• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
MVP9596 said:   
jayK said:   
yoregano said:   FW really should update/clarify whatever link is out there that newbies are responding to in a clearly very confused and misunderstood way.
I don't think FW can really do anything to update or clarify the link (that thread is a top result when searching for "free meals on your birthday") but the thread could at least be placed under moderation so new replies require approval.

I did moderate the thread to try to keep the nonsense posts out.

I'm not sure what the above response means. The thread used to be moderated (but no longer is)? Yes, it makes sense that being a top result in a web search for "free birthday meals" is what is driving the traffic. Perhaps the OP and/or QS should be updated in the hope that at least of few of these dimwits will read before mindlessly posting. Probably not, but it can't hurt.

And I don't see why FW can't come in once a month or so and do a mass-wipe of the drivel. It's not like it's hard to tell the nonsense from the actual comments. Just follow the red bars if in doubt.

Or do indeed put the thread back in moderation. Any attempt that is obviously a mindless phantom sign-up or whatever can be left in limbo.

rated:
yoregano said:   Or do indeed put the thread back in moderation.

yoregano, i think what was being described by MVP9596
is that the thread has been in moderation since not too long after your most recent complaint here --
so, it has been moderated for like the last 24 hours or something --
if you go to the thread now, you will see a couple of posts from me written earlier today, and my last 2 posts there WENT TO MODERATION before they were accepted, as I assume anyone's posts there will now do.

the reason that I wrote above in this thread earlier today that 
"It seems there are different definitions floating around of what a "nonsense post" is"
is because
"the last 20 or so posts, they are mainly redded space-fillers"
and these had not been removed when the thread was reviewed prior to going into moderation yesterday,
so I don't know what sort of good introducing moderation is going to do, if that level of post is considered acceptable to leave up in the thread

i did the best i could, last night, in my capitalized plea to "Peggy" (which was meant for all new posters there), to explain the correct use of the thread,

and then lo-and-behold the next new person who posted below my post ignored what i had written and posted the same kind of inane thing as others have done.  apparently, that post went through the new "moderation" just as my most recent posts there did.

i give up.

rated:
NantucketSunrise said:   
i give up.

Oh... well, if the thread is indeed back in moderation, yeah, what's the point if FW isn't going to fix the obvious problem.

Sigh.

rated:
I think there might be some miscommunication here regarding what it means to place a thread under moderation. It seems that from the FW mod staff perspective, proactive moderation is only meant to stop posts that are abusive, have referral links, or are not even remotely on topic. In most cases that's fine, but in the case of the free birthday meals thread where you have a lot of brand new users creating posts that are of no value to anyone I think the bar needs to be set a little higher.

rated:
jayK said:   I think there might be some miscommunication here regarding what it means to place a thread under moderation. It seems that from the FW mod staff perspective, proactive moderation is only meant to stop posts that are abusive, have referral links, or are not even remotely on topic. In most cases that's fine, but in the case of the free birthday meals thread where you have a lot of brand new users creating posts that are of no value to anyone I think the bar needs to be set a little higher.

I hadn't yet passed a memo to the team to let them know to keep non constructive posts out of that thread.  I did leave a note, but that was apparently missed.  I cleaned up the last page of the thread just now.  Hopefully any new posts (that get deleted) will be a learning experience (via PM) for these new members on how to take advantage of the offers, while actual constructive posts with more offers will be all that is seen in the thread.

rated:
That's an improvement. I think updating the headline could be a simple help, something like:
Restaurants WIth Perks for Birthdays, etc. - NOTE: FOR REFERENCE ONLY, NOT A SIGNUP PAGE TO RECEIVE OFFERS!

rated:
yoregano said:   updating the headline could be a simple help...
Restaurants WIth Perks for Birthdays, etc. - NOTE: FOR REFERENCE ONLY, NOT A SIGNUP PAGE TO RECEIVE OFFERS!

None of the other threads on Fatwallet have to tell people in the headline that they are not a sign-up page,
but rather they are just presenting information that the reader needs to act on if he/she wants to benefit from what is being discussed.

The people leaving nonsense posts on that thread do not seem to read anything on the thread anyway, so I can't see that adding more words (for them to ignore) would deter them.

And it would just insult the intelligence of the more-typical Fatwallet readers who come across such a headline.

---
The thread is some kind of weird hinterland that attracts an unusual subset of 'confused' (was trying to think of a non-perjorative word there) new visitors to the site, who may never get further involved in the site, and it almost seems that there's a one-touch button somewhere out there online (in maybe a dodgy spot) that pulls in random folks and over-promises what leaving a post in that particular thread will do for them. 

However, I think there's a process to go through to sign up here, so it has to take a few minutes, at least, to leave one's first post?  I am surprised that that is not more of a deterrent.

Obviously, FW doesn't want to deter anyone new from signing up, but as far as 'customer' segmentation goes, I can't think that that particular group of new recruits goes on to add much to the site, either in terms of offering support/advice/new deals to other FW members, or in terms of directly enriching FW coffers via its share in their CashBack earnings. 
In the 80/20 way of looking at things, they are probably in the 20% least contributory (either in intangibles or tangibles), the 20% most time-consuming for mods, and the 20% most annoying for regular members. 

But, it's just kind of a fact of life that that 20% group is going to be there, and need to be dealt with courteously and professionally.

[On second thought, make that the top 5% of those areas, not 20% -- the birthday thread newbies are that special!  chuckle]

rated:
Please, Please, Please - a permanent opt out option for mobile view? It's driving me crazy!
It's a real PITA to have to reset to desktop view
every time I want to view something on FW.
It has only been that way for the past 2-3 months. And don't tell me to clear my cookies.
I did that with the stock Android browser on one
of my kitkat devices and now it's impossible to log back on from that browser.

rated:
FMB1 said:   Please, Please, Please - a permanent opt out option for mobile view? It's driving me crazy!
It has only been that way for the past 2-3 months. And don't tell me to clear my cookies.

I'll bring this up to the mobile team. 
If you can't log in, that sounds like you turned cookies off, not just cleared them.

rated:
MVP9596 said:   
FMB1 said:   Please, Please, Please - a permanent opt out option for mobile view? It's driving me crazy!

I'll bring this up to the mobile team. 
If you can't log in, that sounds like you turned cookies off, not just cleared them.

Nope that's not it.
I get a screen that only has the log in option without the signup option.
When I fill in my log in info and click Sign In the info boxes just clear with no error message.
I'm 100% positive I'm entering the correct info because I can test it on my PC and no problem
logging in.

Opt out option: I'm pretty sure that there used to be an option to opt out when the
mobile view first started but can't find it now. I've been a member for ~9 yrs
and using mobile devices ~5 yrs and the problem just started 2-3 mo ago.

Last about mobile view: When I choose Desktop Site at the bottom of the screen
I don't get the desktop view of the page I was on. Instead I go to the Coupons & Cash Back Stores
page and have to work my way back to the page I was viewing.

All in all the mobile view is extremely clunky and frustrating.

FMB1

rated:
MVP9596 said:   
BradMajors said:   Allow people to turn off fatwallet express popups.

Please see my update regarding the FWE footer message here

Bumping a somewhat aged topic.  It looks like your other message addresses footer messages that appear while on the fatwallet site.  I don't know if this is what others are referring to when they talk about banners and pop-ups, but I have two suggestions about the fatwallet express add-in for browsers.  

(1) Please give the option to STOP showing the banner at the top of affiliate pages.
The small green/red icon by the address bar is great.  I like the reminder and being able to (almost) one-click on it if I'm shopping to activate FW CashBack, but the full width banner at the top of the page is annoying enough to remove FW express.  That banner comes up *after* the page loads and shifts the page content down, and with just enough delay that the cursor is now on top of some irrelevant space instead of the link I want.  Ok, take 1 annoying second to reposition the cursor and ...  sometimes the banner goes away and the page jumps up again.  ARRRRRGH.  Yeah, there's an "X" on the right to kill the banner, but it's a zombie and comes back at the next affiliate web site.

(2) Please, please, please grab the URL of the page I'm on and reload it.  I drill down, find what I want to purchase, remember to hit the "activate FW CashBack" and, poof, I'm back at the sites home page.  LOL.  Just went to verify I was describing this right, click on the icon, click on "activate", get a FW congratulations, and then "Bad Request  Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.  Size of a request header field exceeds server limit."  Even better than the home page.  Even if you have to re-initiate contact with the web site with affiliate parameters/etc, I'd think you can then reload the page I was at when I activated FW.  I know I can by selecting it in the back button history of my browser.

I like the icon reminder very much, but the other annoyances are at a 49% level of switching to a small "Got FW??" post-it note on my monitor frame.

rated:
Mobile version font size is too small. Could be offline reader compatible

rated:
rsuaver said:   Mobile version font size is too small. Could be offline reader compatible

Hi rsuaver,

Have you changed the text size in your mobile options?  There are three different sizes to choose from at the top of the page I linked.  Give those a try and see if they suit you better

rated:
The ratings system really needs to be changed or even removed. It really doesn't make sense. FW makes all kinds of warnings about "abuse" and "targeting," but frankly, there are plenty of posts that warrant red ratings—stupid and/or inane comments, repeated reposts, etc. If the ongoing mantra is for the forums to be a place of community and such, why allow red to exist anyway? Why allow people to vote if you don't want to let them vote however they want to vote?

It needs to make sense. Let people vote they way they want. Make it anonymous to remove the personal nature. Or just get rid of it. But the way it is now is arbitrary and inspires aggravation.

rated:
yoregano said:   The ratings system really needs to be changed or even removed. It really doesn't make sense.
FW makes all kinds of warnings about "abuse" and "targeting," but frankly, there are plenty of posts that warrant red ratings—stupid and/or inane comments, repeated reposts, etc. If the ongoing mantra is for the forums to be a place of community and such, why allow red to exist anyway? Why allow people to vote if you don't want to let them vote however they want to vote?
It needs to make sense. Let people vote they way they want. Make it anonymous to remove the personal nature. Or just get rid of it. But the way it is now is arbitrary and inspires aggravation.

This doesn't chime with my experience of FW, but I have a strange setup whereby I use PeerBlock on my computer to block a lot of third-party internet connections, which means that I cannot enjoy much of the functionality of the FW site, including being able to vote red on about half of the forums (the other half, I can vote red on). 
I have been on this site a few times in the last 2 years without having PeerBlock on, and during those visits I've experienced the pop-up box for red voting on the more popular forums which asks the voter for the reason behind the vote -- is this what you are talking about in your complaint above?  Have they changed it recently?

Where are the FW "warnings about 'abuse' and 'targeting' "?  When a reader is trying to vote red?

How are people not being allowed to "vote however they want to vote"?  Do they stop some votes from being counted?

After they brought in that pop-up-box voting system, but before I started to use PeerBlock, I remember complaining here about the questions that were asked when one was voting red - because they were not mutually-exclusive, not exhaustive, and so forth.  I found the whole existence of that extra step, which they only brought in a couple of years ago, to be annoying.

I don't think the green/red voting should be anonymous.  Keep it linked to the user's screen name, for transparency and responsibility.

rated:
I would like to see the green & red buttons disappear forever with the exception of voting the original post in Hot Deals. Ranking a deal can be useful if done fairly.

rated:
veckle said:   I would like to see the green & red buttons disappear forever with the exception of voting the original post in Hot Deals. Ranking a deal can be useful if done fairly.
  Me to, I have to fw'rs who red me no matter how correct I am

rated:
I don't think the green/red voting should be anonymous

It is not, you can clearly see who gave you what

rated:
yesidonoitall said:   I don't think the green/red voting should be anonymous

I know that it is not anonymous -- 
in my post, I was responding to Yoregano's earlier request to make it anonymous (which I quoted in my post to indicate what I was responding to).

This was Yoregano's earlier request:
yoregano said:   Make it anonymous to remove the personal nature.

rated:
NantucketSunrise said:   
yesidonoitall said:   I don't think the green/red voting should be anonymous

I know that it is not anonymous -- 
in my post, I was responding to Yoregano's earlier request to make it anonymous (which I quoted in my post to indicate what I was responding to).

This was Yoregano's earlier request:
yoregano said:   Make it anonymous to remove the personal nature.

i c

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2015