Suggestion Box

Archived From: FatWallet
  • 12 3 4519
  • Page
  • Text Only
MechanicalMan said: billrubin said: Use Iespell (with apologies for the non-Windows folks out there).
For those who require a cross-platform browser (or who simply prefer a browser that isn't a total POS), there is this.
That's what I used to use with FireFox, but now it just won't work.

I see the check spelling option in the context menue, but it's not selectable.

Have you tried reinstalling Spellbound? If you can't figure out what is wrong, you can probably get help at Mozillazine.

It is nice that we get a moderator alert when they delete one of our postings. The alerts even sometimes have a general description of why they deleted the posting.

The only problem is the alerts do not refer to what we actually said, so we can learn from our mistakes. Perhaps they dont want us to repeat the post. The alerts do not even tell us the topic that it was removed from.

Suggestion: If a post gets deleted, the poster should be informed what topic it was deleted from, or the alert is almost pointless.

[Alert Moderators]

MechanicalMan said: Have you tried reinstalling Spellbound? If you can't figure out what is wrong, you can probably get help at Mozillazine.Thanks. I guess that I forgot to uninstall the previous one before reinstalling the new one.

I have another suggestion, (yes another), can we also opt in for getting a subscription-like email sent when someone not only posts in a topic, but quotes one of our messages? This would be helpful in those really long threads, when you don't know if someone responded to you without looking through the whole thread.

Thanks.

Suggestion: the figure Replies reflects actual posts in the thread. not posts + posts that gor deleted.
ex: this thread

there are 628 replies according to the main page but actually there are 601 replies.

Suggestion: Something needs to be done about the rating system used on Fatwallet. I know that it is 'weighted' based on mysterious factors, but it's unfair for the people looking for bargains. My latest post is a prime example. It's got a negative rating, even though more people voted it positive. It is the cheapest price, comes from a reputable company, free shipping, and no sales tax in NY and TX...and it's got a negative rating??!! Now others who filter posts to exclude negative ratings will miss this deal. I think, at least, that you should modify the system so that if someone wants to leave a negative vote for a post, they should be forced to also give a reason why. This would allow others to see whether the person/persons who voted negative were serious, or just idiots. This would also ensure that people reading the threads might uncover something negative that would affect them taking advantage of the deal. Allowing people to vote negative without any explanation might keep this info from the people that may find it useful. It's now gotten to the point where the rating system is becoming almost meaningless. I have found that older members of Fatwallet can be just as stupid as newbies in some cases. Intelligence does not necessarily advance with age. Thanks.

xpfshost

Contribution to the FW community deleted.

I'd like to see a seperate forum for Hot Deals that have mail-in rebates, required activation (for phones, etc.), and the like. I hate seeing a title that tells about a great deal, then find out that there's a bunch of MIRs involved.

(Disclaimer: I realize that I'm new here and there may be less-than-obvious reasons for things being the way they are. Keep your flames down to a low simmer. It's just a suggestion, K?)

RightHere said: "...suggested creating voting options that also include a reason. +1 great deal, -1 misleading title, -1 bad info in post, etc. I think that is a much better solution than requiring people to post in the thread."

I agree. There needs to be more responsibility in a vote rather than just someone saying "it sucks". That could mean anything. It could mean nothing. Like I said, some older members can be bigger idiots than a newbie. Sometimes they just don't like the product. Sometimes they don't like the store. Neither of those opinions makes it a bad deal, though, which is what the rating is SUPPOSED to be for. I hope that I haven't missed any really good deals just because someone decided to vote negative for no reason and I skipped over it. The problem is when someone who is heavily 'weighted' votes a negative while several other people who carry less weight voted positive...resulting in a negative rating to what would normally be a good deal for lots of people.

xpfshost

The beast seems to have been tamed for now. But every so often another "new member" crops up to post his/her one and only post in an Iraqi dinar discussion. Most of the time these "1 post wonders" seem to be shills for purchasing dinar. I don't know what kind of behind the scenes PM activity those members generated. But the bulk of those kinds of posts just seemed to me to constitute free advertising for scamsters.

Is there anything in place (automated or policy wise) to moderate those kinds of posts/threads going forward?

1. Has FW done any analysis on the voting tendencies of "2" level members? Aside from my opinion that the methodology used to use voting power, it seems to me that "2" level members have a greater tendency to:
- Vote a thread negative
- Not explain why they voted it negative.
Is that just my perception or is there truth to that?

2. Which leads me to my 2nd question. The FAQ encourages members to identify members who they feel are negging threads excessively or so as to hide deals. Other than identifying a single episode as it happens, what tools are available to the average member for use in looking a another member's past voting history?

3. Every so often a thread in FW finance gets negged by a member who never (or rarely) posts in Finance. Probably just my misperception, but it often seems those mystery members also have a "2" level voting power. To the extent that differing voting levels is even a good thing, it does not seem effective to give a member higher voting status in all forums because of their activity in a single forum. Assuming, of course, that that kind of activity is even an ingredient in the voting power "secret sauce."

When you click on buttons like "http", some standard key combinations don't work correctly. Control+Backspace should delete whole words but instead makes some weird characters appear.

xpfshost said: The problem is when someone who is heavily 'weighted' votes a negative while several other people who carry less weight voted positive...resulting in a negative rating to what would normally be a good deal for lots of people.

Whatever the 'secret sauce' is for assigning "2" level voting, it does seem to have been granted to more than its share of flaming you-know-whats.

And the process for requesting a review of another member's voting tendencies is unclear.

Contribution to the FW community deleted.

more thread on first page.because sometimes good deals comes ang goes without noticing.

VRod said: more thread on first page.because sometimes good deals comes ang goes without noticing.

You can take it up to 100 topics/messages per page. Go into "customize" on the "forum tools" bar.

Why dont you put a link to the forum that you are currently in. Lets say you are in OT and are 5 pages into this ausome thread that suddently becomes unausome... what are you going to do click black a billion times...click another forum and use the drop down menu again...I dont think so...Click the link to that forum yeah thats it...buts it not there...add it NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

-thanks

itismejs said: Why dont you put a link to the forum that you are currently in. Lets say you are in OT and are 5 pages into this ausome thread that suddently becomes unausome... what are you going to do click black a billion times...click another forum and use the drop down menu again...I dont think so...Click the link to that forum yeah thats it...buts it not there...add it NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

-thanks
I agree with your suggestion, but not how you ask. For a "Giving Member" you sure demand a lot.
Edit: I think that the best implimintation for this would be to make the text that says the category a link. In this thread, it would be to the top left that says "FatWallet" in big black print.

MarsdenFubar said: You can take it up to 100 topics/messages per page. Go into "customize" on the "forum tools" bar.Now that's what I call a hard core deal surfer.

There should be a way to cancel your "Dead" vote, just as there is to cancel a postive or negative rating. a lot of deals seem to be dead and people start flagging it, then realize it's not dead and there's no way of undoing your vote.

I second the Dead vote thingy above.

kexrex said: There should be a way to cancel your "Dead" vote, just as there is to cancel a postive or negative rating. a lot of deals seem to be dead and people start flagging it, then realize it's not dead and there's no way of undoing your vote.

All you have to do is alert a mod, and they will remove the dead designation.

itismejs said: Why dont you put a link to the forum that you are currently in. Lets say you are in OT and are 5 pages into this ausome thread that suddently becomes unausome... what are you going to do click black a billion times...click another forum and use the drop down menu again...I dont think so...Click the link to that forum yeah thats it...buts it not there...add it NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

-thanks

[ FORUMS : TOPICS : REFRESH

Click on that ^ (TOPICS) in the black bar up top and it will take you back to the forum.

MVP9596 said: itismejs said: Why dont you put a link to the forum that you are currently in. Lets say you are in OT and are 5 pages into this ausome thread that suddently becomes unausome... what are you going to do click black a billion times...click another forum and use the drop down menu again...I dont think so...Click the link to that forum yeah thats it...buts it not there...add it NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

-thanks

[ FORUMS : TOPICS : REFRESH

Click on that ^ (TOPICS) in the black bar up top and it will take you back to the forum.

wow, never noticed that over there before. even after reading this i still had hard time finding it. added hint: it's on the right side of the black bar (bonus hint: it's on the bottom too!)

What a bout a tab next to the Private Messages for "flagged topics." Say your looking at a post and are not real sure about it. You flag the topic and i'll be always there for you to look at in the future.

or what about cool avatars for people who share suggestions

Dont not load properly.

You should add a way for users to purge all the info they add to Quick Summary. Why you ask... You cant login using the Quick Summary box. ROFL

RightHere said: unknownshopper said: And the process for requesting a review of another member's voting tendencies is unclear.Alert a mod. Provide some links. Seems pretty simple.

Yeah. That's what I've been doing for a few weeks now. Based on the lack of action, can only assume FW approves of their "2" poster child.

The finance forum is becoming or has become a help forum. I think you guys should create a help forum so that people have a please to ask for help and do not flood the finance forum with questions about their credit, morgages, etc.

Thanks.

bluegenie said: It would be nice if the developers got rid of the separate http and https buttons and just have one button.

Also, it would be nice if the link appeared where the cursor was instead of at the very end of the messages; cutting and pasting every time you link is annoying.

I second that thought, why not do it?

I would like to suggest adding "sticky's" for each user that appear below the forum sticky's. There are many times when I want to keep an eye on a thread, but don't necessarily want to setup an e-mail notification. If I could tag the threads that I'm monitoring, and have those appear at the top of the forum (under the forum sticky's), it would make it much easier to track threads of interest. It would also cut down on needless searching (which equates to extra, unnecessary bandwidth use for FW).

Thoughts?

I guess since this thread is a sticky already, I won't subscribe to it to monitor any replies

I would like to be able to choose which groups have clickable links under the forum tab while you are in a group. The current list is:

Hot Deals
Free Stuff
Finance
Deal Discussion
Topic Alerts
Private Messages

There is room for more on my screen and I would like to be able to choose which additional ones show.

69ragtop said: I would like to be able to choose which groups have clickable links under the forum tab while you are in a group. The current list is:

Hot Deals
Free Stuff
Finance
Deal Discussion
Topic Alerts
Private Messages

There is room for more on my screen and I would like to be able to choose which additional ones show.

I would really like to see this too if possible

VTrain said: kexrex said: There should be a way to cancel your "Dead" vote, just as there is to cancel a postive or negative rating. a lot of deals seem to be dead and people start flagging it, then realize it's not dead and there's no way of undoing your vote.

All you have to do is alert a mod, and they will remove the dead designation.

I don't like to bug the mods over something so small. But I guess it's a thought.

I guess I should post here.. This is regaring the ability to rate the thread.

People post negative ratings without even telling why it is so. So I guess people has to post some reply to rate it. If they dont post, they cant rate..

I'd like to throw in a request that will allow us to click on the column headings in a search to search by that column (ascending/decending). I don't know how many times I've given up on a search since I couldn't order it by date at the least.

I think the Product Review forum should be scrapped...it gets virtually no traffic (~2-3 posts per day), I don't think it would add too much clutter moving those posts to Deal Discussion.

What's it gonna take to enable post rating in the Travel Forum?

Text

jayK said: I think the Product Review forum should be scrapped...it gets virtually no traffic (~2-3 posts per day), I don't think it would add too much clutter moving those posts to Deal Discussion.

that's half of what is in that forum anyway

Here's another request: when you click on the subscribed thread link in the inbox it takes you to the beginning of the thread instead of the end (and if there are pages it's a real pain). Could you make it so the link takes you to the last page of the thread if there is more than one?

Thank you, Mods!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014