Suggestion Box

Archived From: FatWallet
  • 14 5 67819
  • Page
  • Text Only
PreciousMomentsLover said: zyg0te said: I think under a username, next to the member status, there should be a location text there too.

It would make it a lot easier for ymmv deals when people said they scored.

I don't agree--not everyone wants to reveal their location to complete strangers.

It could be an optional feature like 90% of other forums out there. They ask for your real location, then in a separate "profile editor" thing they can put displayed location. You can leave the field null if you'd like.

zyg0te said: PreciousMomentsLover said: zyg0te said: I think under a username, next to the member status, there should be a location text there too.

I don't agree--not everyone wants to reveal their location to complete strangers.

It could be an optional feature like 90% of other forums out there. They ask for your real location, then in a separate "profile editor" thing they can put displayed location. You can leave the field null if you'd like.

As long as it's optional--but I still don't think it'd be wise to reveal that info to everybody but that's just IMHO.

zyg0te said: I think under a username, next to the member status, there should be a location text there too.

I don't understand that request. People that don't mind revealing their location have already done that by making their profiles accessible. If someone doesn't want his location to be known, what are the chances that he's going to provide his/her real location near the username?

I didn't have time to read through all the pages of the post here while i'm supposed to be working , so I hope it's not already mentioned.
I really like the 'topic alerts' function, it is great for hot deals.
I was thinking how swell it would be to add additional criteria to the topic alerts.
For example, the ability to tag 'any post that exceeds 5 positive votes within 10 minutes of being posted in the hot deals forum' as a topic alert, that would be cool.

or perhaps 'if this particular post gets more than 15 positive votes mark it as a topic alert once, then remove it from my topic alerts list'.

Selecting a keyword as a topic alert is cool, but, usually we dont know what's going to be hot next!

zyg0te said: I think under a username, next to the member status, there should be a location text there too. It would make it a lot easier for ymmv deals when people said they scored.

It makes sense, but I don't see why people cannot just write where they scored at. Some people may give more details in the thread than their profile.

I think you should put in an option so that I can have an ignore list of members. Anytime I see a post by them, reply with them quoted, or post containing their name, it is filtered out, shredded, and lit on fire. Actually, if you can simply supply a MyAmex block v 2.0, that would be great for about half of FW.

Ability to move to next topic in the forum without clicking back button?

zyg0te said: albob said: the results should be in 'Last Post' order, not the relatively meaningless 'Score' order.
after you search you can click "last post" to order it according to last post...

Yes, but we shouldn't need to. The default should be the option that people prefer the majority of the time, which is "Last Post."

scripta said: dumpsterDiva said: ...1. Create a list of links to threads like "Subscribe" does but be able to choose per individual topic whether or not to receive emails. I know I could just bookmark the threads and that works OK but I like the format of the Subscription List and it would be great to be able to separate out the email feature...
This is exactly what I was just thinking (good thing I searched first) -- there should be a separate list of threads that one could just bookmark/add to favorites. That way I wouldn't have to 1) carry my bookmarks file with me, 2) go through my mailbox deleting subscribtion updates for threads I'm not currently interested in. This isn't a novelty, by the way. It would apply to something like the official (store name) threads with coupons. If I'm not shopping there right now, I'm not interested in what's happening, but when I need it, I shouldn't have to search for it.

Any more thoughts on this? I too think it makes a lot of sense to be able to subscribe to a thread but not also receive email alerts for it. There are certain threads I'd simply like always listed in "Today" for reference.

Would it be possible to number each post within a thread?

(People could then refer to post number 'XXX', rather than saying 'on page two of this thread').

beatnik28 said: Would it be possible to number each post within a thread?

(People could then refer to post number 'XXX', rather than saying 'on page two of this thread').

I like that, particularly since one person's "page two" is not necessarily the next person's.

beatnik28 said: Would it be possible to number each post within a thread?
^Green. Anchors would be nice, so we could link to a post.

I have a suggestion, don't know if it has been asked before but...

I would like a search similar to AVSFORUM.com.

You do not have to login to do the search itself. So go to avsforum.com, click on 'search' (on the right hand side of the page). A box will appear where you can type in your search term. I just typed 'fatwallet' and clicked 'go'. A list of threads will appear with direct links to where the term appears in each thread also available.

It brings up both the thread itself, as well as the option to click on a link that will take you to where the term appears in the thread.

I think this would be more useful when searching an author's messages. If I search for squid3's messages, it shows all of the threads where I have posted, which is all well and great, but some threads become so large that it is hard to find the exact messages posted.

If there is someway to do this and I just never discovered it, I apologize. This is actually something I thought would be useful a while ago, and only recently did I see this feature implemented on AVSFORUM.com

Let me know if this doesn't make sense or is a stupid idea or if it was already covered or just tell me to shut up

Your link didn't work. I get "Sorry -- No Matches.." It's a great idea though. I would like it added as well.

killme2 said: Your link didn't work. I get "Sorry -- No Matches.." It's a great idea though. I would like it added as well.

The searches must timeout after a certain period of time.

You do not have to login to do the search itself. So go to avsforum.com, click on 'search' (on the right hand side of the page). A box will appear where you can type in your search term. I just typed 'fatwallet' and clicked 'go'. A list of threads will appear with direct links to where the term appears in each thread also available.

Sorry about the link, it was working yesterday.

I have a suggestion. How about being able to have the 1K, 2K, 3K... with any title besides just Senior Member? For example being able to have Shopaholic Member with the 1K showing also

Leaves82 said: I have a suggestion. How about being able to have the 1K, 2K, 3K... with any title besides just Senior Member? For example being able to have Shopaholic Member with the 1K showing also

I second that.

squid3 said: ...So go to avsforum.com, click on 'search'...

AVS Forum uses vBulletin for the forums, which is one of the best. I think FatWallet uses custom software so it may be one of those features that are not possible.

Anybody knows why my Outpost firewall reported that fatwallet was doing port scan on my system?

want to add something to the new topic page?

How about automagically searching for threads in the forum using the new "message title" and displaying them on the page? It might take a bit to implement, but it would be very helpful and give people no reason not to search.

It'd be cool if there was a way to look up the status of members - as in, whether they're active, inactive, banned, etc.

i think fw shouldn't allowed OP's of a thread to vote on posts of that same thread. i see so many threads where the OP puts green for a simple thanks and red for anything negative that is said even though the negative comment may be useful. bugs the crap out of me!

honeybee829 said: i think fw shouldn't allowed OP's of a thread to vote on posts of that same thread. i see so many threads where the OP puts green for a simple thanks and red for anything negative that is said even though the negative comment may be useful. bugs the crap out of me!

IMO, that's abusing the voting system big time.

MechanicalMan said: beatnik28 said: Would it be possible to number each post within a thread?
^Green. Anchors would be nice, so we could link to a post.

That's a great suggestion--I hate having to link to a thread and not just a post. That would really help in the search functions, too.

a womens forum.

i kinda think that fattwallet's OT should have some sort o guidlines. there are so many places with chat rooms, so many blogs..etc. There have been things I wanted to start threads about and don't neccessarily fit in an existing forum, but i see it as a waste to put in OT. Also for all the people that don't like teenagers coming on and messing around I think OT is just inviting them. If fatwallet stuck to aspects of what it is for only that type of people would come. OT should be changed to "doesn't fit in any other forum". It kinda messes up statistics for fatwallet to. People who use OT almost as a chat room gain # of post so fast and to so many. Id rather see the people who have 1k 2k 3k..and think "wow this person is very familiar with all this stuff. I bet they have seen alot of deals in their fatwallet days, if i have question they'd be a good person to ask." It affects alot of other overall Fatwallet statistics to.

eyeluvtrget said: a womens forum.They already tried that, but Grocery Coupons didn't work out.

Seriously though, I don't see the need for a women's forum on a forum about deals. There are plenty of other women's forums out there.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=women%27s+forums

jayK said: eyeluvtrget said: a womens forum.They already tried that, but Grocery Coupons didn't work out.

Seriously though, I don't see the need for a women's forum on a forum about deals. There are plenty of other women's forums out there.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=women%27s+forums

I agree our site is not particularly well-suited for women, and women have a huge influence on how money is spent in this country. Though a women's forum may not become reality, we are considering how to make our forums/community/site more friendly for more women without losing that... uhm... that essence currently enjoyed by the testosterone-driven group in here now.

... but, yeah, grocery coupons was a friggin nightmare

Is it possible for the forum software to automatically balance quote tags? I often see people mistakenly delete a closing quote tag in their reply, which can make threads hard to read.

i've been away from FW for a while, so don't know if this has been requested or implemented...

but it'd be really nice to be able to search for threads that I myself (i.e. the user who's performing the search) have rated positively.

it should serve 2 purposes.

1) users can keep track of the threads that they're interested in and are positive contributions to the forum, without having to post random comments like "thanks op!" or "I agree" so that they can they can search by the authors messages function

2) encourages people to provide feedback, which in turn adds value to the rating system

thanks!

i would like to suggest "private messages" and "forum notifier" to be separate. what I would like to suggest is a creation of a new link under the forums tab specifically for forum notifier ("FN"). currently there is "Hot Deals" "Free Stuff" "Finance" "Deal Discussion" "Topic Alerts" "PM". can we moce all ForumNotifiers into a separate heading?

that way, a FW user can delineate a PM from another member or if someone is just reponding to a subcribed post. this will allow FW users to more quickly respond to PMs. or a FW user will know all PM notices will be from another member or a Mod.

the way it is now... forum notifier and PMs are all mixed in the same bag and sometimes you think a member is trying to contact you when you see the red light up.

but it's just the forum notifier.

how hard would it be to make this possible?

slamjoe said: ithe way it is now... forum notifier and PMs are all mixed in the same bag and sometimes you think a member is trying to contact you when you see the red light up.I like that idea...and the implementation could be as simple as having the notification for a new forum notifier PM appear in a different color.

For example, if you have 2 new actual PMs and 1 new forum notification, the top bar could look like:

Private Message (2)(1)

With the 2 in red, and the 1 in a lighter tone (dark gray maybe). If you have only notifications, you would only see the dark gray number.

It would be nice to have a chatroom again.

Most of OT sillyness would most likely be done in chat. When the chatroom was popular OT would slow down. It really wouldn't need moderation b/c of the ignore feature.

Yes, please bring back the chatroom. There's quite a few people who want it back, too.

Or fatwallet could stick to saving people money and the little group that comes to the FW site to play around could go to one of the internets many chat centers. AOL, Yahoo, etc. That is what they are made for. This could perhaps limit much of the unadult like behavior that seems to be going on

eyeluvtrget said: Or fatwallet could stick to saving people money and the little group that comes to the FW site to play around could go to one of the internets many chat centers. AOL, Yahoo, etc. That is what they are made for. This could perhaps limit much of the unadult like behavior that seems to be going onOr maybe we could create a separate forum for all this "unadult like behavior". How about we call it "Off Topic"? Let me know what you think.

I agree, the only thing is I think there are some threads that dont quite fit one of the forums though are relivement to FW purpose and there needs to be a forum or them. most sites call it offtopic.

eyeluvtrget said: I agree, the only thing is I think there are some threads that dont quite fit one of the forums though are relivement to FW purpose and there needs to be a forum or them. most sites call it offtopic.FW also calls it "Off Topic".

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/categories.php?catid=55

For future reference, usually indicates sarcasm.

Don't mean to break the current discussion, but . . . .

Just thought of this while perusing the Online Auctions forum, and reading "what does SNAD mean?" for the umpteenth time. We have auto-links to various merchants w/FW referrals whenever their name is mentioned. Can we have auto-links to definitions of common acronyms whenever they are mentioned, so inquiring minds can just click the link to find out what NPB means? What do you all think?

^I think auto-links are annoying.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014