• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
First let me say it is probably my fault BUT I have searched several different ways (different key words) before I start a thread and find nothing. Then later I find that something like I have posted was already there? Also many times I will remember that I saw something last week so I use the search bar again and do not find what I am looking for. So I try different key words and still do not find what I am looking for. The only way I can find it is to start at the main forum menu and look at the next 20 then the next 20..........and more and more. WHY? In some cases I have gone to Google and found what I was looking for on fatwallet??? What can I do different. I know this is not the place to post this (it is not a deal) but did not see another place to post this question.

Tightpapa

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
What thread are you looking for, what search are you using?

MVP9596 (Feb. 19, 2013 @ 12:33p) |

I just tried it again and it seems to be finding the threads now. Don't know why maybe user error????
Sorry

tightpapa (Feb. 20, 2013 @ 9:14p) |

No worries

MVP9596 (Feb. 21, 2013 @ 4:11p) |

Thanks for asking. We realize that our search does need improvement. As far as I know, it is continually getting better.

If you are searching for a possible previous post for a deal, here's what I would recommend. Set your filter to show only the deals for that store. That will make skimming them easier. Then do a partial keyword search for something you think would be in the title (like "toilet" for toilet paper). More than likely, if it's in the forums, you will find it.

Also, we have a repost checker when you post a deal. If it has a possible hit, make sure to check it out.

I hope that helps.

Thanks I will try your suggestions. Have you used the search. Of course you know all the correct things to do. Have you watched someone search that does not know all that you know.

Question I just did a search for buster (of Dave and busters) in the main search bar. Did not find Dave and Busters. But I went to forum search and found it. WHY?

Good question. I don't know why it didn't work. This is the kind of feedback we need though as we work to improve search. It's a specific event that we can reproduce. Thanks for that.

I'm sorry to say that, in my opinion, the search function of this website has been pretty bad for all the years that I've been a member and it hasn't improved one jot in that time, even though I (and others, naturally) have made suggestions about doing so, over the years.

If anything, the search function misses more stuff now, because there is more stuff in the database/archives.

Long ago, I learned to save all my FW threads' original posts (if they were lengthy and/or had taken a lot of time for me to put together, which is often the case for me, that's how I do things) in Word documents, so that I could get to them if necessary in the future, because I realized they'd probably fall off the end of the earth here, based on some experience.

I've had official assurances that no threads are ever deleted, but some of my threads in the past seem to have been, because I've tried to find them and just couldn't. Even with manipulating the non-intuitive, clunky, off-putting search page, to look under "archives" etc.

It's not just based on one's own memory - there is one thread I wrote here which was named in a different finance blog (the blogger credited me for it) but wasn't here when I looked for it. (Maybe I didn't look carefully enough, certainly; maybe it really is here somewhere.)

I'm sorry to be so critical, and I wish it weren't how I really feel, but I think that the inadequate search function lets Fatwallet (as an organization) down terribly, and of course lets all the "volunteer" contributors (which is what we all are as members) down too, and I don't know why this is the status quo.

If you can't have a decent search function, then just go to putting a private google search in place, like so many other sites have done. I dislike when websites do that because the results can be all over the place, but maybe that would be easier for everyone.

The amount of valuable information and retelling of experiences, which past members have dedicated so many hours to, that has been obfuscated by this bad search function, or even lost (in practice if not in principle), is huge.

It's quite de-motivating when you realize that, if one of your motivations as a contributor here is to help people.

I wrote a Fatwallet-forum post about this very topic some years ago - I saved it on Word, but I've probably just repeated my points again here in this post, so I won't try to locate it here.

Tip: One way to find Fatwallet threads from the past is to just look up the keywords in a normal online search engine along with the keyword "fatwallet".

Also, if any thread here seems like it will be useful to you in the future, mark it a a favorite thread via your Fatwallet account, save the url in your internet favorites, and/or even save the entire thread into Word on your computer. That way, you can maintain your own library of good info.

Thanks Sunrise. I agree with many of your points. Maybe we can get them to change the priority on the search. I just thought I was doing something wrong. I was a programmer and know how business can ignore what seems to be important to the users because IT thinks it is not worth the effort. I know that may sound a little harsh but I have seen it in action. I don’t know if that is what is going on here. But it is frustrating when you know you saw something and then cannot find it. I don’t know how many IT people FW has but a competing site with a good search would draw the users to that site.

PS: I am retired now – maybe I could start a site like this. LOL

Thanks
TightPapa

tightpapa said:   Question I just did a search for buster (of Dave and busters) in the main search bar. Did not find Dave and Busters. But I went to forum search and found it. WHY?

Is this the Dave and Busters thread were you looking for? I ask because I can't find it in the site search, but did in the forums search. I'll put in a bug ticket for it in the morning, see what the search gurus can find.

NantucketSunrise,

Surprisingly, today we first meet *AND* agree once again!

• NantucketSunrise said:   I'm sorry to say that, in my opinion, the search function of this website has been pretty bad for all the years that I've been a member and it hasn't improved one jot in that time, even though I (and others, naturally) have made suggestions about doing so, over the years...I agree with you 100%. But, IMHO, it's probably due to the RESTRAINTS placed on the PROGRAMMERS / DEVELOPERS by the OWNERS based on the ORIGINAL DECISION to use FuseTalk and the expense involved in converting YEARS of data into a format more easily searchable.

• NantucketSunrise said:   ...Long ago, I learned to save all my FW threads' original posts (if they were lengthy and/or had taken a lot of time for me to put together, which is often the case for me, that's how I do things) in Word documents, so that I could get to them if necessary in the future, because I realized they'd probably fall off the end of the earth here, based on some experience...I use NotePad, since the saved files are much smaller - ala just pure TEXT without the unnecessary WORD 'overhead'.

• NantucketSunrise said:   ...If you can't have a decent search function, then just go to putting a private google search in place, like so many other sites have done...
    1. The FIRST thing to try when SEARCHing is to LIMIT your SEARCH PARAMETERS, as NantucketSunrise stated. It's better to get TOO MANY results than NONE. From your TOO MANY results, you can then 'Fine-Tune' your SEARCH.
    2. Next, you have to INDIVIDUALLY SEARCH Current *AND* Archived - yeah, it's a PITA.
      AVS Forums have a script that detects (paraphrasing) "Not found in current database - do you wish to SEARCH our Archives?"

Maybe the FW Developers can develop a similar script for FW / 'FuseTalk'?

• NantucketSunrise said:   ...I dislike when websites do that because the results can be all over the place, but maybe that would be easier for everyone....Better to get TOO MANY results than *NONE*...

• NantucketSunrise said:   ...Tip: One way to find Fatwallet threads from the past is to just look up the keywords in a normal online search engine along with the keyword "fatwallet"...Thanks!

I'll have to remember to try this.

• NantucketSunrise said:   ...Also, if any thread here seems like it will be useful to you in the future, mark it a a favorite thread via your Fatwallet account...I do this ALL the time!

I dislike the "FW 90 Day No Activity - Transfer to Archived Rule", but FAVORITES helps quite a bit.

Yes that is the thread. Sorry I did not include the quote. But that is it.

Thanks
TightPapa

Forum Search
Searching free stuff, titles, all dates, active topics for 'cokerewards', sorted by popularity

Forum Topics
Search Again See this in our site search
There doesn't seem to be any results for what you're looking for. You could try going back and searching for something else..

AND I WAS IN THE FREE STUFF THREAD??????

I just searched for MYCOKEREWARDS and found 2 entries? Adding the MY helped a little.

Tightpapa

tightpapa said:   Forum Search
Searching free stuff, titles, all dates, active topics for 'cokerewards', sorted by popularity

Forum Topics
There doesn't seem to be any results for what you're looking for. You could try going back and searching for something else..

NantucketSunrise said:   I'm sorry to say that, in my opinion, the search function of this website has been pretty bad for all the years that I've been a member and it hasn't improved one jot in that time, even though I (and others, naturally) have made suggestions about doing so, over the years.

I could say the same thing, and I've been here a lot longer than you (For those wondering, hover cursor over my avatar to see when I joined). I had a problem recently with finding two Mary Kay threads in the Free Stuff forum. I tried "MaryKay" and Mary Kay", got a bunch of old archived ones, but not the recent ones. Another member had the exact same problem. She wanted to report receiving an item from one of the Mary Kay threads, but couldn't find it. Saw KayK mention in OT using Google with the word "Fatwallet" included in the search string. I found both threads using "Fatwallet Mary Kay" and "Fatwallet MaryKay". Neither would come up using the FS search, or the Forum Search link. But both showed up using Google.

I have had problems finding threads to report reposts, because I remembered seeing the original. Sure enough, using Google worked. But if I couldn't find the original to report the repost, the poor person making the repost probably couldn't either, leading them too assume they weren't making a repost. Sometimes that poor person was me, the original failed to show when I search. This has been a long time frustrating problem, with promises of upgrades and fix-its. But problems persists. Google search FTW!

tightpapa said:   Forum Search

Forum Topics

Cokerewards search

Using cokerewards as my search term, searching free stuff, titles & orig. posts, all dates, active topics for 'cokerewards', sorted by posted date and I see the master thread. What would you expect to find?

This is the closest I can get to a screen shot of what I got. >>>Hot Deals|Free Stuff|Finance|Topic Alerts|Today|Forum Search« edit Select a Forum Hot Deals Black Friday 2012 Contests and Sweepstakes Deal Discussion Expired Deals FatWallet Finance Free Stuff Grocery Coupons & Deals Off Topic Online Auction Info Online Coupon Trading Technology Testing 1 2 3 Travel Discussion Welcome

You are here: Forums > Forum Search

Forum Search

Forum Topics Search Again See this in our site search

I later searched using the main search bar and got the main thread. I also searched with MY on the front and got the main thread. But it appears when I use search the thread it does not work? 2 different results depending where you do the search?

MVP9596 said:   tightpapa said:   Forum Search

Forum Topics

Cokerewards search

Using cokerewards as my search term, searching free stuff, titles & orig. posts, all dates, active topics for 'cokerewards', sorted by posted date and I see the master thread. What would you expect to find?

cokerewards (with the S) is in the OP. cokereward (without the S) is in the title. That's why search didn't catch it for tightpapa. There are 91 references to cokerewards (with the S) in the entire topic, but it's there's no S in that title...

Connman said:   cokerewards (with the S) is in the OP. cokereward (without the S) is in the title. That's why search didn't catch it for tightpapa. There are 91 references to cokerewards (with the S) in the entire topic, but it's there's no S in that title...

How did you get 91? Here is the screen copy I got. .... only 12. when i used the searh at the top of the page. Sorry about the spacing ... wish i could do screen shots. When I used the forum search for mycokerewards I got 2 items.

»Forums
12» Titles & Orig. Posts
8Titles
21Complete Topics
12» All Forums
3Hot Deals
0Black Friday 2012
2Contests and Sweepstakes
1Deal Discussion
4Expired Deals
0FatWallet
0FatWallet Tools
0Finance
2Free Stuff
0Grocery Coupons & Deals
0Off Topic
0Online Auction Info
0Online Coupon Trading
0Technology
0Testing 1 2 3
0Travel Discussion
0Welcome
12» All Dates
1Past Week
3Past Month
11Past Year
To:
12» Active Topics
(slow)Archived Topics
Posted By:
Search More:
» Sort by Popularity
Sort by Posted Date
Sort by Replies
Sort by Rating
Sort by Last Message
Sort by Relevance

Inside the single topic, not the entire forum.

tightpapa said:    Sorry about the spacing ... wish i could do screen shots.

Gadwin PrintScreen 4.6 freeware, about 3/4 down the page in link. Install and set-up. To use, just hit the "Print Scrn" button on your keyboard. Creates a folder labelled "Printscreen Files" that you can find in your documents list. Best screen-shot program for Windows out there. So simple to use.

TightPapa,

I do screen shots by opening a Word document,
going back to what I want a screen shot of and pressing the Control key and Print Screen (Prt Sc) key simultaneously,
then clicking the cursor in the Word document and pressing the Control key and the letter-C key simultaneously which copies the screen shot picture into the Word document.

Couldn't be simpler.

From there, I think you can make a pdf document from the word document, if that's what you need.

SweetClover said:   I have had problems finding threads to report reposts, because I remembered seeing the original. Sure enough, using Google worked. But if I couldn't find the original to report the repost, the poor person making the repost probably couldn't either, leading them too assume they weren't making a repost. Sometimes that poor person was me, the original failed to show when I search. This has been a long time frustrating problem, with promises of upgrades and fix-its. But problems persists.

For a place that is so strict about reposting anything that's been mentioned before, they don't offer a decent search system for the responsible people who do try to see if a topic has been mentioned before.

This happened to me too the other day, when I diligently searched the FW search area for Amazon MP3s and found nothing relevant to my particular topic, so I made a new thread about my topic, only to get redded and locked and moved because someone had posted a thread about it 10 days earlier -- even though that thread only gave half the information about the deal (it talked about future value of new purchases, whereas I was talking about all the value that could be extracted for free from one's past purchases) and that first thread didn't explain the deal completely in the headline, and the half of the information that the first thread gave was not the part that I had found valuable and was trying to bring to the attention of people on FW ... but anyway.

Whilst the locked thread got redded in Hot Deals and then was banished to Deal Discussion, I went ahead and posted the same thread anew in Free Stuff, knowing that the moderators would lock it too, but knowing at least some people who do care about Free Stuff would learn about it that way (if they read the greyed-out threads), and it ended up getting some greens there, so I felt a little vindicated.

However, I made an off-the-cuff comment last week on someone else's new JC Penney thread about a deal the store was running last month, and I got redded and blamed on the thread for having the temerity to mention a past deal when I had not created a FW thread about the deal last month, but the thing was, I came to FW last month to see if anyone had mentioned the deal, and I duly did a search on it, and I found that someone had already created a thread about the deal, therefore I knew that any thread I would have posted would have been locked and mainly ignored --- yet I was jumped on by people who hadn't seen that original thread and were assuming that I had kept the deal to myself or something. You just can't win.

NantucketSunrise said:   For a place that is so strict about ...Feel better? "Calm member", eh?

NantucketSunrise said:   SweetClover said:   I have had problems finding threads to report reposts, because I remembered seeing the original. Sure enough, using Google worked. But if I couldn't find the original to report the repost, the poor person making the repost probably couldn't either, leading them too assume they weren't making a repost. Sometimes that poor person was me, the original failed to show when I search. This has been a long time frustrating problem, with promises of upgrades and fix-its. But problems persists.

For a place that is so strict about reposting anything that's been mentioned before, they don't offer a decent search system for the responsible people who do try to see if a topic has been mentioned before.

This happened to me too the other day, when I diligently searched the FW search area for Amazon MP3s and found nothing relevant to my particular topic, so I made a new thread about my topic, only to get redded and locked and moved because someone had posted a thread about it 10 days earlier -- even though that thread only gave half the information about the deal (it talked about future value of new purchases, whereas I was talking about all the value that could be extracted for free from one's past purchases) and that first thread didn't explain the deal completely in the headline, and the half of the information that the first thread gave was not the part that I had found valuable and was trying to bring to the attention of people on FW ... but anyway.

Whilst the locked thread got redded in Hot Deals and then was banished to Deal Discussion, I went ahead and posted the same thread anew in Free Stuff, knowing that the moderators would lock it too, but knowing at least some people who do care about Free Stuff would learn about it that way (if they read the greyed-out threads), and it ended up getting some greens there, so I felt a little vindicated.

However, I made an off-the-cuff comment last week on someone else's new JC Penney thread about a deal the store was running last month, and I got redded and blamed on the thread for having the temerity to mention a past deal when I had not created a FW thread about the deal last month, but the thing was, I came to FW last month to see if anyone had mentioned the deal, and I duly did a search on it, and I found that someone had already created a thread about the deal, therefore I knew that any thread I would have posted would have been locked and mainly ignored --- yet I was jumped on by people who hadn't seen that original thread and were assuming that I had kept the deal to myself or something. You just can't win.

Big Amen on that

I just did a search for Dave and Buster's and again for Buster's and for Busters but only find one that points to Dave and Buster's Why is that?

What thread are you looking for, what search are you using?

I just tried it again and it seems to be finding the threads now. Don't know why maybe user error????
Sorry

No worries

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014