• Go to page :
  • 12 3
  • Text Only
Connman said:   Add Favorite Topics as a tab in Forum Quick Links Menu under My Account > Appearance and it'll always be a quick click away!
  Great!  Thanks, didn't know about that, now to explore all the other menu options.

MVP9596 said:   
WalterGuy said:   It's looking more and more like the reduced feature set is now a permanent thing. Too bad. The old system was a major advantage over SD. Now we have a choice between SD and SD Lite.
  Look for a new way to category browse soon while still allowing custom views!

When?

I don't have a specific time table, but an update is in the works

How do I get rid of these custom views?

Krazen1211 said:   How do I get rid of these custom views?

Really can't, from what I have seen.  You can try "workarounds", but nowhere near as nice and easy as it was before the "upgrades".
I have actually started going to SD more and more, and coming here slightly less, though this was my favorite, and only, spot before the "upgrades". 

I am really befuddled by web designers these days.  Not just here at FW, but in general.  There is this push to update, modernize, change, and most of all gadgetize!  I'm on the bandwagon for change, but not at the cost of function.  Seems like everything has to be overly complicated now.  Where there used to be one click, now there is two or three.  Where you could have the whole page fit on your monitor, now there are over-sized graphics that make you scroll needlessly to get what you need.  Where there used to be a harmonious blend of function and design, now there is a cluttered page of useless 'gadget' functions.  What are these web designers thinking?  Where are they being trained?  Do they even have a design background or are they just coders?  Coming from a design background myself, I am appalled by the lack of skill and artistry that is being displayed by this rush to make everything look 'flat' & 'modern'.  This is a surprising statement for me since my own personal design style is clean & modern, but any monkey can redesign stuff to look homogenized, flat, and simple.  The real skill is to accomplish this without delivering a death blow to function and the all important user experience.  Besides, if something is already working well, why completely change it....just tweak it and add to it.

The classic example of this phenomenon is the Windows 8 start menu, or as they call it now the "charms" menu.  WTF?!!  Where you had a time proven method of a simple button at the bottom left of the screen to access computer functions, you now have this wonderful invisible corner where a user has to hover the mouse and wait a split second for a menu to pop-up.  Plus, if you mistakenly get your mouse to close that side of the monitor the menu keeps popping-up.  Hmmm....is that progress?  Sure you have simplified the desktop by eliminating one button.  Wow, one whole button off the desktop in return for a complete train wreck.  Nice going Microsoft designers, you really scored big on that one.

In a sense, these new FW custom views are like the Windows start button.  You guys took a functioning, real simple way to brows the forums and really made a mess of it.  As I portrayed in my Photoshop mock-up a few posts back, all you guys had to do is include the old "categories" menu as one of the line items on the left side.  Throw in a few minimize/maximize buttons and there you have it.  The people who want categories are happy, and the people who like the custom views are happy.  For the life of me, I do not understand why a solution that simple escaped the web designers of FW!  Maybe there is a coding issue I am not aware of, I don't know, I'm just a simple architect trying to muddle through these horrible web redesigns.  If I designed houses like these folks design web sites, I'd be bankrupt.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014