Two Orthodontic Retainers for $158

Archived From: Expired Deals
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Evertain.com has a new special where you can get an upper and lower arch clear plastic orthodontic retainer for $158. No doctor visit req'd.

(Typically this is the price for two retainers of the same arch)

Offer expires August 31st, 2009.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

eBay has it for $69.99 but you have to do it yourself using the kit. I have them on and it's easy to apply.

littlecircles said: Evertain.com has a new special where you can get an upper and lower arch clear plastic orthodontic retainer for $158. No doctor visit req'd.

Do they include a pair of latex gloves too?

That is how these are. A kit.

sofaonasock said: littlecircles said: Evertain.com has a new special where you can get an upper and lower arch clear plastic orthodontic retainer for $158. No doctor visit req'd.

Do they include a pair of latex gloves too?

Not sure. Call them and ask . . .

Let me understand this. You are making an appliance WITHOUT a Dentist (Orthodontist) and you'll wear it to keep your teeth straight even though you willingly paid an orthodontist to straighten them. Or let me guess, you did your own braces too??? You win the prize for the DUMBEST IDEA ON THE ENTIRE INTERNET.

daddyweiss said: Let me understand this. You are making an appliance WITHOUT a Dentist (Orthodontist) and you'll wear it to keep your teeth straight even though you willingly paid an orthodontist to straighten them. Or let me guess, you did your own braces too??? You win the prize for the DUMBEST IDEA ON THE ENTIRE INTERNET.

LOL! If you ever worked in a dental office you would know that the dentist does not make your retainer anyway! It is made be either the hygentist or sent to a lab where an average joe is trained to make them. No education required! (shhhh. don't tell anyone that is paying big bucks for their retainer!)

And what about the original braces? A retainer is used ONLY after the braces are finished. And wrong again, the Hygienist is licensed (2 yrs. education minimum) to clean teeth. They have NOTHING to do with retainers or lab work.

daddyweiss said: And what about the original braces? A retainer is used ONLY after the braces are finished.

Of course. And here is another inside tip. The hygentist usually puts your braces on too. Doctor just checks the work before after.

I was thinking this was a great offer for those who have lost their retainer and don't want to pay $500 for another one!

No, wrong again. The Hygienist has nothing to do with that. She (or he) cleans teeth and takes x-rays. That is all they are licensed to do. The Dentist/Orthodontist bonds (attaches) the braces. The retainer is constructed from an impression (mold) taken of your teeth. How exactly does EVERTAIN get an exact mold of your teeth? Do you take your own mold? When did you qualify to do that? Did you think Dental School is fun and games? You are treating the precision work of straightening your teeth as if you were getting your hair cut. Terrible advice.

This isn't meant to straighten your teeth. This is just if you've lost your retainer and are trying to replace it for cheaper than what your orthodontist would charge. It's a toss-up whether it'll be worth the savings in the end.

Taking molds is easy to do, but if you haven't done it before and their kit only gives you enough material to take one impression, you pretty much have to get it right on the first try.

poohbie said: This isn't meant to straighten your teeth. This is just if you've lost your retainer and are trying to replace it for cheaper than what your orthodontist would charge. It's a toss-up whether it'll be worth the savings in the end.

Taking molds is easy to do, but if you haven't done it before and their kit only gives you enough material to take one impression, you pretty much have to get it right on the first try.

$99 vs. $500 seems like worth the risk. Key is to get the impression right, then your set.

haha this is awesome. ok, i'm a dentist and let's clear some stuff up.

1. hygienist does not put braces on. she cleans teeth. a dentist would never hire a hygienist to put braces on. end of story.
2. for my state, the dentist HAS to put the braces on. perhaps other state laws are different, but the dentist has to put the braces on. if perhaps other states allow assistants to, the dentist is the one treatment planning the case.
3. you are absolutely silly and stupid IMO to pay 158 to get a kit and try to take an impression on yourself. impressions are not fun nor easy to take if it is the first time in your life doing it. my first impressions in dental school back then were terrible. if you have 1 chance to take an impression and you take a terrible distorted impression, you will either get 1. a terrible fitting retainer or 2. a poorly and non-intimate fitting retainer. in either case, you will be calling your orthodontist or dentist and crying about your teeth that have shifted position. he/she will look at your retainer and wonder where in the world you got it and tell you it'll cost XXX to fix it, in which case you will curse yourself for making your own retainers on FW deal.

Also one side note to mention is that i doubt you are pouring up your models in stone immediately. even if you take a perfect impression, there will be distortion as you send it to the lab since it is taking days to get there. i doubt the material they are including for impression is high quality and stable impression material since such impressions easily cost 30 bucks a full arch.

bottom line is if you loose your retainer after spending 3-5k for your nice straight teeth, go back to your ortho/dentist and get a custom one made.

I actually used one of these services to basically create a diy invisalign kit. Worked ok but there really wasn't too much crookedness in my teeth.

How would you know if it is seated down properly or not CAUSING another tooth to move? I would spend a little more to know its done right.

Ahnold said: I actually used one of these services to basically create a diy invisalign kit. Worked ok but there really wasn't too much crookedness in my teeth.

it is HIGHLY unlikely - no not possible - you created any DIY invisalign kit. invisalign typically takes at least 10 aligners to move. even if you tried to make your own DIY kit, you'd have to pour up the models, re-position the teeth, make aligner, repeat.

While DIY dentistry sounds like a great concept for a comedy sketch, but I notice the strongest protests come from indignant dentists who face a potential loss of income. I've just put two kids through braces and my faith in the veracity of dentists is spent. Let's be clear, this post is about retainers, not about DIY braces, etc. My kids' orthodontist never wanted to discuss cost options and attempted to brush me off and shame me every time I asked how much a given procedure should cost. In the end I realized that he had no incentive to offer options that might save me money - they would only take money out of his pocket. I'm not saying he did technically bad work, nor do I feel like a bad parent for worrying about money. It is just that I'd like my kids to have good teeth and go to college.

Like the dentist said.. I think trying to get an impression by yourself is more than a little foolish. You run the risk of the impression being wrong, and it screwing up your teeth. Now, I do agree that orthodontists charge a ridiculous amount for replacement retainers ($250 for a replacement for me, and they already have an impression), but it is what it is. If I could just get them to give me my mold/impression...

I remember a quote regarding price and cost that all of us should keep in mind; "You can get the hay a lot cheaper after its been through the horse."
Sometimes there is more to consider than cost alone.
Doc

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014