More/Different Forums?

Archived From: FatWallet
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
VBMcGB said: Something I've heard in general feedback here and there as well as being bounced around here in the office is a place for newbies to get accustomed to the environment. I like the suggestion of "Newbie Island." It's a safe place for introductions, getting a feel for how to interact, what is expected (like "search first"), and learn some basics (like no referrals, trading, or spam). It might also help filter out spammers in general.

And it should have lots of animals!


Putting them in a safe place is a good idea, as long as there's a trade-off of keeping them from posting in OT for awhile.
JMHO

Beboparoo said: TM1 said:
There are FAQs posted all over the site and it seems obvious that they are not being read by new members.



It doesn't matter if they did read them. Several FAQ threads on this site are completely out of date. New rules have not been put up, old rules not being enforced are still up.


While I agree many rules are out of date, they don't really apply to the new people learning the ropes. The big issue / conversation at hand here, is teaching new members how to post a deal correctly and diminish the rude comments towards new people and scaring them away from posting further deals.

VBMcGB said: TM1 said: OK, as corny as this sounds, why not assign a few people to be mentors for the new members?

I don't think that's corny at all. Definitely an interesting thought.
Perhaps with limited moderation abilities for posts by newbies?

jayK said: VBMcGB said: TM1 said: OK, as corny as this sounds, why not assign a few people to be mentors for the new members?

I don't think that's corny at all. Definitely an interesting thought.
Perhaps with limited moderation abilities for posts by newbies?


Can you clarify that? What do you mean "limited moderation abilities for posts by newbies"? You mean limited posting abilities, or limited moderation abilities given to mentors?

VBMcGB said: Can you clarify that? What do you mean "limited moderation abilities for posts by newbies"? You mean limited posting abilities, or limited moderation abilities given to mentors?I'm referring to limited moderation abilities given to mentors, so they could modify threads created by new users.

jayK said: VBMcGB said: Can you clarify that? What do you mean "limited moderation abilities for posts by newbies"? You mean limited posting abilities, or limited moderation abilities given to mentors?I'm referring to limited moderation abilities given to mentors, so they could modify threads created by new users.

I like it.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.