More/Different Forums?

Archived From: FatWallet
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
rated:
An idea with longtime interest is to change our forums mix.

• Bring back grocery coupons?
• Create Find Me a Deal forum?
• Split Deal Discussion?
• Coupons, not just One Time Use (OTU)?
• For Sale / For Trade?
• …and more!

Topic categorization could be used to create custom views. It’s just a thought, for example a “grocery” view could be set now… or even a “grocery coupons” view. Or we can ID the most popular views, name them, and include in forums list?

What do YOU think? Vote this topic and comment!

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Can you clarify that? What do you mean "limited moderation abilities for posts by newbies"? You mean limited posting a... (more)

VBMcGB (Apr. 24, 2008 @ 9:52a) |

I'm referring to limited moderation abilities given to mentors, so they could modify threads created by new users.

jayK (Apr. 24, 2008 @ 10:36a) |

I like it.

VBMcGB (Apr. 24, 2008 @ 12:49p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I'm familiar with all of these except Split Deal Discussion. How would we be splitting deal discussion? I think it makes a bit of sense already - many forum-goers don't hold DD in the same high regard as HD, and tend to complain when things are moved between the forums, but I was just curious how it would work hypothetically.

I see a serious need for a separate Find Me a Deal Forum.

I am not sure how people can get mad about threads being moved from HD to DD, that rarely happens, it is just one big pile of random deal requesting now. I think more stuff is moved to the Expired Deals Forum, which would work as a sub forum of DD.

I could care less about grocery coupons, but if it was kept civil and legal - then bring it back.

For Sale or Trade was nothing but a cry to the mod forum, keep that in mind. This site is about FW making money, not allowing people free ad postings. That is what Craig's List and eBay are for, among Yahoo and others.

Where does it stop; you could have a Car / Car repair Forum too, but how does it fit into the FW business model? Stick to the core values and expand on that. **** Upadte - I am rethinking this now that it seems clear FW is trying to take things in a more diverse direction.

Thanks for the feedback! Keep it coming folks

TM1 said:

I could care less about grocery coupons, but if it was kept civil and legal - then bring it back.

Call me a dingbat floozy, but since so many ask about this on a regular basis and finding deals during these lean times is vital, I think the grocery coupon forum should return--IF you can stay on top of the Queen B's this time (good luck w/that one!).

TM1 said:
For Sale or Trade was nothing but a cry to the mod forum, keep that in mind. This site is about FW making money, not allowing people free ad postings. That is what Craig's List and eBay are for, among Yahoo and others.

Yeah, CL has that need filled pretty well. Mods have to listen to enough crying babies as it is.

footn200 said:
• Bring back grocery coupons?
• Create Find Me a Deal forum?
• Split Deal Discussion?
• Coupons, not just One Time Use (OTU)?

It's silly not to have grocery coupons. I don't fully understand why we lost it in the first place. FS/FT took a lot of mod time, but I don't see grocery coupons needing that.

Find me a deal might be useful, but ideally it would be implemented in a way that informed the next person searching for the same item. So, when you post you want a deal on "Product X" you see the solution when TM1 asked for Product X last week.

I'm interested in the split deal discussion option. How do you intend to split it?

OTU coupons is, for the most part, an area to beg which is useless to the general population. I don't want a coupons forum because you'll end up "hiding" coupons that are posted in HD simply because they are not tied to a deal.

StingRay, while OTU coupons are indeed a beg, remember, those begs turn into profit for FW because 95% of what is being asked for is a store that serves up FatCash. The member gets a coupon and saves money, they score some FatCash, and FW gets their piece. I see it as a useful forum that mostly polices itself. If they banned the words sell, trade, etc., for the forum, it would not even need any mod intervention. That is a good return on the investment, IMO. I never beg, but I post coupons or PM them to others almost daily. As members, we can give back and help each other too.

IAmStingRay said: It's silly not to have grocery coupons. I don't fully understand why we lost it in the first place.I thought there already was a place to post grocery coupons?

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/food-grocery

Regarding splitting Deal Discussion, I've spent some time at SD and I think having a catch-all integrated DD forum is much better for the community than fracturing it into separate forums. Expanding categorization to DD should help if you only want to see certain types of posts, and it won't force people to go to different forums.

jayK said: IAmStingRay said: It's silly not to have grocery coupons. I don't fully understand why we lost it in the first place.I thought there already was a place to post grocery coupons?

Regarding splitting Deal Discussion, I've spent some time at SD and I think having a catch-all integrated DD forum is much better for the community than fracturing it into separate forums. Expanding categorization to DD should help if you only want to see certain types of posts, and it won't force people to go to different forums.

This was what I was thinking . If you just click on "Deal Discussions" forum you would see ALL topics. Then you have one level under that "Find me a deal", "Discussion", and maybe rebate tracking, and expired. The ability to see ALL topics is still there, but it also allows you filter out "find me a deal" topics if you wish.

Regarding the GC forum, the category in HD does allow you to see grocery deals. What GC would be is more about discussion. I think a "Grocery" forum would break down into a one level tree with "Grocery deals" (this would reference the HD grocery category), Grocery Discussion, Grocery Trading, Grocery Coupons..... Thoughts?

jayK said: IAmStingRay said: It's silly not to have grocery coupons. I don't fully understand why we lost it in the first place.I thought there already was a place to post grocery coupons?

FYI, the link you posted ONLY works under Modern view!

ribex said: jayK said: IAmStingRay said: It's silly not to have grocery coupons. I don't fully understand why we lost it in the first place.I thought there already was a place to post grocery coupons?

The link should work for both modern and classic view.
If it doesn't work in classic for you, please let us know and we'll help troubleshoot it

mudley said: ribex said: jayK said: IAmStingRay said: It's silly not to have grocery coupons. I don't fully understand why we lost it in the first place.I thought there already was a place to post grocery coupons?

The link should work for both modern and classic view.
If it doesn't work in classic for you, please let us know and we'll help troubleshoot it

What I think he was trying to say is that the link with the breakdown of food-grocery categories in hot deals is only shown when you are in the modern view.

Madmurphy said: What I think he was trying to say is that the link with the breakdown of food-grocery categories in hot deals is only shown when you are in the modern view.

^^^ Exactly! ^^^^

Wow, cheese makes people really smart!

I'm ok with the current makeup.

Additional forum would receive so little traffic to defeat the purpose of it. DD is already a slow forum and many posted question/discussion receives little attention as is.

FS/FT would causing a lot of issues. People would come back and complains about a certain user.

If FW really want to go that route, go all the way. Use the existing name to spin off a new site to compete against fleabay.

Before you claim that can replace the grocery coupon forum, try this little experiment: post a thread that says there is a 50 cent coupon for salad dressing in Sunday's paper. Your thread will be almost as red as the BOOOOOST thread within a few minutes because only a very small portion of HD is interested.

While I agree a subcategory could replace grocery coupons in the future, until people are comfortable filtering out deals they don't like, creating subforms in this way will not work.

IAmStingRay said: While I agree a subcategory could replace grocery coupons in the future, until people are comfortable filtering out deals they don't like, creating subforms in this way will not work.That's a good point. If categorization was implemented well and was getting widespread use, relying on a grocery category would be acceptable, but since that is not the case a separate forum is probably the way to go.

Other "possible" forum categories could be Merchant/store problems, International stuff - deals/coupons? , and Sunday Ads / Weekly Ads. Also, why not just create a separate Black Friday Forum and leave it up 365? Again, just brainstorming. Please leave the private sex forum open.

Adult forum.

Comments about the for sale / for trade:

3 strikes and you're out. First post, 1 strike you're out.

Lay the rules out up front. No support from FW (I paid him, he never sent, FW is responsible).

IAmStingRay said: ...post a thread that says there is a 50 cent coupon for salad dressing in Sunday's paper. Your thread will be almost as red as the BOOOOOST thread within a few minutes because only a very small portion of HD is interested...

This is where everyone needs to learn that if a deal simply isn't for them, they should click the 'ignore' and then they no longer see the deal, but it doesn't affect the rating for other users who may find the deal of some use.

jely said: This is where everyone needs to learn that if a deal simply isn't for them, they should click the 'ignore' and then they no longer see the deal, but it doesn't affect the rating for other users who may find the deal of some use.
... and everyone in OT can also learn to get along and even discuss politics.

On a more serious note, members are doing each other a favor by voting red a thread that doesn't belong or they don't want someone else to waste time with. If the goal is to include grocery coupons as a subcategory in HD, users will need to know they are allowed and encouraged to post them again, and the easiest way to do that is create a new forum.

Bring back grocery coupons? I would like this very much, esp with search option
• Create Find Me a Deal forum? Yes! Yes! Yes! Did I remember to say Yes!?!
• Split Deal Discussion? DOn't know what that means...
• Coupons, not just One Time Use (OTU)? Sure
• For Sale / For Trade? Like the idea if you're talking about things like coupons, but not things which have to be mailed.

Thanks so much for listening. I'm impressed!!!

Here is an additional idea to kick around. How about a forum for "User Groups": Dell Vostro xyz Owner's Group. Nissan xyz Owner's Group, LG xyz Phone User's Group - you get the idea. This could all be put in one seperate one forum. ????

TM1 said: Where does it stop; you could have a Car / Car repair Forum too, but how does it fit into the FW business model?
We already have a Finance forum to take care of this

bozo007 said: TM1 said: Where does it stop; you could have a Car / Car repair Forum too, but how does it fit into the FW business model?
We already have a Finance forum to take care of this

Although I still agree with that statement to an extent, if the direction FW is moving to attract more members and that is something that may cater to a group of people, then why not? It does fit into the business model. If someone reads a thread about a certain model of cell phone in a user's group and some people are posting about where they got their deal, etc., and the person uses FatCash to buy the phone, it does in deed fit into the business model. Many people buy Dell laptops/PCs, and use FatCash.

TM1 said: Here is an additional idea to kick around. How about a forum for "User Groups": Dell Vostro xyz Owner's Group. Nissan xyz Owner's Group, LG xyz Phone User's Group - you get the idea. This could all in one seperate be one forum. ????

i like the idea of "user groups" a lot!!

TM1 said: Here is an additional idea to kick around. How about a forum for "User Groups": Dell Vostro xyz Owner's Group. Nissan xyz Owner's Group, LG xyz Phone User's Group - you get the idea. This could all be put in one seperate one forum. ????What type of content would you see going in a "user group" thread?

Umm, the same stuff going on
here
here
here
here
here
here
here

There are more, but I think it should be clear now. All these threads could be in one forum instead of spread out. I also think the forum should be set to NOT archive either, to keep discussions going.

TM1 said: Umm, the same stuff going on
here
here
here
here
here
here
here

There are more, but I think it should be clear now. All these threads could be in one forum instead of spread out. I also think the forum should be set to NOT archive either, to keep discussions going.
I agree that there should be a way to segregate those types of posts. Perhaps a "product discussion" category under DD would work, with subcategories (laptops, video cards, etc.).

Why are you so against a "Owners Group Forum" ?? You didn't even want Find ME a Deal as a sub of DD, but the User Groups would be OK? * confused * I think it would be of a lot of value to people that clog up posts in HD or other forum asking specific questions about the product, not the deal. If thousands of people are using the same cell phone, they can post hacks, tips, software, FAQs, etc. Just one example. Sharing of information. Buy the phone through a CB link and then share tips and ask for help about the product. Maybe buy more schwag through CB because one of the Owners talked up a certain accessory.

TM1 said: Why are you so against a "Owners Group Forum" ?? You didn't even want Find ME a Deal as a sub of DD, but the User Groups would be OK? * confused * "Owners groups" are essentially product discussions, correct? I'm not against categorizing those separately, but I feel a separate forum just for these types of posts would end up like the ghost town that is "Product Reviews".

If I were designing things, the DD forum would have categorization just like HD does. "Find me a deal" and "product discussion" could be two of those categories. This would allow users to filter out one or more types of threads, while still allowing DD traffic to see those threads.

Actually I think product discussions would be better suited to wikis, perhaps FW could find a way to link a summarized form of a product discussion (i.e. a FAQ list) to new HD posts about said product. Or the existing product discussion could automatically be added as a new thread within a HD topic on that product (this would require threading to be implemented within topics).

It is very likely that it would become a Ghost town, who really knows?? There would no longer be a product review forum, that could replace it. By by the looks of the amount of threads and content, people enjoyed participating in them. Often they die on DD because people get pissed that the post is a product discussion, not a deal discussion.

coupons sound good..
grocery - will bring more people to the site i suspect

product discussion forums or categories sound interesting and a good way to get like minded people connected

Something I've heard in general feedback here and there as well as being bounced around here in the office is a place for newbies to get accustomed to the environment. I like the suggestion of "Newbie Island." It's a safe place for introductions, getting a feel for how to interact, what is expected (like "search first"), and learn some basics (like no referrals, trading, or spam). It might also help filter out spammers in general.

And it should have lots of animals!

VBMcGB said: Something I've heard in general feedback here and there as well as being bounced around here in the office is a place for newbies to get accustomed to the environment. I like the suggestion of "Newbie Island." It's a safe place for introductions, getting a feel for how to interact, what is expected (like "search first"), and learn some basics (like no referrals, trading, or spam). It might also help filter out spammers in general.

And it should have lots of animals!

Until you figure out what percentage of new members are really NEW, this is just another have for alts. Why not work on having existing members act like adults; HD and Finance forums should take the sensitivy trainging course! There are FAQs posted all over the site and it seems obvious that they are not being read by new members. There is also a flash presentation somewhere showing things too right? How well is that working out?

OK, as corny as this sounds, why not assign a few people to be mentors for the new members?

TM1 said: OK, as corny as this sounds, why not assign a few people to be mentors for the new members?

I don't think that's corny at all. Definitely an interesting thought.

TM1 said:
There are FAQs posted all over the site and it seems obvious that they are not being read by new members.

It doesn't matter if they did read them. Several FAQ threads on this site are completely out of date. New rules have not been put up, old rules not being enforced are still up.

Skipping 6 Messages...
jayK said: VBMcGB said: Can you clarify that? What do you mean "limited moderation abilities for posts by newbies"? You mean limited posting abilities, or limited moderation abilities given to mentors?I'm referring to limited moderation abilities given to mentors, so they could modify threads created by new users.

I like it.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.