Selma Spam posts

Archived From: FatWallet
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2345
  • Text Only
rated:
One of the many reasons I prefer FW to SD is because Selma would spam SD with so many garbage posts. So many of her posts were for little bits of junk, stuff that wasn't a deal, or the posts didn't actually describe the product or the deal. Her goal seemed to be to generate as many posts as possible with no regard for the quality of the deal or the posts.

Now she's here, it seems. More than half the first page is Selma Spam.

There's no need to post the full contents of the daily Meritline, Newegg, etc "deals" emails as a hundred or so separate posts. The point of the forum is to highlight the best deals.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Instead of filling up SD and FW... Selma should just put up her own deal site... www.selma.com

huffboy (Jun. 30, 2011 @ 10:28a) |

This is not about SDSelma, but sort of related. I like DevilMonkey's response.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-dea... (more)

c3 (Jul. 15, 2011 @ 5:32p) |

i guess you had to be there

morecowbell (Jul. 18, 2011 @ 10:17a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Hey buzzy Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Some members prefer to see everything posted, other just want the cream of the crop. It makes the filters and ratings a very valid option for sorting your preferences.

But then isn't it the "Not Cold Deals" forum, or the "Throw It Against The Wall And See What Sticks" forum? Or just, the Spaghetti Forum.

Filters and ratings are a glib and convenient answer, but they don't seem to actually work. By the time a thread has ratings, it may be OOS. Plus you have the people who like to have fun negging a good deal to hide it until they've placed their orders. And filters don't seem to even be relevant here.

Ignoring the author isn't really the answer either.

I know it's a bizarre, radical and unrealistic idea, but what about a forum where people were encouraged to post Hot Deals?

MVP9596 said:   Hey buzzy Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Some members prefer to see everything posted, other just want the cream of the crop. It makes the filters and ratings a very valid option for sorting your preferences.

Who are these members that the mods keep speaking of? I think Buzzy is right like I am in my thread. What is going on with the thinking behind Fatwallet doors? I went to see the front page and Buzzy is speaking the truth. 90% of the deals this Selma person is posting are NOT Hot Deals! What is wrong with this place????

buzzy said:   But then isn't it the "Not Cold Deals" forum, or the "Throw It Against The Wall And See What Sticks" forum? Or just, the Spaghetti Forum.

Filters and ratings are a glib and convenient answer, but they don't seem to actually work. By the time a thread has ratings, it may be OOS. Plus you have the people who like to have fun negging a good deal to hide it until they've placed their orders. And filters don't seem to even be relevant here.

Ignoring the author isn't really the answer either.

I know it's a bizarre, radical and unrealistic idea, but what about a forum where people were encouraged to post Hot Deals?

If you don't find the filters helpful, have you tried using custom views to narrow down what you're looking for? I guess I'm also curious as to why ignoring the users you find "spamming" won't work for you.

How do you use the forum? Do you want to see everything that's posted, or are you looking for certain categories? Are you looking for only those unbelievable once in a lifetime deals?

buzzy said:   One of the many reasons I prefer FW to SD is because Selma would spam SD with so many garbage posts. So many of her posts were for little bits of junk, stuff that wasn't a deal, or the posts didn't actually describe the product or the deal. Her goal seemed to be to generate as many posts as possible with no regard for the quality of the deal or the posts.

Now she's here, it seems. More than half the first page is Selma Spam.

There's no need to post the full contents of the daily Meritline, Newegg, etc "deals" emails as a hundred or so separate posts. The point of the forum is to highlight the best deals.

hey, it's him. with confusing avatar....

Basically she just uses Fatwallet Hot Deals as a section to place notes while she shops at Amazon or any other store. Saturday is apparently Amazon day. 90% of the stuff she posts isn't even a Hot Deal according to price. It is just random stuff. Today is a bunch of fake-me-out Asian food. Come on guys. Doing nothing is only encouraging her to post more garbage that takes away from the quality threads other members make. I am highly disgusted at the performance of this site recently.

it's a bot. it's been foretold. the rise of skynet. the end is near. time to stock up on guns and ammo deals. as soon as sdselma becomes self aware, we're all doomed. HQ in Beloit may be the first target.

miserly said:   it's a bot. it's been foretold. the rise of skynet. the end is near. time to stock up on guns and ammo deals. as soon as sdselma becomes self aware, we're all doomed. HQ in Beloit may be the first target.

I got concerns because I have researched the program Selma for several hours on searches. Selma on SD was thought to be a bot for a long time but then it was said that it was human. I am not sure what brought them to that conclusion. Here are the facts though after my research:

1. SD Selma and FW Selma both have identical avatars.
2. SD Selma since 2005 has produced over 100,000 posts and the majority are new threads. To put that into perspective, Selma has averaged over 50 posts per day, every day, for over 6 years. On top of that the posts are not even spread across the 24 hour scale. They are mostly between 12:00am and 12:30am EST.
3. Selma rarely replies to threads.
4. Selma's threads resemble a bot in that every title is never spelled incorrectly and the text of the post is just a link always.

I will let you know what more information I can gather. I will make it my goal to find the truth.

Cheers!

Feel free to research all you want, but constantly bashing another user isn't productive, and won't be allowed.

To me, the problem might be best served by fatwallet speaking to Selma. Most of her posts don't meet the guidelines for a hot-deal, often in a couple ways. But the sheer quantity is clogging the hot deals board. Someone from FW reaching out to her to explain how she could improve might do a lot to help.

I blocked Selma so I don't really care what FW does to her. But if I were running FatWallet, I would be worried that the Hot Deals section appears to be worthless to new users. Do you think a $15 for CD-R deal is really going to encourage new users to come back and use your affiliate links? Before I blocked her, her posts took up at least 90% of the first page. None of her deals were "Hot."

or you can just icnore. probably the most productive thing one can do.

Necromancer said:   What is going on with the thinking behind Fatwallet doors?

$$$ Click thru revenue. They encourage the RSS posting over here.

OK I'm on mobile FW and Selma's posts are flooding HD even though I blocked her. WTF!? Help FW mods!!

caterpillar123 said:   OK I'm on mobile FW and Selma's posts are flooding HD even though I blocked her. WTF!? Help FW mods!!

I blocked the Selma garbage posts in my settings, and they still show up. Does this block function work at all?

Block function only works with "Modern Version". I prefer the old version, someone let me know when the block Selma so I can switch back someday

DavoEng said:   Block function only works with "Modern Version". I prefer the old version, someone let me know when the block Selma so I can switch back someday

I want to know who uses the modern version anyways? I have kept it like Air Force 1's classic since 04. Why has this site gone down the toilet in a matter of months? I think I am witnessing the end of a great idea. Just one of several forums that have lost lots of membership. Another forum had a similar situation where there was at least 1 troll but the mods did nothing. They then changed posting rules and the interface. In a matter of a year, the traffic declined over 80% and people are hardly even lurking anymore on the site.

At least the she can be blocked over at SD. Speaking of which, SD really started to take off when FW started to tank.

SpinDizzy said:   At least the she can be blocked over at SD. Speaking of which, SD really started to take off when FW started to tank.

I actually joined SD a few weeks ago. I will say that the one thing Fatwallet still has for me is that it is easier to follow and read than SD. SD has all those thumbs and small text info around every thread. All the signatures are about as bad as the badges here. All the avatars of people I don't want to see. SD is too cumbersome. I think if I joined SD back in 2004, I'd still be there though. I stay on Fatwallet mostly because everyone here knows and likes me.

SpinDizzy said:   At least the she can be blocked over at SD. Speaking of which, SD really started to take off when FW started to tank.

You can block her posts and threads here.

Necromancer said:   SpinDizzy said:   At least the she can be blocked over at SD. Speaking of which, SD really started to take off when FW started to tank.

I actually joined SD a few weeks ago. I will say that the one thing Fatwallet still has for me is that it is easier to follow and read than SD. SD has all those thumbs and small text info around every thread. All the signatures are about as bad as the badges here. All the avatars of people I don't want to see. SD is too cumbersome. I think if I joined SD back in 2004, I'd still be there though. I stay on Fatwallet mostly because everyone here knows and likes me.
You can disable avatars and signatures in the User Control Panel.

Necromancer said:   DavoEng said:   Block function only works with "Modern Version". I prefer the old version, someone let me know when the block Selma so I can switch back someday

I want to know who uses the modern version anyways?

Roughly 76% of people use modern. So, most of them. If you want to use the ability to ignore members, use modern.

caterpillar123 said:   OK I'm on mobile FW and Selma's posts are flooding HD even though I blocked her. WTF!? Help FW mods!!

There isn't an option of block members on mobile. It's a stripped down version of the forums. If you want that functionality, you'll need to use the full, modern version of the forums.

MVP9596 said:   caterpillar123 said:   OK I'm on mobile FW and Selma's posts are flooding HD even though I blocked her. WTF!? Help FW mods!!

There isn't an option of block members on mobile. It's a stripped down version of the forums. If you want that functionality, you'll need to use the full, modern version of the forums.
...which is very difficult to use on my stupid iPod. Your suggestion to ignore SDSelma is insufficient. Many users use the mobile and classic view. Just keep this in mind when you're trying to determine why there has been a decrease in HD traffic and affiliate revenue. I will stop viewing HD on my iPod and BlackBerry, which is at least 1/3 of my use.

If the site doesn't want to place restrictions on members who spam the hot deals forum, can the suggested post formats be more strongly suggested? Not just for Selma, but for other frequent posters who don't put the store in the subject and only put a "linky" in the post? If the deal is good enough to be posted, it's worth the 30 extra seconds to make a complete post. Yes, sometimes bad formatting happens, but the folks that post 10+ deals a day should and do know better.

MVP9596 said:   Necromancer said:   DavoEng said:   Block function only works with "Modern Version". I prefer the old version, someone let me know when the block Selma so I can switch back someday

I want to know who uses the modern version anyways?

Roughly 76% of people use modern. So, most of them. If you want to use the ability to ignore members, use modern.
I still use the classic view. What was wrong with it? Everyone would still use it if that is all there was.
I have been a member at SD for the same length as here. I did not like the format there so I didn't go there. Then things changed here, if it hadn't been for the option to keep the classic view I probably would have went to SD. I usually spend 12+ hours a day here*, I probably haven't spent more than about 12 hours there in a couple of years.

*I didn't even come here until about an hour ago today. Just not as pleasant any more.

MVP9596 said:   Roughly 76% of people use modern. So, most of them. If you want to use the ability to ignore members, use modern.What percent of the most active users use modern?

MVP9596 said:   SpinDizzy said:   At least the she can be blocked over at SD. Speaking of which, SD really started to take off when FW started to tank.

You can block her posts and threads here.

Thanks. Done. How about tracking how many times a user gets blocked and when they reach a certain threshold, just killing the account? It's obvious that Selma is a bot and most of her threads are not worth clicking on. Wouldn't you rather block one user than risk losing a tangible percentage of your overall traffic?

BrianGa said:   MVP9596 said:   Roughly 76% of people use modern. So, most of them. If you want to use the ability to ignore members, use modern.What percent of the most active users use modern?

I'm not sure there's any way to track that. And how do you define the most active?

MVP9596 said:   Roughly 76% of people use modern. So, most of them. If you want to use the ability to ignore members, use modern.

That's because MODERN is the defaulted choice when new users register. If CLASSIC were the default, those percentage numbers would most probably be reversed. I would have thought this to be evident.

OK, he asked who used modern. The majority of members are using it. Classic is still around, but we've stated many times that while it's there as an option, we won't be developing any new features for classic.

MVP9596 said:   I'm not sure there's any way to track that. And how do you define the most active?Any number of ways. Top 1,000 users by login time? By click-throughs? By posts? Just pick one, and I'm sure that the numbers will be quite different than for the general user base.

MVP9596 said:   OK, he asked who used modern. The majority of members are using it. Classic is still around, but we've stated many times that while it's there as an option, we won't be developing any new features for classic.

By any chance is this site backed by Bill Gates or Microsoft? The methodology behind some of the things I've heard recently mirror exactly the frame of mind of Microsoft. What is funny is that people wanna know how Apple overtook Microsoft in terms of market cap and sales (no iPhone user here). It is because Apple didn't ignore their old iPods when new ones came out. They don't stop supporting their old OS's when new ones come out. Microsoft however has this belief that not only is newer better, but that old is irrelavant and not worth supporting. That is why Microsoft no longer supports XP even though it is superior to Windows Vista or 7. Fatwallet is no longer supporting their epic classic view because they feel that modern is the best when in fact, it is just the newest.

Cheers!

Necromancer said:   MVP9596 said:   OK, he asked who used modern. The majority of members are using it. Classic is still around, but we've stated many times that while it's there as an option, we won't be developing any new features for classic.

By any chance is this site backed by Bill Gates or Microsoft? The methodology behind some of the things I've heard recently mirror exactly the frame of mind of Microsoft. What is funny is that people wanna know how Apple overtook Microsoft in terms of market cap and sales (no iPhone user here). It is because Apple didn't ignore their old iPods when new ones came out. They don't stop supporting their old OS's when new ones come out. Microsoft however has this belief that not only is newer better, but that old is irrelavant and not worth supporting. That is why Microsoft no longer supports XP even though it is superior to Windows Vista or 7. Fatwallet is no longer supporting their epic classic view because they feel that modern is the best when in fact, it is just the newest.

Cheers!
false. microsoft's biggest problem for years was that they tried to make new stuff compatible with old stuff

Yeah, that argument is WAY off. Apple's policy for supporting legacy systems is worse because they also control the hardware. For example, the first generation iPhone and iPod Touch were sold as new and current until Sept 2008. When iOS 4 was released to the public in June of 2010, they stopped releasing patches/updates for iOS 3 AND they dropped support of the first gen iPhone/iPod Touch. The official explanation is outdated hardware, despite the fact that the 1st and 2nd gen iPhone/Ipod Touch share the same CPU, GPU, and Memory. That's less than 2 years from new to end of life. If there's a shorter operating system life cycle than that, I haven't heard of it.

edit: sorry to take this thread off topic. Down with SDSelma!

Necromancer said:   MVP9596 said:   OK, he asked who used modern. The majority of members are using it. Classic is still around, but we've stated many times that while it's there as an option, we won't be developing any new features for classic.

Cheers!

Now wait just a minute!
Did you just say that XP is better than 7!?

Maybe this is the mods secret plan to make people switch to modern and eliminate the classic style.

I prefer classic, and yes SlickDeal Selma's posts are mostly junk. They probably deserve a separate sub-forum since there are so many of them. That way people who want to actually look at them can click on it, the rest of us on classic can enjoy HD in peace.

I have certainly noticed the Selma effect. 90% of the deals were junk. I have certainly considered the block option. But did you notice that for the small % of good deals, she often beats honored posters by seconds or minutes. It ended up locking out the other posters as reposts. THAT's what bugs me!!!

Skipping 152 Messages...
i guess you had to be there

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014