Ooma Telo $150 at amazon FS

Archived From: Expired Deals
  • Go to page :
  • 12 3
  • Text Only
LandOfTheFreebies said: chrispitude said: FW costs me money again. After buying a new Telo (for only $162 shipped!), I read this thread and then bought a Core (for $195 shipped). My wife and I both agree we want the caller ID name and not just the number. Anyone near 18322 want a Telo for what I paid for it?

- Chris
Telo shows caller's number, but name ?

This is incredible? So, when new features comes out the supports only the telo version
what happens then???

Like a previous poster already mentioned, only in fatwallet do you see people spending an incredible amount of their time in order
to avoid the 98 cents / month regulatory recovery fee ...

I waffled for a few months on which Ooma to buy, etc. What a waste of time and money that was - as I was paying Vonage $35/month for their unlimited service. I finally got my Ooma (Core) about four months ago, and I wish I had done it a year ago. The service is incredible, and I'm was so happy to finally cancel Vonage. I had Vonage for five years, and their service was fine, but it was too expensive - especially when compared to essentially $0 for Ooma. I paid $199 for the Core, sold the Scout for $40, ported my number for $40 and bought a year of Premier for $60 ($100-$40 port refund). So, in nine months, it will be paid for. I guess what I'm saying is, stop over-analyzing and just buy one. You will be happy with it either way.

munther said: This is incredible? So, when new features comes out the supports only the telo version
what happens then???

Like a previous poster already mentioned, only in fatwallet do you see people spending an incredible amount of their time in order

I don't care about the regulatory fee. What I do care about is having to spend $120/year to get caller ID name on the Telo.

An incredible amount of my time? It took a few minutes to go on eBay and buy a Core (and yes, I got BCB on that too). I'll eBay or CL the Telo, or sell it to a friend.

- Chris

chrispitude said: munther said: This is incredible? So, when new features comes out the supports only the telo version
what happens then???

I don't care about the regulatory fee. What I do care about is having to spend $120/year to get caller ID name on the Telo.

An incredible amount of my time? It took a few minutes to go on eBay and buy a Core (and yes, I got BCB on that too). I'll eBay or CL the Telo, or sell it to a friend.

- Chris

Is it for sure the Telo doesn't show called id name (incoming and outgoing)? I couldn't find anything on the website to confirm this. There was some info on CNAM that was not product specific that seemed to suggest name and number should work, although it could take a few days and with all carriers is dependent upon the person you are calling having a decent carrier. Also, the Premiere features list didn't mention anything about caller id.

n8mack33 said: Is it for sure the Telo doesn't show called id name (incoming and outgoing)? I couldn't find anything on the website to confirm this. There was some info on CNAM that was not product specific that seemed to suggest name and number should work, although it could take a few days and with all carriers is dependent upon the person you are calling having a decent carrier. Also, the Premiere features list didn't mention anything about caller id.

See the "New Pricing Model" section at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ooma

There are other links with this information that show up when you Google for "ooma telo caller ID name".

- Chris

Has anyone used the Ooma telo with an alarm system? My current setup is Slomins alarm, which uses Cablevision VOIP. I'd like to replace Cablevision with Ooma but nobody seems to know definitively whether Ooma works with alarm systems. Thanks.

Just bought a core/scout system thru Wal-Mart.

I think I like the completely no-fees + free caller i.d name for a little more in initial outlay. Once these sell-out, I don't think they will be getting more in.

collinong said: seem to be alot of knowledgeable people here, so i thought i'd ask:

i got the ooma core+scout pkg on the Amazon ipod shuffle deal a couple months back, but haven't installed since i'm on a 2 yr prepaid plan with PhonePower
til oct 2010.

are there any deadlines that i should pay attention to for activating the ooma? like fees that kick in if i don't activate before X date?

also i was thinking of installing at my mom's for her to use until my prepaid is done. is this gonna cause any problems when i move it back to my place?

You need to activate before 12/31/09 if you want the premier service for $99/year, after that its $120/year

New or Unactivated Ooma Hub/Scout Combinations
a. No changes to your promised feature set, includes voicemail and a 60 day Premier Trial.
b. If you want to purchase an annual Ooma Premier subscription, you can do so until 12/31/09 at $99.99, after that the price will go up by $20 to $119.99
c. No regulatory recovery fee will be charged

Has anyone used the Ooma telo with an alarm system? My current setup is Slomins alarm, which uses Cablevision VOIP. I'd like to replace Cablevision with Ooma but nobody seems to know definitively whether Ooma works with alarm systems. Thanks.

http://www.ooma.com/support/knowledgebase/i-have-alarm-system-will-ooma-work-it

Additionally you can search on http://www.ooma.com/forums/ on users who had success with various alarm systems.

robrunner said: Has anyone used the Ooma telo with an alarm system? My current setup is Slomins alarm, which uses Cablevision VOIP. I'd like to replace Cablevision with Ooma but nobody seems to know definitively whether Ooma works with alarm systems. Thanks.

Here is a thread at Amazon with some useful info.

I can't link to it - doesn't seem to work. Just copy-and-paste.

http://bit.ly/6zbmrM

Just a follow up -- I really like the core/scout option. I have two stories so it is nice to have the scout downstairs which allows you to listen to and screen messages downstairs also. If I only had the base unit, I wouldn't know if there were any messages unless I went to where the base unit was plugged in which is in my den. Kind of a hassle if you are watching a movie downstairs or making something to eat in your kitchen. I guess you could periodically call in to the broadband VM to check and see if there are messages but I like to see the flashing red button on the core and scout units that let me know someone has left a message and for screening purposes when someone is calling in.

I bought the OOMA TELO for $199 from Costco.. here are some things I noticed that might answer some questions.

1. Caller ID does show NAME AND NUMBER. If I call home from a cell phone it says "WIRELESS CALLER" "XXX-XXX-XXXX"
2. I bought a cheap Motorola L303 DECT 6.0 phone. the last "3" in the model name means it comes with 3 total headsets. The PHONE itself will tell me if there is a voicemail waiting. So I do not have to have a visual of the TELO unit to know there's a message waiting. (My Telo is in my computer room that no one goes into except me. BTW, the phone DOES NOT HAVE A BUILT-IN ANSWERING MACHINE.

I am getting a headache on how to switch the phone numbers from ATT to OOMA.. because I have ATT DSL, and ADT Alarm.
I'll probably get Road Runner Cable Internet, disconnect DSL, port phone number, and figure out ADT alarm.. worse comes to worse, I'll keep a landline (~$7/month for basic service i believe) for alarm and backup emergencies..

joedaddy123 said: I bought the OOMA TELO for $199 from Costco.. here are some things I noticed that might answer some questions.

1. Caller ID does show NAME AND NUMBER. If I call home from a cell phone it says "WIRELESS CALLER" "XXX-XXX-XXXX"
2. I bought a cheap Motorola L303 DECT 6.0 phone. the last "3" in the model name means it comes with 3 total headsets. The PHONE itself will tell me if there is a voicemail waiting. So I do not have to have a visual of the TELO unit to know there's a message waiting. (My Telo is in my computer room that no one goes into except me. BTW, the phone DOES NOT HAVE A BUILT-IN ANSWERING MACHINE.

I am getting a headache on how to switch the phone numbers from ATT to OOMA.. because I have ATT DSL, and ADT Alarm.
I'll probably get Road Runner Cable Internet, disconnect DSL, port phone number, and figure out ADT alarm.. worse comes to worse, I'll keep a landline (~$7/month for basic service i believe) for alarm and backup emergencies..

I believe the reason you are seeing caller id with name and number is that you are on your free trial of premier. If you keep paying the $120 annual fee you will retain that feature. Otherwise you will only see the number displayed in caller ID. If I had a monitored alarm system I would probably keep a landline for it as suggested by Ooma. One of my favorite options with having the scout downstairs is that I get to hear who is leaving a message and can decide to pick up the phone if I want to. Also with Premier, I can have an instant second line with the scout so that if I am on the phone and another call comes in, the scout will ring and someone else in the household can pick it up or if they want to make a call out they can do so with the scout while I am still talking on the phone upstairs.

You really want cheap phone service? Well pay attention.

Got high speed internet (cable or DSL) and a wireless router?

Good, you are almost there.

You need one more piece of equipment, a Linksys PAP2. You can get new unlocked ones off eBay for $35 shipped. These units have connections for two phones.

You can plug in your wireless phones to each port or your fax machine to one and the phone to another. Want two more lines, just buy another Linksys PAP2.

The cable that goes between the Linksys and your wireless router is included, however if you want it more removed than 6-8' (the standard length included in the package), then you will have to buy another RJ-45 cable (it's exactly the same on that goes between your router and computer).

Now you only need a VOIP service. I use CallCentric and get every single possible service for $1.95 a month (per line) including voice mail to email, call forwarding, caller ID, receive faxes, call waiting, etc. The cost per call is $0.015 a minute in the US and Canada and less than 2 cents a minute to almost anywhere else. When you call a European mobile phone, the rate goes up to $0.13 which is very cheap. You can port your current number over to CallCentric for $25. If you don't want to, all the numbers are free and you can have any area code in the USA.

To set up your Linksys PAP2, just go to callcentric.com >support click the picture of the Linksys PAP2. After that just pay and you are in business. Easy as pie. Takes 2 minutes.

I kept my land line until they ported over my number and have had the service for 2 years now and could not be happier. Any problems, they answer their emails right away. Great customer service and no I don't have any affiliation, and there are other VOIP services to choose from.

I had far more problems with land line service (Verizon) than I have with the internet based phone service. When I left Verizon, just a dial tone cost over $15 a month and the taxes and rates were ridiculous pushing the costs to $60 for two lines, and that's before I made any calls.

If you travel abroad and have access to a wireless router, take your Linksys with you and you can receive all your phone calls wherever your are, just like you were at home. Everything works the same as it does at home. The internet is the internet.

I use the call forwarding for US and Canada.

Anyone know how OOMA compares to T-Mobile's @Home service? Right now, the T-Mobile works great execpt when some of my kids run some big torrents then the out bound voice quality dies.

rootbear said: Anyone know how OOMA compares to T-Mobile's @Home service? Right now, the T-Mobile works great execpt when some of my kids run some big torrents then the out bound voice quality dies.

Not sure about T-Mobile, but our Vonage would crap out when we were streaming lots of Hulu/Netflix or when I was pushing or pulling big files from work. So far, we've had not a single problem with Ooma. I was a little worried, because I put the Ooma on my router and am using QoS - not the recommended setup, as their guide (like most VoIPs), wants you to put the unit between the cable modem and the router. Anyways, the service has been flawless - 5 minutes to set up and then you forget about it. Compared to using Vonage, my unit will be paid for in three more months. Then I have "free" service.

If I were to added the Premier service for $120/yr..
does it extend the free trial by 12 months? or does it just give me 12 TOTAL?

I just got the OOMA Telo and it has caller ID with name and number.

joedaddy123 said: If I were to added the Premier service for $120/yr..
does it extend the free trial by 12 months? or does it just give me 12 TOTAL?

Getting premier during your trial period, extends your premier service by the additional months in your trial period. My trial period was 2 months.
I started my Ooma service back in November and paid for the Premier service a week later.
My Premier service expires in January (got 2 + 12).

I missed adding an additional year of Premier for $99. Oh well, I'm still saving over Qwest
landline, which charged me ~$27/month for service.

Cheers!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014