Best Buy Garmin 255WT $129.99 now

Archived From: Expired Deals
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I just picked up the Garmin 255wt for the BF price of $129. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_...

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Are you reliably getting a traffic signal? Do you know for a fact that it has routed you around traffic? And does the un... (more)

billrubin (Dec. 04, 2009 @ 4:57p) |

It's working fine! When a delay shows up, it will shown where the delay is (on the map), tells how much time the delay w... (more)

Vetterin (Dec. 06, 2009 @ 12:42p) |

with garmin devices, you can type in something like "CVS" and it'll list the CVS's in order of how close you are to them... (more)

marko34256 (Dec. 06, 2009 @ 12:58p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

why do I not see this model on their website? what is the difference between the 255W (i found on the site) and 255WT?

C is for cookie. That's good enough for me.

Whoops. I mean

T is for traffic. That's good enough for me.

i can see 1 difference: 255wt comes with the lifetime traffic updates, while 255w doesn't have this. I don't know of any other differences

Does the 255wt have... FM traffic?

Yep...free lifetime. Basically the 255WT is exactly the same as the 265WT but without bluetooth.

The 255WT is exactly the same unit as the 255W. The difference is the 255WT comes with a charging cord that has the FM traffic receiver built into it.

In the Specs it says No Text to Speech, Is that correct?

Every unit above the 205 says the name of the street. The Best Buy description has to be wrong. Check the 255wt reviews on Amazon.com. One reviewer complains that the text to speech voice is muffled compared to the regular voice.

jbloggs said: In the Specs it says No Text to Speech, Is that correct?

On the overview page it says:

Best Buy dot com said: Turn-by-turn voice prompts Allow you to keep your eyes on the road while navigating with convenient voice guidance that announces the name of streets and exits.

Although I am curious as to why this isn't on Garmin's site.

Can someone tell me the difference between Text to Speech and announcing the street names? I'm kind of confused.

I have 2 total newbie questions since I'm clueless about GPS. I first used a GPS "device" last week while test-driving a Honda with navigation. I could not type in a location like "Cambridge CVS" and get a list of CVS addresses in Cambridge -- I had to already know the address. How does the Garmin work in this regard?

Also, does the Garmin touchscreen work if I'm wearing gloves?

thanks

Finally, don't forget the 10% Bing CB!

My understanding is "text to speech" means it reads the street names. With the Garmin you can search by name. You could type in CVS, then tell it you want to search for locations near Cambridge. I would imagine you could type with gloves, as the screen is pressure sensitive, but accuracy might be an issue. -never had a use for gloves here in CA

Thanks for the info it was in their flyer for tomorrow. I love not having to leave my home.

thanks op! was eyeing this for my dad now i don't have to stop by best buy tomorrow

In for one, was going to pick up a 255w from Wal-Mart for about ten buck more. I only see 5% bing for best buy.

Better than the tomtom deal posted earlier (at Target...340s?)

In for 1 - my 1st and possibly only BF shopping this year

Picked one up with the Bing 10% CashBack. Used search term "LCD".

Can someone post if this is a better unit than the tomtom 340S at Target for around $90?

I am not sure on the diff between 255wt vs 260w, if they are similar them Amazon is selling it for $120 and it can be a better deal if you dont pay tax at Amazon

dealinfo said: I am not sure on the diff between 255wt vs 260w, if they are similar them Amazon is selling it for $120 and it can be a better deal if you dont pay tax at AmazonThe ones ending in 5 are newer technology with an updated display and supposedly faster satellite syncing.

can i return this w/o restocking fee if i do not open it?

Does this unit have lane guidance?

This is the only feature keeping me with the tom tom 340s from the earlier tgt deal.

coolbreeze said: Does this unit have lane guidance?

No.
Specs: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=13431&locale=en_EN#specs...

ordered one, thanks OP, sick of my wife complaining my gps not being accurate.

dealinfo said: I am not sure on the diff between 255wt vs 260w

The T models include a real-time traffic receiver. If you often drive somewhere with bad traffic that is covered by Clear Channel's network, it's likely a win. If you're in the sticks, it's probably not worth it.

Eric1285 said: Picked one up with the Bing 10% CashBack. Used search term "LCD".
How long did it take for your Bing CB to show up? I had some issues with checkout and the page freezing and im wondering if it went through.

Thanks OP nice deal, almost bit on the 255W at Staples today, but the 119.99 price had gone back up to 219.99.
They took a 10% coupon and a 25 of 75, but then after the initial ALRIGHT! he read me the price for the order and my jaw dropped.

Not as cheap as i would have gotten the 255W (if it was still at 119.99, but the lifetime traffic lessons the blow. Im almost thinking of grabbing a 2nd one for myself as my Garmin Streetpilot 2610 is old school, doesnt have have lifetime traffic or free map updates.

I ordered the 255wt from Bestbuy on thanksgiving day. I do not see the CashBack for it on my bing account. How long does it usually take?

I own the 265T model and my opinion is that the free traffic updates are not very useful at least in the Cincinatti area. It seems like most of the time, it won't even register that there's traffic even when you're stuck in it. A couple of times, it rerouted me around traffic that was non-existent. Driving on the side road, I could look over and see that the freeway was wide open. Another thing I find frustrating about the Garmins I've used is that they don't allow you to select a leg of the trip to reroute like you can on the tomtom. With Garmin, it seems like to have to reach the point before you can say to detour. On the tomtom, you can select the segment of your trip that you want to detour even before you reach it. Perhaps other people have had better luck with the lifetime traffic updates.

doomy3 said: Can someone post if this is a better unit than the tomtom 340S at Target for around $90?

For what it's worth, I gave my Nuvi 265T to my parents on Thanksgiving after ordering the tomtom 340S from Target.

This is still at $129.99 and it's the same as Target. I got this and tom tom 340XL. I try to decide which to keep. The Garmin seems to pick up the satellites much quicker even it's indoor. However, it lacks the choice of displays.

I was considering buying the BB 255wt or Staples 255w on black Friday, but finally decided to settle for 255w, with Staples, the final price was 119-25=$94+ taxes. I read mixed reviews of lifetime traffic, some ppl don't like the ads. basically I think any features other than text to speech is not essential. to comparing 255w to Tomtom340xl, you can read reviews on Amazon or CNET, obviously 255W has the best reviews among the peers.

How do you think this compares to the Garmin 1250T on clearance at $99.99 at some B&M Best Buy stores?

Including tax and Bing CB, I got the 255WT for $132 and the 1250T for $110 (see FWF link). The only differences I see are that the 255WT has a bigger screen with choice of keyboards, while the 1250T offers CityXplorer.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Garmin+-+n%26%23252%3Bvi+1250T+GPS/9...
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=134&compare=compare&c...

Any thoughts?

thanks

beethovengirl said: How do you think this compares to the Garmin 1250T on clearance at $99.99 at some B&M Best Buy stores?I would not buy a 3.5" GPS anymore, unless size is really an issue for you. The 1250T is probably a couple of generations newer than the 255WT (although I am surprised to see it does not have lane assist, either). BTW the picture of the 255WT is much smaller than it should be relative to the 1250T. You'd think they would make the pictures the same scale!

singleye said: I read mixed reviews of lifetime traffic, some ppl don't like the ads. basically I think any features other than text to speech is not essential. to comparing 255w to Tomtom340xl, you can read reviews on Amazon or CNET, obviously 255W has the best reviews among the peers.

I got the 255WT from BB on Monday and have been using it going and comming from work all week. I work in Chicago and have a 35 mile trip each way and that's why I wanted the traffic. As far as Chicago goes, the traffic seems to be working great but I have yet to see one add. FWIW, my old Garmin is a C330 which is no comparison.

Vetterin said: I got the 255WT from BB on Monday and have been using it going and comming from work all week. I work in Chicago and have a 35 mile trip each way and that's why I wanted the traffic. As far as Chicago goes, the traffic seems to be working great but I have yet to see one add. FWIW, my old Garmin is a C330 which is no comparison.Are you reliably getting a traffic signal? Do you know for a fact that it has routed you around traffic? And does the unit actually show you traffic incidents or does it just avoid them? With the MSN service you can actually see a list of all of the traffic incidents in the area.

billrubin said: Vetterin said: I got the 255WT from BB on Monday and have been using it going and comming from work all week. I work in Chicago and have a 35 mile trip each way and that's why I wanted the traffic. As far as Chicago goes, the traffic seems to be working great but I have yet to see one add. FWIW, my old Garmin is a C330 which is no comparison.Are you reliably getting a traffic signal? Do you know for a fact that it has routed you around traffic? And does the unit actually show you traffic incidents or does it just avoid them? With the MSN service you can actually see a list of all of the traffic incidents in the area.

It's working fine! When a delay shows up, it will shown where the delay is (on the map), tells how much time the delay will add to my total time and whether a detour will save me any time (which so far thankfully has been no). I can also just go to the traffic maps and check the traffic on any of the local expressways. It will actually show problems all the way into Indiana. I usually spend more time driving with the traffic map than with the where to map showing.

beethovengirl said: I have 2 total newbie questions since I'm clueless about GPS. I first used a GPS "device" last week while test-driving a Honda with navigation. I could not type in a location like "Cambridge CVS" and get a list of CVS addresses in Cambridge -- I had to already know the address. How does the Garmin work in this regard?

Also, does the Garmin touchscreen work if I'm wearing gloves?

thanks

Finally, don't forget the 10% Bing CB!

with garmin devices, you can type in something like "CVS" and it'll list the CVS's in order of how close you are to them.

and yes, it'll work with gloves on

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014