Bug: Quick Summary and Smart quotes

Archived From: FatWallet
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I copy this text from a post and paste it into the quick summary:
Start -> Run -> gpedit.msc -> User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update.
There, you will find an option called Do not adjust default option to Install Updates And Shut Down in Shut Down Windows dialog box. If you enable this, then clicking Shut Down will just shut down your computer without installing updates. However, the Install Updates And Shut Down option is still available in the little menu, in case you need it

It shows up with strange characters instead of the quotes. (quotes that work in regular postings). As a web developer, I realize these things can be a pain in the butt.

Anyhow, I then try to change the bad characters to the regular " but unfortunately, it still adds some strange character. I edit it again to remove the strange characters and they keep coming back.
Start -> Run -> gpedit.msc -> User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update.
There, you will find an option called "œDo not adjust default option to "˜Install Updates And Shut Down"™ in Shut Down Windows dialog box". If you enable this, then clicking "œShut Down" will just shut down your computer without installing updates. However, the "œInstall Updates And Shut Down" option is still available in the little menu, in case you need it

See history.
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/viewmessagehistory.php?messageid...

Member Summary
Try #1

There, you will find an option called “Do not adjust default option to ‘Install Updates And Shut Down’ in Shut Down Windows dialog box”. If you enable this, then clicking “Shut Down” will just shut down your computer without installing updates. However, the “Install Updates And Shut Down” option is still available in the little menu, in case you need it

Thanks for pointing that out. I'm going to bump this to someone to look into it.

is there any answer to this? I'm curious about this too. I gave up putting items that have the (c) or the (r) ? thing in them to the QS or even trying the cut/paste from one post to another because of the strange characters.

(the weird A's start showing up after I do the copy/paste thing, even into a post/reply sometimes)

I put a bug ticket in for it to be looked into. It's something to do with unicode and special characters, I *think*.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014