• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
MS or FW?

I upgraded my 'antique' (but NEW to me!) Vista SP1 w/IE7 system to Vista SP2 w/IE8 over a month, or two(?), ago and everything has worked just fine for weeks. Recently CitiCard updated their website (now using a TON of JavaScript so I can no longer RIGHT-CLICK on LINKs to open a New Tab ) and I began getting 'Timeouts without Errors' - i.e. I'd get a BLANK screen with 'Done' on the Status Bar.

Over the past two days, I've been getting "Script running too long - Cancel?" error messages on FW. Since IE8 has been in place for over a month, did something recently change on FW?

Thanks!

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Glad to hear it's working as expected! Please be sure to let us know if it acts up again, and thanks again everyone for... (more)

MVP9596 (Jan. 22, 2013 @ 8:51a) |

NantucketSunrise,

THANKS MUCH for standing up in my absense! {ThumbsUp}

I started getting TOO MANY errors on various sites... (more)

TakeTheActive (Jan. 22, 2013 @ 5:38p) |

• THANKS!

No 'Script Running Too Long' errors in the past hour of returning to post on FW via CLASSIC View.(more)

TakeTheActive (Jan. 22, 2013 @ 5:55p) |

This interminable wait to open every single Fatwallet page,

and the error box that comes up that says (paraphrasing) "a script that is running on this page is taking too long, can I please cancel it?"

is DRIVING ME BANANAS today.

Today is the first day that I've noticed this on Fatwallet in all the years that I've been coming here, and I haven't done anything to change my Internet Explorer version, computer, or anything.

I've checked out several subpages of FatWallet and haven't received any timeouts or script errors and am unaware of any changes that would result in this. Admittedly, I don't have IE8 to run and compare. I've sent a notification to the lead to check this out. Are you getting errors on ever FatWallet page as well TakeTheActive?

Can either of you let us know if this is still happening? If so, what pages are you on when it happens?

Yes it's still happening today.

On 90% of pages, if not 100% of them. There might be a few stray pages that have let me look at them without dallying around with the script error window, but not many.

I'm tearing my hair out! It makes everything so slow on Fatwallet.

Each page that I open/click-on stays blank for at least 60 seconds (no exaggeration) while it dithers about what to do, and then finally a secondary window pops up that says a script is making the page slow and do I want to cancel the script (or something to that effect, I'm sure you technical folks know the error message that I mean). I say "yes" to that window and then the page I wanted comes up. And then when I want to go to another page, even just to the next page of comments within the same thread, it starts from the beginning and dithers around.

This is not happening on any other website I'm visiting.

IE 8 (my laptop can't handle IE 9), Vista, same computer I've accessed FW on for years, no new installed software or changes in security settings. I haven't made any changes to my computer that immediately preceeded this issue, which started when I first visited FW yesterday. I did download the current updates for Java and Adobe Reader very late last night, but that was after this FW script problem had already happened on my computer all day long. The FW script problem is happening today too, so those updates appear to be unrelated. (And I wouldn't have expected them to be related to the script error anyway, but I'm just being thorough in my explanation.)

BTW, if I can provide you any more information about my experiences of this, please send me a private-message to make sure I get your communication(s). It was only a fluke that I clicked back onto this forum today and saw that there was an unread message in this thread. Thanks for checking into this.

----
This error really buggers Internet Explorer up when you try to quickly open more than one hyperlink in succession - I've learned to patiently open one page at a time and let it find its feet before clicking anything else.

Also, today and yesterday when I've been on the FW website, I have gotten a lot of warning pop-ups from Norton Internet Security saying that my something-or-other is having a really high demand on its resources. Like every 10 minutes, even though I'm hardly doing anything with the computer but sedately looking at a couple of FW threads.

Update:

I've only seen the a-script-is-causing-problems error window one time in the last half hour, but even though the error window is not appearing very much now, EVERY time that I click on a new page on FW, there is still a hesitation of about 30 seconds to 60 seconds before the page will load and be operable.

While the page is in limbo, the cursor turns into an hourglass, and I can't click anywhere on the page until it sorts itself out after 30-60 seconds. About 1 time out of 10, the page itself will appear to be overlaid with a ghostly-white texture (like it's fading out). The other times, it stays the same color. In either case, nothing can be clicked on and everything is stopped for WAY too long.

Despite the frustration and time delays, I'm only soldiering through on FW because I am simultaneously watching the Oprah/Armstrong interviews and I had a goal this week of skimming through the last 90 days' of threads in a handful of the forums that I want to follow going forward, and I just want to get that over with before the weekend.

I hope you guys can get this fixed!

This site has "Issues"
When I open a forum page a windows pop-up/warning appears stating:
"Stop runnung script?
A script on this page is causing Internet explorer to run slowly. If it continues to run your computer may become unresponsive."
If I dont stop the script the site seems to freeze IE. This happens on my quad core XP desktop and my win 7 laptop. If I open Task manager processes iexplorer.exe is using 50% cpu load and over 350,000k memory. I'd like to know what script is running.

Also having this issue ... pages take forever to finish loading without the error, or the error comes up asking me to stop running the script.

This is happening on IE 8 on Windows XP, 7, and Vista.

It is driving me bonkers and makes me want to avoid FW.

If it matters, I am using CLASSIC view on FW.

---------------------------
Windows Internet Explorer
Stop running this script?

A script on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run slowly.
If it continues to run, your computer might become
unresponsive.

Yes No

Just an update now at 12:30 am Sun morning

Logged onto FW for a quick moment - very first page I tried to click on gave me the script error window, second page gave me script error window, next 2 pages did not.

All 4 pages took 30 seconds each to load, all 4 pages firstly went to a blank white screen while the computer deliberated on what to do with the problematic scripts, all 4 pages are making the cursor turn into an hourglass (and my blood pressure rise).

I breezed around Amazon, drugstore.com, several banking sites, and several newspaper websites earlier today with NO problem at all. It seems localized just to Fatwallet.

I come to this forum when something is odd with the site. Not surprised to see this thread. IE9 on Win7. No error message, just very slow.

1. click
2. wait
3. laptop fan turns on
4. continue

Been having this problem for several days now. Using IE8 but have not upgraded in a long time. It happens on most of the threads I click on as well as my favorites page. Strangely enough, this thread loads fine.

Seems like something has changed recently on FW as I dont have this problem on any other website...

I noticed the same problem a few days ago. Whatever FW did, they need to undo.

Site runs fine if I log out and surf as a guest.

ebaker said:   Site runs fine if I log out and surf as a guest.
I too noticed this, no problems unless logged in.
If it matters using IE9 and Windows 7

ebaker said:   Site runs fine if I log out and surf as a guest.

Guest mode uses modern view ... just curious, what forum view do you use when logged in? I use "Classic" ... maybe something particular to the view?

Some people in the thread are using modern. We're looking into it and trying to resolve it. If possible, can you try a different browser and see if you're still having problems. I do think it's IE specific, but any extra info is appreciated.

MVP9596 said:   Some people in the thread are using modern. We're looking into it and trying to resolve it. If possible, can you try a different browser and see if you're still having problems. I do think it's IE specific, but any extra info is appreciated.

I used Chrome last night and had no problems. Went back to IE 8 and the same pages gave me trouble.

Should also add, no problems in IE 9 ... just IE 8

Just got an update. The dev team is working on getting it figured out. They think they've got the reason nailed down, but now they're working on a fix. Thanks everyone for your continued patience!

Ok, they just pushed an update live. Could folks who have been having problems could test it now and let us know if it's working as expected?

Seems to be back to normal. IE9 Win7, classic view.

Working better for me now, IE8 with XP...

MVP9596 said:   Ok, they just pushed an update live. Could folks who have been having problems could test it now and let us know if it's working as expected?

Working on IE8 with Win XP.

By the way, unlike some previous posters, I had the same problems with the script error window and the long time delay in loading webpages BOTH when I was a guest AND when I was logged in under my username -- no difference whatsoever.

----
I'm happy to report that tonight I'm breezing around the site with no troubles at all, no delays or error messages.

Glad to hear it's working as expected! Please be sure to let us know if it acts up again, and thanks again everyone for your patience.

NantucketSunrise said:   ...IE 8 (my laptop can't handle IE 9), Vista, same computer I've accessed FW on for years, no new installed software or changes in security settings. I haven't made any changes to my computer that immediately preceeded this issue, which started when I first visited FW yesterday. I did download the current updates for Java and Adobe Reader very late last night, but that was after this FW script problem had already happened on my computer all day long. The FW script problem is happening today too, so those updates appear to be unrelated. (And I wouldn't have expected them to be related to the script error anyway, but I'm just being thorough in my explanation.)NantucketSunrise,

THANKS MUCH for standing up in my absense! {ThumbsUp}

I started getting TOO MANY errors on various sites with IE7 under Vista SP1 (my main browser, Firefox 3.6.28 with numerous 'Safety' Plug-Ins, was getting rejected so much that I was forced into using IE7 to pay bills and perform other IMPORTANT stuff) that after some research about Vista with IE8 vs IE9, I concluded, as you apparently did, to go with IE8 - Woe Are We! MEMORY LEAKS GALORE!!! - where I was EASILY able to open at least 120 Tabs in 3 Firefox windows (from FF 1.?.?.12 to FF 3.6.28), MS recommends opening a NEW WINDOW for EVERY *FOUR* TABS in IE!!! {RollEyes}

I also need to post in the CitiCard VAN thread about CitiCard Tech Support admitting to me that they have (had?) TONs of open Trouble Tickets regarding their latest website revision and IE8. I was told to either downgrade back to IE7 or upgrade to IE9 - they have NO SOLUTION for IE8.

My plan is (or was, until my Cold or Flu got worse) to try IE7 on an old Win2K Pro Desktop and also see if IE9 on my Win7 Laptop HTPC reacted any differently. The laptop is connected to a Hauppauge PVR-1212 connected to a FiOS STB, an IR Receiver for a WMC Remote, a USB 7.1 Digital-to-Analog Sound Device, etc... so moving it would be inconvenient and using it requires standing and typing on a keyboard on the top of my Entertainment Center at shoulder level.

One *SAD* discovery that I made during my IE8 research is that the Registry entries for IE8 (at least on my Vista SP2 Desktop) get CORRUPTED quite frequently and I need to go to Tools -> Advanced -> Reset *MUCH* more often than ANY other version of IE .

What was YOUR decision to avoid IE9 and use IE8 with Vista based on?

Thanks!

• MVP9596 said:   Just got an update. The dev team is working on getting it figured out. They think they've got the reason nailed down, but now they're working on a fix. Thanks everyone for your continued patience!
    • MVP9596 said:   Ok, they just pushed an update live. Could folks who have been having problems could test it now and let us know if it's working as expected?THANKS!

No 'Script Running Too Long' errors in the past hour of returning to post on FW via CLASSIC View.

Edit: Added 'CLASSIC View'

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014