• Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
rated:

New filters
Disclaimer
We're continuing to work on adding features many members have asked for over the years. The newest addition is the ability to further customize your viewing experience by enhancing your custom views. You can now both include and exclude categories from your view! To do this, we've completely revamped the way the custom views work!

Do you only want to see your favorite categories? Is there a category you don't wish to ever see? You can now include and exclude those categories from your view! Additionally, you can save your custom view so you're only a click away! Do you want to get alerts when something is posted to your saved view? You can do so by subscribing to it! If you want, you can even make your saved view be your default view of the forum.

The first thing you will notice is the walk-through overlay. You can take a tour of the new features to better familiarize yourself with how to use the new custom views!

We've also moved the sorting filters to the left sidebar. You can now use the sorting options as part of your saved view! Other than that, they function as they always have.

If you encounter any bugs, please be sure to let us know in this thread.

Please note, at this time this feature is only available for members using the modern theme.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
How do I get rid of these custom views?

Krazen1211 (Nov. 12, 2013 @ 4:03p) |

Really can't, from what I have seen. You can try "workarounds", but nowhere near as nice and easy as it was before the ... (more)

Bochi (Nov. 12, 2013 @ 6:37p) |

I am really befuddled by web designers these days. Not just here at FW, but in general. There is this push to update, ... (more)

TheNastySheriff (Nov. 13, 2013 @ 3:36a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Finally! Thanks!

halp no button
Disclaimer
Kind of missing a main feature.

Say I want to randomly pick a category? I can't, I have to create a filter then name it!

Not to mention it now takes 4 clicks to get to a category where it used to take 1 and you have to de-select the old category to get a pure view.

Edit: Example: I regularly like to check computers, electronics and TV. I do not want them in one search I want 3 separate searches. There is no option for this other than setting up custom searches for each category. In doing so, I do not regularly see categories that may peek my interest spur of the moment. The best analogy is you're looking at the directory of a hard drive but you never get to see the actual folders, you only get to search for what files are in it.

Don't get me wrong - I like it, but it really needs a quick view plane for each category.

Edit: It also seems to sometimes resize the select category window so you can't hit the apply button. I realize that it has just scrolled off the page and I can scroll down to it, but it was not intuitive and threw me for a loop for a second. My first thought at resolving this issue was to attempt to move the floating dialog, which I can't do. Guarantee my mum would not figure this out. (see image)

I guess I use this place differently. I search for deals for me, and to help many different people around me.

I want to see every good bargain in every catagory but _ONLY_ from businesses I can transact with.

I would rather be able to blackball retailers or be able to see only my set of retailers.

Blackballing is better because I want to see new web places as they enter the marketplace.

Schmide said:   Kind of missing a main feature.

Say I want to randomly pick a category? I can't, I have to create a filter then name it!

Not to mention it now takes 4 clicks to get to a category where it used to take 1 and you have to de-select the old category to get a pure view.

Edit: Example: I regularly like to check computers, electronics and TV. I do not want them in one search I want 3 separate searches. There is no option for this other than setting up custom searches for each category. In doing so, I do not regularly see categories that may peek my interest spur of the moment. The best analogy is you're looking at the directory of a hard drive but you never get to see the actual folders, you only get to search for what files are in it.

Don't get me wrong - I like it, but it really needs a quick view plane for each category.

I agree

The view I would like -- I've written before and asked for this -- is to exclude any *deals* with rebates and/or refurb (IE used) items. Thiscould easily be part of a checklist to click on when putting up a post.

Quite annoying to me to see something that looks decent and then find out it has forty-seven hoops to jump through to get a used tech toy.

I know that many here are totally fine with rebates and used items -- hey, they could even set up a view with only items that have rebates or used items or whatever -- but it's an annoyance to me, esp if the poster does not put it into the title of his post.

JiggleTheHandle said:   I guess I use this place differently. I search for deals for me, and to help many different people around me.

I want to see every good bargain in every catagory but _ONLY_ from businesses I can transact with.

I would rather be able to blackball retailers or be able to see only my set of retailers.

Blackballing is better because I want to see new web places as they enter the marketplace.

This should be something you can do! Select the store you don't want to see, then hit exclude. You can do this for multiple stores. Save your view, then those stores you selected should be excluded from your topic list. You can do the opposite if you want to see a select set of merchants.

Glad I reminded you to go live with this! Works great, currently excluding the following categories of items I won't buy anytime soon, and it has reduced so much clutter!

Music & Movies
Pets
Baby & Kids
Books
Guns & Ammo

I'm old school, I like mine unfiltered, it brings up interesting flavors you won't see otherwise. Also got more real estate as a plus.

SteelRing said:   I'm old school, I like mine unfiltered, it brings up interesting flavors you won't see otherwise. Also got more real estate as a plus.
I agree. Sometimes I like to be surprised by something which I was not expecting. Streamlining is good but maybe FW should offer a classic view too.

Count me in with the old school crowd. I liked it fine the way it was. Maybe once I take the time to create and save and exclude, oh sigh, I will like it better. Now I have to find the time to do all that.

Schmide said:   Kind of missing a main feature.

Edit: It also seems to sometimes resize the select category window so you can't hit the apply button. I realize that it has just scrolled off the page and I can scroll down to it, but it was not intuitive and threw me for a loop for a second. My first thought at resolving this issue was to attempt to move the floating dialog, which I can't do. Guarantee my mum would not figure this out. (see image)

Completely agree, I didn't catch that in the quick look at beta the other day; it's complicated to just look at one category. I do love the filters I can save though.

When are we adding the feature of creating a view which can be subscribed for an instant email once a topic reaches 10+ votes?

Just so you know, I hate the automatic signup interface... I wasn't signed in and it basically forced me to create a new user when I tried to post a reply.

Pretty sure that needs to be changed.

I absolutely detest the new "feature" for the reason Schmide said in post #3 above. It makes the site far less functionable and is this site's equivalent of New Coke.

At least give us the option of being able to access categories easily instead of taking it away completely.

WalterGuy said:   I absolutely detest the new "feature" for the reason Schmide said in post #3 above. It makes the site far less functionable and is this site's equivalent of New Coke.

At least give us the option of being able to access categories easily instead of taking it away completely.

I 100% agree. I can not for the life of me figure out how to look at the guns and ammo section without finding a post in the main listings and click on the guns and ammo link. Used to be able to click the link right on the left side of the screen and whoosh, I was there.

Can anyone help me on how to do this without doing some sort of weird filter?

Is it just me, or is there no way to turn off the Filters once and for all? On multiple machines, the sidebar comes up every time, and every time, I close it to avoid the wasted screen space.

And while we're at it, do we really need to waste an entire line for the Hide Views/Show Views buttons on the left and the FAQ and New Topic buttons on the right? Can't they be combined on the line above that ONLY shows that current Forum (which really should also be combined with the line above that containing ONLY the path to the forum (and repeating the forum name)?

Lots of white-space being wasted there...

>> Not to mention it now takes 4 clicks to get to a category where it used to take 1 and you have to de-select the old category to get a pure view.

This is my biggest beef with it. Formerly, I could check my favorite (individually-selected) categories and glance at the list in under 20 seconds. This is no longer true and it takes much longer. The 'scroll bar' on the pop-up dialogue box is just salt in the time-lost wound.

My question is why the ignore thread feature never seems to stick!

cestmoi123 said:   My question is why the ignore thread feature never seems to stick!

It does now! The threads are removed from your view. Actually just talking about it here

"Not to mention it now takes 4 clicks to get to a category where it used to take 1 and you have to de-select the old category to get a pure view"

I have to agree - not a fan.

cestmoi123 said: My question is why the ignore thread feature never seems to stick!

As gizmo said, it should be working now. Our apologies for that bug causing it to not work.

Please let us know if you run in to any other bugs!

Thanks

MVP9596 said:   
cestmoi123 said: My question is why the ignore thread feature never seems to stick!

As gizmo said, it should be working now. Our apologies for that bug causing it to not work.

Please let us know if you run in to any other bugs!

Thanks

Works now, thanks!

Will this cause posts to also be ignored in Hot Threads, or will they still be listed?

Do you mean the Hot Threads list on the today page? If so, then no, that functionality hasn't changed. That thread list was never built with an ignore function in mind, and lists strictly hot threads, with no filtering or ignoring taken into account. It is some to keep in mind on future improvement lists though!

SteelRing said:   I'm old school, I like mine unfiltered, it brings up interesting flavors you won't see otherwise. Also got more real estate as a plus.

Ditto, Not liking the new view at all
Reminds me of eBay taking away what someone likes and is comfortable using in favor of just making changes.

Is there a simple way to get it back so I can see ALL the hot deals, but I can also just click on the categories JUST TO SEE what is in those categories? I like to see ALL hot deals, and see if anything catches my eyes, but I also like to click on a category (say, TV) and ONLY see TV threads.
I do NOT want to have to make saved search after saved search.

It was so simple and nice just days ago

How do I find the store select page?

Thanks.

MVP9596 said:   
JiggleTheHandle said:   I guess I use this place differently. I search for deals for me, and to help many different people around me.

This should be something you can do! Select the store you don't want to see, then hit exclude. You can do this for multiple stores. Save your view, then those stores you selected should be excluded from your topic list. You can do the opposite if you want to see a select set of merchants.

JiggleTheHandle said:   How do I find the store select page?

Thanks.
MVP9596 said:   

On the left side of the page (if you don't see the filters, click on Show Filters). Look down to where it says "By Stores" and click Edit. When you click on one of the stores a box will pop up asking whether you would like to Include or Exclude that store. After you are done creating your filters, choose Save This View.

gizmo said:   
JiggleTheHandle said:   How do I find the store select page?

Thanks.
MVP9596 said:   

On the left side of the page (if you don't see the filters, click on Show Filters). Look down to where it says "By Stores" and click Edit. When you click on one of the stores a box will pop up asking whether you would like to Include or Exclude that store. After you are done creating your filters, choose Save This View.

What gizmo said. You can also type in the name of the store, and we'll try to auto complete it with existing stores in our database.

two cents: dislike it. Reason why I use fatwallet over slickdeals is b/c filtering views is unnecessarily cumbersome; old school fatwallet much simpler to segment sections I want to see. New fatwallet exactly the same as slickdeals now.

How do I unpin this thread? I try and it keeps getting re-pinned

angle247 said:   two cents: dislike it. Reason why I use fatwallet over slickdeals is b/c filtering views is unnecessarily cumbersome; old school fatwallet much simpler to segment sections I want to see. New fatwallet exactly the same as slickdeals now.

+1

I used to prefer FW over slickdeals as well...this change has me going back there more now.

Give me back the classic view!! this over complicates things where no complexity was ever needed. What was so complicated about having a list of categories and just clicking on the ones you wanted?!! Now I have to do all sorts of clicks just to get to where I want.....thanks FW!!

MVP9596 said:   
Do you only want to see your favorite categories? Is there a category you don't wish to ever see? You can now include and exclude those categories from your view! Additionally, you can save your custom view so you're only a click away! Do you want to get alerts when something is posted to your saved view? You can do so by subscribing to it! If you want, you can even make your saved view be your default view of the forum.

While this is certainly a useful feature, what prompted you to remove the single click filtering (which was orders of magnitude more useful)? Did you perform any analysis of click patterns or at least use questionnaires? There is a reason why sites don't provide include/exclude filtering like this. The majority of users are probably just never going to use it.

Can someone PLEASE answer as to how to see a specific category? Again, it used to be I could click the links on the left bar and go to a specific category or sub-category, now it just has this exclude/include stuff an I can not for the life of me figure out where to click on a category to just go directly to that category.

I am with others, I liked FW better than the mess that is SD but removing something in favor of something else rather than just adding that other feature just plain sucks. Could have left everything the same and added the include/exclude on top and people could have just ignored it if they didn't want it rather than force it on everyone in place of what you had.

I did notice the first post states it is only available in the modern theme. Maybe I will just switch themes and see if it goes back to the old left column.

KniRider: switching themes doesn't help, I already tried it. As to how to see a particular category now, I don't know either. I started to try but was worried about screwing up my view permanently.

I really do wish the powers that be here would find a way to give us back the old system, or at least a way to opt into it somehow. The old setup was why I preferred FW over SD, now they are essentially the same.

Really not liking this new setup, actually it sucks. More work and I can't just see one catergory at at a time anymore.

gizmo said:   

Hi,

Can you provide a link for the page?

What I see http://www.fatwallet.com/ scanning down the left side from top to bottom is...

The FW logo
Cash Backpartners menu link (menu opens but here is no filter option)
Images of featured Hot Deals
About Us
RSS Feed
While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
1999-2013

Hard to find categories.

Skipping 46 Messages...
I am really befuddled by web designers these days. Not just here at FW, but in general. There is this push to update, modernize, change, and most of all gadgetize! I'm on the bandwagon for change, but not at the cost of function. Seems like everything has to be overly complicated now. Where there used to be one click, now there is two or three. Where you could have the whole page fit on your monitor, now there are over-sized graphics that make you scroll needlessly to get what you need. Where there used to be a harmonious blend of function and design, now there is a cluttered page of useless 'gadget' functions. What are these web designers thinking? Where are they being trained? Do they even have a design background or are they just coders? Coming from a design background myself, I am appalled by the lack of skill and artistry that is being displayed by this rush to make everything look 'flat' & 'modern'. This is a surprising statement for me since my own personal design style is clean & modern, but any monkey can redesign stuff to look homogenized, flat, and simple. The real skill is to accomplish this without delivering a death blow to function and the all important user experience. Besides, if something is already working well, why completely change it....just tweak it and add to it.

The classic example of this phenomenon is the Windows 8 start menu, or as they call it now the "charms" menu. WTF?!! Where you had a time proven method of a simple button at the bottom left of the screen to access computer functions, you now have this wonderful invisible corner where a user has to hover the mouse and wait a split second for a menu to pop-up. Plus, if you mistakenly get your mouse to close that side of the monitor the menu keeps popping-up. Hmmm....is that progress? Sure you have simplified the desktop by eliminating one button. Wow, one whole button off the desktop in return for a complete train wreck. Nice going Microsoft designers, you really scored big on that one.

In a sense, these new FW custom views are like the Windows start button. You guys took a functioning, real simple way to brows the forums and really made a mess of it. As I portrayed in my Photoshop mock-up a few posts back, all you guys had to do is include the old "categories" menu as one of the line items on the left side. Throw in a few minimize/maximize buttons and there you have it. The people who want categories are happy, and the people who like the custom views are happy. For the life of me, I do not understand why a solution that simple escaped the web designers of FW! Maybe there is a coding issue I am not aware of, I don't know, I'm just a simple architect trying to muddle through these horrible web redesigns. If I designed houses like these folks design web sites, I'd be bankrupt.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014