• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Just got back from Dick's after shopping all of the local stores for a new/used field gun and feel like I got a pretty solid deal, here's the scoop:

Dick's Sporting Goods has the Remington 870 Express Shotgun on sale for $249.98 after a $30 mail in rebate.. which is already the best price I found.

While at the store I discovered Dick's is also running an extra promo on Remington products if you spend $250-$549.99 on Remington brand guns, ammo or accessories. The pre-rebate price of this shotgun is $279.98 (I threw in a $3.98 box of Remington Buckhammer slugs just in case any nonsense about post-rebate prices came up). The Dick's ScoreCard promo gives you a $10 gift card for every $300 spent, however you also get a 100 point bonus just for signing up for the program meaning you'll get a $10 gift card in the email as well.

$280 - $30 mail in rebate, $250 - $20 gift card - $10 gift card = $220 plus whatever Uncle Sam decides is his bit of the pie.

I was thrilled to find that they offered a 26" version of the 12 gauge model at this price as well as the 28" and I believe a 26" 20 gauge model. The laminate wood stock/foregrip were also a surprise compared to the "swamp ash" they used in my older 870 slug thrower. Included in the kit is a ginormous trigger lock, 3 shot mag limiter, choke wrench and there is one modified remchoke in the barrel.

They also had some good prices on Remington Slugs ($3 a box after rebate if you buy 3), Hornady SST Sabot Slugs ($10 a box) and some 00 buck for less than $4 a box.

The sale price on the gun and rebate are good through October 31 (Saturday) - I don't suggest using it as a costume accessory though.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
You can't edit your post because the thread is being moderated. We want to keep unnecessary commentary out of gun and a... (more)

VBMcGB (Oct. 31, 2009 @ 8:16p) |

Just got the 870 Express Synthetic with 28" Barrel for $247 after MIR. Why would anyone pay more for a Benelli with the... (more)

aaronpk (Nov. 13, 2009 @ 6:46p) |

ChitownMike (Nov. 13, 2009 @ 7:31p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

They had the combo at my local Dick's for $299 which included the slug barrel... this is a great deal

Do you know if they carry the 870 Tactical? Cowards won't even show their firearms online.

DaytonDealer said: Do you know if they carry the 870 Tactical? Cowards won't even show their firearms online.


Why don't you go to the store and ask what they carry?

With half the idiots on the internet thinking you can just click and order a gun to be shipped to their house, I can see why they would not show them online.

Note that the express version has the following limitation (which is why it is cheap).

* Matte finish (not the shiny glossy blued finish of the Wingmaster). My 870 is a working gun, not a museum piece, so who cares?

* Only includes one choke tube. However, buying extra choke tubes is a lot cheaper than upgrading to a Wingmaster.

Why does it include a giant trigger lock? Modern Winchesters use a special key to lock the safety on. Good enough for me. I keep mine unloaded, safety locked on, and the safety key in a small safe. Good enough to keep the kids out of trouble.

Is there a benefit to different barrel lengths?

A longer barrel puts the weight a little more forward. This changes the handling a little and makes it "swing" better. The down side is that it is a little heavier, and harder to carry through tight spaces like bushes and brush.

It might give you a little more velocity and help the pellets to group better, but I am not sure that 2" of extra barrel will have much a difference.

yuppiejr said: Jplus whatever Uncle Sam decides is his bit of the pie.



When did they enact a federal sales tax?

To answer a few prior questions in this thread:

- If someone saw the field and deer combo (870 express plus a 28" smoothbore remchoke barrel + 20" slug barrel) for $299, buy it, that's a huge deal.. Dick's has it advertised for $400 in my local paper.

- I saw a number of "tactical" configurations in both Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 flavors at the Dick's in Roseville, MN - stock will probably vary by location but I expect the make/models will be similar.

- Wingmaster vs Express - comparisons of internal parts have shown them to essentially be the same gun, perhaps some more time in machine finishing for the Wingmaster but nothing that impacts performance in the Express negatively particularly after a case or two of trap loads. Wingmaster gets a prettier blue finish, extra chokes and better stock wood but they are otherwise interchangeable part for part with the Express. The 870 includes a modified choke which is a good "catch all" solution that will work for rifled slugs, buckshot or birdshot at normal ranges... learn to shoot the modified first and decide if you need to add a full / IC to your lineup or not. Not all shooters need more than one choke... and the wingmaster costs more than double this express but doesn't shoot twice as well.

- Trigger lock - I don't really care how this gets implemented, I use cable locks in my long guns inside of a safe so the one that came with this kit is still in the box unopened... To each their own, I wouldn't ding the deal for Remington throwing in a free trigger lock for those that prefer to store their guns in a case

- I've shot both lengths in an 870 and didn't notice a significant shooting difference - the 26 seemed to balance slightly toward the shooter but I can't imagine 2" of hollow steel tube add that much weight. Modern cartridge propellants are fast burn and there really isn't a disadvantage in terms of shot speed with the extra barrel length. I found the 26" barrel a bit easier to manage in heavy brush and woods which is where I tend to hunt so I prefer it over the 28 for that reason. It's not better/worse - just different.

yuppiejr said: Just got back from Dick's after shopping all of the local stores for a new/used field gun and feel like I got a pretty solid deal, here's the scoop:

Dick's Sporting Goods has the Remington 870 Express Shotgun on sale for $249.98 after a $30 mail in rebate.. which is already the best price I found.

While at the store I discovered Dick's is also running an extra promo on Remington products if you spend $250-$549.99 on Remington brand guns, ammo or accessories. The pre-rebate price of this shotgun is $279.98 (I threw in a $3.98 box of Remington Buckhammer slugs just in case any nonsense about post-rebate prices came up). The Dick's ScoreCard promo gives you a $10 gift card for every $300 spent, however you also get a 100 point bonus just for signing up for the program meaning you'll get a $10 gift card in the email as well.

$280 - $30 mail in rebate, $250 - $20 gift card - $10 gift card = $220 plus whatever Uncle Sam decides is his bit of the pie.

I was thrilled to find that they offered a 26" version of the 12 gauge model at this price as well as the 28" and I believe a 26" 20 gauge model. The laminate wood stock/foregrip were also a surprise compared to the "swamp ash" they used in my older 870 slug thrower. Included in the kit is a ginormous trigger lock, 3 shot mag limiter, choke wrench and there is one modified remchoke in the barrel.

They also had some good prices on Remington Slugs ($3 a box after rebate if you buy 3), Hornady SST Sabot Slugs ($10 a box) and some 00 buck for less than $4 a box.

The sale price on the gun and rebate are good through October 31 (Saturday) - I don't suggest using it as a costume accessory though.


Why do I only see $10 in gift card, not $30?

Do you guys think there will be a better deal on this gun on Black Friday?

There are 2 "rebates" and one card membership reward payback in this deal:

$30 Dick's/Remington rebate on the 870 specifically (this is advertised in their flyer, rebate form available at front check-out counter)
$20 gift card "rebate" from Dick's on any Remington product purchase from $250-$549.99 (this was on a sign posted at the gun counter, rebate form was at the front check-out counter)
$10 gift card reward from the Dick's "Scorecard" Rewards program (1 point per dollar, 100 point bonus for signing up - 300 points = $10 gift card - they send it to you automatically when you get 300 points)

As far as any better deals on this gun Black Friday... no idea, if any type of firearm is going to loss-lead on a black Friday sale a Remington 870 express or Mossberg 500 combo would be logical choices given their already low price, versatility and likelihood to drive accessory/ammo purchases. Given how much lower Dick's current price on the 870 Express via the sale I'm not sure you're going to do a lot better than this, same for the Mossberg 500 field + deer combo they have going through today for $250. Keep in mind a lot of retailers are NOT expecting a strong black Friday and have started pushing their holiday specials early to generate traffic. I anticipate a lot of store gift card type rebate offers this season versus cash rebates or bargain basement prices to encourage post-holiday repeat visits... supposedly it's going to be a busy Black Friday this year so there will be a lot of competition for limited stock specials.

I've vowed not to buy any more firearms at Dick's. They treat you like a criminal in the check out process. They did a background check on me despite my state issued firearms license which exempts me from the check. "Store policy" said a surly associate who had obviously heard the same objection before). Charged me the extra $5 for it, as well. They complete this friendly purchasing experience by escorting you out of the store.

I know it's not very FW of me, but if I am buying new, I'll deal with the local gun shop and pay a few bucks more.

I tried to find the combo at my store no go would you be so kind and give a description/item#
thanks

Complain to your friendly Federal reps, not the store clerk, about procedures. They probably do not like having to go thru the paperwork anymore than you like having to wait for the process.

I bought one of the 870's today, no extra charge. State difference perhaps?

If you have an FFL or a State issued license, then you should know how hosed up the process is -and it ain't the retailers fault.

the 870 and the mossberg combo will still be on sale next week (nov1-nov7)

Just got back from Dick's. Bought the Rem 870 Express combo with scope package. On sale for $419.98 - $30 rebate -> total $389.98 + tx. This is my first shotgun in a long while. Never hunted deer with shotgun before. Not too keen on scope with shotgun yet. Did not see just a plain 870 combo package at Dick's. My gun came with green synthetic stock and pump action - and I believe a 26" field barrel.

I did not get a choke wrench with my package - though a trigger lock did come with it. I also did not receive a 3 shot mag limiter.

snyderman said: Complain to your friendly Federal reps, not the store clerk, about procedures. They probably do not like having to go thru the paperwork anymore than you like having to wait for the process.

I bought one of the 870's today, no extra charge. State difference perhaps?[/quote]

Here in GA, non-firearms license owners pay $5 per background check, to cover the Georgia Bureau of Investigation's service/tie in to the federal background check system.

[quote]If you have an FFL or a State issued license, then you should know how hosed up the process is -and it ain't the retailers fault.


There's plenty to blame on fed and state gov, but in this case, Dicks is compounding the problem.

The two procedures I described are voluntarily implemented by Dick's. Neither is required by federal or state law. I can go to the local gun shop, show my GA firearms license, skip the background check, skip the fee, and walk out the door, unescorted, with my purchase in hand.

Dicks, in an effort to cover their butts, simplify training, and who knows what else, implements those two procedures reqardless of what the law is.

If it's a good deal and you need it, and don't mind the hassle, by all means, buy it at Dick's. I had such a lousy interaction and was treated so poorly in response to simply raising an objection about a background check that was not legally mandated, I won't buy there again.

For some reason it won't let me edit my post above.

I found a 3 shot mag limiter and the choke key. They were tucked away inside the box for the extra barrel.

oharag1 said: For some reason it won't let me edit my post above...You can't edit your post because the thread is being moderated. We want to keep unnecessary commentary out of gun and ammunition threads. Thanks for asking about this, though, because I realize that we neglected to put a note under the OP letting all of you know about it. Sorry.

Just got the 870 Express Synthetic with 28" Barrel for $247 after MIR. Why would anyone pay more for a Benelli with the tried and true 870 can be had for so little?

rbstern said: snyderman said: I can go to the local gun shop, show my GA firearms license, skip the background check, skip the fee, and walk out the door, unescorted, with my purchase in hand.

Dicks, in an effort to cover their butts, simplify training, and who knows what else, implements those two procedures reqardless of what the law is.

If it's a good deal and you need it, and don't mind the hassle, by all means, buy it at Dick's. I had such a lousy interaction and was treated so poorly in response to simply raising an objection about a background check that was not legally mandated, I won't buy there again.


Would you rather NOT have someone buying a firearm checked out? Background check is done at most department type stores such as Gander Mtn. It's a whopping whole $2.00 - if you object to a store policy how do you expect to be treated? Why would anyone complain about a background check unless you have something to hide? I don't know where the "hassle" part comes in?? You pay the $2.00 and leave and pick your gun up after the 24hr wait period. Where is the hassle?



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014