• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I think there used to be an automatic notification about this?

In the last couple weeks, I've started a couple of topics that were held back for a moderator's approval before they were published, but I didn't get any notice about that process - after I posted the new topics I just saw a blank screen, which is discombobulating because you wonder if you've just lost everything that you've typed due to a computer glitch, or what.

A little pop-up window letting the author know that the new-topic text must be reviewed by a moderator before it is posted would be great.

I think this kind of small announcement does pop up somewhere when one tries to edit a quick summary of an existing thread and the site's filters pick up something that is possibly incendiary (and quick summary moderation was the subject of a separate discussion in this forum recently).

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

It looks like you don't get the pop up for new topics, but you do for replies. I'll take a look at this Monday and see if that stopped working, or if it never existed for a new topic. Could be it's working as designed, or something might have broke along the way.

NantucketSunrise said:   In the last couple weeks, I've started a couple of topics that were held back for a moderator's approval before they were published, but I didn't get any notice about that process - after I posted the new topics I just saw a blank screen, which is discombobulating because you wonder if you've just lost everything that you've typed due to a computer glitch, or what.

I have sometimes gotten the blank screen after posting a new topic, and I don't think it had anything to do with moderation. I just assumed it was a momentary glitch. I have found that a) If I use the 'Back" arrow, the original post is still there, and b) if I simply refresh the forum page, the post shows up. Did you ever receive a message from a mod stating your topic was being held back for approval? Or are you assuming that because you got the blank screen when posting?

Did you ever receive a message from a mod stating your topic was being held back for approval?
In those instances where I got blank screens, I didn't receive a message from the moderator, which is why I asked above for some kind of indication that an OP is being checked over. If I'd received a message from the moderator, I wouldn't have asked here for a second kind of indication.

I have found that a) If I use the 'Back" arrow, the original post is still there,
When I got those blank screens, I then clicked back on the main page of the forums I'd posted the threads in, but my threads did NOT show up. If they had, I wouldn't have worried about the blank screens. It took maybe 5 minutes for the threads to show up on the forum main pages.

b) if I simply refresh the forum page, the post shows up.
When I got those blank screens, I pressed the back button, and didn't get anything. Which is why I feared that I had lost the text that I typed and that the posts had been lost due to a computer glitch.

are you assuming that because you got the blank screen when posting?
When I got the blank screen, I assumed that those particular OPs were being checked over because they contained some words/ideas that might have set off the censoring apparatus, whereas other threads I've started in the past month which have been obviously benign from the get-go were always posted immediately.

It is possible that the blank screens were random flukes and not indicative that those OPs were being looked over by a moderator. Maybe the folks who are looking into this issue can see if there is a record that any of my threads from the last few weeks were held for double-checking, or maybe they don't keep records of that.

NantucketSunrise said:   When I got the blank screen, I assumed that those particular OPs were being checked over because they contained some words/ideas that might have set off the censoring apparatus, whereas other threads I've started in the past month which have been obviously benign from the get-go were always posted immediately.

It is possible that the blank screens were random flukes and not indicative that those OPs were being looked over by a moderator. Maybe the folks who are looking into this issue can see if there is a record that any of my threads from the last few weeks were held for double-checking, or maybe they don't keep records of that.

It's been a very long time, but I recall that when attempting to post censored content, that the offending content would be highlighted, and you would get a screen saying that 'you're post contains forbidden content, please fix the highlighted items' (or something to that effect) then you could post. Perhaps MVP9596 can confirm whether they still do that. I usually found the "forbidde3n content" to be weird stuff, but supposedly symbols/shorthand that I posted, was also used by some as a means to get around the filters (I know they did relax this at some point, as it got silly as the troublemakers would just find new things, and the tech staff would have to keep updating the filters).

I didn't have 5 minutes pass before my posts would show up, often they appeared in a minute or two. And I always went back to my posts before submitting (using back arrow), when I'd get the blank page. Hopefully MVP9596 will find out what the issue is for you.

This has only happened a couple of times in the past few weeks, and I quickly realized that to avoid losing what I've typed, I should make a control-C copy of my OP and hang onto it for a few minutes until I've verified that the thread has appeared on its forum page.

It's not a big deal to me at all, but to newcomers to Fatwallet, it might be a little concerning or off-putting to have your OP disappear and just get a blank screen, so that's why I recommended adding an automatic window with a generic message explaining what was going on.

And, even if this is happening due to random technical difficulties and not moderator-double-checking, it's happened to me a couple of times lately, so it's probably something that the technical folks want to know about.

happens to me sometimes when i post a deal. i guess in that case it could be that it has to do with the vendor or something. but yeah, something that says "hey morecowbell, you're posting something questionable" would be nice. when you're trying to post something before butcherboy it's nerve-racking :p

I suppose being "cowbell" and imagining being chased by "butcherboy" would be nerve-racking!

This just happened to a new topic I posted 2 minutes ago.

It was on the Free Stuff forum about a free birdwatching project that the Cornell Lab of Ornithology is running this weekend, so it wasn't anything political or controversial or copyright-infringing etc.

I pressed the button to post the topic and my text immediately disappeared, the Free Stuff forum main page came onto my screen, my thread wasn't there in the list, and I was given no indication about what had happened to my post.

The experience is a little bewildering and also feels a little unfriendly, when you have gone to the trouble to contribute to the community but it appears to disappear for no reason (at least in the minutes immediately after you have tried to post the topic).

Some basic (automated, obviously) interaction with and guidance of FW members when they are posting a topic would be a good thing.

I hadn't saved a copy of the post because I didn't take too long to write it and I also didn't think something simple on Free Stuff would be kept back for review, but it was another good lesson and I will save everything I am attempting to post in the future.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014