• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Well, picked the generator up today, after going to the 2nd store in Hyattsville, MD. It will be a while until I unpack it, as I am out of town and it will be for use when I return home.

Also picked up 2 smoke detectors and 2 fire extinguishers. Disappointed with the one extinguisher that I opened. The guage was in the "red" area. Guess I'll have to make another trip to return the extinguishers.

Bought 1 yesterday. Set it up tonight and after filling it with oil and gas - it started on the first pull.

Plugged in a 500 watt halogen work light and a 5.5 HP shop vac and it ran fine. Light did not even go dim or flicker when I turned the vac on and off.

Only ran it for about 15 minutes. Not super quiet, but definetly not very loud or annoying. Has a rather large muffler.

I am considering buying another one if they still have any later this week.

Anyone have any ideas for a good wheel kit for this thing?

argeri said: Anyone have any ideas for a good wheel kit for this thing?
Yeah.

I was thinking a person could build a dolly out of cast off 2x4s and 2x2s & then put some casters on it. That way you could move this 6.5 HP unit around without spending some big $$ on a wheel kit.

I think this could work since this 6.5 HP unit I'd guess weighs considerably less than my 13 HP KingCraft -- it may weigh as much. Just a thought.

WoozyMoose said: I was thinking a person could build a dolly out of cast off 2x4s and 2x2s & then put some casters on it. That way you could move this 6.5 HP unit around without spending some big $$ on a wheel kit.

I think this could work since this 6.5 HP unit I'd guess weighs considerably less than my 13 HP KingCraft -- it may weigh as much. Just a thought.

I thought about making a wooden "H" frame or maybe an "I" frame to sit under the bottom. Wheels could be attached. The manual says that this model weighs 100 pounds.

I tested mine for the first time this afternoon. Fill-up with SAE 10W-30 was easy using the included funnel. A spark plug tool is also provided and I removed the plug briefly to inspect.

After filling the tank around 1/4 full, the engine started up on the second pull. It runs fairly quiet due to a decent sized muffler. I started out by plugging my old 1973 Sears Coldspot refrigerator into one outlet via a 25 ft extension cord. The compressor kicked in with barely a shutter from the generator. If that didn't kill it, I figured nothing else I had would!

I added a 60w table lamp and a box fan on high. Future tests will include a 6500 BTU room AC and a CRT television. The generator continued to run for almost two hours on the one gallon of gasoline. I can't report any problems with the AC side. The 12V DC terminals do however run somewhat high on mine. My test meter reads 16.5 volts DC. I would definitely put some kind of regulator inline before using these terminals! Maybe this is standard for RV electrical systems?

I am impressed so far with the performance of this generator and we'll see how long it lasts.

The repair/replacement warranty is one year and there is a toll free number to call. I was disappointed to learn that warranty registration is via an old fashioned USPS post card with no internet option. No clue how many warranty service locations are in the USA. The terms do specify hand delivery or prepaid freight. Shipping could be expensive.

So far, so good with this KingCraft aka clone cHonda. I look forward to reading the experiences of others who bought one.

The firebox is a good deal too, sells for about $75 elsewhere.

I went to the Fuquay-Varina, NC store on Monday night and they were sold out of the 4 or 6 that they had. That was disappointing, but one of the workers was able to / nice enough to call other local stores. Turned out that the Raleigh, NC store off Louisburg Road had 4. I went there Tuesday mid day and there were three left, so now there are two left.

If there are others besides me who have never been to an Aldi:
1. They don't publish their phone numbers
2. They sell bags, so bring your own if you're going to get some groceries
3. It takes a quarter collateral to use a shopping cart

Here's another Jiang Dong page. Not a huge help, but it's in english.

http://jiangdong.en.ec21.com/GC00794843/Gasoline_Generator_Sets.html

dwit said: Could it power, say, 2 medium sized refrigerators? 1?

Maybe 1 fridge and a 550 VA UPS powering 3 Tivos, cable modem, router, and laptop?

Do you just run long extension chords from the various items to plug in?

$4 gal gas x 4 = $16 for 8 hours of power.

kshowtime said: I went to the Fuquay-Varina, NC store on Monday night and they were sold out of the 4 or 6 that they had. That was disappointing, but one of the workers was able to / nice enough to call other local stores. Turned out that the Raleigh, NC store off Louisburg Road had 4. I went there Tuesday mid day and there were three left, so now there are two left.

If there are others besides me who have never been to an Aldi:
1. They don't publish their phone numbers
2. They sell bags, so bring your own if you're going to get some groceries
3. It takes a quarter collateral to use a shopping cart

They don't take credit card either.

Good point -- I forgot to remember. Aldi's will take cash & they will take a debit card -- if using make sure you have your PIIN when you're at the store. Don't let nearby standers see your card or PIIN.

I have 3 Aldis (Rhode Island) about an hour drive from my house. I can't call them to check stock. Does anybody think it is worth it to waste my whole evening looking for one of these? Do these special items generally sell out on the first day or two? Any input from Aldi shoppers would be welcome.

stewart710 said: I have 3 Aldis (Rhode Island) about an hour drive from my house. I can't call them to check stock. Does anybody think it is worth it to waste my whole evening looking for one of these? Do these special items generally sell out on the first day or two? Any input from Aldi shoppers would be welcome.

Based on past experience, I'd check no later than Wednesday if I wanted one. However; Aldi usually keeps their sale items on the shelf until they are sold out, however long it takes. As for quality, I haven't had this generator long enough to decide. It does appear to be a solidly built Honda clone. That, and the low price was my primary motivation for buying.

I'm interested in hearing from RI, too.

I live in northern MA, but have things I can be doing in RI. I can justify the trip if I know which store I am going to, so I can schedule my drive around it.

I struck out in RI last night, these clowns need a phone!

Just got one at the Aldi in Kenosha, WI. They had 5 remaining. Started up on the second pull which was nice. Time will tell if this was a good investment.

My Aldi's "Des Moines, Iowa" Still had several left.
Now I just need to find a cheap wheel kit.
Thanks OP

thank you OP. my aldi had one left - got it and when I was in line employee asked me if I would want a higher wattage one - she sold me the last KingCraft 6500 Watt they had in the store for the same $199 price. FW rules!

lizard4848 said: thank you OP. my aldi had one left - got it and when I was in line employee asked me if I would want a higher wattage one - she sold me the last KingCraft 6500 Watt they had in the store for the same $199 price. FW rules!

Oh man ! You are lucky !
That ones a tested and solid performer. Apart from being on a heavier side it was worth every penny and at 199 its a super hot deal.

A point to be noted is.... ALDI reduces price on their stuff as it gets old, like one person reported getting the GPS unit that I bought for 289 for just 89 !!!

I wonder.... does anyone want to look around for that Laptop they sold ??
If it has been reduced a lot, it will be the best deal ever !

I stumbled across this generator at Sears, looks very similar. It is currently on sale for #314.99, originally $349.99.

Similar Generator at Sears

I too have bought one of these kingcraft 3250 6.5hp generators from poplar bluff MO. So far i've tried a 7amp leaf blower and a 13amp skill saw on it and it bogged down some but it kept on going so im very pleased with it. heres another site that it looks similar too http://www.heartlandamerica.com/browse/item.asp?product=2800-watt-factory-gas-generator&PIN=70384&GUID=11906CF3-22ED-490A-B6E1-197575161D83&DL=IVS8#
OH by the way heres how you figure out the wattage i used 7amp x 110volts = 770watts and the 13amp x 110volts = 1430watts i'll do more testing on it later.

Has anyone checked to see how loud these run? Does anyone have a sound level meter to check?

Thanks in advance

I just got one in the East Providence, RI store. They had their Grand Opening today and had a few more on the shelf at 9am this morning. $199.99

SCinIN said: Has anyone checked to see how loud these run? Does anyone have a sound level meter to check?

Thanks in advance

If you check the thread I provided earlier in this thread on chondas over on the RV site there are lost of folks who have measured these, they are all pretty much the same. I forget the dB reading now but they were all pretty similar in performance. The muffers tend to be pretty good, most of the noise seems to be internal engine noise emanated by the engine itself. Both my original 20 year old Honda and the Champion honda clone made about the same level of noise. Both were ignificantly quieter than my Honda lawn mower which is on the quieter side of a mower. Another subjective measurement is I could have a normal conversation (didn't have to yell) while standing next to either generator. I could not do that standing next to my lawn mower. With either generator located about 15' from my house I could just hear it inside. Not distracting but certainly not silent either.

how much do these weigh ?

bas2000 said: how much do these weigh ?

I haven't put mine on a scale, but the manual says 100 pounds. Add a few more for the gas!

lizard4848 said: thank you OP. my aldi had one left - got it and when I was in line employee asked me if I would want a higher wattage one - she sold me the last KingCraft 6500 Watt they had in the store for the same $199 price. FW rules!
Hoping to duplicate your lucky scenario, I stopped by a store today. They had two of the larger ones, but also still had four of the smaller, tagged at $199. The larger were not tagged. I asked the price, and was told they are $299. Does anyone know if that's correct? The clerk seemed to be trying to recall from memory, so I'm not sure she's right, and there wasn't anyone else around to ask. Any comments on spending the extra $100 for the larger model? If it was $400 more than a year ago, $299 seems good. I don't know much about generators, and don't know that I really need one, but at this price, I may anyway.

Hoping to duplicate your lucky scenario, I stopped by a store today. They had two of the larger ones, but also still had four of the smaller, tagged at $199. The larger were not tagged. I asked the price, and was told they are $299. Does anyone know if that's correct? The clerk seemed to be trying to recall from memory, so I'm not sure she's right, and there wasn't anyone else around to ask. Any comments on spending the extra $100 for the larger model? If it was $400 more than a year ago, $299 seems good. I don't know much about generators, and don't know that I really need one, but at this price, I may anyway.

If you can get that 6500 watt 13 HP KingCraft for $299 --- GRAB IT !!! That is a fantastic deal & $100 less than what I paid in 2007. The only thing is -- make sure you can get it into & out off your vehicle for the ride home -- this is one heavy beast. One you get it assembled with the included wheel kit you can move it around pretty well. BTW I used the plastic wrapping as a cover for mine (make sure it's cooled off after running) -- keeps the dust and grime off it.

ive been thinking about one of these for a long time, but dont know much about them. I see some that you sort of wire into the house? i have a friend that has 1 and he said he just runs an ext cord if/when he loses power up from the basement so he can least get a couple lights going, and even use his stove. is something like this practical?

Just got one of these last night outside Columbus, OH. Good timing since my powers been out since 4pm Sunday.

I like it, I would have preferred the 6500W but this one is running my freezer and saving what remains of our food.

tjwoody said: ive been thinking about one of these for a long time, but dont know much about them. I see some that you sort of wire into the house? i have a friend that has 1 and he said he just runs an ext cord if/when he loses power up from the basement so he can least get a couple lights going, and even use his stove. is something like this practical?

The way your friend uses it(or similar variations), is probably about the way 99% of people do it to power various items.

Don't know how safe/legal it is to actually wire into houses/structures connected to public power grid. You probably really have to know what you're doing there.

was the 199 price still good in columbus??

dwit said:
Don't know how safe/legal it is to actually wire into houses/structures connected to public power grid. You probably really have to know what you're doing there.

it's the whole reason we need a generator, because we're out in the sticks on a well and when the power goes out we also don't have any water. (or phone, VOIP)

so the main breaker has a switch so you only feed power to the house, and don't backfeed the entire neighborhood with the generator.

How much would the shipping cost?

i see lots of people say u may not be able to have a generator in the house cause of fumes? would in the basement be ok?
i dont lose power a lot and when i do its just a few hours, but one of these with just plugging in some basics would be nice! i am also on a well but dont know if i could just run an ext cord from my well pump to the generator. at the min id be able to get a fan, some lights and importanting things like my coffee maker running!

tjwoody said: i see lots of people say u may not be able to have a generator in the house cause of fumes? would in the basement be ok?
i dont lose power a lot and when i do its just a few hours, but one of these with just plugging in some basics would be nice! i am also on a well but dont know if i could just run an ext cord from my well pump to the generator. at the min id be able to get a fan, some lights and importanting things like my coffee maker running!

Cannot stress it enough - NEVER use a fuel powered generator in your house, basement, garage. Even outside, but close to an open door, can suck the carbon monoxide into your house, and people will die. We've already had multiple deaths here in Houston due to misues of generators, after Ike. Go set it outside somewhere, and run an extension cord if necessary to what you want to power up.

Glaeken

so it would seem buying or build a small outdoor structure would best suit it. and just run cords inside. I could set something up right outside my bulkhead so I could run 100 ft or so cords up and through my basement.

im really doing all this because i can not stand interruptions to my pr0n viewing at any time! being in midstroke and losing power is the worst! am i right colebert?!

JaeMarie said: was the 199 price still good in columbus??

Yup. $213 with tax.

tjwoody said: so it would seem buying or build a small outdoor structure would best suit it. and just run cords inside. I could set something up right outside my bulkhead so I could run 100 ft or so cords up and through my basement.

im really doing all this because i can not stand interruptions to my pr0n viewing at any time! being in midstroke and losing power is the worst! am i right colebert?!

The exhaust needs to vent unless you want your next of kin to find your body in midstroke.

scammerG said: tjwoody said: so it would seem buying or build a small outdoor structure would best suit it. and just run cords inside. I could set something up right outside my bulkhead so I could run 100 ft or so cords up and through my basement.

The exhaust needs to vent unless you want your next of kin to find your body in midstroke.

so i could have it in my basement and use something to extend the muffler to be able to vent outside then.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014