SHERWIN WILLIAMS 30% OFF 4-DAY SALE

Archived From: Expired Deals
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Sherwin-Williams has 30% off all their paints, stains, and brushes, etc.

Sale starts today and ends Monday.

Preferred Customers only. If you are not a preferred customer then ask the clerk and they can sign you up.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I work for the coatings industry and regarding SW... 30% off overpriced paint still leaves you with overpriced paint. Please compare the prices with other similar paints in Home Depot, Lowes, etc. before buying.

Richardito said: I work for the coatings industry and regarding SW... 30% off overpriced paint still leaves you with overpriced paint. Please compare the prices with other similar paints in Home Depot, Lowes, etc. before buying.

Please recommend a better brand and explain the reasoning. Thanks!

69ragtop said: Richardito said: I work for the coatings industry and regarding SW... 30% off overpriced paint still leaves you with overpriced paint. Please compare the prices with other similar paints in Home Depot, Lowes, etc. before buying.

Please read Consumer Reports and go by their recommendations (too many different kinds of paints). Unless you are painting the exterior of your house paint is paint and the brand/price does not matters (unless it barely has coverage/opacity) inside the same chemistry like Vinyl Acrylic or 100% Acrylic. For the exterior of your house you need to select paints that has been Xenon-Arc tested so you know that they will withstand the beating of the Sun's rays and the change in temperatures. That's why I go with Consumer Reports since they do all of these tests. And, of course, the cheaper the better.

P.S. And thanks everyone for the RED. Apparently few people want to know the truth... SW has these sales multiple times a year because their stuff is overpriced from the beginning. I cannot believe how much $ consumers are willing to spend when they see SW on the label... Unfortunately that all stems from ignorance of the product. If you do not like it then stay ignorant and pay big $$$. I'm a Chemical Engineer and work with coatings (among other things) and I do know what I am saying unlike other people. Unless you are more qualified than me my opinion has significant weight.

Richardito said: ...... I'm a Chemical Engineer and work with coatings (among other things) and I do know what I am saying unlike other people. Unless you are more qualified than me my opinion has significant weight.

C'mon man.. I can tell you that I am qualified than you.. Hey wait, how do you prove othewise?..
so better stop the crap.. and explain people why do you dont like this deal.. and move on!

Ok, both people I know working in the contracting business AND DIY'ers have said how much better SW and Benjamin Moore is compared to HD Behr paint. Mostly in terms of #coats required and durability of the paint (ever try to clean something off a wall painted with HD flat paint?

Richardito said: 69ragtop said: Richardito said: I work for the coatings industry and regarding SW... 30% off overpriced paint still leaves you with overpriced paint. Please compare the prices with other similar paints in Home Depot, Lowes, etc. before buying.

Please read Consumer Reports and go by their recommendations (too many different kinds of paints). Unless you are painting the exterior of your house paint is paint and the brand/price does not matters (unless it barely has coverage/opacity) inside the same chemistry like Vinyl Acrylic or 100% Acrylic. For the exterior of your house you need to select paints that has been Xenon-Arc tested so you know that they will withstand the beating of the Sun's rays and the change in temperatures. That's why I go with Consumer Reports since they do all of these tests. And, of course, the cheaper the better.

P.S. And thanks everyone for the RED. Apparently few people want to know the truth... SW has these sales multiple times a year because their stuff is overpriced from the beginning. I cannot believe how much $ consumers are willing to spend when they see SW on the label... Unfortunately that all stems from ignorance of the product. If you do not like it then stay ignorant and pay big $$$. I'm a Chemical Engineer and work with coatings (among other things) and I do know what I am saying unlike other people. Unless you are more qualified than me my opinion has significant weight.

Chemical engineer that relies on consumer reports. Now I understand!
I canceled my sub to this mag after the infamous baby car seat ratings f*ck up and also the
ratings on side impact of certain cars. If you really believe CR is unbiased you are an idiot.

For everyone else who is not a "chemical engineer" SW is great stuff, especially their duration.
You can usually get away with one coat where behr would take 2 - 3 coats.

If you dont believe me ask a professional painter. Nuff said.

I painted my house with Benjamin Moore oil base paint in 1991. It lasted 10 years. In 2001, I used Home Depot Behr latex paint. It's 2009 and I have to paint it again (and it has looked poor for a few years). I know, oil versus latex, but with the VOC limits, that's the way it goes. Anyway, I used Sherwin Williams latex paint on my barn in 2002 and it was thicker and it seems to be lasting longer than The Home Depot latex paint. It was SW's SuperPaint. I mistakenly bought some of their A 100 paint for the trim, and it was thin and not worth the trouble. Remember, the cost of the paint is a small part of the job. The most important thing with paint is the residual solids that are left once the water evaporates. Get the best (usually the most expensive) paint that you can. It will pay off in the long run.

Well I apply all types of indutrial coatings to both commercial and industrial structures for over 20 years.

Paint should be judged by the amount of solids it contains. The more the solids the better the paint.

Home Depot owns Behr paints and Lowes owns Valspar. They both have the solids reduced in their respective paints to increase their margins.

When people start to talkand look at paints like Pratt and Lambert and the amount of solids their paints contain, some of the highest in the industry,
they will know a true qaulity paint!

And I do not work or rely on Consumer Reports or research!!

FYI... 30% off is off their regular MSRP, not sale prices. You have to ask for the discount, there is no coupon per se.

There is also a coupon for $10 off a $25 purchase which works out better if you have something right at $25 (i.e. their ceiling paint is $25.99).

asbman said: And I do not work or rely on Consumer Reports or research!!

I'm glad I'm not the only one. People think it's gospel - I just don't understand... I prefer to rely on real life reviews.

SafetyDance said: FYI... 30% off is off their regular MSRP, not sale prices. You have to ask for the discount, there is no coupon per se.

There is also a coupon for $10 off a $25 purchase which works out better if you have something right at $25 (i.e. their ceiling paint is $25.99).

The $10 off coupon works on top the sale price !

OHHH
Looks like they changed the fine print .
Mine that I used yesterday had no issues with sale items and even specifially mentioned price must be $25 or above after all discounts have been taken.

SupTech said: SafetyDance said: FYI... 30% off is off their regular MSRP, not sale prices. You have to ask for the discount, there is no coupon per se.

The $10 off coupon works on top the sale price !

OHHH
Looks like they changed the fine print .
Mine that I used yesterday had no issues with sale items and even specifially mentioned price must be $25 or above after all discounts have been taken.

Yep, just noticed that. Had it opened in a FF tab for several days. No mention of it not being good on sale merchandise until I refreshed!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014