• Text Only
fivetalents said:   
imanemokid said:   interesting ... no posts since Oct 8 ... guess everything has been fixed ... hmmm ??

Not from my perspective. None of the problems I reported were addressed so I gave up/moved on.

... and spoke w/ FW staff ... and due to Black Friday and Christmas ... fixes ... will be readdressed after the first of the year ...

and I didn't see it answered in a post ... but the ... the "indent" on the first line has to stay ...

also... when searching ... make sure you do not use any punctuation marks in your search parameters unless you know that they will specifically work as delimiters. If you copy and paste a sentence - remove the punctuation - a period / dash, etc. - along with umlauts - and FW search will probably return a better search result.
And, for sites etc. if you don't get the expected results, try searching for the query without the ".com" or ".xxx" (Newegg instead of Newegg.com)

(and even on coupons.Target.com ... search coupons (currently only 204, so it shouldn't be that difficult ... )

search for L'Oréal - as written - and you will get five results - all L'Oréal Qz.
then because there's an apostophe between the L and O / é - not an e / a / l )
just search for L'Or ... results ... same five Qz

BUT ... then search just for LOr without the apostrophe - and you only get three of the five L'Oréal Qz - (along with a clorox and explorer toy Q - which those two would be correct)

On FW ...Search Results: L'Oréal
There doesn't seem to be any results for what you're looking for. You could try going back and searching for something else.  .  
even though there are pages of topics with the same/correct spelling of L'Oréal. (which does come up under L'Or or LOr)

So, even a large corp like Target still has difficulties w/ their search engine ... and it ain't google.

fivetalents said:   
peas said:   
JiggleTheHandle said:   
Glitch99 said:   It really bothers me when they try to fix something that isnt broken.

The first and most obvious thing needing fixing on FW is repost clutter.

#1 Stop endless reposts.
#2 Allow readers to create individual filter rules for HOT DEALS so deals at blocked retailers will not appear in our pages of HOT DEAL subjects.

Reposts often happen because of FW's horribly awful search engine. In this day and age it's baffling how they can't figure this out. Heck just use Google's results and reformat them.  Really FW it's embarassing.

They seem perfectly capable of quickly shutting down repost threads during the posting frenzy leading up to Black Friday, so it's always baffled me why they don't implement the same procedure the rest of the year. I don't know if they just allocate extra staff to catch reposts during the BF season, making it too expensive to continue year round, but it couldn't be too difficult to at least write a script or macro to flag an original thread/OP for moderator review if it has the exact same link as another active/non-expired OP. Actually, I'm remembering now that during BF, you can't even submit/post an OP flagged as a repost (you get an error message), so there must be an automated procedure already available but rarely used.

One thing I'd like to see addressed is the size of the text entry box for quotes, replies, and creating threads in Android. Now you only can see 2 lines at a time instead of the 10+ line window size prior to the upgrade.

I just got blocked from posting a duplicate deal. I did an internal (i.e., not G00gle) FW search first and used ctrl+F to look for keywords on the most recent 100 threads in the hot-deals forum but neither method found matches. When I tried to post my deal, I got the error message that we normally only see in the Black Friday forum exactly as I previously recommended should be implemented universally ("Possible Duplicate Topics. Please make sure your post content wasn't recently covered by another member in one of the following topics and then click 'Post topic."). Turns out that the deal was incorrectly posted in the free-stuff forum (a freebie worth $10 or more), so it's good that the repost blocker caught it across forum even when the FW search engine didn't find it at all.

This is not a big deal, but I have a quick observation about the emoticons:
How come the emoticons are placed slightly above the text and hence throw off the line spacing in a paragraph?  (see example below)

If I don't use any emoticons, the spacing between lines stays consistent.
As you can see, so far the lines are evenly spaced and will stay that way
until I use an emoticon.  So let's throw in an emoticon and see what happens
to the line spacing.     For some reason, the emoticon is inserted higher
than the text around it and changes the spacing between lines.  Not a huge deal,
but it does make the posts a little untidy and harder to read.  Even though I have
written one continuous paragraph, the use of emoticons have made it look like
there are three paragraphs.    Isn't there a way to program these things so that
they get inserted at the same height as the text in order to keep spacing even?

Thanks.

imanemokid said:   
fivetalents said:   
imanemokid said:   interesting ... no posts since Oct 8 ... guess everything has been fixed ... hmmm ??

Not from my perspective. None of the problems I reported were addressed so I gave up/moved on.

... and spoke w/ FW staff ... and due to Black Friday and Christmas ... fixes ... will be readdressed after the first of the year ...

Well, it's now past the first of the year, BF and Christmas are past.  Let's see if they fix the messed up issue with letting folks just see all the topics, at once, if we like to rather than forcing us to filter our views.
The days back when we could look at EVERYTHING or click on a topic and just view that....WITHOUT having to create extra steps and default settings.

Bochi said:   

Well, it's now past the first of the year, BF and Christmas are past.  Let's see if they fix the messed up issue with letting folks just see all the topics, at once, if we like to rather than forcing us to filter our views.
The days back when we could look at EVERYTHING or click on a topic and just view that....WITHOUT having to create extra steps and default settings.

.. agreed. I *really* want to see the plain 'ole browsing method back. I rarely go over to SD but happened across there during the holidays and NOW I see why people were saying its like SD. Because it IS the same layout  Bad. just bad.

Not sure why designers / developers think complicated is better, K.I.S.S. Do I want to click ONCE to see a category? Of course I do. Why would that even be questioned and changed. Sure, it's nice to be able to save some views, but it should be something completely separate than browsing.

Just go straight to the Source button - it still works and is easy to understand/use.  Sometimes change ISN'T an improvement!

Connman said:   Just go straight to the Source button - it still works and is easy to understand/use.  Sometimes change ISN'T an improvement!

I've found the same thing. If I quote or am copying & pasting a bunch of info, in WYSIWYG it *looks* normal, but if you preview (or post) all of a sudden all the "line returns"/enters don't exist and there's no spacing in-between what I've posted. So I'm with you on using SOURCE!

gizmo said:   
Connman said:   Just go straight to the Source button - it still works and is easy to understand/use.  Sometimes change ISN'T an improvement!
I've found the same thing. If I quote or am copying & pasting a bunch of info, in WYSIWYG it *looks* normal, but if you preview (or post) all of a sudden all the "line returns"/enters don't exist and there's no spacing in-between what I've posted. So I'm with you on using SOURCE!

I would be one happy camper if all the other formatting buttons were not grey out when you drop into "source" mode.

Anybody else find the whole "member summary" thing a little redundant and frankly downright useless most of the time?

Checkout this post as a typical example of what happens. 
Basically, the OP posts his deal and a pic of the product, then someone comes along and enters the same exact picture in the member summary without any additional information.  What good does this do other than take up ~3 inches of valuable forum space? 
Here's an even worst case
Not only is there a duplicate pic in the member summary, but this time it's not even the correct one! 

I think since the introduction of the more user-friendly editor, people are finding that posting pics of products is much easier and hence the member summary might be an outdated function.  Sure sometimes good stuff makes it in the member summary, but more often than not, it's just a duplicate pic posted by someone who wants to get to the next level badge.  Besides, if someone wants to post something pertinent to the deal, they can always go ahead and hit reply.

^ The pic in QS is usually added by a mod (and yes some of them post the wrong pics lol). I think the reasoning for the image there is because it is that picture which is pulled to the store's deals page or Best Deals. [I think]

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014