• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Palm Pre (Sprint) at Best Buy for $99 new 2 year contract and upgrades. LINK
I couldn't find much on BB website, so I called my local BB store to verify...
Thanks to rsatmans at that other place...

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
My brother works for Sprint and told me that SERO will never work on Pre's and he's pretty savvy.

donrull (Jul. 27, 2009 @ 10:28a) |

I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification.

CoderCop (Jul. 27, 2009 @ 11:15a) |

Still $99 at Wentzville, Mo. 63385 (as of 2pm central).

Jim8181 (Jul. 27, 2009 @ 2:43p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

you called your local BB to verify...and the result?

if I can upgrade from my Centro to Pre with SERO plan that would be gravvy. And my current 2 yr contract ends on Nov 1..

kaveh2k said: you called your local BB to verify...and the result?

I assume the answer is yes, and verified

otherwise, he wouldn't post the thread

oh ok gotcha. your right. yea i use the SERO too but got another year left. i think i can still upgrade and resign a 2 year contract even though I'm in the middle of my contract.

the Palm Pre is amazing. Well worth the $200 I paid. but damn, $99? Never thought that day would come, let alone so soon.

alot of employees and people on the thread of that link are saying that there is no such thing that the Pre is $99. So I'm assuming this only applies to certain BB stores not all.

Engadget is reporting on it right here

kaveh2k said: alot of employees and people on the thread of that link are saying that there is no such thing that the Pre is $99. So I'm assuming this only applies to certain BB stores not all.

i don't know what you read, but from what i read, people confirmed this deal.

BB's website says $199.00 Regular price $849.99.

When you're paying $2000 minimum for a 2 year contract, a $100 price drop isn't really significant.

do you need to upgrade to an everything lan with this?

Hopefully Best Buy puts an ad up soon so I can use my Schwab card's price protection.

i called BB. confirmed its $99. but for existing users rep told me that I needed to have my service for at least 20 months to be eligible for an upgrade. this deal is only good for new customers or for existing customers that have contracts that are about to expire. great find though!

Anyone having any luck with upgrading to Palm Pre and still keeping SERO at Best Buy ?

I just bought one at my BB for $99. They mobile manager said it should be at all locations but they weren't allowed to advertise it.

saints said: Anyone having any luck with upgrading to Palm Pre and still keeping SERO at Best Buy ?

Not going to happen at BB or any other place. Sprint won't do it. The ESNs of the Pre phone requires a Simply Everything Plan. No Free and Clear, no Fair and Flexible, No SERO, No exceptions.

They paid $$ for an exclusive on this phone so they can attract new customers and move existing customers to higher Monthly Recurring Charge Plans. Just like AT&T did with the Iphone. That is why AT&T charges so much for data on Iphones. However even if you get the 99 dollar everything plan an comparable AT&T Iphone plan would cost about 50% more per month. And you would still be left with a crappy voice quality network.

kaveh2k said: i called BB. confirmed its $99. but for existing users rep told me that I needed to have my service for at least 20 months to be eligible for an upgrade. this deal is only good for new customers or for existing customers that have contracts that are about to expire. great find though!

Sprint has some customers that are on a different tier. They can upgrade every 12 months instead of 22 months.

mbrenner said: saints said: Anyone having any luck with upgrading to Palm Pre and still keeping SERO at Best Buy ?

Not going to happen at BB or any other place. Sprint won't do it. The ESNs of the Pre phone requires a Simply Everything Plan. No Free and Clear, no Fair and Flexible, No SERO, No exceptions.

They paid $$ for an exclusive on this phone so they can attract new customers and move existing customers to higher Monthly Recurring Charge Plans. Just like AT&T did with the Iphone. That is why AT&T charges so much for data on Iphones. However even if you get the 99 dollar everything plan an comparable AT&T Iphone plan would cost about 50% more per month. And you would still be left with a crappy voice quality network.

A Sprint employee here at Houston told me that after 60-90 days you will be allowed to activate the Pre on your SERO plan. Downside is by then, Verizon will start carrying it.

this is a price mistake, so move quickly:

from engadget:

Update: Best Buy marketing manager John Bernier has chimed in via his Twitter account to say that the Pre is $199 and that the "error is being corrected." It'll be interesting to see if any lucky customers managed to nab the device for less than a Benjamin.

That is a good news then.. Although my contract is over.. but nothing seems to beat SERO... There are still some good phones whihc work with SERO..

atomicfire said: mbrenner said: saints said: Anyone having any luck with upgrading to Palm Pre and still keeping SERO at Best Buy ?

A Sprint employee here at Houston told me that after 60-90 days you will be allowed to activate the Pre on your SERO plan. Downside is by then, Verizon will start carrying it.

According to Best Buy marketing manager John Bernie on Twitter, it's a mistake and is "being corrected".

So if you want one, hurry!

saints said: That is a good news then.. Although my contract is over.. but nothing seems to beat SERO... There are still some good phones whihc work with SERO..

atomicfire said: mbrenner said: saints said: Anyone having any luck with upgrading to Palm Pre and still keeping SERO at Best Buy ?

care to share which ones work with SERO? My sero contract has expired 8 months ago and my ppc 6700 is dying

ganjagadget said: this is a price mistake, so move quickly:

from engadget:

Update: Best Buy marketing manager John Bernier has chimed in via his Twitter account to say that the Pre is $199 and that the "error is being corrected." It'll be interesting to see if any lucky customers managed to nab the device for less than a Benjamin.

If this is true, BB and Sprint are going to lose credibility and sales. Cutting the price to $100 is actually a good idea, since the iPhone 3G is available at that price and the iPhone is more popular.

Ok, I just got back from a BB here in Atlanta (the one on Lavista, near 285). They had ads everywhere for $99, but the BB employees said it was actually only $80. Tried to get one with my Fair and Flexible plan, but the guy wouldn't even entertain that thought for a second.

Can anyone verify the "Pre will be allowed to work after 60-90 days" thing? I want a new phone (Palm Centro sucks donkey sacks), but I'm not changing my plan - that's just nonsense.

Green for OP. We tried Pres and absolutely loved them. They are truly an amazing phone. Sadly, Sprint coverage was terrible at my home and office and they didn't have 3G where I spend a lot of my leisure time, so we had to return them. We'll be first in line when Verizon gets the Pre. If you are currently a Sprint customer or have good Sprint signal in your area, this deal is amazing.

it wont be, they still have not allowed the instinct on sero, either.

chicoedge said:

Sprint has some customers that are on a different tier. They can upgrade every 12 months instead of 22 months.

I am one of those. One day they sent a letter saying I have been a good boy and I became a Premier VIP something. We upgraded one of our phones using the new 12-month requirement. I really did not do anything more than anyone else except been with them for years.

CoderCop said: Green for OP. We tried Pres and absolutely loved them. They are truly an amazing phone. Sadly, Sprint coverage was terrible at my home and office and they didn't have 3G where I spend a lot of my leisure time, so we had to return them. We'll be first in line when Verizon gets the Pre. If you are currently a Sprint customer or have good Sprint signal in your area, this deal is amazing.

I do not know if you can do it on Pre but I have palm Centro. There is an option to switch it to roaming only so it is always on Verizon network. I did it and I have good reception almost everywhere.

Nothing like hearing about something on sale for one price, then-oops-it's actually twice that much to make you want to go out and buy it. I can only get Verizon where I am anyway, so it wouldn't have done me any good.

hkgfnt said: chicoedge said:

I am one of those. One day they sent a letter saying I have been a good boy and I became a Premier VIP something. We upgraded one of our phones using the new 12-month requirement. I really did not do anything more than anyone else except been with them for years.

Same here.

what is so great about this phone... on first look, it's a pretty ugly looking bulky phone

zaraza69 said: I do not know if you can do it on Pre but I have palm Centro. There is an option to switch it to roaming only so it is always on Verizon network. I did it and I have good reception almost everywhere.

The Pre doesn't support it by default, but there are 3rd party modifications that support it. When I turned it on, my signal quality at work was excellent, but Sprint doesn't do 3G roaming in my area so it made the "smart" features of the phone much less useful. Even with Roam-Only on, reception inside a few local stores that I frequent was terrible. (Sprint doesn't have all of the Verizon towers on their PRL here.)

I appreciate the tip, though!

danman80246 said: what is so great about this phone... on first look, it's a pretty ugly looking bulky phone

Its not so much the hardware as the software, WebOS. It allows you to multitask very easily. http://www.precentral.net has lots of info. In short, I could do some operation that would take several minutes on my Blackberry in seconds on my Pre. (Sadly, it just couldn't make phone calls in my area...)

Example: Look something up on Wikipedia.

Blackberry: Open full menu. Open browser (wait for it to load). Select URL field and enter wikipedia.org. Search for item. Read page.
Pre: Open keyboard. Type item. Read.

It also does email *much* better than Blackberry does. It will use IMAP IDLE to give you instant access to all of your email accounts, and it makes keeping email in sync between your computer and your phone simple. (With Blackberry Push, they frequently get out of sync for me) It has an awesome notifications system that allows you to see whats going on with emails, text messages, Pandora, weather, etc. without actually leaving the application you are using. And if you do want to flip over to email or something else, you don't have to close the open application.

Another huge plus for me is that its based on Linux and there is a thriving new homebrew community for it.

This thread is making me miss my Pre...

Its worth noting that other devices running WebOS are expected soon, including a smaller cheaper version that doesn't have a physical keyboard.

Regardless, $99 for a smart phone that was released within the past few months is a VERY green deal.

I would correct you on your last statement. The have a cheap version coming out called the EOS that does have a keyboard, but it does not slide out, and looks more like the Centro.

From recent blog: "Update: Best Buy marketing manager John Bernier has chimed in via his Twitter account to say that the Pre is $199 and that the "error is being corrected." It'll be interesting to see if any lucky customers managed to nab the device for less than a Benjamin."

My brother works for Sprint and told me that SERO will never work on Pre's and he's pretty savvy.

rodneyoh said: I would correct you on your last statement. The have a cheap version coming out called the EOS that does have a keyboard, but it does not slide out, and looks more like the Centro.

I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification.

Still $99 at Wentzville, Mo. 63385 (as of 2pm central).

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014