• Go to page :
  • 1 2345
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Not sure if this is a repost. Just got the flyer from WalMart indicating that they will be having the Compaq Presario CQ60-419WM Laptop computer for $298. Doesn't look like there's a webcam, but this could be the deciding factor on whether or not to get that netbook for about the same price.

THIS DEAL STARTS 7/26!!!

I did a small search and found the product info on the HP website:

Product Name CQ60-419WM
Product Number NV243UA#ABA
Microprocessor 2.10 GHz AMD Sempron SI-42 Processor
Microprocessor Cache 512KB L2 Cache
Memory 3072MB
Memory Max 4096MB
Video Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8200M
Video Memory Up to 1407MB
Hard Drive 160GB (5400RPM)
Multimedia Drive SuperMulti 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support
Display 15.6" Diagonal High Definition HP BrightView Display (1366x768)
Fax/Modem
Network Card Integrated 10/100 Ethernet LAN
Wireless Connectivity
Sound High speed 56k modem (11)

Keyboard Altec Lansing
Pointing Device 101-key compatible full size keyboard with integrated numeric keypad
PC Card Slots
External Ports 802.11b/g WLAN (10a)
Touch Pad with On/Off button and dedicated vertical scroll Up/Down pad

Other Devices Integrated microphone

Dimensions CHINA
Weight 8471300000
Security
Power 3 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0; 1 Headphone out; 1 microphone-in; 1 VGA (15-pin); 1 RJ-11 (modem); 1 RJ -45 (LAN)
Kensington® MicroSaver lock slot; Power-on password; Accepts 3rd party security lock devices

What's In The Box 6-Cell Lithium-Ion battery

Software
Operating System:
65W AC Adapter
Security and Support:
Symantec Norton Internet Security 2009 (including 60 days complimentary live update) (19b)

HP Help & Support

HP Recovery Manager

HP Total Care Advisor
Multimedia:
HP DVD Play

Muvee Reveal

CyberLink DVD Suite

Adobe Acrobat Reader

HP Games Powered by Wild Tangent
Productivity and Finance:
Microsoft Works

Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student Edition: 60 Day Trial Version
Internet Solutions:
HP Total Care Set Up

Microsoft Internet Explorer

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Cant find this on WalMart's website.

emoduckie (Aug. 20, 2009 @ 6:30p) |

It's there, just saw it.

yesidonoitall (Aug. 20, 2009 @ 7:55p) |

Did any one get their Windows 7 upgrade shipping notification? I ordered but never got any email confirmations and had t... (more)

dvpatel (Oct. 23, 2009 @ 4:28p) |

Seems like it would be a good deal at first glance. But, the specs don't mention the operating system. I would think the Sempron would have a hard time running Vista, and XP would be your only option?

I see one key plus over the Celeron based machines in this price range - the Sempron DOES have the capability to throttle back under light load.

AssocCities said: Seems like it would be a good deal at first glance. But, the specs don't mention the operating system. I would think the Sempron would have a hard time running Vista, and XP would be your only option?
The ad mentions that it has Windows Vista Basic. This machine would run well with XP.

if it is a Samsung 160 GB Spinpoint HD, be prepared for a new HD purchase soon.

FrugalFreak said: if it is a Samsung 160 GB Spinpoint HD, be prepared for a new HD purchase soon.
If that's the case, I'm sure HP would take care of it.

WishingOnAStar said: FrugalFreak said: if it is a Samsung 160 GB Spinpoint HD, be prepared for a new HD purchase soon.
yeah, HP took care of my 160gb out of a CQ60, but what a pain...just woke up one day and it was dead, no warning sign or noises....there went all my data!

great deal! online only?

spark911 said: WishingOnAStar said: FrugalFreak said: if it is a Samsung 160 GB Spinpoint HD, be prepared for a new HD purchase soon.
yeah, HP took care of my 160gb out of a CQ60, but what a pain...just woke up one day and it was dead, no warning sign or noises....there went all my data!

hopefully you know now to use a flash drive. Backup every now and then wouldn't hurt.

dwight2009 said: great deal! online only?

B&M means brick and mortor, meaning that you can only get this at WalMart store.

Here is a link to the common abbreviations used by the FatWallet community.

This sounds like a good deal.
Last November (not BF), I bought the CQ50WM for $299 and am very happy with it.
Vista Basic, 2gb not 3 like this one is.
The CQ50WM is Intel Celeron. Not sure how that compares with the AMD here, but Celeron is just fine for me (not a gamer); Hulu plays smoothly without any hiccups. I've downloaded a couple of games from PopCap and Wild Tangent and they run well, too. There is no webcam on mine, and it sounds like this one is also lacking.

spark911 said: WishingOnAStar said: FrugalFreak said: if it is a Samsung 160 GB Spinpoint HD, be prepared for a new HD purchase soon.

My sister's HD in Pav 7600 died ONE month past 1 yr warranty expire. They sure are making things have extra short life cycle. I still have old drives from early 2000's that runs fine. If I pay $1000+ for laptop, I expect it to last more than ONE year.

Any chance of buying in advance and having Wally World do a pricematch? I'm not familiar with their policies

pm @ stapless.

QUICKAVE said: pm @ stapless.

PMing doesn't work for PCs anymore, since every store has the manufacturer create a custom model for them (and sometimes even for a specific sale, especially Black Friday). Can anyone guess what the "WM" at the end of the model number stands for?

Sempron theoritically will run fine on vista, though any specs will run better with less resource hungry xp. What needs to be considered is ram when it comes to vista because even low end processors will meet min req's. This particular model will handle it fine IMHO. 3gb RAM is sufficient. I run vista with a single core and only 1gb, though upgrading it to 2+gb RAM WILL boost performance.

Wooooh....tempting.... Waiting for Windows 7....

CtlAltl33t said: Any chance of buying in advance and having Wally World do a pricematch? I'm not familiar with their policies

You will not find the item until the 26th.....

QUICKAVE said: pm @ stapless.

This is a unique WM model, Staples will not PM.

I will be at WM at 11:30 pm, on the 25th ready and waiting for the clock to strike 12.

scottxmso said: QUICKAVE said: pm @ stapless.

PMing doesn't work for PCs anymore, since every store has the manufacturer create a custom model for them (and sometimes even for a specific sale, especially Black Friday). Can anyone guess what the "WM" at the end of the model number stands for?

It stands for
WalMart... Geeeeesh...

I'm sure it will run WIN 7 RC1 very efficiently. I'm running it on an AMD at the moment and it runs better than the Vista the laptop came with.

yesidonoitall said: scottxmso said: QUICKAVE said: pm @ stapless.

It stands for
WalMart... Geeeeesh...
Yes, that was his point.

This would make a great replacement for my wife's laptop. I will have to give it a try.

This seems to be the same thing as the CQ60-210US that Staples had last week. Only difference seems the smaller HDD and a different CPU. I would think the actual laoptop and the board etc. would be the same.

So, no HDMI, no microphone and no web cam.

What's odd is when I was looking for the specs on CQ60-420US for that $320 AR deal at Staples, I had found this one and the 420US and if I am not mistaken, this was 419US then. Now, its 419WM. I guess they did that recently to prevent PMs.

Too "cheap" for me. I would rather pay a bit more for better specs and reliable parts.

zulu2003 said: Too "cheap" for me. I would rather pay a bit more for better specs and reliable parts.

I'm not sure what you're talking about 'reliable'.

I bought the CQ50WM last november and I daresay it's only been off while I was on flights.
I'm not a gamer, but I use my computer something like 12-14 hours on an average day (it's true, I don't have a life) and there is no sign of failure.

The last time I tried to PM a WalMart ad at Staples they called the WalMart store next door I had just come from and refused to PM because the WalMart didnt have the item in stock .

kydriver said: The last time I tried to PM a WalMart ad at Staples they called the WalMart store next door I had just come from and refused to PM because the WalMart didnt have the item in stock .

Thats the way PM's, other store must have in stock, seems ok to me.

yesidonoitall said: I will be at WM at 11:30 pm, on the 25th ready and waiting for the clock to strike 12.

FYI- Saw my local ad today, and it said that the sale starts at 8am. Would it be different for the 24 hour Walmarts?? HMMM... Don't think I want to be a camper for 8 hours!

rofl OP left out the processor from the title on purpose as he knew no one would click if they saw it. well played, sir.

lormallon said: yesidonoitall said: I will be at WM at 11:30 pm, on the 25th ready and waiting for the clock to strike 12.

FYI- Saw my local ad today, and it said that the sale starts at 8am. Would it be different for the 24 hour Walmarts?? HMMM... Don't think I want to be a camper for 8 hours!

it wasn't any different in November (and this was not on black friday).
at my 24-hour, they didn't sell until 8am.

seems like a regular price for a regular laptop with the bonus 3 GB memory instead of 2 GB.

STEALfromCAGgive2FW said: rofl OP left out the processor from the title on purpose as he knew no one would click if they saw it. well played, sir.

At $298 what processor did you expect.
And what is wrong with TODAYS Celeron.

lormallon said: yesidonoitall said: I will be at WM at 11:30 pm, on the 25th ready and waiting for the clock to strike 12.

My 24 hours in Grants Pass had always started at 12:01 am day of the ad.
BF, I do not know.

BTW, with the exception of laptops/pc's/and really low priced TV's, ala the 37" Sanyo for $398 a few weeks ago, all items were out days ahead of the ad, at the ad price.

For anyone in Tallahassee, FL who's interested, you can already buy the laptop from the Thomasville Rd. WalMart in the Killearn area. I grabbed one this evening, and there appeared to be 2 left behind the glass. Of course, YMMV in other locations.

You forgot the "... Geeeeesh..."

comprx said: yesidonoitall said: scottxmso said: QUICKAVE said: pm @ stapless.

It stands for
WalMart... Geeeeesh...
Yes, that was his point.

Bought the CQ50 Compaq in last years special for $299. Has great speed and memory. Not a big gamer, but I do photo and video work and it's been great! No complaints other than I wish it had the numeric keypad like the CQ60 on sale at WalMart. I'll be in line this weekend to get it for Sr in High School. Good price/Good computer! Why pay for the name or the speed and memory you'll never use!!! I've pushed my little compaq to the limits with Photoshop and Photodex programs while listening to Itunes and no lags or hick ups!!!

Anyone know if I can replace this celeron processor with an AMD Turion x2 TL-60 that I've got lying around?

Skipping 140 Messages...
Did any one get their Windows 7 upgrade shipping notification? I ordered but never got any email confirmations and had to call to get my confirmation number but they haven't shipped the disk yet so I was wondering if anyone's disks shipped.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014