• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
What was the decision made on this? As while Glitterdog is gone, now other people are starting this trend.

ultatryon said:   What was the decision made on this? As while Glitterdog is gone, now other people are starting this trend.Thanks for asking. We decided to address the issue individually if the forum became flooded again.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/search/results.php?type=forums&q...

A very large majority of their posts have been these "free" kindle books. While not nearly as bad as glitterdog was, it is still just as annoying.

edit: I also noticed that they registered in July of this year.. very shortly after glitterdog was banned?

ultatryon said:   http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/search/results.php?type=forums&q...

A very large majority of their posts have been these "free" kindle books. While not nearly as bad as glitterdog was, it is still just as annoying.

edit: I also noticed that they registered in July of this year.. very shortly after glitterdog was banned?

Yesterday just pissed me off. I'm just gonna add this guy to my ignore list and see if that helps.

How about this :
If an item is free after rebates and/or coupons, it belongs in Hot Deals.
If an item is free without either coupons or rebates, it belongs in Free Stuff.

No update?
I posted a simple elegant solution 12 days ago and you dont have a reply?
smh..
/disappointed.

ETA: I'm looking at you Fatwallet.. not other users.

We appreciate it, but your solution isn't as simple as you would make it out to be.

MVP9596 said:   We appreciate it, but your solution isn't as simple as you would make it out to be.Ok.. then let me ask. Why not? Give me an example or a scenario where my solution would not work.

KayK said:   MVP9596 said:   We appreciate it, but your solution isn't as simple as you would make it out to be.Ok.. then let me ask. Why not? Give me an example or a scenario where my solution would not work.

Free blood glucose meters from Walgreens B&M.

But, I wasn't saying it simply because of a black and white rule. As mods, we can use discretion on where we put things if we think it's a grey area. It was more a reference to community feedback we've received. Some folks think all kindle books should go in HD, some think they should all go in FS. Some think they shouldn't even belong on the site period as they consider it spam.

bump for this again.. the issue never went away. I would not be surprised that it is the same user that keeps re-registering under new names as they all have a very similar posting structure.

Again, my suggestion is for a consolidated thread of this stuff, or as other people have suggested, a sub forum just for "free" digital content.

ultatryon said:   bump for this again.. the issue never went away. I would not be surprised that it is the same user that keeps re-registering under new names as they all have a very similar posting structure.

Again, my suggestion is for a consolidated thread of this stuff, or as other people have suggested, a sub forum just for "free" digital content.

I can deal with ignoring another user every few weeks/months when he comes up with a new name. My problem is that my 'ignore' feature only seems to work on the pc and not on my phone. Does the ignore feature work in mobile view or is it just me?

Agreed with both ultatryon and SecondGunman. What I find interesting is that, if it is indeed the same person (and I suspect the mods can ascertain that), what is her motivation for changing usernames frequently other than to thwart mods' block or users' ignore lists? That is clearly troll behavior. (And I only use "her" as my pronoun of choice because I, too, strongly suspect this is all likely the work of the banned glitterdog).

ultatryon said:   bump for this again.. the issue never went away. I would not be surprised that it is the same user that keeps re-registering under new names as they all have a very similar posting structure.

We're treating the deals on a case by case basis. If the real value as judged by the mod on duty is over $10, then it really is a hot deal and should go in HD. If it's a glorified PDF that doesn't have any real value, we'll put it in Free Stuff.

SecondGunman said:   ultatryon said:   bump for this again.. the issue never went away. I would not be surprised that it is the same user that keeps re-registering under new names as they all have a very similar posting structure.

I can deal with ignoring another user every few weeks/months when he comes up with a new name. My problem is that my 'ignore' feature only seems to work on the pc and not on my phone. Does the ignore feature work in mobile view or is it just me?

Mobile doesn't support ignore. It's about as basic as it gets. Hopefully, we'll have a different mobile experience before too long and it will support all the same features as the full site.

DoctorDeals said: Agreed with both ultatryon and SecondGunman. What I find interesting is that, if it is indeed the same person (and I suspect the mods can ascertain that), what is her motivation for changing usernames frequently other than to thwart mods' block or users' ignore lists? That is clearly troll behavior. (And I only use "her" as my pronoun of choice because I, too, strongly suspect this is all likely the work of the banned glitterdog).

We do not allow members to create a new account if banned. If we had definitive proof, then those alternate accounts will be banned also.

This post, suggesting a special thread in freebies:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/free-stuff/1252371/

gets bounced to:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1076568/

so what?

ppl are still posting individual "offers" again and again in freestuff for ebooks.

My suggestion: STICKY a thread for free ebooks at the top of freebie forum (up near the coke points thread & free movies).
The links in this stickied-thread could be for values under 10 bucks, if that makes more ppl happy.

For those who really care if the ebook "value" is over/under 10 bucks, keep the 'official thread' of higher-value 'books' in the hotdeals thread (which nobody reads, because things can't be stickied in that forum)

Please!
"Free Kindle Books" are ruining the freebie forum!

HardwareLust said:   Can we stop with posting all the free Kindle books in Hot Deals?

Not a one of these was ever sold for real money. These all should be going into 'Free Stuff', not Hot Deals.

Something given away for free that was always free is not a hot deal.

They are mostly UNWANTED in the freebie forum, too!

So some people are saying they don't belong anywhere, some say HD, some say FS. Some folks want them in an official thread, others counter with wanting them to have their own individual threads. No matter which direction we go, we're going to anger part of the community.

That's why we're treating them as a case by case basis for now.

mvp9596 said: If the real value as judged by the mod on duty is over $10, then it really is a hot deal and should go in HD. If it's a glorified PDF that doesn't have any real value, we'll put it in Free Stuff.

trust me, the MAJORITY of us don't want them in individual threads
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaackk!

You couldn't try a stickied thread in freebies?

Let's just make separate "Hot Deals" forums for digital goods and physical goods.

There's no rule book that says we can only have one "Hot Deals" forum. I think this is the ideal solution personally. Then, all of the iTunes, Kindle, Nook, movie downloads, etc. can all go in their own forum.

iowahawkeye said:   trust me, the MAJORITY of us don't want them in individual threads
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaackk!

You couldn't try a stickied thread in freebies?
There is an official thread in Hot Deals, but it hasn't been used since December. Another problem is that someone is dropping them in Free Stuff, and they are rarely free for more than a day, so the free book becomes non-free quickly, and the OP never updates the thread they dropped. The quality of most free books on Amazon sucks, but that's another problem.

Apparently mods are happy with people cluttering the Free Stuff forum.

Even though the books are only free for hours or a day, and there is an official FW thread where they should be posted, they're happy with the detritus a few members choose to leave behind.

I agree that an ebook thread would be nice or at least posted like they were separately in free stuff

mapatsfan said:   Apparently mods are happy with people cluttering the Free Stuff forum.

Even though the books are only free for hours or a day, and there is an official FW thread where they should be posted, they're happy with the detritus a few members choose to leave behind.

Is it official? Either way, it's not used often or well. Btw, posting a second post to each OP saying books aren't free any more just to make a point isn't really helpful either, imo. As I mentioned there, I believe that is what the dead deal link is for in the original post. Mods, do speak up if that is not the case. As I said, just my opinion.

Mods, here is my suggestion, I hope it is useful. We have Hot Deals, and we have Free Deals, each section having its own "quirks," which I think most users understand. Rather than figure out which of these to use, create a new section, called Digital Deals. As I hope makes sense, this would be the new place for all kinds of deals on things for download, like books, music, apps etc. This can be for free stuff or reduced price (Hot) deals, and could even be sub-categorized by types or platform (android, iOS, Kindle, etc.) I guess it would make sense to put computer software for download in there as well.

The members, like me, who do appreciate those kinds of deals would be happy, because they are in one place, and not in the free section, which I honestly don't often even check, for good or bad. On the other hand, members who don't care or don't want to see those types of detritus in the free section could just ignore the section all together. I think it would also make Fatwallet appear as actively staying current and relevant, even being something to advertise and tout, as there is no great place online to find, for instance, all the Kindle deals. It's is obviously something that is an active topic of consideration here.

Just my few pennies worth. I hope this was useful. Best regards!

iTEKdeals said:   mapatsfan said:   Apparently mods are happy with people cluttering the Free Stuff forum.

Is it official? Either way, it's not used often or well. Btw, posting a second post to each OP saying books aren't free any more just to make a point isn't really helpful either, imo. As I mentioned there, I believe that is what the dead deal link is for in the original post. Mods, do speak up if that is not the case. As I said, just my opinion.

Mods, here is my suggestion, I hope it is useful. We have Hot Deals, and we have Free Deals, each section having its own "quirks," which I think most users understand. Rather than figure out which of these to use, create a new section, called Digital Deals. As I hope makes sense, this would be the new place for all kinds of deals on things for download, like books, music, apps etc. This can be for free stuff or reduced price (Hot) deals, and could even be sub-categorized by types or platform (android, iOS, Kindle, etc.) I guess it would make sense to put computer software for download in there as well.

The members, like me, who do appreciate those kinds of deals would be happy, because they are in one place, and not in the free section, which I honestly don't often even check, for good or bad. On the other hand, members who don't care or don't want to see those types of detritus in the free section could just ignore the section all together. I think it would also make Fatwallet appear as actively staying current and relevant, even being something to advertise and tout, as there is no great place online to find, for instance, all the Kindle deals. It's is obviously something that is an active topic of consideration here.

Just my few pennies worth. I hope this was useful. Best regards!
Thank you for the suggestion. Such information is helpful in situations like this.

In short, the current approach we're taking is to simply apply our guides for HD and FS to free kindle books. If a book is valued at more than $10, it will go into HD. If less, then FS. Because we know that some books can have drastically inflated prices in order to push "sale" times, we also have a bit of mod discretion regarding the perceived value of the book.

That's how we're currently handling these. What the future holds...I don't know.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.