• 1 234521
  • Page
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Microsoft is doing a deal for college students with a valid .edu mail address for Windows 7 Home Premium for 29.99 instead of 119.99

Ok update if you click need to join your schools domain on the preorder page you get the same offer for Windows 7 Professional

You must be enrolled in atleast 1 credit hour at the school to receive the price

not sure but it may be upgrade only

http://windows7.digitalriver.com/store/mswpus/en_US/DisplayHomeP...

edit: as far as I can tell it is upgrade only. not a bad deal for college students who bought a laptop with vista

also
http://lifehacker.com/5361566/get-eight-windows-7-licenses-for-19-if-youre-a-tech-student
apparently there is a science organization which if you join as a valid college student you can get eight free win 7 upgrades form technet

ok sorry thats a link back to fatwallet and is not working anymore (lifehacker link)

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Hi i need an activation key for Windows 7 Home premium...does anybody know where i could get a cheap copy?

Drummerboy93090 (Apr. 12, 2010 @ 2:24p) |

ShakuniMama (Apr. 12, 2010 @ 8:02p) |

Looks like Microsoft is disabling the keys bought from eBay (usually MSDN or Technet keys)

Text

ShakuniMama (May. 31, 2010 @ 8:29p) |

Update 01/06
New site and new deal... Click Here

UPDATE 10/30
ShakuniMama discovered that MS and DigitalRiver have provided ISOs for download for those having issues. Here are the links:

Home Premium x86 ISO
Home Premium x64 ISO
Professional x86 ISO
Professional x64 ISO

Boot Tool from MicroSoft - Burn ISO to DVD, or make bootable USB flash drive.

UPDATE 11/9
If you want to check that your download is complete and uncorrupted, check the hashes for the ISO. You can use a tool like hashmyfiles to check the hashes:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/hash_my_files.html

Here's the hashes for the various ISOs:
  • Home Premium 32
    • MD5: c58bc371c1ee56d0d1e3986d0a2c639e
    • SHA-1: cc9d8220b2179e784d85bf1ea98d2ee2190d534f
    • CRC: 5DF6DBA0

• Home Premium 64
    • MD5: 758887088235024058d1c8eb6efb85a8
    • SHA-1: 336779ea6b65f63e11a609b4d021439c47ab315b
    • CRC: 56D954E4

• Professional 32
    • MD5: d8f675aaeb48057452666b0cd686d7f5
    • SHA-1: 697fa06554502fb21d30275273b25747299c020d
    • CRC: 578725D1

• Professional 64
    • MD5: 7b7af5fe3a01e9fd76de4dacb45a796b
    • SHA-1: 50127304441a793ee51b3f501289f6599a559e9f
    • CRC: 502C42C1

LATEST WAY TO MAKE A BOOT-ABLE WINDOWS 7 DVD or USB DRIVE

1. Download Windows 7 ISO File (your version) as above or ISO file for Win7 -all editions.
2. Download and install the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool--requires reboot.
3. Start the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool and follow the instruction to burn a Windows 7 DVD or make a boot-able USB Drive (USB Drive need to be at least 4GB).

UPDATE 10/28

I ordered the 32bit Pro as a download from Digital River, but looked like it was upgrade only with a possiblility of doing a clean install if I mess with it. So I downloaded the 64 bit Pro version also from Digital River from 3 links someone posted around page 17-19 of this thread, and burnt an ISO dvd image from the instructions on page 1 of this thread. I was able to do a clean install with the Key I originally received for my 32bit purchase. Validated thru MS just fine and took all updates. Hope this clears things up for you guys, I was kicking myself for not calling in to get an actually disc in the first place but it all worked out after some reading and researching...

64 Bit Windows 7 Pro Links from Digital River. Full Version
http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msvista/pub/X15-79946/Win7-P-Retail-en-us-x64.exe
http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msvista/pub/X15-79946/setup1.box
http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msvista/pub/X15-79946/setup2.box

Regards, dkd711

How to clean install Windows 7 using Upgrade media and a new or reformatted PC with no installed OS
Paul Thurrott Method :

First, perform a normal clean install of the OS by booting the PC with the Upgrade Setup disc and stepping through Setup.

After performing the clean install, ensure that there are no Windows Updates pending that would require a system reboot. (You'll see an orange shield icon next to Shutdown in the Start Menu if this is the case).

Then, open regedit.exe with Start Menu Search and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/

Change MediaBootInstall from "1" to "0".

Open the Start Menu again and type cmd to display a shortcut to the Command Line utility. Right-click this shortcut and choose "Run as administrator." Handle the UAC prompt.

In the command line window, type: slmgr /rearm

Then tap ENTER, close the command line window and reboot. When Windows 7 reboots, run the Activate Windows utility, type in your product key and activate windows. It should just work.

IMPORTANT:Any pending Windows Updates could screw things up. If that happens, just shut down, restart, rerun the command line sequence, and retry activation.
.................................................................................................................
.................................................................................................................
HOW TO MAKE A BOOTABLE DISC WITH THE DOWNLOADED FILES

* The files that you download do not contain an .iso file to easily burn a bootable disc. You need to "make" an .iso file, and then burn that image onto a DVD. Follow the instructions on this page mydigitallife.info, or here imgburn.com.

* Free .iso image burning software for the digital download for those that need it (NB: if you have Vista, you can just right-click on any .iso file, and burn image to disc - you don't need to download this software):
o http://www.nero.com/eng/downloads-nero9-free.php
o http://cdburnerxp.se/
o http://www.imgburn.com/

Easiest Method to Create the Boot Disk from DownloadSquad
1. Download the Win7 Professional upgrade.
2. Double Click on the downloaded "Windows Marketplace Box" (Win7-P-Retail-en-us-x86.exe) to use the installer to extract the files-you will receive an error-Ignore it.
3. Move extendedSetup folder to root (Ci.e. in your Boot Drive (C Drive)
4. Download oscdimg.zip file and place it into C:WINDOWSSystem32 folder (My Computer>C>WINDOWS>System32).
5. Bring up command prompt: In Vista you do this by typing 'cmd' into your 'Start Menu' and hitting ctrl shift enter. In XP, just type 'cmd' into the Run dialogue (Windows Key R or from your Start Menu).
6. Type the following in the new black Window:
oscdimg.exe -u2 -b"C:expandedSetupbootetfsboot.com" -h "C:expandedSetup" C:WIN7.ISO
You can Copy & Paste the command prompt instead Look here if you get an error message. 7. Wait until it says 'Done'. 8. Burn ISO with ImgBurn (or whatever image burning software you have) 9. Restart PC, Boot from disk, do a clean install and activate using the key. 10. Install all other programs, driver updates, general updates, system tweaks etc. HOW TO MAKE A BOOTABLE USB DRIVE * If you have a 4GB USB drive that is empty, you can make it bootable and copy the Win7 installation files to it. This link kmwoley.com has all the information you need. * For those having issues with the instructions for the USB/flash drive option listed in the Wiki, you might want to investigate WinToFlash instead, as it is geared toward the less-than-technically savvy. Another tool for those opting for the USB method - this one directly from the Microsoft store: Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool download.com To burn a disc of your Digital River download using ImgBurn, use the following instructions found HERE. ................................................................................................................ ................................................................................................................ UPDATE: It's been "unofficially" verified over at hardforum.com that the Vista double install loophole still works in 7. People who received the 32bit pro from DR and and got the invalid serial error when they installed on a new/formatted HD.So this means it is an upgrade only serial. The way around this problem is using a similar trick back when vista was installed: 1. Install Win7 using custom install option on a New/clean formatted disk. 2. Leave serial number blank when asked. This will put it in trial mode. 3. Shutdown and restart by booting into Win7 disc. 4. Repeat custom install procedure except this time enter serial when prompted. 5 Install should continue 6. To verify serial after final install go to control panel system and it should show activation status at bottom. * For those of you whose serial keys are not accepted, it might possibly be because you are installing a using a 32-bit serial instead of a 64-bit serial. Because 32-bit -> 64-bit upgrade is not possible, you have to do a clean install. It is quite possible that because of this, Microsoft made it so that 64-bit is able to do a clean install and it will accept the serial key. I bought 64-bit Win7 Pro from Digital River and the key was accepted no problem by the installer. ...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... How to tell if your CPU supports 64-Bit Windows as well as if the processor supports virtualization to be able to run 'Windows XP Mode': Download and run SecureAble from grc.com and it will let you know if your CPU supports the enhanced features required to run 64-Bit and Windows XP Mode (Note: DEP and virtualization must be enabled in the BIOS for XP Mode to run). Fully Licensed Windows 'XP Mode' and Virtual PC Free Download Are Now Available for Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate and Enterprise Editions: If you are running Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise editions, the final version of Windows XP mode and Virtual PC are now available for download from Microsoft for both 32-Bit and 64-Bit editions. Windows XP mode is a fully licensed Windows XP installation that runs as a virtual machine. It allows you to run legacy applications and hardware that are not compatible and won't run on Windows 7. In order to be able to run Windows XP mode, your processor must support virtualization technology. There is a Microsoft tool linked on the XP mode download page that you can run in order to check if your CPU supports virtualization. You must also enable virtualization in the BIOS to run Windows XP Mode. Another way to install:Using the Key from DR, but not the Media. All windows 7 media is the same, so instead of downloading the install from DR, I got a copy of windows 7 (whatever) as an iso. [You can use the Window 7 DVD (if you have one). Basically you can use the same DVD for multiple install(s) as long you have the separate product key(s)] - Mount the iso using Deamon Tools Light - Plug in your 8 GB usb drive - Use HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool to format it - Use MBRWiz to active the partition - Copy the boot sector:
<driverletter of mountediso>: cd boot
bootsect /nt60 <driveletter of usb>:

- Copy the contents of the iso(from mounted drive) to the usb device
- Browse to sources and deleted ei.cfg(this is the file that tells the installer what version to install, without it, it prompts you for a version, so that you could pick the version of windows 7)

Plug in drive, reboot, select pro (or whatever version of Window 7), install, enter key, activate, done
................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................

Error received when running the setup.exe

If you receive the following error:

"We are unable to create or save new files in the folder in which this application was downloaded. Please check the folder properties to make sure that you have security permission on the folder to write files and that the folder is not read-only."

This error means you are attempting to run the Win 7 setup from a non compatible operating system, i.e. going from Win XP to Win 7. You must instead do a clean install of Win 7.

Even if you extract the file in 64 bit Vista, you can get the error.

I extracted in 64 bit Vista and it worked for me, but trying on Win XP not realizing it would not even give me a splash screen.

Microsoft is aware of an issue faced by many trying to use the download version of this offer. It is NOT giving an ISO file, which could easily remedy the situation. this ONLY affects those downloading the OS, not those receiving media in the mail.

Here is the number if anyone is having trouble getting the product key. Got it from consumerist.com and one of their horror stories. Works great. 952-253-1234
...................................................................................................................
...................................................................................................................
PREVIOUSLY:

Answers:
1. Digital copy.
2. You can choose win 7 Professional (there's an area that says "Need to connect to your school's network? Click here")
3. Hard Copy is $13 more, shipping included.
4. You can choose 32bit or 64bit.
5. 1 order per edu email

6. Get a FREE .edu email at http://mail.australia.edu/userhome/signup/

There are TWO ways to obtain this software.....

1) Obtain the software through this Digital River Promotion for $30 which gets you a DOWNLOADABLE version ( $13 for mailed DVD)
or
2) Call Microsoft's Store directly at 1.877.696.7786 which gets you a mailed DVD for $34.99 local tax (believed to be retail box)

You MUST be a student to take advantage of this offer. This is proved by means of a valid .edu email address. There are certain schools that do not have a .edu domain, but have registered properly with digital river and Microsoft. The details of this is covered on the deal's website. You may also call Microsoft at the above number if you're not sure about your school's email.

The BEST way to obtain the software is to call Microsoft at the number above. You can have the FULL Version of either Pro or Home shipped to you with DVD for $34.98 local tax!! Digital River wants $43 for this.

When you call, give them your .edu email address and they will send you a verification email that you need to respond to and then they will contact you via phone within 24-48hrs to process your order of Windows 7.

If you obtain the software through Digital River, it is the FULL VERSION and NOT the upgrade as they state on their site. They have stated several times that it's the full version, but just recently this new info has come to light. This means if you're absolutely set on getting the full version--CALL MICROSOFT DIRECTLY at the number above.

Commenter #1: Do you actually mean if you want the UPGRADE call Microsoft?
Commenter #2: Hey #1, no you get the full version from Microsoft. The paragraph above doesn't make sense as you noticed. It says Digital River provides the full version but if you're set on getting the full version, call Microsoft. Uh, yeah ... I think the author of the above paragraph is mistaken. Digital River's email to me states that the key is for "Professional Upgrade". Can anybody clarify??

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME TRYING TO GET AN UPGRADE VERSION. Upgrades are limited to previous windows installations only. Full versions can both upgrade and install a "fresh" version. They are both the same price - Go FULL!!

- You can choose win 7 Professional for the same price.
...[Click where it says "Need to join your school's network domain? Click here" after you enter you are verified, and you get to the order page]
- The 32bit or 64bit option pertains to the download only.
- DVD Versions should contain both 32 and 64bit options on the same disc! Microsoft told when ordering that the DVD contains BOTH Versions.
- Based on personal experience, the download page should list both 32 and 64 bit versions of the OS (not yet confirmed) and the key will work for both.

This is a PRE-ORDER promotion. Students who place a pre-order will receive an email on October 22nd, 2009 which will contain a link to access the download of their product. For those who purchased the Backup DVD, the disks will be shipped around this date and a separate shipping confirmation email will be sent confirming the shipment.

Once a pre-order has been placed, students may see a pre-authorization on their credit card records, this is not a charge, it will drop off in time according to their bank%u2019s policy regarding pre-authorizations. You will not be charged until the order is available for download. At that time, the charge will appear as DRI*Windows7US on their credit card billing statement."

The following is taken from Digital River's FAQ page:
Quote :
Are these products Academic license(s)/version(s)?
No, these are retail versions, which provide all the benefits you would receive if you bought it at the store.
ALSO, this is a legitimate site! Its the same company who handles the ultimate steal!
(Microsoft Office Ultimate for only $60 found here http://www.microsoft.com/student/...fault.aspx)

Free .iso image burning software for the digital download for those that need it:
http://www.nero.com/eng/downloads-nero9-free.php
http://cdburnerxp.se/
http://www.imgburn.com/

Check the website to see the Windows 7 upgrade chart
If you bought the "upgrade" from Microsoft before, that includes physical disc 32 bit and 64 bit versions.
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

nice. better than the $49.99 deal.

It is an electronic download only. The disk is an addition $13.

no longer applies. happy Windows 7 day!

how long is it taking to get the email?

edit: nevermind... took about 7-8 for me

Can you still get WinXP or Vista (non upgrade) through the academic program?

Will I be able to buy multiple copies this way?

swishbish33 said: Will I be able to buy multiple copies this way?

Read the FAQ

Answers:
1. Digital copy.
2. You can choose win 7 Professional.
3. Hard Copy is $13 more, shipping included.
4. You can choose 32bit or 64bit.
5. 1 order per edu email

Ok, looks like the ACM blocked Windows 7. Screw it. I should have gotten my keys in the past. I've been an ACM member for 4 years.

Put Windows in the title please.

Also make sure you read the terms. If you're not enrolled in at least 0.5 units (you still have an .edu address but aren't in school, for example), MS has the right to charge your card for the full amount ($199) minus the $29.99 you paid.

Will a purchase using this method only work for upgrading from Vista to 7, or do you get a clean install (which has a higher retail cost)?

check with your schools too. some schools have a site license and you can get it for FREE (including other software).

lament said: Put Windows in the title please.

Also make sure you read the terms. If you're not enrolled in at least 0.5 units (you still have an .edu address but aren't in school, for example), MS has the right to charge your card for the full amount ($199) minus the $29.99 you paid.

sorry I figured people could put Win 7 home premium and windows 7 home premium together

its not about that. its because a repost has already sprung up. poster will probably search for "windows" not "win"

Just wait to buy a new computer. Always free then. I am personally going to run XP until everyones ceases to support or I get a new system

unless you don't need a new computer. spending $30 now is much better than several hundred if you don't need one.

i am currently using XP on my system.
Is there any advantange...or more importantly disadvantage of upgrading to Win7 ?
Thanks

usadaytrader said: Just wait to buy a new computer. Always free then. I am personally going to run XP until everyones ceases to support or I get a new system

The cost of Windows is incorporated into the price of the machine, so not 'totally' free, but close enough. Good if you need a new/want PC, but otherwise the $50 pre-order event, or this $30 for students deal would be a better choice IMHO.

edit: some clarification

deshwasi said: its not about that. its because a repost has already sprung up. poster will probably search for "windows" not "win"

excellent point. I changed the title to better and more streamlined

Does anyone know if Windows 7 comes with the active desktop feature, where you can have moving wallpaper? If so, which version includes it? Thanks!

ok just added how to get Windows 7 Professional instead

you have to click join schools network on the pre order page (where you select 32 or 64 bit) and you will get an option in a pop up window to buy Professional for the same price

also according to gizmodo it does not expire untill jan of next year

usadaytrader said: Just wait to buy a new computer. Always free then. I am personally going to run XP until everyones ceases to support or I get a new system

This. I am planning on doing the same.

CheaporBust said: Does anyone know if Windows 7 comes with the active desktop feature, where you can have moving wallpaper? If so, which version includes it? Thanks!

yes, not sure which versions have it I assume you need aero for it. I have a cough copy of ultimate cough and it has it

Spartan said: usadaytrader said: Just wait to buy a new computer. Always free then. I am personally going to run XP until everyones ceases to support or I get a new system

This. I am planning on doing the same.

will you get professional though?

Paperbag said: usadaytrader said: Just wait to buy a new computer. Always free then. I am personally going to run XP until everyones ceases to support or I get a new system

It's not free. You pay for it in the price of the computer. Some refer to this as the 'Windows Tax'.

I disagree. They pretty much give it away. Its not much cheaper buying a system barebones and installing windows yourself. Nor is it going to be much cheaper building it yourself and installing windows. They build computers at such a competitive price, windows is pretty much a throw-in.

deshwasi said: its not about that. its because a repost has already sprung up. poster will probably search for "windows" not "win"

exactly my point.

lament said: nevermind, already addressed.

yeah someone else pointed that out and I changed it

usadaytrader said: Paperbag said: usadaytrader said: Just wait to buy a new computer. Always free then. I am personally going to run XP until everyones ceases to support or I get a new system

It's not free. You pay for it in the price of the computer. Some refer to this as the 'Windows Tax'.

I disagree. They pretty much give it away. Its not much cheaper buying a system barebones and installing windows yourself. Nor is it going to be much cheaper building it yourself and installing windows. They build computers at such a competitive price, windows is pretty much a throw-in.

very true. seems like the optimal place to be in would be that you bought vista retail before and are building a computer now

edit: do you think vista will go down when 7 comes out to maybe make this upgrade and a vista retail better than a retail win 7?

jamesbodden said: lament said: nevermind, already addressed.

yeah someone else pointed that out and I changed it

cheers for that.

I was the one who posted the deal after you.

usadaytrader said: Paperbag said: usadaytrader said: Just wait to buy a new computer. Always free then. I am personally going to run XP until everyones ceases to support or I get a new system

That is fine that you disagree, but you are still paying for it either way. A recent article says at least %5 of your PC cost is for the Windows OEM license. Sure this might be about $50 on a $1,000 PC, but If I don't need a new PC, I'd rather spend $30 as a student for this deal.

Also, I am not talking about the pros/cons of building yourself vs. buying OEM, so I don't know why you brought that up.

so this is for only Windows 7 Premium upgrade?? anything for upgrading from Vista Ultimate to 7 Ultimate?

Since many people view the term "taxes" in a negative way, the term you used - "Windows Tax" - comes off as a negative. And it also implies that this "tax" is exclusive to Windows. I do not believe that Mac OSX (any flavor) is free - so it would seem that your comment again is referring to something exclusive about Widnows charging for an OS. And I am not a fanboy of anything. I run Vista, XP, Tiger, Ubuntu, and Mint on various machines at home.

Also, when you compare the realtive cost of a DIY machine vs. the deals we find here on FW ($369 Dell with a 22" LCD?) then essentially the cost - for us consumers - is pretty much free in many cases.

Anyway, this is a great deal and agree with you (Paperbag) that a $30 cost is a good find. Luckily I work at a qualifying school and know people here with currently enrolled students that would benefit from this. Thank you for the heads up!!

Paperbag said: usadaytrader said: Paperbag said: usadaytrader said: Just wait to buy a new computer. Always free then. I am personally going to run XP until everyones ceases to support or I get a new system

That is fine that you disagree, but you are still paying for it either way. A recent article says at least %5 of your PC cost is for the Windows OEM license. Sure this might be about $50 on a $1,000 PC, but If I don't need a new PC, I'd rather spend $30 as a student for this deal.

Also, I am not talking about the pros/cons of building yourself vs. buying OEM, so I don't know why you brought that up.

lament said: Put Windows in the title please.

Just curious, how do they verify it?

I am in for one. I am planning on building a new computer. I own 2 Genuine copies of Windows XP professional: one 32 bit and one 64 bit. Not sure if I can upgrade directly into windows 7, but for $30 it is worth a try. My current computer works flawless with Windows Vista (pre-ordered Dell Inspiron desktop), but my HP labtop isn't working very well. It keeps crashing certain programs from time to time and it is so annoying. So, if I can order 2 copies of windows 7, then that's all gravy. However, if I am only allowed to order one, then I am definately upgrade my laptop first.

Paperbag said: usadaytrader said: Paperbag said: usadaytrader said: Just wait to buy a new computer. Always free then. I am personally going to run XP until everyones ceases to support or I get a new system

Building a PC is an example of how the OS costs are integrated into a factory system. It differentiates the difference in costs between a factory installed OS vs purchasing it and installing it seperatly. I am sure the manufacturer's have to pay a license, but its so cheap for them to do that. As a result it reflects in the price of a factory system. I hope I answered your question.

azieru said: lament said: Put Windows in the title please.

Just curious, how do they verify it?

No clue. I doubt they have a taskforce checking each person's college background, but just wanted to make people aware that it could happen.

I guess I am extremely lucky, I stopped by my campus bookstore today and picked up my copy of Windows 7 Ultimate for $20+tax. Are there no other schools that offer Windows for that cheap? (And for some reason they released it VERY early [yesterday] too!)

griffeycom said: I guess I am extremely lucky, I stopped by my campus bookstore today and picked up my copy of Windows 7 Ultimate for $20+tax. Are there no other schools that offer Windows for that cheap? (And for some reason they released it VERY early [yesterday] too!)I wonder how common this is? I'd definitely make the drive back if this were the case.

Which school is this?

Skipping 781 Messages...
ShakuniMama said: Drummerboy93090 said: Hi i need an activation key for Windows 7 Home premium...does anybody know where i could get a cheap copy?
eBay

Looks like Microsoft is disabling the keys bought from eBay (usually MSDN or Technet keys)

Text

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014