA Antenna to this convetor box and feed the output of the convertor box to TiVo, will the TiVo pickup the basic channels?The guy in WalMart electronics dept swears that this will not work but am nott convinced. If this converter box can truly convert OTA digital signal to analog then the TiVo should recognize it right? TiVo is not connected to phone line but can wirelessly access internet.


I am in agreement with WalMart. These boxes converts [digital] OTA signals to analog so that your analog TV can receive a signal. If your TiVo can receive OTA signals, I wouldn't think that this box would help it.

zgenerale doesn't seem to be answering to the scenario dealwather was asking. He said his TiVo CANNOT receive OTA signal (I assume dealwatcher is referring to ditial OTA signal).

The WalMart guy ought to be shot. How can someone working in the TV department getting such a simple/obvious question wrong. That is exactly what a "converter" is for: converting digital OTA signals for a video device that has only analog tuner (non-HD TiVo in this case) or no tuner at all.

The only catch is now your TiVo cannot directly change channels by itself any more. You will need to setup TiVo's IR blaster to use IR signal to change channels on your converter before it starts recording. You might want to check if your TiVo supports the model of the converter your are buying using the IR blaster. This is only needed if you want to have TiVo changing channels for you. If you tune the converter to the channel you want to record ahead of time, TiVo will record just fine.


I am ok if TiVo Cannot change channels by itself, I think it has IR blaster capability (Model is TiVo Series 2, got from the ratshack deal). Will go to wallyworld and pickup the Maganvox converter box and see if this works!Thanks for the feedback.Crap am an electronics engineer myself and was wondering when the electronics guy convinced me hands down that I was wrong!!

Edit: I am ok to spend $10,$20 and get a better model that doesn't have serious shortcomings.My main purpose to record KERA-13 for my kids so they can watch cartoon when they come back from school.If that purpose is served,am a happy camper!

tigerjuju said: zgenerale doesn't seem to be answering to the scenario dealwather was asking. He said his TiVo CANNOT receive OTA signal (I assume dealwatcher is referring to ditial OTA signal).


Sorry, it was a typo on my part. I did mean if the TiVo can NOT receive OTA signals (presuming any), then this box wouldn't help. (I am only going with what dealwatcher2003 is stating as I'm not familar with the TiVo inputs).

(My original post will be corrected)

tigerjuju said: Ivanist said: Nope...the one I sent to sold out the Magnavox. They only have the RCA ones left and are pretty generic! I would pass on the RCA.

You got it completely opposite. Read the reviews. RCA is one of the best converter CURRENTLY available. I just picked up the RCA converter yesterday from WalMart. The tuner is very sensitive. I only used a cheap (like one step above $1 store cheap) indoor antenna, mounting it right above the TV. I was able to get EVERY CHANNEL there is around my area. Yes, I have to pay $13 extra after the $40 coupon, but it is a very small price to pay to get something that works way better (from what I read, since I don't have the Mag converter).

The RCA one is especially good for seniors, with very large buttons and simple remote and functionality. Took me only few minutes to setup.


Is this the model you are referring to?RCA Digital TV Converter Box, DTA800. Sells for $49.99 at wally

LetsGoMets1 said: takethat said: 480i only, unable to receive 720p or 1080i HDTV program
____________________________________________________________________________
Hey genius....these are DIGITAL converters....NOT HDTV


Can't blame him. Lots of
people confuse High Definition TV with Digital TV. Digital TV just means the signal is broadcasted in digital format instead of analog format. HDTV means the video must meet a minimum quality requirement, such as 720p/1080i. High Def videos are only broadcasted in digital format. But not everything you get from digital signal are High Def. Also even if you get the High Def video form digital broadcast, it's up to your tuners and TV to display the final video in High Def. These converters are meant to only convert the signals from digital to analog. They are not meant to output high def videos, which would cost a lot more to make.

These coupons issues by government are meant to help lower the cost for people to adapt to digital broadcast since they are forcing everyone to change. It is not intended to pay to help you to upgrade your home theater to the latest and the greatest. That's why you will only see the low-end converter models qualify for this coupon.

dealwatcher2003 said: Is this the model you are referring to? RCA Digital TV Converter Box, DTA800. Sells for $49.99 at wally
Yeap, that's the one.

on the bottom of the website it says $49.85 ( 9.85 with coupon)

dealwatcher2003 said: I am ok if TiVo Cannot change channels by itself, I think it has IR blaster capability.
Having IR Blaster does not guarantee it can work with all models of electronics. It works like an universal remote. It must have support for the model of the equipment before you can program the IR Blaster to send the IR signal the target equipment can recognize.

Skipping 525 Messages...
FYI banned member STPGurl is now known as GrAnNySmItH. Enjoy receiving red and such from her as before



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014