• filter:
  • 118192021 22
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
MVP9596 said:   Hi jumpattack!

The replies column over on the right side is a good indicator to show whether you've read a thread or not. If you see "xx unread", that's telling you that you've opened the thread, and there were xx replies since you last viewed it. Clicking on that link will take you to the first unread message. I've attached a screenshot that shows you what I'm referring to.

When I see "xx unread", I click on the link and often times I get "ERROR The message you are trying to link to is not in this topic." It looks like the unread replies were deleted for whatever reason, but the original "xx unread" doesn't go away after revisiting the thread. When I see it again, I go to read again only to get the error. After a few fails, I make a mental note not to fall for it again. Can this be fixed?

rated:
veckle said:   
MVP9596 said:   Hi jumpattack!

The replies column over on the right side is a good indicator to show whether you've read a thread or not. If you see "xx unread", that's telling you that you've opened the thread, and there were xx replies since you last viewed it. Clicking on that link will take you to the first unread message. I've attached a screenshot that shows you what I'm referring to.

When I see "xx unread", I click on the link and often times I get "ERROR The message you are trying to link to is not in this topic." It looks like the unread replies were deleted for whatever reason, but the original "xx unread" doesn't go away after revisiting the thread. When I see it again, I go to read again only to get the error. After a few fails, I make a mental note not to fall for it again. Can this be fixed?

Do you have any examples for me by chance?  I had thought this was fixed a while back, but I could be thinking of a different situation.

rated:

rated:
Sending you a PM about this.

rated:
How about a user signature function, unlimited as to animated graphics, video, and scrolling parti-colored text? I can list what I drive, what guns I own, how many times I've random pm'd people, and have those little stick figures representing each member of my family including Foofy, the Rapterrior. 

Just yanking your chain, Beloit! Keep it classy.

rated:
Kandykornhead said:   How about a user signature function, unlimited as to animated graphics, video, and scrolling parti-colored text? I can list what I drive, what guns I own, how many times I've random pm'd people, and have those little stick figures representing each member of my family including Foofy, the Rapterrior. 

Just yanking your chain, Beloit! Keep it classy.

rated:
MVP9596 said:   Deal Discussion has always been a place for Consumer Alerts.  It's even one of the categories we used when we added categorization to the forums years ago. 

If you don't wish to see them, you can set up a filter to customize your view that will exclude the Consumer Alerts category.

Given that the number of consumer alerts posted in DD has been increasing lately and said alerts are often important to multiple forums it may be time to revisit this. I had posted this in a DD thread:

Perhaps a dedicated moderated consumer alerts forum would be valuable after all as a centralized forum to store these threads...users could subscribe to be notified whenever there is a new thread in the consumer alerts forum, and part of creating the new thread could be suggesting which forums to alias to.

rated:
Where are you supposed to post a consumer alert? Right now I see them in Deal Discussion. That's fine by me because I clearly see the categories in that forum and I know there is one for consumer alerts. A lot of folks must not see it that way. They just see Deal Discussion and leave comments like "Exactly what deal are we discussing here?". If you click on a topic, you can see the directory tree at the top, but it ends with deal discussion. I think you should make the categories more prominent in the site navigation, or consider the suggestion for a consumer forum.

rated:
What would be nice is a way to ignore a user's posts, but set a post rating threshold -- for example, "ignore user X's posts unless the post is rated +1 or better". The purpose of this for me would be to allow us to filter out posts from particularly "spammy" users (or post bots, can't tell what they are) without missing a deal that they just happened to get to first. Signal-to-noise ratio is much too low at the moment...

Edit: One unintended side effect of this would be if a whole bunch of people enable this setting for a specific user, there are less people that will see their posts and give green, not allowing those users to see good deals that might be posted.  Maybe there's a better way to fix this problem?

rated:
How about a "Don't show this message again" button for the new Adblock banner.

rated:
I'm still new here, but I wonder: So, if I understand the forums and the cool Badges correctly,
we generate an insane amount of views and HOT DEALS affiliate payouts so wouldn't it be awesome
if we received a referral bonus for purchases resulting from our Forum posts?

rated:
An odd thing I've noticed about some first-time posts from "newbies." Many of the bad first posts (incomprehensible, all caps, stupid, inane, etc.) I've read over the years often it show that their username was registered several years ago. For example, the OP in this thread registered in 2007: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1380080/ 

Also on the topic of new users and their, um, "contributions," any thoughts why so many worthless one-time posts are showing up in these two particular threads?: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1051269/?start=80 and http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/906829/?start=6400 

Someone must be directing new users to threads like this to get revenue clicks or something, that's the only thing that makes any sense why someone shows up in a dormant thread to make a pointless comment.

I recently questioned FW staff regarding the restaurant thread above and the volume of lame posts, and was told that, "Until the user shows that they have ill intent, or are spamming, I am not able to take any action." I find that curious; I think FW can do whatever they wish, and I have seen posts deleted for far less damning reasons.

rated:
yoregano said:   An odd thing I've noticed about some first-time posts from "newbies." Many of the bad first posts (incomprehensible, all caps, stupid, inane, etc.) I've read over the years often it show that their username was registered several years ago. For example, the OP in this thread registered in 2007: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1380080/ 

This "newbie" you refer to could possibly be a long time Cash Back user, and finally was brave enough to post in the forums. Many first time posters, no matter the age of the account, aren't familiar with how to really post and share the most relevant information.

Also on the topic of new users and their, um, "contributions," any thoughts why so many worthless one-time posts are showing up in these two particular threads?: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1051269/?start=80 and http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/906829/?start=6400 

Someone must be directing new users to threads like this to get revenue clicks or something, that's the only thing that makes any sense why someone shows up in a dormant thread to make a pointless comment.

Google is directing them there more than likely. Or, they could be spammers in the making. It's hard to tell. That thread is linked in the top sticky for "Master Threads".

I recently questioned FW staff regarding the restaurant thread above and the volume of lame posts, and was told that, "Until the user shows that they have ill intent, or are spamming, I am not able to take any action." I find that curious; I think FW can do whatever they wish, and I have seen posts deleted for far less damning reasons.

Sure, we can delete anything. But it's kind of hard to encourage new users to post or get better by deleting them if they didn't break any rules. Replace able with going and that might make more sense. "Until the user shows that they have ill intent, or are spamming, I am not going to take any action."

rated:
You really need a "Get off my lawn" badge

rated:
veckle said:   You really need a "Get off my lawn" badge
  *Shakes fist*
Hey You Kids!

rated:
MVP9596 said:   
This "newbie" you refer to could possibly be a long time Cash Back user, and finally was brave enough to post in the forums. Many first time posters, no matter the age of the account, aren't familiar with how to really post and share the most relevant information.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: I think FW should require first-time posters to read the FAQ/forum guidelines before their post will go through. It would surely reduce the frequency/degree of bad posts.
MVP9596 said: Sure, we can delete anything. But it's kind of hard to encourage new users to post or get better by deleting them if they didn't break any rules.
Let's look at some of these posts. They are absolutely worthless with little if any sense of intelligent thought involved. And many are one-time posts and that username never appears again. There is nothing to encourage here, we should be discouraging this kind of posting! If the reader can reasonably discern that there is nothing useful about a post and it's just taking up space, why not delete what clogs up and detracts from the quality of the thread?

rated:
yoregano said:   I've said it before, I'll say it again: I think FW should require first-time posters to read the FAQ/forum guidelines before their post will go through. It would surely reduce the frequency/degree of bad posts.
Forced reading usually only serves to annoy users, there's no test to confirm that a user comprehended or even actually read the FAQ.
Let's look at some of these posts. They are absolutely worthless with little if any sense of intelligent thought involved. And many are one-time posts and that username never appears again. There is nothing to encourage here, we should be discouraging this kind of posting!
How do you distinguish between a post like this and a new user who is still learning the ropes and may not speak English as a primary language?
If the reader can reasonably discern that there is nothing useful about a post and it's just taking up space, why not delete what clogs up and detracts from the quality of the thread?
That's what ratings are for, you can use the ratings filter to automatically hide these posts.

rated:
agree with Yoregano.

a few threads are really junked up -- it's a shame.

and there doesn't even seem to be a point to their efforts.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1051269/m18612030/#m18...

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1051269/m18575799/#m18...

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1051269/m18390461/#m18...

but obviously, something friendly and kind (not to mention comprehensible in English, and relevant to the larger topic) gets red votes:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1051269/m18517079/#m18...

it must be hard to have a public site (that is for-profit) and keep public contributions useful, valuable, and 'classy'. i wouldn't want to be the 'policeman', it would be depressing to sift through it and figure out what is 'corporately' acceptable. imagine what kind of post does trigger a deletion!

(besides my username's mentioning oboamacare, or objecting to sexism or crudeness, hahaha)

rated:
I'm not seeing any "junk" posts in the free meals thread, have they already been deleted? If not can you post some examples?

NantucketSunrise said:   but obviously, something friendly and kind (not to mention comprehensible in English, and relevant to the larger topic) gets red votes:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1051269/m18517079/#m18...

It was off-topic. Can you imagine how cluttered the thread would be if everyone wished everyone else a happy birthday?

rated:
jayK said:   I'm not seeing any "junk" posts in the free meals thread, have they already been deleted? If not can you post some examples?

You're kidding, right? The thread isn't that long, browse through. Most every post with a negative rating deserves it. Posts like "Texas de Brazil," "IHOP," and "I think it's a good deal." are junk. The real winner, "How to get them and is there any you can just use a word or code" is especially moronic. I'm not gonna give credit or excuse for the "new user is still learning how this works." It doesn't take much thought to figure out to post a link or give some sort of details if one of these is actually trying to make a worthwhile contribution. I've never understood the idea of cutting a new user so much slack. Surely we can presume these people have some basic reading and communication skills--if there really is a legitimate attempt, that is, there really is a point to a post being made. And again, many of the posts are one-time quips from usernames that never show up again.

As far as "annoying" someone by "forcing" them to read a FAQ, so what? There's nothing wrong with learning the process before you do something.

rated:
yoregano said:   Most every post with a negative rating deserves it. Posts like "Texas de Brazil," "IHOP," and "I think it's a good deal." are junk. The real winner, "How to get them and is there any you can just use a word or code" is especially moronic.
That's your opinion, and while I agree some deserve a negative rating, that does not mean the posts should be deleted or posters should be banned. The posts mentioning Texas de Brazil and IHOP are absolutely on-topic (if short on details), and it is very common for people to share their opinion about a deal or ask questions about it in HD threads.

Generally post deletion shouldn't happen very often and should be limited to things like spam, personal attacks, actively malicious content, etc.
As far as "annoying" someone by "forcing" them to read a FAQ, so what? There's nothing wrong with learning the process before you do something.
The problem with forcing people to read a wall of text is that they usually don't read it, and they will skip to the end and try to get to posting as quickly as possible. A better solution for new users would be a short but engaging tutorial they could go through step by step, perhaps with a reward for completion (like a badge).

And again, many of the posts are one-time quips from usernames that never show up again.
This could be because these users are receiving a less-than-warm welcome.

rated:
Whether or not posts I illustrate should be banned, the examples I gave are still fairly described as junk. That is, they offer no meaningful contribution, are confusing/poorly constructed, or repeat information clearly already addressed in the thread.

I do agree with jayK in that the FAQ could be updated to more of a tutorial instead of paragraphs of text. That's a great idea. I never said anything need be cumbersome,I was just thinking about working with what's currently available.

I've never understood the thinking that some have about newbies needing so much space to learn, adjust, etc. No one needs to be unkind to new users, but some of these new posts seem like the person on the other end isn't just new to this forum, but new to the concept of using a computer or accessing the web in the first place. I suppose that could rarely be the case, but I still think most of the time there is something strange going on, again why I pointed out the high concentration of bad first-time posts in a couple particular threads.

rated:
jayK said:   I'm not seeing any "junk" posts in the free meals thread, have they already been deleted? If not can you post some exam ples?

I did.  Above.  And in the thread.

rated:
yoregano said:   Whether or not posts I illustrate should be banned, the examples I gave are still fairly described as junk. That is, they offer no meaningful contribution, are confusing/poorly constructed, or repeat information clearly already addressed in the thread.
The problem with using words like "junk" is that they are subjective, imprecise, and not generally useful for moderation. As you mentioned, a post that doesn't really offer anything useful could be described as "junk". A post that is off-topic, spam, or actively malicious could also be described as "junk". IMO the former deserves a negative vote (although as seen here some vote red just because they don't like what they are reading) while the latter deserves deletion and a ban if the infraction is severe enough.

As mentioned above deletion should be a last resort, and if new users find their posts vanishing (with an associated message from a mod) just because they didn't add enough value, they probably won't contribute to the community in the future. False positives tend to be much more damaging than false negatives.
I've never understood the thinking that some have about newbies needing so much space to learn, adjust, etc. No one needs to be unkind to new users, but some of these new posts seem like the person on the other end isn't just new to this forum, but new to the concept of using a computer or accessing the web in the first place. I suppose that could rarely be the case, but I still think most of the time there is something strange going on, again why I pointed out the high concentration of bad first-time posts in a couple particular threads.
Why do you think it is rare for a new user to also be new to contributing to forums in general? A user doesn't have to be new to using a computer, accessing the web, or even reading forums to be at a novice level with regards to creating new posts. I think you are vastly overestimating the percentage of current internet users who have posted to an online forum.

And as MVP mentioned, the free meals thread is likely popular for new users because it places highly in common Google searches (such as "free meals at restaurants on your birthday").

Speaking of that thread, see my latest post there for an example of how to constructively build on a previous post that was short on information without off-topic comments. It took me about 2 minutes to find this information just based on the restaurant name (which wasn't even 100% correct) from the previous poster.

rated:
Junk posts in the eye of the one thinking it is junk.
Gold to the poster.

It would be a nightmare setting up parameters and costly to scrutinize, there would go 1/2 of the FW cash.

rated:
If we can all eat junk food, we can read junk posts.

rated:
yesidonoitall said:   If we can all eat junk food, we can read junk posts.
  Keepin' it real.

rated:
yesidonoitall said:   If we can all eat junk food, we can read junk posts.
  Spoken by a true expert on the matter. 

rated:
The FW members who don't want to have to read junk, who value their time and efforts, and who are the forum members who tend to make the most valuable contributions for the benefit of all, will move on to other venues and not return; everyone loses out.

It's already happened here over the years, as several previous threads in this forum have discussed in depth, and that's fine if that is the site's strategy.

It's also perfectly reasonable for some members to point out that this is a downward trajectory in their eyes (based on how they use the site and based on the value that they perceived it had at its zenith).

It's kind of weird for some regular contributors (who presumably don't have hidden ties to the company) to stick up for nonsense, clutter, and junk, but there are people who wish to be defensive and have the last word no matter what the subject.

C'est la vie; moving on; and they can have their last word:

rated:
NantucketSunrise said:   The FW members who don't want to have to read junk, who value their time and efforts, and who are the forum members who tend to make the most valuable contributions for the benefit of all, will move on to other venues and not return; everyone loses out.
I wouldn't worry too much about this...the exodus of people who are so upset by non-value-added posts (and choose not to use the ratings filter) that they leave will be more than made up for by new users who have a chance to learn the ropes and become valuable contributors in their own right.

rated:
Click my link http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/search/results.php?query=&match=...

and you see a choice of:

* Sort By Relevance 
* Sort By Posted Date
* Sort By Last Message

To make my search faster and easier, I would like to see a "Search By Number of Views"  Fatwallet had that link years ago, Please put it back up - Thanks

rated:
BigBoyMichigan said:   To make my search faster and easier, I would like to see a "Search By Number of Views"  Fatwallet had that link years ago, Please put it back up - Thanks

On a related note, I would like to have the default sort option in searches changed to "Sort by Posted Date," instead of "Sort by Last Message." Sorting by last message always yields a long list of of obscure (to me/most) threads that have little or nothing to do with what I'm searching for. This is so annoying when you are trying to search for recent deals to avoid reposting, looking for recent threads when you want to report a repost, want to find a thread you saw recently, or want to know if there are any active deals on something you want to buy, etc. I've no interest in LA radio codes, radio trivia answers, or the other media contest threads that seam to come up on top no matter what I search for. If you all don't want to make sorting by date the defaul, at the very least (as already exists with the hot deal forum sorting for sorting "by" message, topic, rating, etc.), make whatever sort option is selected the default for that user's account so I don't have to keep selecting sort by date every single time I use the forum search engine.

rated:
fivetalents said:   
BigBoyMichigan said:   To make my search faster and easier, I would like to see a "Search By Number of Views"  Fatwallet had that link years ago, Please put it back up - Thanks

On a related note, I would like to have the default sort option in searches changed to "Sort by Posted Date," instead of "Sort by Last Message." Sorting by last message always yields a long list of of obscure (to me/most) threads that have little or nothing to do with what I'm searching for. This is so annoying when you are trying to search for recent deals to avoid reposting, looking for recent threads when you want to report a repost, want to find a thread you saw recently, or want to know if there are any active deals on something you want to buy, etc. I've no interest in LA radio codes, radio trivia answers, or the other media contest threads that seam to come up on top no matter what I search for. If you all don't want to make sorting by date the defaul, at the very least (as already exists with the hot deal forum sorting for sorting "by" message, topic, rating, etc.), make whatever sort option is selected the default for that user's account so I don't have to keep selecting sort by date every single time I use the forum search engine.

You can change your default search setting in my account>tools & alerts>search tools-preferences.  The direct link is here

rated:
Add to the HOT DEALS new topic posting template a "verified buyer" check box so that it is clear in the original hot deal post that the OP has personally completed the purchase of the deal being described.

An imagined deal can be described with great enthusiasm, and be described as being a certain non-YMMV, but end up wasting the time of all readers who attempt to follow in the OP's footsteps.  Because, only at the end of the day, readers learn that no one, not even the OP, ever achieved the deal, such as here...
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/expired-deals/1384000/

rated:
I want an easy way to find the My Favorite Threads link in the mobile site.

Thanks!

rated:
JiggleTheHandle said:   Add to the HOT DEALS new topic posting template a "verified buyer" check box so that it is clear in the original hot deal post that the OP has personally completed the purchase of the deal being described.

An imagined deal can be described with great enthusiasm, and be described as being a certain non-YMMV, but end up wasting the time of all readers who attempt to follow in the OP's footsteps.  Because, only at the end of the day, readers learn that no one, not even the OP, ever achieved the deal, such as here...
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/expired-deals/1384000/

Yes, require a pic of the receipt to verify the deal worked at  least once.
We have way too many arm chair posters...

rated:
overclock said:   I want an easy way to find the My Favorite Threads link in the mobile site.

Thanks!

Hi overclock!

You can access your favorites (among other things) by clicking the "My Today" button in the top right corner of the mobile forum main page.  Hope that helps!

rated:
MVP9596 said:   overclock said:   I want an easy way to find the My Favorite Threads link in the mobile site.

Thanks!

Hi overclock!

You can access your favorites (among other things) by clicking the "My Today" button in the top right corner of the mobile forum main page.  Hope that helps!

Got it. Thanks!

rated:
That sounds great!

rated:
Please turn off the spam filter for those users who have made thousands of posts and in those thousands of posts never posted spam.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014