Ammo
20rd box: $3.95ea
800rds (40 boxes): $150.00ea

A762x54RCzech Czech 7.62x54R 147grn FMJ Light Ball

Thanks
franzcatch

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
See here for instructions on identifying reproduction PU scopes.

TimmayCO (Mar. 25, 2009 @ 7:40p) |

recoil is nuts ! beware!

MISURICK (Mar. 25, 2009 @ 7:49p) |

Sorry but a 30-06 is too big for a 13 year old. You will only teach him or her bad habits.

livinn59801 (Mar. 25, 2009 @ 8:28p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

anyone know if this is a good deal or gun?

Would be a fun gun to shoot and teach my son how to shoot on. (I like open end older guns)

It appears that you need a C&R license in order to buy this.

Harrkev said: It appears that you need a C&R license in order to buy this.

That's a negative. You have the option to ship this to a typical FFL dealer and pay the transfer fee.

Harrkev said: It appears that you need a C&R license in order to buy this.
Very easy to get one. A C&R is $30 for three years, with no harsh requirements other than being 21+ and no criminal record. You won't get it in time for this deal, of course, but it's a good time to apply now.

dexterali said: anyone know if this is a good deal or gun?

Would be a fun gun to shoot and teach my son how to shoot on. (I like open end older guns)

I dont know if its a good deal but its not a starters rifle, it could kick like hell. I would go for a 22 cal or so depending on the age of your boy...

If your asking for opinions, then mine is no, not for the kid. I started with a 22 rifle, most of my friends started with 22s and I see lots of kids at the ranges I go to learning on 22s today ( both rifles and pistols). Usually fairly inexpensive to buy an entry level 22 rifle, ammo is really cheap, and once the kids learn gun safety, and proper use, they can shoot all day long without breaking the bank. Again, this is my opinion, take it for what its worth.

RunningMan said: dexterali said: anyone know if this is a good deal or gun?

If your asking for opinions, then mine is no, not for the kid. I started with a 22 rifle, most of my friends started with 22s and I see lots of kids at the ranges I go to learning on 22s today ( both rifles and pistols). Usually fairly inexpensive to buy an entry level 22 rifle, ammo is really cheap, and once the kids learn gun safety, and proper use, they can shoot all day long without breaking the bank. Again, this is my opinion, take it for what its worth.

Agreed - Starting out it's all about technique - proper sighting, trigger squeeze, etc. With a blunderbuss like this the kid will be focused on the coming recoil - not good. Plus when starting you want to put a lot of lead downrange, and .22 is cheap as it gets. Grab a .22 - you really can't go wrong with a Ruger 10/22.

Thanks for all your feedback. I have a 22' but I was thinking farther down the road. It was funny I was at the shooting range this weekend and this dad was teaching his kids how to shoot and hes setting up and his kid is standing in the back with this assault rifle (single shot semi auto, thanks Michigan). It was a funny sight to see. I was a bit disturbed though, the kid was dangling the rifle upside and had the barrel pointed at his sisters head. First rule of gun safety: never point the gun at somebody.

I searched google and the price is pretty good. You can get some used ones for $99. I will keep looking, not really in a need to buy, but you all know how fatwallet has a way of making me always buy something I really don't need

This is a pretty standard price for this gun. Not a huge deal.

But if you buy the 800 round ammo @150 that's pretty good. I got 440 For $78.87 during a GROUP BUY, so $75/400 is pretty good. 20 round box is pretty good, a surplus store near me was selling them for $6.25

I have a Mosin-Nagant M44, same as this gun only shorter and has a folding bayonet, this IS NOT a good starter gun for a kid, it kicks like crazy! But it's definitely a fun gun to shoot and has a quite the history! I will be buying a 91/30 someday, just not yet, finally picked up my xD subcompact today! Wallets empty for now..

dexterali said: Thanks for all your feedback. I have a 22' but I was thinking farther down the road. It was funny I was at the shooting range this weekend and this dad was teaching his kids how to shoot and hes setting up and his kid is standing in the back with this assault rifle (single shot semi auto, thanks Michigan). It was a funny sight to see. I was a bit disturbed though, the kid was dangling the rifle upside and had the barrel pointed at his sisters head. First rule of gun safety: never point the gun at somebody.

I searched google and the price is pretty good. You can get some used ones for $99. I will keep looking, not really in a need to buy, but you all know how fatwallet has a way of making me always buy something I really don't need

That really pisses me off when I see dangerous and irresponsible behavior like that at a range. My father belongs to a club that has an unsupervised range, we went there and some goof came along exhibiting head-up-a**, sh** for brains lack of muzzle and trigger finger discipline, we just packed up and left. It's not enjoyable when you're constantly looking over your shoulder and tensed to duck.

This is the normal price at Big 5.

dexterali said: I was at the shooting range this weekend and this dad was teaching his kids how to shoot and hes setting up and his kid is standing in the back with this assault rifle (single shot semi auto, thanks Michigan). It was a funny sight to see. I was a bit disturbed though, the kid was dangling the rifle upside and had the barrel pointed at his sisters head.
You need to inform the dad and the range officer, or find a better range.

I agree the The Turk rifle has kick like a mule but if you ever want to "reach out and touch something" can't be beat for the price. I've owned couple not a work of art but mine always went bang when I pulled the trigger. After firing this rifle can understand why all the Russians wore heavy coats and built like bears, rifle kicks like a 30.06

Start a kid off with a bolt or lever action 22. Make them learn to make the shots count. That what my dad did with me. First gun was a single shot breach loading lever action 22 at the ripe age of 7 by the time I was 9 I was able to shoot unsupervised (at least that what I thought as a kid, but my dad told me in my 20's he watch me with binoculars) as I shot the "e" and "o" out of mellow yellow cans. Then he got us a 10/22 when I was 12. He would laugh saying with the old gun a box of 50 would last all week, now with 50 round bannanas I go through a 500 round brick in 2 days.

This is not for a kid b/c I own one of these rifles.. They kick like a mule and they are louder then my 30-06 rifle... Get the kid a ruger 10/22 rifle and then see if he can even hold this rifle properly. Its a very cool rifle to shoot but the first time I pulled the trigger on this one, I was shocked and so were the others at the range. Stick with Wolf ammo when possible b/c of the corrosiveness of cheap rounds.

Oh yeah the deal is ok, I picked mine up at a gun show for about $40

Method72 said: This is not for a kid b/c I own one of these rifles.. They kick like a mule and they are louder then my 30-06 rifle... Get the kid a ruger 10/22 rifle and then see if he can even hold this rifle properly. Its a very cool rifle to shoot but the first time I pulled the trigger on this one, I was shocked and so were the others at the range. Stick with Wolf ammo when possible b/c of the corrosiveness of cheap rounds.

Oh yeah the deal is ok, I picked mine up at a gun show for about $40

Agreed. A fun gun but not for a kid. I would buy cheap ammo for this gun. It is a cheap gun and the corrosiveness will have minimal effect on it if cleaned properly.

Buy the Ruger and you will not be disappointed. Besides, the ammo is cheaper. $15 for 500 rounds and not $150 for 800 rounds.

Good price, AIMSurplus is a stand-up company. Like others said, these kick like no other but great to shoot! JGSales also is a great place to get Mosin Nagants.

"borrowed" from a post on the Modern Crossfire Group.....

AK-47: It works though you have never cleaned it. Ever.
AR-15: You have $9 per ounce special non-detergent synthetic Teflon
infused oil for cleaning.
Mosin-Nagant: It was last cleaned in Berlin in 1945.

AK-47: You are able to hit the broad side of a barn from inside.
AR-15: You are able to hit the broad side of a barn from 600 meters.
Mosin-Nagant: You can hit the barn from two miles away.

AK-47: Cheap mags are fun to buy.
AR-15: Cheap mags melt.
Mosin-Nagant: What's a mag?

AK-47: Your safety can be heard from 300 meters away.
AR-15 You can silently flip off the safety with your finger on the
trigger.
Mosin-Nagant: What's a safety?

AK-47: Your rifle comes with a cheap nylon sling.
AR-15: Your rifle has a 9-point stealth tactical suspension system.
Mosin-Nagant: Your rifle has a dog collar.

AK: Your bayonet makes a good wire cutter.
AR-15: Your bayonet is actually a pretty good steak knife.
Mosin-Nagant: Your bayonet is longer than your leg.

AK-47: You can put a .30" hole through 12" of oak.
AR-15: You can put one hole in a paper target at 100 meters with 10
rounds.
Mosin-Nagant: You knock down everyone else's target with the shock
wave of your bullet going downrange.

AK-47: When out of ammo, your rifle will nominally pass as a club.
AR-15: When out of ammo, your rifle makes a great wiffle bat.
Mosin-Nagant: When out of ammo, your rifle makes a supreme war club,
pike, boat oar, tent pole, or firewood.

AK-47: Recoil is manageable, even fun.
AR-15: What's a recoil?
Mosin-Nagant: Recoil is often used to fix shoulders dislocated by the
previous shot.

AK-47: Your sight adjustment goes to 10, and you've never bothered
moving it.
AR-15: Your sight adjustment is incremented in fractions of minute of
angle.
Mosin-Nagant: Your sight adjustment goes to 2000 meters, and you've
actually tried it.

AK-47: Your rifle can be used by any two-bit nation's most illiterate
conscripts to fight elite forces worldwide.
AR-15: Your rifle is used by elite forces worldwide to fight two-bit
nations' most illiterate conscripts.
Mosin-Nagant: Your rifle has fought against itself - and won every
time.

AK-47: Your rifle won some revolutions.
AR-15: Your rifle drove Saddam out of Kuwait.
Mosin-Nagant: Your rifle won a pole vault event.

AK-47: You paid $330.
AR-15: You paid $900.
Mosin-Nagant: You paid $59.95.

AK-47: You buy cheap ammo by the case.
AR-15: You lovingly reload precision crafted rounds one by one.
Mosin-Nagant: You dig your ammo out of a farmer's field in Ukraine and
it works just fine.

AK-47: You can intimidate your foe with the bayonet mounted.
AR-15: Your foes laugh when you mount your bayonet.
Mosin-Nagant: You can bayonet your foe on the other side of the stream
without leaving the comfort of your hole.

AK-47: Any fool can be taught to field strip it.
AR-15: Anyone with an IQ over 160 can be taught to field strip it.
Mosin-Nagant: What's field stripping?

AK-47: Service life, 50 years.
AR-15: Service life, 40 years.
Mosin-Nagant: Service life, 101 years, and counting.

AK-47: It's easier to buy a new rifle when you want to change
cartridge
sizes.
AR-15: You can change cartridge sizes with the push of a couple of
pins
and a new upper.
Mosin-Nagant: You believe no real man would dare risk the ridicule of
his friends by suggesting there is anything but 7.62x54 R.

AK-47: You can repair your rifle with a big hammer and a swift kick.
AR-15: You can repair your rifle by taking it to a certified gunsmith,
if it's under warranty!
Mosin-Nagant: If your rifle breaks, you pick up another one.

AK-47: You consider it a badge of honor when you get your handguards
to
burst into flames.
AR-15: You consider it a badge of honor when you shoot a sub-MOA 5
shot
group.
Mosin-Nagant: You consider it a badge of honor when you cycle 5 rounds
without the aid of a 2x4.

AK-47: You can accessorize you rifle with a new muzzle brake or a nice
stock set.
AR-15: Your rifle's accessories are eight times more valuable than
your
rifle.
Mosin-Nagant: Your rifle's accessory is a small tin can with a funny
lid, but it's buried under an apartment building somewhere in
Budapest.

AK-47: Your rifle's finish is varnish and paint.
AR-15: Your rifle's finish is Teflon and high-tech polymers.
Mosin-Nagant: Your rifle's finish is low-grade shellac, cosmoline, and
Olga's toe nails.

AK-47: After cleaning your rifle you have a strong urge for a stiff
shot of vodka.
AR-15: After cleaning your rifle you have a strong urge for hot dogs
and apple pie.
Mosin-Nagant: After cleaning your rifle you have a strong urge for
shishkabob.

AK-47: After a long day the range, you relax by watching Red Dawn.
AR-15: After a long day at the range, you relax by watching Black Hawk
Down.
Mosin-Nagant: After a long day at the range, you relax by visiting the
chiropractor.

AK-47: Late at night you sometimes have to fight the urge to hold your
rifle over your head and shout "Wolverines!
"
AR-15: Late at night you sometimes have to fight the urge to clear
your
house, slicing the pie from room to room.
Mosin-Nagant: Late at night, you sometimes have to fight the urge to
dig a fighting trench in the yard to sleep in.

AK-47: Your wife tolerates your autographed framed picture of Mikhail
Kalashnikov.
AR-15: Your wife tolerates your autographed framed picture of Eugene
Stoner.
Mosin-Nagant: Are there even photographs of Sergi Ivanovich Mosin and
Leon
Nagant?

I've always believed the .22 magnum is a very underrated and under appreciated caliber. It's been a while since I've purchased ammunition for it, but for a combination plinker with considerably more punch than a .22 it's hard to beat a .22 magnum. I'm out of the loop on present day options, and therefore don't have any links or specific model recommendations, but the magnum has always been available in single shot, bolt and lever action, and semi-auto. Though if memory serves, the semi-autos tend to jam in .22 magnum.

I think it would be ideal for a boy. I have an old Marlin bolt action that, when I was a kid, was a lot of fun. Well-placed shots were surprisingly powerful out to even a hundred yards

Leon Nagant

Sergi Ivanovich Mosin

Another variant of the 91/30, the sniper rifle.. The scopes are reproductions but allegedly from the same factory that made the originals. Note the turned down bolt. A bargain for $449.

TimmayCO said: Another variant of the 91/30, the sniper rifle.. The scopes are reproductions but allegedly from the same factory that made the originals. Note the turned down bolt. A bargain for $449.

Classic Arms is also selling them for that price. Their scopes are originals, and the rifle also comes with the bayonete and accessory package.

http://www.classicarms.us/
(scroll down about 4/5 of the way)

It depends on the age of the kid when you say it wouldn't make a great kid rifle, for a 13 year old boy the kick is about equal to a 30-06 which is not too much for a kid that age unless he is just really small or weak for his age.

See here for instructions on identifying reproduction PU scopes.

recoil is nuts ! beware!

Sorry but a 30-06 is too big for a 13 year old. You will only teach him or her bad habits.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014