• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Its about the same deal that TD had a few days ago.

HP Pavilion NC686AA a6700y Desktop PC - AMD Phenom 9150e Quad-Core 1.8 GHz Processor - 4 GB RAM - 500 GB Hard Drive - DVD+/-RW - Vista Home Premium 64-bit

High performance computing's a snap with the HP Pavilion a6700y Desktop PC. It's the perfect PC for business, home or personal use. The HP Pavilion a6700y Desktop PC carries an AMD Phenom Quad-Core 9150e 1.8GHz processor, 4GB of DDR2-800 memory, and a 500GB hard drive.

Also internal wifi adapter and memory card reader

Now tech for less has two flavors, refurb and open box. refurb has 90 day warranty, while open box has the original 1 year manufacturer warranty.

Price is the same for both at 279.53, shipping to socal was about 20, so total was 299, no tax (YMMV).

LINK

EDIT: Seems like you need to an email subscriber to get this, changed the title to YMMV now...=\

Member Summary

Refurb HP a6700y AMD quad core
Thanks Logician1313
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
thanks for the reply.

I never heard back from them after sending email asking specifically what do they need to validate ... (more)

RXC96 (Feb. 04, 2010 @ 11:46a) |

got the free Win.7 upgrade in the mail, makes this deal even better now.

they still have plenty of them available both on... (more)

RXC96 (Feb. 10, 2010 @ 7:30p) |

Fry's has the BFG NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 1GB PCIe 2.0 with EcoIntelligence Low Power Design on sale for $80.

I'm thinkin... (more)

alhall (Feb. 13, 2010 @ 11:56a) |

** Out of Stock!! **
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

$325.04 is the price showing on the link for me...

i see 325, am i doing something wrong?

Ahh I just tried it in IE, and its showing the full price. I think you need to be their email subscriber for the deal...

It shows as $325.04 plus $20 shipping for total of $345.66.

you have to be their email subscriber to receive that discount, it's $279.53 + shipping.

One thing nice about tech4less is that, it has real time inventory system, and right now it's showing 89 of such desktop in stock.

where can I become the subscriber for the website?

BT12321 said: where can I become the subscriber for the website?

try apply for an acc, they usually have this option with the little check box asking if you want to receive their promotional email etc etc.

thanks OP, I ended up getting this over building a new PC, Thanks

Go thru bing for additional 12% CashBack. Might cover for shipping costs

bing is a good choice. Btw i cant get both email discount and bing to work together anyway. So bing here is a good alternative.

BT12321 said: where can I become the subscriber for the website?

Look on the left side of their webpage for this:

Subscribe Today

Receive special pricing and promotions via email

does anyone know if this qualify s for windows 7?

NM

It shows as $325.04 plus $20 shipping for total of $345.66.

I have signed up and get the promotionsubscriber

I signed up for the promotion and sales alerts but have not yet received one. I called techforless directly (866–880–1230) and they took my order over the phone for the $279 price.

did you happen to ask if they have any open box left for the longer warranty? thnx

Only had refurbs left.

Does any1 have a link to the mailing list only price on this PC?
Would appreciate it being posted as the subscription only produced a welcome letter.

Anyone know if this would be hard to change to Xp or Windows 7?

I put in for a mailing list subscription last night but only got the welcome letter also, finally I called them today and told them I wanted that computer and the sales guy forwarded me the sales email and finally was able to order online for the advertised $279 price.

Found out one more thing according to HP's website this model is eligble for the Windows 7 upgrade.......

http://www.HP.com/united-states/consumer/windows7-upgrade/pdf/HP_Consumer_Desktop_PCs_Eligible_products.pdf

http://h10025.www1.HP.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01745265

Only 6 left!

I got one by calling. Came to $300.25 shipped to CA.

But, if you can access the $279 price online, go through Bing for another 12% off [$246.40].

Now let's talk about upgrades. PS? Vid? Memory? OS [XP or 7?]

indianafanatic said: Only 6 left!

unless I can't see it, how are you guys seeing the live inventory, is that from a link in the weekly email specials? thnx

RXC96 said: indianafanatic said: Only 6 left!

unless I can't see it, how are you guys seeing the live inventory, is that from a link in the weekly email specials? thnx

Umm, you can't see it because it's sold out.

My search continues...

HDCowboy said: I put in for a mailing list subscription last night but only got the welcome letter also, finally I called them today and told them I wanted that computer and the sales guy forwarded me the sales email and finally was able to order online for the advertised $279 price.Check your email.

I put one in my cart days ago, to see if that lowered the price (it didn't). Just got an email from T4L:

Thank you for stopping by techforless.com and considering us for your purchase. We noticed that during your visit to our site you placed these item(s) in your shopping cart, but did not complete the transaction. If you return to our site using the special links in this email you will receive 10% off your order. This one time use offer expires in 7 days and the discount is automatically applied to prices displayed. There is no minimum purchase, but this can not be combined with any other offers.

You waited too long, they sold on on the 10th when I bought mine. The only way I was able to get it was by calling tech for less and telling them I wanted one for that price and then they sent me the email the same day and thats when I ordered it by using the link in the email they sent me.

alhall said:

Yeah from the reviews I've been reading on the computer it's slow as a molasses until you upgrade the video card as the built in card on the mb is crap and to update the card you have to upgrade the Power Supply as the one it comes with is only 300 watts. I went ahead and went by Fry's today and picked up 600watt CoolMax PS ($33.24) and a GeForce 9500 video card w/1gig of memory ($89.99 - $20 rebate = 69.99) for a total of $103.23 = tax. I hevent even recieved the computer yet and allready spent over a $100 in upgrades on it. Debating whether to go with the Win7 upgrade and getting a hold of a copy of XP and putting it on there. If I use XP, 4 gb will max XP out if I go with Win7 I probally ought to upgrade the computer to 8gb. Tough call but tempting to see how Vista works and if I don't like it go with XP as I hear not all software will work with Win7 anyhow and I'll also be saving money.

HDCowboy said: alhall said:

Yeah from the reviews I've been reading on the computer it's slow as a molasses until you upgrade the video card as the built in card on the mb is crap and to update the card you have to upgrade the Power Supply as the one it comes with is only 300 watts. I went ahead and went by Fry's today and picked up 600watt CoolMax PS ($33.24) and a GeForce 9500 video card w/1gig of memory ($89.99 - $20 rebate = 69.99) for a total of $103.23 = tax. I hevent even recieved the computer yet and allready spent over a $100 in upgrades on it. Debating whether to go with the Win7 upgrade and getting a hold of a copy of XP and putting it on there. If I use XP, 4 gb will max XP out if I go with Win7 I probally ought to upgrade the computer to 8gb. Tough call but tempting to see how Vista works and if I don't like it go with XP as I hear not all software will work with Win7 anyhow and I'll also be saving money.

That's very similar to what I've been thinking as well Cowboy. I think I've already got a 550watt in the closet and am looking for the right vid card.

What about a dual [or triple] boot between xp, vista and 7? Someone said that this pup qualifies for an upgrade.

Also, why go 64bit?

Yes I'm the one who said it qualified for the upgrade at least that what I understood from reading this......

http://www.HP.com/united-states/consumer/windows7-upgrade/pdf/HP_Consumer_Desktop_PCs_Eligible_products.pdf

and this......

http://h10025.www1.HP.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01745265

Dual or triple boot would work I reckon I'm just not to sure how to go about all that (need to do more studying) and as far as why go 64 bit, that ones got me beat, I talked to a buddy today when I was at Fry's who bought a brand new Win7 laptop a couple weeks ago and he told me a lot of programs wont even run on Win7 yet.
It would be neat to have it for bragging rights and maybe to learn but other than that I dont really know what I'd need it for.

Maybe even a quad with a Linux partition?

You know the more I think about it the more I just want to go with XP, its simple and it works, and the heck with having to learn another operating system. I figure the thing ought to be a kick butt XP computer too!

HDCowboy said: You know the more I think about it the more I just want to go with XP, its simple and it works, and the heck with having to learn another operating system. I figure the thing ought to be a kick butt XP computer too!

So, where to get a copy of XP these days?

You should be able to buy XP from a computer store I would think, or if you have an old computer you no longer use and have an old XP disc or can get one from a friend you should be able to use the old XP product key to activate it on your new computer from what I understand after reading this........

http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread16252.html

The EULA for Windows XP Home states that you can install it on one single processor machine, at any one time. Basically, you can install it on another machine, activate it just as normal, and you'll never notice anything. However, if you ever load up your other machine running XP Home, it will want to reactivate, which will result in the other machine needing to reactivate next time... etc.

Heres a link to the EULA for XP home edition.......

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/eula/home.mspx

There are also other ways of getting a copy if you cant find one such as usenet newsgroups, file sharing ect. but I'm not going to discuss that any futher as that's a bit of a controversial not quite legal subject.....

BTW........When I got home today there was a big box on my porch with the new computer in it, just took it inside and fixing to open it and set it up here in a little bit..........HD

Heres a thread about some folks going through the same thing we're going through right now with the same exact computer...........

HP Forum

Heres a link to the drivers........

HP Pavilion a6700y Desktop PC Drivers

Well anyhow I'm fixing to hook this thing up and see how it performs on Vista 1st anyways, let me know how the rest of yall's work out and I'll keep you up to date on mine..........HD

Well I just got her up and running, 1st thing I noticed when I pulled her out of the box the sticker on the front of the computer says "AMD Athlon X2 64" which I thought meant dual core but once the computer got up and running I went to system info and its says "AMD Phenom(tm) Quad Core...", that's strange, also either I screwed up the mouse that came with it or it was allready screwed up,one of the two, anyways I had a extra usb mouse laying around and it worked, so seems decent enough so far I reckon.

PS......I also noticed one other strange thing last night after hooking her up. For some strange reason I couldnt get my speakers working through the connector on back of the computer but if I hooked them up though the headphone jack on front they worked, I dont know whats up with that, might wind up having to go buy a soundblaster card or reload the sound driver on the computer or something, anyways I'll have to work on that again tonight again and see what happens.

Mine arrived today. Haven't hooked it up yet but I did use the info on the label to order the W7 upgrade. Everything looked like it worked but they say that they could take a week to verify the sales receipt that I uploaded to them in the last step [pdf file].

I also found a copy of XP Pro and plan on setting up a dual boot system.

BTW, your second link "HP Pavilion a6700y Desktop PC Drivers" went away today.

Strange that link went away I dont know whats up with that. I finally got around to installing Windows XP today and it works like a champ at least so far. I used the links from the 1st message to get the drivers anyway. Here's another good link to another thread where someone also converted there's to an XP machine....

Good Thread

What ever you do be sure create you a set of recovery discs of the original configuration before you go making any major changes. The built in sound card never did work right for me when I had Vista loaded on it, I was tempted to go buy a soundblaster card but it seems after converting over to XP everything works perfect from what little bit I've messed with it so far. I'm still in the process of downloading all the windows updates for it. I reckon I ought to go ahead and fill out the paperwork for the Win 7 upgrade also for if I ever feel like reinstaling Vista and going the Win 7 route.

HDCowboy said: Found out one more thing according to HP's website this model is eligble for the Windows 7 upgrade.......

http://www.HP.com/united-states/consumer/windows7-upgrade/pdf/HP...

http://h10025.www1.HP.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&d...

I got through step 1 - the site took my units my serial # but they denied my proof of purchase. I sent them a copy of my order confirmation, and have yet to get a reply to what exactly they need for proof of purchase.

anyone been able to register/submit theirs for the free Win 7 Upgrade, and then validate the required proof of purchase - if so what did you use? thanks

https://www.hpwindows7upgrade.arvato.com/north_america/Endcustom...

Skipping 4 Messages...
Fry's has the BFG NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 1GB PCIe 2.0 with EcoIntelligence Low Power Design on sale for $80.

I'm thinking that this card might be a good upgrade for this system because it doesn't require a supplementary power connector from the [rather underpowered at 300 watts] power supply.

Link

Specifications

* GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce® 9800 GT
* Core Clock: 550MHz
* Shader Clock: 1375MHz
* Shader Model: 4.0
* Texture Fill Rate: 30.8 Billion/sec.
* Stream Processors: 112
* Video Memory: 1GB (1024MB)
* Memory Type: GDDR3
* Memory Data Rate: 1800MHz
* Memory Interface: 256-bit
* Memory Bandwidth: 57.6GB/sec.
* Bus Type: PCI Express® 2.0
* Display Connectors: 2 Dual-Link DVI-I
* RAMDACs: Dual 400MHz
* Multiple Monitor Support: Yes
* HDCP Capable: Yes, Dual link (Requires other compatible components which are HDCP capable. Designed to meet the output protection management (HDCP) and security specifications of the Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD formats, allowing the playback of encrypted movie content on PCs when connected to HDCP-compliant displays)
* HDMI™ Capable: Yes (Requires adapter and audio cable, sold separately)
* NVIDIA® SLI® Support: Yes, 2-Way

Included In Box

* BFG NVIDIA® GeForce® 9800 GT 1GB graphics card with EcoIntelligence™ Low Power Design
* Quick install guide
* DVI to VGA adapter
* Driver CD, which includes: NVIDIA ForceWare unified graphics drivers and Full installation manual .pdf

There's also a 512k version of this card at Tiger Direct for $75 with different output connectors.

Popular wisdom would argue for the 1gig card for an extra $5.

Am I wrong? Suggestions?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014