• filter:
  • 117181920 21
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Hi glxpass, someone is going to have to look into that for you.

rated:
VBMcGB said:   Hi glxpass, someone is going to have to look into that for you.
  Thanks!  Is anyone besides me experiencing the same difficulties, given the parameters I mentioned above, i.e. running fatwallet.com (not the mobile site) on iPad2 with OS7 and unable to create an insertion point in the last couple of lines in the post, either via post entry or post editing?  In fact, the insertion point, cursor, or whatever you want to call it, completely disappears when you get to the bottom of the screen, although you can continue to add to a post and backspace over what you have written.

You can also see that the start of the reply begins one character to the right of where it should be.

rated:
I'm an idiot - I posted this in its own thread before I realized there was an official suggestions thread. I'm sorry mods!

Copying from my post, to make sure this gets seen by the right folks Thanks...

Feature suggestion... Apologies if there's already a way to do this (and if so, please let me know - I'd love to use it!)

I've noticed that I'll sometimes have CashBack reported... but not approved. Once I see that it's reported, I tend to forget about it (as in, "phew, that worked! On to other things!"). Because I don't track the status after it's reported, I end up missing out when the reported CashBack is never approved. I'm guessing that FW also misses out, since the CashBack not moving to "approved" likely means that other company doesn't pay out.

It would be hugely helpful to be able to have FW automatically send me a reminder email if I have CashBack that has been reported, but not approved. For example, if this could happen maybe 30 days after the CashBack was reported... I wouldn't have to track/remember to check up on it, I'd see the email, and know that I need to submit paperwork to get the CashBack approved, and I'd be well within the 60 day window for doing so.

Hopefully this would mean us end users would collect more CashBack, but so would FW - win-win!

Thanks!

Edit: In case anyone else sees this and is curious.  Blueeyes89 replied to the thread, and explained that everything is working as normal.  If CashBack shows "reported" - it's fine, working correctly, and will be paid out.  It doesn't normally need to show approved - that is shown only when a transaction was investigated, to show the outcome of the investigation.  (Thanks again, blueeyes89 for clarifying!)

rated:
Suggestion:
When viewing a Black Friday ad scan and details on item, have an option of saving items to a Black Friday wish/buy on BF list. so all the items you see you like and want to buy can be easily seen and remembered on Black Friday

Moderator Comment: We kind of have that for the deals view. Click the heart on the item, and it will save it to your favorites. — Dec. 30, 2013 @ 6:07pm
rated:
I've suggested this before, and it wasn't taken up, but I still think it makes sense:

Rename "Grocery Coupons and Deals" forum to "Grocery and Drugstore",

because many of the threads on that forum are about Drugstore ads, coupons, sales, policies, etc.

(Would be up to you whether you want to append "coupons and deals" to the title -- that part would seem to go without saying -- most of the FW forums are about coupons and deals of one sort or the other.)

rated:
From a Cash Back standpoint....what about giving members the opportunity to cash out for a gift card worth a little more than their Cash Back amount? For example, if you have $50.00 in CB but opt to get a gift card from a list of vendors, i.e starbucks, best buy, etc it would be worth $60.00. Discover does this now for example with their Cash Back.

rated:
No one else dislikes the new HOT DEALS/FORUM?
Before the change it was simple to view recent deals posts per topic. Now I have to select every topic I want to view. Not only that but re-select my choices per visit. (yes I'm logged in each time)

rated:
e1d1 said:   No one else dislikes the new HOT DEALS/FORUM?
Before the change it was simple to view recent deals posts per topic. Now I have to select every topic I want to view. Not only that but re-select my choices per visit. (yes I'm logged in each time)

Others, including myself, have voiced discontent with the new style.  So much so that I, for one, went to slickdeals, where I had never really visited, and now visit them daily and FW not as much.
The change was that bad, and at BF and Christmas time...just really poor planning (as a Program Manager for a major software firm for 16+ years before I decided to take time off this summer, I cannot imagine why it was allowed WHEN it was and HOW it was.  I wouldn't have done it that way and, if I did, my @&& would have been in my manager's office asap).

rated:
How about updating the Image Attachment Suggestions box to zoom in on the images when you hover over them?  Oftentimes, you can't really make out what some of the images are without adding them in and previewing them - which is a pain!

Moderator Comment: Interesting suggestion. I'll pass it along. — Dec. 30, 2013 @ 6:04pm
rated:
wrote this suggestion in a thread about a specific free book, and thought i'd repeat it here since it's a suggestion.

"oh, i wondered why this thread was being moderated - i wondered if it was a religious thing; but no, it's due to a disagreement about the handling of free books on FW - chuckle.

i think all free books should be listed together somewhere on FW: the arbitrary cut-off point between what is free and not worth much (therefore put in Free Stuff) and free and worth a reasonable amount (therefore put in Hot Deals) is even less solid for these electronically-delivered and optimistically-RRP'd Kindle books than it is for most things in life.

if all free books had their own forum here, like the sluggish and nearly-abandoned Travel or the niche and dependent-on-a-few-enthusiastic-souls Grocery and Drugstore do, that would probably upset no FW readers who love learning about and downloading these free books (it would be more efficient for those readers to have the free books listed in a single place, without dilution), and that would please a decent percentage of FW readers who are consternated by the volume of free books threads."

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1328812/m18214538/#m18...

rated:
A link to a users own 'Recent Messages' should be found under 'My Account'.
This link allows a user to see a summary of the threads they have contributed to an let's them see if there are ny new responses.
Presently this link is only found in the summary window that appears when one clicks a users icon.

rated:
How about not automatically archiving threads after 90 days of no replies? Maybe if a thread has a certain number of greens (maybe 10-12 or so) then leave it open for comments for a year or so. Recently, there have been two useful archived threads in which I would've liked to comment. In addition, there's a recent discussion here about the archiving policy in which I could've posted but that also got archived!

rated:
fatgempler said:   A link to a users own 'Recent Messages' should be found under 'My Account'.
This link allows a user to see a summary of the threads they have contributed to an let's them see if there are ny new responses.
Presently this link is only found in the summary window that appears when one clicks a users icon.

You can view your most recent messages on the today page in addition to the link you're referring to on the tombstone page.

rated:
Not sure if this has been brought up before. In Mobile, when clicking on a Best Deal topic, I do not want to go straight to the vendor's site, I rather have it go to the discussion thread.. you know, like how that "other" site works.

Moderator Comment: You can switch to the full site on your mobile device, and click on details to see any discussion about that deal. — Jan. 29, 2014 @ 4:28pm
rated:
Deals that have not been recently bumped/received recent replies should not be automatically archived if they are still available/valid... especially if the deal got green. I recently wanted to bump one of my threads to give folks a heads up that the instant coupon/rebate would expire in 2.5 weeks only to find that the thread had been archived, which gives the false impression that it is dead/expired. At least send an email to the OP a week or so in advance advising them that it will be archived if there is no further activity (that would have given me the opportunity to post a reply advising others that the deal was still available).

rated:
Getting tired of the "Checkout" feature on the Best Deals page.  Why not give us an option of checkout or go to the seller's website?

rated:
conlaw78 said:   Getting tired of the "Checkout" feature on the Best Deals page.  Why not give us an option of checkout or go to the seller's website?
  If you click on details, there is a blue "See this item at (Merchant)" link.  That goes directly to the item on the merchant website.

rated:
I also will not use FW checkout, I see no advantage in it nor do I understand it.

rated:
I like the following idea suggested by another member, regarding showing the red/green balance (and showing the total number of votes both ways) of a thread/a post instead of just indicating the average color, which can minimize the impression of the number of votes it received if the voting was polarized:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/fatwallet/1328632/m18287684/#m18...

rated:
There are way too many reposts and in effect, spams hitting the forums lately.

I think FW should require new users to read the posting guidelines and perhaps even pass a little quiz before being able to post. I see so many awful threads--just because they're new to FW doesn't mean they are new to the world, but some of these people write/think like they just woke up from a 25-year nap. C'mon folks, basic reasoning skills, let's get it together.

The latest annoyance is from a handful of users who seem to have nothing else to do with their lives, and they post and post new threads with any and every "deal" they can come up with. It's really tedious to see countless random items of clothing from Tar-get show up in their own thread. Or Best-Bye has some blurays for $4.99, and a certain user is posting a new thread for each individual title when they all should be featured in a single thread.

FW moderators are allowing this nonsense because nothing "wrong" is happening, and while this is technically true, the quality of the forums is clearly being lessened. I know many feel the way I do.

This is never going to be a perfect place, but it wasn't always this bad. I think things could be improved.

rated:
Madmurphy said:   
TM1 said:
Also, seeing posts in OT don't count, consider killing them in Free Stuff too. Is a member posting "thanks" 40-50 times a day any more valuable than the useless banter between us in OT?

I've even seen people say "Thnx" two or three times in the same thread (a day or two apart) in their desire to boost their thread count. The rating system is a way to show your appreciation for the thread, not with useless drivel posts of "Thanks OP", "Thnx", "TY", "In", "In 4 1", and the like. When there are mulitple pages of the drivel posts, any meaningful posts are certainly lost in the clutter. Perhaps by removing the post count in the Free Forum, people will be less inclined to post just the "thanks" posts. Useful input to threads is most certainly welcome. Just posting "thanks" and the like without adding anything to the deal is ridiculous.

An oldie but a goodie. YES, YES, YES! This is sadly something that apparently is never going to go away. If this were my forum, I'd set up a script that automatically scrubbed these useless posts away.

rated:
yoregano said:   The latest annoyance is from a handful of users who seem to have nothing else to do with their lives, and they post and post new threads with any and every "deal" they can come up with. It's really tedious to see countless random items of clothing from Tar-get show up in their own thread. Or Best-Bye has some blurays for $4.99, and a certain user is posting a new thread for each individual title when they all should be featured in a single thread.

Perhaps if a user accumulates too many negative votes for new topics within a certain amount of time, they could be given a "time out" that temporarily removes their ability to start new topics for a period corresponding to how many negative votes they received.

rated:
How about CashBack for wbmason.com?
And instead of "my favorite topics" under "My Account" (something that I don't even know what it is showing me) it would be nice to see the recent messages list with new message indicator like seen under "Recent Messages" after a users avatar is clicked from a discussion page.
Thank you.

rated:
jayK said:   
yoregano said:   The latest annoyance is from a handful of users who seem to have nothing else to do with their lives, and they post and post new threads with any and every "deal" they can come up with. It's really tedious to see countless random items of clothing from Tar-get show up in their own thread. Or Best-Bye has some blurays for $4.99, and a certain user is posting a new thread for each individual title when they all should be featured in a single thread.

Perhaps if a user accumulates too many negative votes for new topics within a certain amount of time, they could be given a "time out" that temporarily removes their ability to start new topics for a period corresponding to how many negative votes they received.

Agreed! The problem is getting worse. There are some prolific thread-posters who are clearly not doing any due diligence. It's getting pretty annoying. 

It's also interesting if one happened to read the post that followed mine before it was removed. Hmm….. 

rated:
Seriously, there are a few particular users who seem to be in a contest for who can post the most. Virtually the entire front page of the HD forum is filled with threads from three or four people, and most of these "deals" are of dubious merit, being mundane items from new-egg, tar-get, and the like. Or have these retailers hired these people to spam the board for them? Whatever the case, FW did not used to be this way, and the current situation is NOT why I came to use FW and find usefulness. It is getting to the point that it may be time to find a new favorite deal board.

In a "reverse trolling" sense (see my post in the "Achievements" thread), there are some real clever users who are going to reposted threads that have been locked, and are giving the OPs of those threads green! Talk about inappropriate use of the ratings system.  So why spare names when someone is blatantly acting this way? Yeah, I'm talking about you, Artie Lange.

rated:
The "Deals Discussion" is being used to post consumer alerts. Can FW create a forum for that subject or do members have to flag mods to "off topic" postings?

rated:
kshell said:   The "Deals Discussion" is being used to post consumer alerts. Can FW create a forum for that subject or do members have to flag mods to "off topic" postings?

The link please.

rated:
yesidonoitall said:   The link please.
Example: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1349943/

rated:
Connman said:   
yesidonoitall said:   The link please.
Example: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1349943/

OK, the GM deal.
I would say it is a discussion because, while they will fix the cars,
I see no mention of remuniration to bring the car in and take all the time to do it.
That surely is compressible.

rated:
In my case, my kid's car is in the recall, and he had an unrelated issue, which was going to be expensive to repair.  This will fix his issue, so definitely a deal for me.

rated:
kshell said:   The "Deals Discussion" is being used to post consumer alerts. Can FW create a forum for that subject or do members have to flag mods to "off topic" postings?
  Considering the low volume of posts in DD and the relatively small number of consumer alerts I don't think it's really an issue.

rated:
jayK said:   
  Considering the low volume of posts in DD and the relatively small number of consumer alerts I don't think it's really an issue.

Please explain the drop off of postings. Might it be due to postings that have nothing to do with discussing the merits of a deal? The mods are just letting some members push this site down the drain.

rated:
Deal Discussion has always been a place for Consumer Alerts.  It's even one of the categories we used when we added categorization to the forums years ago. 

If you don't wish to see them, you can set up a filter to customize your view that will exclude the Consumer Alerts category.

rated:
MVP9596 said:   Deal Discussion has always been a place for Consumer Alerts.  It's even one of the categories we used when we added categorization to the forums years ago. 

If you don't wish to see them, you can set up a filter to customize your view that will exclude the Consumer Alerts category.

Thank you. I wonder how many people have their view set so that they don't even see the categories and might not be aware they exist.

rated:
  Actually, "consumer alerts" is a category in the Deal Discussion Forum. 

rated:
VBMcGB said:   
  Actually, "consumer alerts" is a category in the Deal Discussion Forum. 

DOH!!!!!

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014