One day Sams Club pass but no 10% service fee

Archived From: Expired Deals
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2 3
  • Text Only
Since it doesn't work in 47 states why not list NY SC and CA in the title?

The membership fee is the #1 way that these stores make money. Their whole business depends on membership fees. Period. Yes, they do have a mark-up on products, but those are very slim most of the time. Expenses are typically covered by the mark-ups, but their profits come almost entirely from membership fees.

That's not to say that a membership isn't worth it. The savings for an average family pay for the annual membership within a month or so. Also, there is a Plus membership which is more expensive, but comes with certain perks. Take the pharmacy for instance: you don't need a membership card to use the pharmacy at all. You can tell the person at the door, "I'm here to use the pharmacy" and you're admitted with no problem and are free to fill prescriptions. With a plus membership, there are significant discounts beyond the competitive prices Sam's pharmacy already offers, particularly with expensive generics that are new on the market (like lamotrigine, the generic name for Lamictal). You can save from $50-100 EACH TIME over the already competitive price on something like that drug just by getting a Plus membership.

Anyway, this is just for everybody's information.

usadaytrader said: These deals worry me. I remember Fedco doing these types of things before they went of business. Sams is much bigger, but it tells you how deperate companies are.
I disagree. Wal*Mart (Sam's Club is a part of it) is doing well now during the economic downturn, while other retailers go belly up.

I've got the PDF saved on my pc so if someone wants to host it. Let me know. We used it tonight & she said we'd get charged the 10% but showed her it avaoids the upcharge she had to do a double take. LOL

Noop23 said: The membership fee is the #1 way that these stores make money. Their whole business depends on membership fees. Period. Yes, they do have a mark-up on products, but those are very slim most of the time. Expenses are typically covered by the mark-ups, but their profits come almost entirely from membership fees.

That's not to say that a membership isn't worth it. The savings for an average family pay for the annual membership within a month or so. Also, there is a Plus membership which is more expensive, but comes with certain perks. Take the pharmacy for instance: you don't need a membership card to use the pharmacy at all. You can tell the person at the door, "I'm here to use the pharmacy" and you're admitted with no problem and are free to fill prescriptions. With a plus membership, there are significant discounts beyond the competitive prices Sam's pharmacy already offers, particularly with expensive generics that are new on the market (like lamotrigine, the generic name for Lamictal). You can save from $50-100 EACH TIME over the already competitive price on something like that drug just by getting a Plus membership.

Anyway, this is just for everybody's information.

I respectfully agree on the first and respectfully disagree on the second.

Bring in this pass to avoid a 10% service fee that applies on all non-Member purchases
when shopping with this one-day guest pass (not applicable in CA, SC or Elmsford, NY).
The Sam’s Club® one-day guest pass is good for one day only. Only original certificates
will be accepted. You must pay for your purchases with cash, debit card (see Club for
qualifying networks), Wal-Mart® Credit, MasterCard® or Discover® card only (no
checks).
You may apply for Membership, subject to qualifications, while visiting any
Sam’s Club location or online at SamsClub.com. Guest pass not valid on SamsClub.com.
To view our privacy policy, visit SamsClub.com.
Good through March 31, 2009.

Maybe I missed this along the way, but is Visa accepted for this promotion? I looked at SamsClub.com and saw Visa is listed...

CA, SC, and Elmsford, NY have been specifically excluded from the 10% service fee on previous "free pass" deals. These places never charged the 10% fee to begin with.

Is will work in CA!

I think NY SC and CA have state laws prohibiting the 10% surcharge, so they have to say it doesn't apply to them. Very confusing wording.

OP's link works to show the PDF actual one day pass, (takes 20 seconds to load on my PC)...... so you don't have to go to ALLstate first and fill out your personal info. Thanks OP.

Does anyone have this in another link, the PDF won't open on my comptuter?

sage1166 said: Bring in this pass to avoid a 10% service fee that applies on all non-Member purchases
when shopping with this one-day guest pass (not applicable in CA, SC or Elmsford, NY).
The Sam’s Club® one-day guest pass is good for one day only. Only original certificates
will be accepted. You must pay for your purchases with cash, debit card (see Club for
qualifying networks), Wal-Mart® Credit, MasterCard® or Discover® card only (no
checks).
You may apply for Membership, subject to qualifications, while visiting any
Sam’s Club location or online at SamsClub.com. Guest pass not valid on SamsClub.com.
To view our privacy policy, visit SamsClub.com.
Good through March 31, 2009.

Maybe I missed this along the way, but is Visa accepted for this promotion? I looked at SamsClub.com and saw Visa is listed...

i dont know about other sam's clubs but i know the one that i work for here in sacramento, CA does not even accept Visa at all. . .

They accept Master Card, Discover and Debit card.

We used to have Sam's but prefer Costco.

I almost jumped on a new membership when I seen their gallon of milk for roughly $1.60, then I noticed that it is not the growth hormone, antibiotic free kind.

The pass worked great even though the cashier called over her manager after we were done to asked about accepting all these coupons, she had been getting them all day.

I guess the employees are not told about all the different promotions?

Thanks OP, we got some fruit and compared prices on items we usually get at Costco.

PEACE

Thanks OP

So can someone please verify whether or not this will let us into Sams Clubs in California? I know there's been confusion over the wording, but has anyone tried?

jplee3 said: So can someone please verify whether or not this will let us into Sams Clubs in California? I know there's been confusion over the wording, but has anyone tried?

I have not used this exact pass but similar with the same wording at California Sam's Club and all it meant was you don't have to pay the 10% additional. A good deal since I only need to stock-up once or twice a year. They may ask you to check in at the membership desk before shopping and will ask you at check-out if you want to join, but beyond that no hassle.

Mikey895 said: Is will work in CA!

I think NY SC and CA have state laws prohibiting the 10% surcharge, so they have to say it doesn't apply to them. Very confusing wording.

... Does that mean I can go into a SamsClub in CA any day even w/o a day pass buy stuff and not get tapped the 10%? (That doesn't make much sense either..)

is this dead? I'm getting a 404 when I use OP's link

Link doesn't work.

Link does work, I just downloaded it

I had no problem. Thanks OP!

no2msrp said: "Only original certificates will be accepted"

So we can't just print the pdf and use it?

They have all the incentive to get as many non-members also to shop at the expense of those members who pay yearly fees. Essentially if they give these out too frequently the membership becomes less valuable, but in moderation is to their advantage

what does original certificates only mean? can I print it and use it or not?

Here is a pretty good comparison of the two companies...
comparison

When possible I like to shop at costco, because they treat there employee's much much better. I had a friend who paid her college by working here and loved the company.

Sam's does have a better return policy on electronics which is one reason I sometimes switch to sams... They offer 6 months instead of 3 by costco. They both used to have a electronic policy which would allow you to return any electronics anytime for any reason. The abuse especially with returned plasma and lcd tv's curbed this to the now 6 and 3 month policies. Sam's also allows mastercard which is nice, while AX is accepted at costco.

As far as actual differences there of the selection, there are some but they both are comparable. I also LOVE costco gas stations... During the 3-5$ per gallon days, costco was always well under par.

I printed one and used it this weekend. No problems at all.

drusilla said: I printed one and used it this weekend. No problems at all.

The coupon says "Guest pass not valid on SamsClub.com".

However, if I go to the B&M store, will they let me order a delivery-only item?

jansmith58 said: what does original certificates only mean? can I print it and use it or not?

Allstate just had a commercial on TV yesterday advertising this very deal, and that anyone qualifies. HTH

Nice thanks OP!

hallen said: Does anyone have this in another link, the PDF won't open on my comptuter? Here's the coupon in a jpeg file:

drenner99 said: advocatus said: How does Sams Club compare to Costco? I'd prefer informed opinions please

I'm a Sam's Club member and have been for years. No Costco within 50 miles of me, so do not shop there regularly. They are similar in concept in that you pay a fee for the privilege of shopping there. I only buy certain things at Sam's such as some bulk groceries, office supplies (Printer ink) and occasional odds and ends, but I am not sure I buy enough to justify the up-front expense. The good thing about these places is their no questions asked return policies and 100% satisfaction guarantee.

Judging from the number of Costco deals seen here and elsewhere, I get the impression Costco tries to be more competitive with electronics and the like. At Sam's, I don't see that. WalMart in the area often have better prices on same/similar items. They do have pharmacy and optical dept in many stores, which I believe you do NOT need a Sam's membership to use. If you were to pay for a Sam's membership and were unhappy with it, you could get it refunded without question or penalty.

Not to mention that Costco's Kirkland brand is the best rated store brand there is, and they also have excellent store brand pet food on the cheap. It's about saving money, and I've saved a bunch switching to Kirkland brand. Costco runs tons of coupon deals monthly, and you usually don't even need the coupon to get the discount. I had a Sam's Club membership a few years back - I recently joined Costco and it is much better in my opinion. Wal-Mart customer service vs. Costco customer service - you make the choice. If you have a Costco close to you, then go for it.

RichardK said: drusilla said: I printed one and used it this weekend. No problems at all.

The coupon says "Guest pass not valid on SamsClub.com".

However, if I go to the B&M store, will they let me order a delivery-only item?

I called two different stores with this question, and the answer is apparently "no".

Bummer, since the item I really want to buy is only available through their web site.

If you are having trouble using attached certificate, you can generate one by yourself which will have unique barcode number I believe.

Allstate - Sam's Club Promotion

Discover Card Members:

For the month of March

5% CashBack Bonus* at:
Warehouse Clubs

* Sam's Club®
* BJ's

Just pay using your Discover Card and earn 5% CashBack Bonus on up to $200 in these purchases throughout the month of March.

MAKE SURE YOU SIGN UP FOR THE PROMOTION FIRST THROUGH THE DISCOVERCARD WEBSITE!!

Sign into your account via https://www.discovercard.com/
On the right, it will read "My CashBack Bonus" Click on "Details"
On the left, below "Overview" click on "5% CashBack Bonus"
Click on the March Tab. Click the link to sign up.
I don't remember, but they might send you an email to verify you signed up. Make sure to check your email to confirm this!!

Comment: I have a Costco membership, but it looks like there is no love from Discover for this promo. Guess it will be a good way to check out what Sam has to offer.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting this...I really needed it...

THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting this...I really needed it...

Used it today. I prefer Costco but it is a longer drive for us.
We went to Sam's this morning and I was able to use up the WalMart gift cards I bought during that AMEX promotion.

Thanks for posting

any new passes??

You can still go to www.samsclub.com and search for "one day pass." It will provide a sign-up form, which will then give you a one-day pass to print out.

Bobjava said: You can still go to www.samsclub.com and search for "one day pass." It will provide a sign-up form, which will then give you a one-day pass to print out.
Thank you! Printed the one-day pass from the search on their website. Unfortunately, "a 10% service fee applies to all purchases made with one-day Memberships."

any new pass? thanks.

Any new pass without the 10% service fees?

Thanks

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014