• Text Only
rated:
Hi folks,

We’ve been working hard on some improvements to the forums!   We’re excited to share them with you!

Voting-

Have you ever had your thread voted red and had no idea why? Well, one of our first improvements should help answer that question. We have implemented voting reasons!  You will be able to provide a reason why you are voting red, for TOPICS (OP) only.   We are not making any changes for replies at this time.

We hope this change will help provide members valuable and relevant feedback when their post isn't performing well.

This is live ONLY for the following forums: 

• Hot Deals
  • Expired Deals
  • Finance
  • Free Stuff
  • Grocery Coupons & Deals
  • Travel Discussion

Brand new WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get!) post editor-

• What you see is what you get! 
  • We have some new formatting options, including adding a horizontal rule and custom tables.
  • We’ve updated our old emoticons and added some new ones.
  • You can now add special characters with the character map built right into the editor.
  • Attachments can now be added in line.
  • Full screen option available.
  • Click source if you want to view your post in traditional BBcode.
  • We also will present you with image attachment suggestions.  If you post a link, look for the image you want to attach and click the check box for any image you wish to attach.

The first time you post with the new editor, you’ll have the option to take a quick tour of the new features. 

New Avatars  !

Congrats to fivetalents, Blackehavoc and zemmy, the winners of our avatar contest!  Look for a message from us soon to claim your FatWallet schwag!

In addition to the three avatars from the contest, we’ve added a large selection of brand new avatars. 

You can also now link your FatWallet account to Gravatar and use the same avatar you use elsewhere on the net!

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I would be one happy camper if all the other formatting buttons were not grey out when you drop into "source" mode.

HTN (Jan. 14, 2014 @ 6:34a) |

Anybody else find the whole "member summary" thing a little redundant and frankly downright useless most of the time?

Che... (more)

TheNastySheriff (Jan. 22, 2014 @ 8:24p) |

^ The pic in QS is usually added by a mod (and yes some of them post the wrong pics lol). I think the reasoning for the ... (more)

gizmo (Jan. 23, 2014 @ 10:48a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Where does the "red reason" go? I just gave this post red, chose "other", and put "Testing" for the reason.

Does the OP see this or what?

EDIT: I see now that if you click "Voting history" next to the +/-, you can see a bar graph of the different categories, but the "other" category's descriptions still appear to be unseen if anyway I can tell.  Also, if you click the green/red bar in the upper left of the OP, it shows who voted up/down, but not any reasons...hmm...

Al3xK said:   Where does the "red reason" go? I just gave this post red, chose "other", and put "Testing" for the reason.

Does the OP see this or what?

testing the quote function.. it's hard to see where the quote ends and my response begins.  i'm using the classic version of the forum.

Yeah, why arent any quotes offset from the other text?  That is terrible and a huge step backwards.

I have just tested the changes on red button here. Thanks for the post

Glitch99 said:   Yeah, why arent any quotes offset from the other text?  That is terrible and a huge step backwards.

in the modern version, the quotes are in a different grayscale than the rest of the post so it's more obvious.  fwiw, i like the classic version better and it would be nice to continue using it.

more south dakota like

MDfive21 said:   
Glitch99 said:   Yeah, why arent any quotes offset from the other text?  That is terrible and a huge step backwards.

in the modern version, the quotes are in a different grayscale than the rest of the post so it's more obvious.  fwiw, i like the classic version better and it would be nice to continue using it.

Posts are unreadable in the classic version.  When creating a post everything looks all nice and proper with quotes in offset blocks, but after posting it it becomes one big muddled wall of text.  Including existing posts, not just new posts.

It really bothers me when they try to fix something that isnt broken.

Quotes are horrible.  Switch it back.

thanks

Glitch99 said:   It really bothers me when they try to fix something that isnt broken.

The first and most obvious thing needing fixing on FW is repost clutter.

#1 Stop endless reposts.
#2 Allow readers to create individual filter rules for HOT DEALS so deals at blocked retailers will not appear in our pages of HOT DEAL subjects.
#2A Allow readers to filter away any subject containing the term "up to" in it, as in "up to 95% off" or "save up to 80% off suggested retail price."

dcwilbur said:   Quotes are horrible.  Switch it back.
  Let's see.

dkong said:   
  Let's see.

Switch it back!

Definitely gonna take some getting used to. Not liking it though.

Glitch99 said:   
MDfive21 said:   

Posts are unreadable in the classic version.  When creating a post everything looks all nice and proper with quotes in offset blocks, but after posting it it becomes one big muddled wall of text.  Including existing posts, not just new posts.

Thanks!  We're checking into the quotes issue on classic.  

Bleh. I hate when forums change for apparently no other reason than for the IT people to prove they're worth their salaries. Who was complaining about the old way, anyway?

My sentiments exactly. I recall seeing a recent thread where the op asked why fw forums have declined so much and for me, this is one of those reasons. Change is good IF it's to fix something that's broken, but it seems many of the changes are made just for change sake. I'm one of those old fuddy duddies that would be happy to see the classic forum as it was when I joined a decade ago. All thread titles displayed cleanly, compactly and a working search. Everything else just serves to slow things down. Not just the page loads, but actually reading and looking for deals of interest.

Even mobile is now loaded with extra graphics that makes it take 10 times longer to open when inside some of those windowless big box stores where good cell reception is a bad joke. Trying to search exiting threads to see if it's safe to post new deal is more of a chore than it's worth.

KuoH

Glitch99 said:   

One more vote for fixing Quote display in classic.

No more text option when using the link button???

MVP9596 said:   
  Thanks!  We're checking into the quotes issue on classic.  

If you click on the Source button it reverts to what looks like the old way. Sorta... for me anyway

I know I'm probably the only, or close to it, blind person on this forum...
but how could you add all those new avitars and only label them with such non descriptive names?
really truly disappointed
it would've taken no more work to make these easy to pick from, but they are all just one big lump to me
really hope someone will take the time to change the labels

george2001 said:   No more text option when using the link button???

what do you mean text option? you mean the [ l ] and [ / l ] stuff?

I don't see my speeling mistakes when using the quote function. If I do a quick reply, my mis-spelled words have a red squiggle under them, but not in the quotes.

I agree with better filters, but that's about it. FW should be as simple as possible to use, without anything unnecessary.

There also doesn't seem to be any way to break up existing quotes. I used to be able to quote portions of posts, which doesn't seem to be an option now. It also seems that while quoting, you can no longer remove multi-multi quotes that sometimes take place when people quote each other.

Kudos to you for trying to improve the forum but, in my humble opinion, this is a solution in search of a problem and a pretty poor one at that.

P.S.
I now see that you can click on "source" to accomplish what I was trying to accomplish. This makes the change not as bad as it first appeared but I still don't quite understand what problem this change is intended to fix.

geo123 said:   There also doesn't seem to be any way to break up existing quotes. I used to be able to quote portions of posts, which doesn't seem to be an option now. It also seems that while quoting, you can no longer remove multi-multi quotes that sometimes take place when people quote each other.

Do you mean this? If you prefer BBCode. There is still the "Source" button that allows you to work within BBCode.

geo123 said:   
Kudos to you for trying to improve the forum but, in my humble opinion, this is a solution in search of a problem and a pretty poor one at that.

ChadRoss said:   
Do you mean this? If you prefer BBCode. There is still the "Source" button that allows you to work within BBCode.

Yes, our posts overlapped. At least that option is still there. This makes the change not as bad as it first appeared but I still don't quite understand what problem this change is intended to fix.

VivYip said:   

I mean the ability to use something like "linky" instead of the actual URL being displayed.

While I'm all for progress and providing easier editing tools (WYSIWYG editors) for users, I wish the new "source" view wouldn't deactivate all the formatting functionality for those of us who feel right at home in code view.
EDIT:  I don't mean the WYSIWYG feature, but all the formatting buttons to the left of the "source" button.

george2001 said:   VivYip said:   

I mean the ability to use something like "linky" instead of the actual URL being displayed.

this a link to google

george2001 said:   
VivYip said:   

Ah, that makes sense.  Sorry for not catching that right away.  Try highlighting a word like "Link  " then clicking the link button to insert it.  It's the same functionality, just used slightly different.

Additionally, quoting should be fixed on classic now.  Thanks everyone!

Emoticons do not show up.

Edited to add: n That's odd.  When I posted a couple of hours ago, emoticons were not there.  Now they are.

yep, quotes look good now, TY.

Best new feature is the tables
Funny 9/10
Sad 2/10
Angry 5/10

Not totally sold on the new quote function yet. One thing I noticed is that it doesn't let me copy/paste text within the comment dialog box using mouse right-click. A message popped up saying to use the CTL-C keyboard shortcut instead, which is kind of a step back but not a huge deal until I noticed that it copies formatting and all.

Example: I tried addressing someone further up a quote chain and didn't feel like retyping their user ID, like "awesome point, ChadRoss (Staff)". Copy and pasting the user ID with CTL-C within the full-featured reply window inserts their name in some different, italicized font. Maybe I'm being picky, but I liked the straight-forward function of the old plain text for things like this.

ETA: Okay, I see what you mean about the "Source" button now.  Good for old curmudgeons like me, I guess.

Any way to make the source code view a user's default, or do you have to toggle it with every message?

MeIsCheap said:   I don't see my speeling mistakes when using the quote function. If I do a quick reply, my mis-spelled words have a red squiggle under them, but not in the quotes.

I agree with better filters, but that's about it. FW should be as simple as possible to use, without anything unnecessary.

I agree with all --- and confirm that spell check in chrome no longer works.  

Seriously?

After two months of waiting, THOSE are the "winners" of the avatar contest?

Great feedback. Thank you everyone. Two things I will call out.

1. Spell Check - We are working on this
2. Source by default - I will look into this and see if it is something we can implement.

Why is this a "hot deal"?
The site is still non-PC devices non-friendly.
Also, are there any plans to compensate posters/contributors for their green?

mikejensen said:   Why is this a "hot deal"?Umm.. it's new site features.. and hot deals is the most used forum.The site is still non-PC devices non-friendly.Umm.. what? I use it all the time. Only thing I miss is the ability to see who red/green youAlso, are there any plans to compensate posters/contributors for their green?It's much easier said than planned/implemented. Way too many scenarios for illegal ratings, etc.

Skipping 211 Messages...
^ The pic in QS is usually added by a mod (and yes some of them post the wrong pics lol). I think the reasoning for the image there is because it is that picture which is pulled to the store's deals page or Best Deals. [I think]

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014