• Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I rented a Truck the other day, and shopped around at UHaul, Budget, Penske, and Ryder was by far the cheapest for under 1000 miles.

LINK HERE

I don't think you can use it for one-way rentals. But great for multiply trips or to go pick something up 500 miles away and come back.

Member Summary

A $25/day Ryder Cargo Van? (97.11kB)
Thanks daBomb
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I can't believe it.......

aliyah62 (Jun. 23, 2010 @ 5:41a) |

can't believe...what?

SinglePapa (Jun. 23, 2010 @ 7:17a) |

i dont see anywhere on their site about 1000 free miles!! ????????????

dawson17935 (Jul. 16, 2010 @ 1:37a) |

Is this what the $25/day Ryder Cargo Vans look like?

[The $25/day online rate is actually for the older Panel Vans, but many locations will upgrade to a Sprinter Metro Van at no extra cost.]

Since I can not imagine an in city move being more than 1000 miles, that basically equates to free mileage.
And seeing as how that really becomes a great deal if you are moving over 15 miles, or need multiple trips.
At 40 bucks, I can not think of a better idea.

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.

This is great for local moves only. Unfortunately (for me) they don't offer one way.

nice find op. I rent the pickup trucks from Uhaul and they charge $0.59 a mile +$20 rental. Ryder doesn't have pickup trucks, but I might be able to get away with a panel van and free miles so this could be a potential savings (if I go more then 9 miles)

great deal...i'm gonna need this next week!

dang missed this offer by about a week. moved last month. poopie. thanks for the post op.

Penske is usually better for one-way.

Nice timing on this offer...lots of moving going on

I compared the lowest priced rental car at Houston Hobby $87 per tax Jan 19, 2009 with this panel van for $25 and it is a no brainer to use for a weekday car rental especially during weekdays in expensive markets. Heck with an air mattress and truck stop shower. this could save a little on hotels.

I don't think they will let you rent it to go to the inaugration though.

Just found out that the owners of the condo i have been renting are letting the place go into forclosure. Nice. Thanks OP, I'll be needing this!

my sister is moving this weekend, and i'll be moving at the end of the month. thanks!

where does it say that the first 1000 miles is free?

WhoIsThat said: where does it say that the first 1000 miles is free?
Click on Continue, then it says "* Selected vehicle includes 1000 miles, each additional mile $0.89"

I remember seeing this about a month ago after I spent $20 in mileage charge on a Uhaul Van rental. It seems like the %25 off is the promotion, and the 1000 miles free is the standard. I hope it is, I may have to do a round trip from Las Vegas to Fresno later this month, and it would be awfully convenient if I can take one of those Vans (800 mile round trip).

I'm moving by the end of the month. Thank you very much, jetboat76.

tracker2208 said: WhoIsThat said: where does it say that the first 1000 miles is free?
Click on Continue, then it says "* Selected vehicle includes 1000 miles, each additional mile $0.89"

I remember seeing this about a month ago after I spent $20 in mileage charge on a Uhaul Van rental. It seems like the %25 off is the promotion, and the 1000 miles free is the standard. I hope it is, I may have to do a round trip from Las Vegas to Fresno later this month, and it would be awfully convenient if I can take one of those Vans (800 mile round trip).

Awesome. Thanks.

Great deal, moving at the end of month. 1000 miles free will really come in handy.

Thanks, sounds good. Has anyone used this? Why does it say "Coupon required at counter" on the make reservation screen? I cant get a live person on the phone now, have to call tomorrow.

Thanks OP! Will use this on Thursday. Told BF about it a few weeks ago and he wasn't interested, says we'll borrow a friend's truck. Now that pickup truck is "too small" (really, you think?) so back to my idea in the first place! Yet now he seems to think renting a truck was his idea since he brought it up this time. Isn't that how it always works with men?

tracker2208 said: WhoIsThat said: where does it say that the first 1000 miles is free?

Great find, OP. If you end up with more than a 1000 mile RT or a Ryder isn't convenient, Enterprise is the only place I've seen with unlimited mileage. I took advantage of that and put 1400 miles on a cargo van from SF-San Diego and a few side trips. The unlimited part varies literally from location to location, so shop around if you don't find one at first. Ryder ends up being about $10 a day cheaper for a cargo van, though, so much better deal.

I got this deal when I needed to pickup something from my parents house (about 300 miles from where I live). Made the one day trip and was by far the cheapest option.

Ryder requires you to get insurance b/c they are considered commercial vehicles ... adds $25. Also if you geta diesel fuel can be a considerable amount. My truck got ~10 miles/gal.

All told cost ~$150 for the van, insurance, diesel. Still a good deal.

anyone else see this in real small type?

Cost/mile: .89 *First 1,000 miles are FREE.
* Coupon required at counter

Um, what coupon? I see a 25% online reservations coupon but that doesn't mention 1000 free miles.

Anyone else see this?

seodude said: anyone else see this in real small type?

Um, what coupon? I see a 25% online reservations coupon but that doesn't mention 1000 free miles.

Anyone else see this?

My brother just made a reservation online. At the confirmation page, there was a coupon for 25% off and free 1,000 miles. I hope this helps.

jakemoney said: Ryder requires you to get insurance b/c they are considered commercial vehicles ... adds $25. Also if you geta diesel fuel can be a considerable amount. My truck got ~10 miles/gal

Double check your policy/credit card. At least for my insurance company, under 10000 lbs GVW is covered, regardless of if it's a van or truck. Nicely enough, the Enterprise cargo van weighed 9990.

You're required to insure the vehicle to their requirements, but I'm 99% sure they can't force you to purchase their insurance as a condition of rental. If they gave "commercial vehicle" as a reason that sounds very suspicious - brings up all sorts of other requirements, like having a CDL since you're not hauling your own goods in a truck over 26k GWV.

Edit: and in fact, from their website: "Q: Does my auto insurance cover my rental?
A: In most states it does not. You should contact your insurance agent to make sure before you arrive at Ryder. If your insurance company does not cover the rental, Ryder's Rental Protection Coverage would be needed." Should be able to get $25 a day.

lazybucks said: jakemoney said: Ryder requires you to get insurance b/c they are considered commercial vehicles ... adds $25. Also if you geta diesel fuel can be a considerable amount. My truck got ~10 miles/gal

Double check your policy/credit card. At least for my insurance company, under 10000 lbs GVW is covered, regardless of if it's a van or truck. Nicely enough, the Enterprise cargo van weighed 9990.

You're required to insure the vehicle to their requirements, but I'm 99% sure they can't force you to purchase their insurance as a condition of rental. If they gave "commercial vehicle" as a reason that sounds very suspicious - brings up all sorts of other requirements, like having a CDL since you're not hauling your own goods in a truck over 26k GWV.

Edit: and in fact, from their website: "Q: Does my auto insurance cover my rental?
A: In most states it does not. You should contact your insurance agent to make sure before you arrive at Ryder. If your insurance company does not cover the rental, Ryder's Rental Protection Coverage would be needed." Should be able to get $25 a day.

that sounds right.... Geico had stated to me that the weight should be more than 2200 lbs... so YMMV

prastogi said: lazybucks said: jakemoney said: Ryder requires you to get insurance b/c they are considered commercial vehicles ... adds $25. Also if you geta diesel fuel can be a considerable amount. My truck got ~10 miles/gal

You're required to insure the vehicle to their requirements, but I'm 99% sure they can't force you to purchase their insurance as a condition of rental. If they gave "commercial vehicle" as a reason that sounds very suspicious - brings up all sorts of other requirements, like having a CDL since you're not hauling your own goods in a truck over 26k GWV[GVW].

A: In most states it does not. You should contact your insurance agent to make sure before you arrive at Ryder. If your insurance company does not cover the rental, Ryder's Rental Protection Coverage would be needed."
Should be able to get $25 a day.

that sounds right.... Geico had stated to me that the weight should be more than 2200 lbs... so YMMV

I spent most of the PM researching the insurance part of this fantastic 1,000 Free Miles $25/day Cargo Van Rental Deal, and here's what I've learned so far:
  • Regardless of the rental vehicle's GVW, neither my regular car insurance nor any of my MasterCard and Visa car rental perks will cover the insurance for a rented van without back seats, or for ANY vehicle that is rated to carry more than a 2000 pound payload (1 ton); and

• In NY, CT, and MA, Ryder's daily insurance fee generally ranges from $30-$55 per day (depending on the amount of the deductible), but for some reason (maybe human error?), I was quoted just $18-$22/day for insurance by the Scranton, PA location; and

• Although the weekly rental fee generally equals 5x the daily rate, the Ryder insurance fee applies for all 7 days.

I'll try to update as I learn more --

The $25/day rental deal is actually for a Panel Van (which has about 10' of normal height floor space for cargo, and only gets about 12mpg), but...

At no extra cost, many locations will upgrade to a newer, taller Sprinter Metro Van (which has about 14' of clear floor space, and gets about 22mpg).

Any way or any other deals for "one-way" moves?

Mr0ffic3r said: Any way or any other deals for "one-way" moves?

I am also looking for a rental vehicle to move from Ontario, Canada to California. Any suggestions ??

Looks like a decent deal to me. I've just been pricing with UHAUL.

Any idea what the interior dimensions of the Sprinter van are? Is it tall enough for a queen sized mattress?

IHaveACold said: seodude said: anyone else see this in real small type?

Anyone else see this?

My brother just made a reservation online. At the confirmation page, there was a coupon for 25% off and free 1,000 miles. I hope this helps.

Alas, I just made my reservation online. There is the 25% off coupon on the confirmation page, but it says nothing about 1,000 free miles. It only says "get 25% off the rental daily fixed rate and mileage charge." Hmmm...

lbwarped said: IHaveACold said: seodude said: anyone else see this in real small type?

Anyone else see this?

Alas, I just made my reservation online. There is the 25% off coupon on the confirmation page, but it says nothing about 1,000 free miles. It only says "get 25% off the rental daily fixed rate and mileage charge." Hmmm...

I see your point about the placement of the "coupon required" asterisk right next to the 1,000 Miles Free Offer (when the coupon doesn't refer to it at all).

But FWIW, it does say: "ODOM FREE: 1,000" under the title "DATE/TIME/MILEAGE INFO" on the Confirmation Page which was printed out by my local rental office.

I rented a truck from Ryder last week using this deal. I needed a van for about a 350 mile move. The morning I got there they told me they didn't rent regular vans at that location, and upgraded me to a 14' parcel truck for the same $25 rate. Normally I wouldn't mind the upgrade, except it was a pig on diesel, and I spent $75 refueling the dang thing before I returned it. They also gave me the story about having to get their insurance because it was a commercial vehicle. Unfortunately, it was too early to reach my insurance agent, so I spent the extra $20 for their coverage.

I never liked Ryder trucks, they always breakdown. Then you call the Roadside service and they send the call to India. Good luck explaining you're on the 138 in Pearblossum. It might as well be the moon, to those guys.

Take it to a Penske and see if they will match it. I bet they will! They got the newest trucks in the industry and the best service. There the only ones I use now!

lbwarped said: Any idea what the interior dimensions of the Sprinter van are? Is it tall enough for a queen sized mattress?

yes, it will fit a queen mattress. It can also fit candles and a barry white album.

$60 for a truck including $1000 miles? That really sounds too good to be true. Budget for the same is about $100 or so. I dont mind spending the extra $40 as i'm more concerned with reliability of them having the truck/size that i order there on the day i need it. Can anyone post their experience with this? I have had good luck with Budget.

I just used them. Good experience, they did not have the size truck I ordered (the $45 a day size) and they upgraded me to the next size for the same price. Did not have to purchase insurance, only gas which cost $40 for prob around 100 miles total. Still less expensive than Uhaul. No charge for mileage under 1000K

>>>>In NY, CT, and MA, Ryder's daily insurance fee generally ranges from $30-$55 per day (depending on the amount of the deductible), but for some reason (maybe human error?), I was quoted just $18-$22/day for insurance by the Scranton, PA location

The insurance rate probably varies due to the legal climate in each state. When I worked in the rental car business, NY had by far the most expensive rates because of their insurance rules (including vicarious liability).......

Doesnt your auto insurance policy usually cover you for rented vehicles including moving trucks?

If I keep buying stuff, the only place I will be moving is to the street! I wonder if I will need a truck for that?

Skipping 61 Messages...
i dont see anywhere on their site about 1000 free miles!! ????????????

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014