• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
NantucketSunrise, even though you are putting periods in it, "youtube" is still being caught by our filter. That is what is happening with your posts.

rated:
Kcarlsen21 said:   NantucketSunrise, even though you are putting periods in it, "zoo toob" is still being caught by our filter. That is what is happening with your posts.
Thanks for the explanation on why I got a "dodgy URL" pop-up the second time in a row (even though I tried to obfuscate the site's name because I wasn't trying to actually link to it, I was just referring to it in passing). 
Your system is clever if it can see past sneaky punctuation additions, ha ha!

I guess the thing I found interesting is that I got that particular pop-up at all, since I don't get other types of your pop-ups that warn that a post is not going to automatically be posted for one reason or another.  It seems your "dodgy URL" pop-up isn't routed through the Jquery/external Google thing, whereas perhaps the others are (thus, I can't see those).

However, since so many of my posts were held back from automatically posting last night, probably there was a different reason they were all in some sort of queue, because their content was not controversial and they didn't have flagged URLs.  Maybe FW was doing some kind of site maintenance, as it was in the wee hours.

rated:
NantucketSunrise said:   
Kcarlsen21 said:   NantucketSunrise, even though you are putting periods in it, "zoo toob" is still being caught by our filter. That is what is happening with your posts.
Thanks for the explanation on why I got a "dodgy URL" pop-up the second time in a row (even though I tried to obfuscate the site's name because I wasn't trying to actually link to it, I was just referring to it in passing). 
Your system is clever if it can see past sneaky punctuation additions, ha ha!

I guess the thing I found interesting is that I got that particular pop-up at all, since I don't get other types of your pop-ups that warn that a post is not going to automatically be posted for one reason or another.  It seems your "dodgy URL" pop-up isn't routed through the Jquery/external Google thing, whereas perhaps the others are (thus, I can't see those).

*However, since so many of my posts were held back from automatically posting last night, probably there was a different reason they were all in some sort of queue, because their content was not controversial and they didn't have flagged URLs.  Maybe FW was doing some kind of site maintenance, as it was in the wee hours.

*Bold emphasis mine. You weren't being routed to a page telling you FW couldn't find what you were searching for, and to try again, when you hit the reply button to post, were you? If so, this thread might be of interest. Apparently the issue I had was related to a server, I would see the search message when making a new post - though replies to threads wouldn't show anything, just send me back to the 1st post in the thread I was replying in. Regardless, I had tried over the course of an hour to post the latest KFR points in FS, and the posts I tried to make showed up, all 13 of them, nearly an hour after I submitted the last one. ( IOW< a total of 2 hours passed from when I first attempted to post, and when the posts all showed up at once.) I had stepped away from the computer, and came back later, to see what happened, and to see if the night mod had seen my mod alert and tried to replicate it. I was too tired and sent another mod alert pointing out the multiple dupes and went to bed. Saw 17 messages in my PM box today, including 4 mod messages, 1 from from MVP (in case my replies in the thread didn't show up, I sent it to him by PM as well), and 12 auto-delete messages. MVP acknowledged a server issue affecting some users and their ability to post, though I provided the most details. You may have been one of those affected by the server issue.

rated:
SweetClover said:   ...You weren't being routed to a page telling you FW couldn't find what you were searching for, and to try again, when you hit the reply button to post, were you?
No, I saw nothing unusual. I would write a comment, hit the "reply" button, and my comment would disappear into the ether and I would end up in exactly the same place on the thread as I was before I composed my comment.

Maybe I was actually having the same server issue as you and other people, but was precluded from seeing the warning screen that you got because my computer does not allow Fatwallet's Jquery connection with Google.

rated:
I would suggest that threads like the following,
which are broadly a repeat of an earlier thread (not too far back in time),
and which also have some questionable claims in them (unfortunately, of course, and that was probably unknown to the poster, who probably thought they had found an amazing resource to share, which they assumed had never been shown on FW before, because maybe they didn't do a search for the topic before they posted their thread),
should have some kind of warning box appended to them by the mods, so new readers don't get overly excited about the information and spend a lot of time looking into it and finding that the information, on the whole, doesn't really apply to them.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1462650 

This was my comment on that thread:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1462650/m1923732... 

Having a lot of green votes and enthusiasm and clicks doesn't matter, if much of the actual information provided is a bit "shaky".

rated:
NantucketSunrise said:   I would suggest that threads like the following,
which are broadly a repeat of an earlier thread (not too far back in time),
and which also have some questionable claims in them (unfortunately, of course, and that was probably unknown to the poster, who probably thought they had found an amazing resource to share, which they assumed had never been shown on FW before, because maybe they didn't do a search for the topic before they posted their thread),
should have some kind of warning box appended to them by the mods, so new readers don't get overly excited about the information and spend a lot of time looking into it and finding that the information, on the whole, doesn't really apply to them.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1462650 

This was my comment on that thread:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1462650/m1923732... 

Having a lot of green votes and enthusiasm and clicks doesn't matter, if much of the actual information provided is a bit "shaky".

What kind of warning do you mean?  I did add a link to the previous thread from ctgolfer, but it's archived so more discussion can't be added to that thread.  Your post is relaying that its YMMV, which is also important to add.  Did you want a YMMV added to the OP?

rated:
MVP9596 said:   What kind of warning do you mean?  I did add a link to the previous thread from ctgolfer, but it's archived so more discussion can't be added to that thread.  Your post is relaying that its YMMV, which is also important to add.  Did you want a YMMV added to the OP?

Thank you for adding a box under the OP explaining that the same information was posted 3 months earlier (not to mention that it was also posted on FW in prior years) and giving a link to the prior thread!

I do think that an official warning to readers that the bulk of the claimed discounts are not reliably obtainable across the country and must be individually verified at the local level with each retailer/restaurant would be helpful in that "warning box" below the OP.

My aim would never be to upset an original poster, especially a long-term member of this site, which my complaint about this has done, he has PM'd me to say,

but I know how much wasted time this inaccurate, spammy, almost hoax-y list has cost me and my senior-citizen relatives, and I just hate to see it perpetuated and given the legitimacy of having a prominent "many-greens" platform on Fatwallet, because I have the fear that it's going to waste more people's time, effort, and phone calls to retailers/restaurants, which could, in the end, cost more disappointment than it's worth.

rated:
It remains irritating that FW won't improve (nor will really address the problem) of the auto-expire function that nobody uses.

rated:
Trying to avoid or clean up duplicate posts or dumb posts when someone points out the same thing at the same time see here

Log the load time of the current page. As I'm replying, check the load time of my page vs the last post date in the thread. If there's a new post offer let me review it before I continue submitting.

Alternatively, after the post is posted show a delete button to me for x minutes/seconds.

rated:
Another ongoing irritation: nobody seems to use or be aware of the auto-expire feature.

rated:
It would be nice to add a button on deal posts "In For One!", and have the number of people who get in on a deal tallied in a column on the Hot Deals main page.

rated:
mistadeal said:   It would be nice to add a button on deal posts "In For One!", and have the number of people who get in on a deal tallied in a column on the Hot Deals main page.
Including the number of clickthroughs would serve the same purpose and be more accurate, except for B&M only deals of course.

rated:
Exempt users who have made thousands of posts to fatwallet without ever posting any spam from your pre posting spam filters.  Your spam filters are become annoying.

rated:
^^Your spam filters are annoying... (fixed)

^^and especially when the mods let thru affilliate links anwayz after waiting for the spam filter ...

rated:
^^HOURS !!!

rated:
Why is it that a post can be caught in the spam filters when it is text only without any links?  Please fix the spam filter!

rated:
Sometimes text is caught in our filters because it includes a string of characters that have been problematic in the past. We also have a filter for inappropriate words.

Making an exemption for members who are in excellent standing is certainly something I want to consider.

rated:
I've mentioned once or twice or ten times or so, and it never gets addressed, can something be done to improve the auto-expire feature? It's a nice one and it works, as long as the thread-poster actually chooses to use it, which is not very often most likely because it doesn't stand out very strongly. (That and the fact that too many people are lazy and/or not very savvy.)

Same can be said about the "skull & crossbones" to flag expired deals.

rated:
I've signed for FatWallet over 2 years ago and did not really pay too much attention to badges that appear under user names in the left screen margin. Over a year ago, I started to get an interest on how to earn badges. It wasn't until this past spring that I went from about 25 badges to 94 badges.

There were a couple of badges that I found out that were retired such as 'Coupon Clipper' and, recently, 'Better. Deal. Ever.' and 3 related badges to this one. The last badge that I mentioned is an irritant with me since I was awarded the 'Best. Deal. Ever.' badge just before Thanksgiving. I was looking at an old Hot Deal post and realized that I had another deal that was rated 'Best Deal' by FW. So I looked at other posts since the summer and found 6 rated as Best Deals. I thought I had earned the 'Better. Deal. Ever.'  So I sent a message only to be told early this week that this badge was retired. And that FW has plans to mark badges as retired but don't know when that is going to happen.  Hopefully, soon.

I don't want to waste my and FW's time sending messages to FW asking about a badge I thought I had earned only to find out it's a retired badge. A little disheartening, but will not discourage me from posting Hot Deals. With the word 'RETIRED' in the badge description would be useful.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016