• filter:
  • 123 4 521
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Couldn't find an appropriate thread in the Finance Forum to suggest that we provide a glossary with abbreviations used in FWF.

rated:
ThursdaysChild said: Couldn't find an appropriate thread in the Finance Forum to suggest that we provide a glossary with abbreviations used in FWF.Hmm... we'll have to get someone on that! Looks like the Finance FAQ needs help, and abbreviations could go in there when it's updated.

rated:
Any news on bringing back single-click subscriptions as a option?

Anyway, as another suggestion: I enjoy how you can narrow down the view to a specific store. However, would it be possible to do the opposite? That is, can I specify certain stores to exclude from my personal view, as a default?

rated:
chuq said: Any news on bringing back single-click subscriptions as a option?

Anyway, as another suggestion: I enjoy how you can narrow down the view to a specific store. However, would it be possible to do the opposite? That is, can I specify certain stores to exclude from my personal view, as a default?
I haven't received an answer on single-click subscriptions. Regarding exclusions in view-building, we'd love to see that happen. It's not likely this month, but we'll push hard for it in following quarters.

Thanks

rated:
PML said: It would be great to have the option to mark PM's as "unread" after you read them; sometimes you have time to read a PM but not respond to it. It would be helpful as a reminder to reply later if it still appeared unread.

Thank you for implementing this!

rated:
I'd like the ability to delete items from my click history. There are times when specific transactions cannot be completed. These items remain in the history list and FW sends Emails referring to them.
I would prefer to have a "Remove" or "Delete" option next to each item so that I could clean this up.

Moderator Comment: Thanks for the suggestion! "Click history" is just one of those sacred things that we trust to always be complete and we'd rather not alter that. I know it's not what you're asking for, but to note for all: If you'd like to not receive those cash back reminder emails, you can opt out in my account/e-mail notifications: http://www.fatwallet.com/emailnotices.php — Jun. 16, 2008 @ 2:05pm
rated:
could you put the huge warning (the one that comes up when you are about to post in HD) in red or something so that it is more noticeable?

Moderator Comment: We're re-working that posting page and re-writing the verbiage to coach appropriate Hot Deals posts... should have a draft for y'all to review in FW forum in the next couple weeks. It's certainly a challenge to get people's attention at that point! Thanks for the suggestion :) — Jun. 16, 2008 @ 7:36am
rated:
Here's my suggestion:

Do AWAY with the red/green ranking system. It's like bait for the trolls. I honestly don't understand anyway why it's useful at all.

rated:
Hihomumio said: Here's my suggestion:

Do AWAY with the red/green ranking system. It's like bait for the trolls. I honestly don't understand anyway why it's useful at all.
Tried going green-only once (BOOST!)... almost died

We learned there's a significant portion of our community that likes it just the way it is. You're not alone in the suggestion, though, so you can start a thread to measure interest here in the FW forum, or we'll ask about it in a poll down the road. I can almost guarantee none of the smoldering piles of incinerated staff who thought it was a good idea last time will champion it again, though, without serious community support.
Regardless, thanks for the suggestion

rated:
Is there a way to sort the favorite topics? (by Origin date? By Forum type?). I can always use the search (in firefox) to find threads but it will be useful if I can at least sort it by forum.

rated:
footn200 said: BetterDays said: MVP9596 said: BetterDays said: Please bring back the drop down to select forums!!! I have to switch back to Classic just to switch forums when I'm on a computer that I have not logged into FW on!

You can place the forums dropdown on the the subnav bar. You can customize it by clicking edit, then dragging the forums you want there. Additionally, you have the option of adding the entire dropdown menu.

You missed the part about me not being logged in... I can't do what you are suggesting without being logged in, which I'm not during the day.

Why is FW so opposed to bringing back the dropdown? I've been asking for this back for months in modern, and now new modern, as have others, but to no avail. You are seriously underestimating the annoyance factor for your users that are not always logged in, as well as the countless anonymous users you are pissing off as well. It is NOT convenient to have to switch between two screens just to switch forums!
I apologize. Looking into it right now.

Update 6/5 morning: requested forums dropdown be added for un-logged-in viewers (same default set as when logged in)... should be there soon
Update 6/16: Done

Thank you again! I'm a complete convert to new modern now, whether logged in or not!

rated:
footn200 said: Hihomumio said: Here's my suggestion:

We learned there's a significant portion of our community that likes it just the way it is. You're not alone in the suggestion, though, so you can start a thread to measure interest here in the FW forum, or we'll ask about it in a poll down the road. I can almost guarantee none of the smoldering piles of incinerated staff who thought it was a good idea last time will champion it again, though, without serious community support.

Fine then. How about an option to participate or not? The ability to turn it off it you don't want it. Everyone wins then.

rated:
To clarify, you'd like an option in your preferences to hide ratings? I want to be sure I understand your request before pursuing an action here.
Thanks

rated:
I would like to have a choice to remove the ratings option from all messages I post. A simple question in preferences such as "Do you wish to have your own posts rated by other FW members? Yes or No. That's all it really needs to say to allow each member to either turn on or turn off the ratings. So if I post a message, there will be no little negative/neutral/positive circles in the upper right corner of the message box--or maybe the circle icons could be grayed out. Perhaps it might even be best to also say that if you don't want your own posts rated then you also lose the ability to rate others by default. This would suit people like myself who don't really want to bother with the ratings. Let's put it this way-I'd never make a decision on what I'd do or how I spend based on someone else saying yea or nay. Never. I always have to read what everyone else says and then decide what I'll do. So red/yellow/green means nothing to me.

rated:
*If* there were an option to remove ratings, it should be an opt-out on a per-user basis, and should not remove the ability of others to rate threads/posts, but be limited to removing the view of ratings for users who choose that option.

IOW, don't take away my ability to rate threads/posts (and use those ratings in my evaluations of the quality of said posts) just because you don't want your threads/posts rated or you don't find ratings useful.

rated:
tlaxson said: *If* there were an option to remove ratings, it should be an opt-out on a per-user basis, and should not remove the ability of others to rate threads/posts, but be limited to removing the view of ratings for users who choose that option.

IOW, don't take away my ability to rate threads/posts (and use those ratings in my evaluations of the quality of said posts) just because you don't want your threads/posts rated or you don't find ratings useful.

Yes, that is what I am saying. Per user.....which is why I referred to myself and what I will be able to do. If I choose to remove the ratings from my own posts then no one can rate my posts because that choice for my posts will not be available to anyone. If you like to have people rate your posts and you like to rate other peoples posts, then fine you can do that. But you can't rate mine because that option will be turned off in my posts (and as noted above, I in turn can not rate anyone either). This is why I said everyone wins because each person can decide how they want it to be for themselves and no ones decision has any bearing on what someone else decides to do.

I'm not looking to just remove the view of ratings across the board, just to control what happens with my own messages. I don't want anyone rating my messages and I'd be happy to give up the ability to rate other peoples messages to have that control over my own.

rated:
Hihomumio said: If I choose to remove the ratings from my own posts then no one can rate my posts because that choice for my posts will not be available to anyone. If you like to have people rate your posts and you like to rate other peoples posts, then fine you can do that. But you can't rate mine because that option will be turned off in my posts (and as noted above, I in turn can not rate anyone either). This is why I said everyone wins because each person can decide how they want it to be for themselves and no ones decision has any bearing on what someone else decides to do.
Make me understand, because I sure don't. If you can prevent people from rating your posts, how does that decision not prevent me from doing as I want (which is being able to rate your posts)?

Is it being able to see the ratings that you don't want, or the ratings themselves that you don't want?

rated:
Well, you do realize that the "how does your choice not affect my choice" argument could go on indefinitely, right? Of course you do. But as the author of the post, it should be MY decision as to whether the rating system is offered on it or not. Whatever you choose to do with your account preferences is your business. Whatever I choose to do with mine is my business. And since we are referring to what I post, then I should be able to do what I want with it. Just as you should be able to do what you want to do with your own posts. That's really as far as I need to go with this. My feeling is that if you aren't the author then you don't have a right to anything more than reading what I have written. If you disagree, that's fine, because it's not like you can't post your own message too. But why is it necessary that your disagreement not only be noted in a "rebuttal" post but also by marking neutral or neg? It's not like your freedom of speech is being taken away....... I'll say it again: the reason why the rating system isn't a good indicator of anything is because it feeds the many trolls that populate this site. This is the biggest reason why it's inaccurate and therefore virtually useless. I really can't believe that serious bargain shoppers use it for anything.

How about this instead: keep the ratings but make that process much lengthier by putting a series of specific questions that must be answered before the rating will show up? If people have to explain why they are giving a neg as part of the process then perhaps the trolls won't be quite as likely to go around doing it for fun.

rated:
Hihomumio said: But as the author of the post, it should be MY decision as to whether the rating system is offered on it or not.Wrong. The rating system is there to help the community see which posts are valuable and which are not. If you don't want people rating your posts, don't post on FW.

the reason why the rating system isn't a good indicator of anything is because it feeds the many trolls that populate this site. This is the biggest reason why it's inaccurate and therefore virtually useless. I really can't believe that serious bargain shoppers use it for anything.I use the ratings filter extensively in HD, I find it works pretty well. Can you point out examples where it's not working?

If people have to explain why they are giving a neg as part of the process then perhaps the trolls won't be quite as likely to go around doing it for fun.Sorry, but rating a post negative is not "trolling". I agree that it would be useful if reasons could be given for ratings (a la slashdot) but requiring a reason for every vote would cripple the rating system.

rated:
If there are no controls on the ratings system, then there is no way you can say it's a valuable system. Really, there's no way you can prove there's any value to it whatsoever. Simply stating "it's valuable" means nothing at all. Oh, it's true, not all posters here are trolls but I think many, many people here know very well that a ratings system here is useless without any controls to ensure it does have value.

JayK, you are entitled to your opinion as I am entitled to my own. Please though, don't assume that just because you are a member of the community that you have any entitlement to tell another member not to post here (I've been here almost as many years as you have). Last time I looked, this forum is for member suggestions and that is what I am using it for.

So nothing is "wrong" about what I said and I won't be taking any of it back. What is right though is that I should have control over my own account..... and you should have nothing to say about that.

rated:
Hihomumio said: If there are no controls on the ratings system, then there is no way you can say it's a valuable system.Sure I can. I often use the rating system, and it provides value to me. Therefore, it is valuable. Specifically, I use it to filter out low-rated threads in the Hot Deals forum. I'm sorry you don't find it useful (still waiting on those examples of poor ratings BTW) but that's your loss.

JayK, you are entitled to your opinion as I am entitled to my own. Please though, don't assume that just because you are a member of the community that you have any entitlement to tell another member not to post here (I've been here almost as many years as you have).I'm not telling you not to post here, I'm just stating a fact: if you post on FW, other people can vote on your post. The only way to prevent someone from voting on your posts (which you seem to want) is to avoid posting altogether.

Last time I looked, this forum is for member suggestions and that is what I am using it for.You are certainly free to post your suggestions, just as other members of the community are free to tell you that there's no way FW will ever let you prevent people from rating your posts.

Actually there might be a good compromise here - you can prevent people from rating your posts, but all your posts are automatically set to a rating of -999.

So nothing is "wrong" about what I said and I won't be taking any of it back. What is right though is that I should have control over my own account..... and you should have nothing to say about that.You have absolute control over your account: you can hide all the posts below a certain rating threshold, or you can simply ignore ratings altogether. What you can't do is affect how others use the rating system, and that includes their ratings of your posts.

rated:
JayK-

Since you aren't a FW staff member, you and I are finished discussing this. I will wait for a reply from staff regarding my request.

rated:
ThursdaysChild said: Couldn't find an appropriate thread in the Finance Forum to suggest that we provide a glossary with abbreviations used in FWF.

A glossary would probably be a good thing for FW in general. I had a suggestion a while back regarding acronyms/abbreviations, but it would have probably been difficult to implement. A glossary might be nice

rated:
Hihomumio said: JayK-

Since you aren't a FW staff member, you and I are finished discussing this. I will wait for a reply from staff regarding my request.

I think having an option to make your posts UN-rate-able would make the rating system even more inconsistent and flawed than it already is.

As far as the ratings system being useless, the thousand or so people that revolted and picketed the forums when we switched over to BOOST would probably argue with that

I've been a longtime fan of adding some "reason" to the rating system...optional of course.

rated:
Hihomumio said: Since you aren't a FW staff member, you and I are finished discussing this. I will wait for a reply from staff regarding my request.I'm still curious about your assertion that the rating system doesn't work. I assume you don't have any examples to back this up?

rated:
mudley said: Hihomumio said: JayK-

I think having an option to make your posts UN-rate-able would make the rating system even more inconsistent and flawed than it already is.

As far as the ratings system being useless, the thousand or so people that revolted and picketed the forums when we switched over to BOOST would probably argue with that

I've been a longtime fan of adding some "reason" to the rating system...optional of course.

How was a count taken of this? People just complained and what happened next? Was the count done by ratings?????

Look, I stand by what I said about the ratings system here being useless because there are no checks in place to ensure it isn't corrupted by trolls and/or vindictive people hanging around this website. When someone posts what they think is a good deal and gets hit by numerous negs for no apparent reason (and of course it always seems those that post the negs don't take the time to say why they do it) then to me it's pretty clear that people are just trolling. There's no way staff isn't aware of this problem and frankly I'm starting to feel that the integrity of this website is being undermined. Of course, not many will come out and say anything because the FW bully patrol jumps out full force to put people like myself in place (yeah red shirt bully, I'm looking at you). No one wants to be bothered dealing with that crap.

rated:
Hihomumio said: Look, I stand by what I said about the ratings system here being useless because there are no checks in place to ensure it isn't corrupted by trolls and/or vindictive people hanging around this website. When someone posts what they think is a good deal and gets hit by numerous negs for no apparent reason (and of course it always seems those that post the negs don't take the time to say why they do it) then to me it's pretty clear that people are just trolling.Once again, you have failed to back up your statements with concrete examples. Until that happens you probably won't be taken seriously.

I'm sorry you feel that a back-and-forth discussion is the equivalent of "bullying", might I suggest growing a thicker skin?

rated:
footn200 said: Hihomumio said: Here's my suggestion:

Staff member, reporting in... and as I said the first time, please post a thread with your assertions in it and be open for discussion. This thread is for suggestions, yes, which when clarified are then voted upon to demonstrate support or lack there-of.
Thanks

rated:
Here's a suggestion that I wanted to make when the "link to reply" feature first came out but I kept forgetting to mention it. The "chain link" button for linking directly to a reply could be more user-friendly by copying the URL to the clipboard when the button is clicked on. Instead, it just highlights the post you are already looking at. As a workaround, I've been right-clicking on the button to copy the shortcut so I can paste the URL as a link in my own post. But if clicking on a textbox in Photobucket copies the url of a pic to your clipboard, then I don't see any reason why an image can't do the same thing in FW.

rated:
Replace the google ads with LOLcats.

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

Example 4

Example 5

Example 6

Example 7

Example 8

Example 9

These are only a few examples of what a LOLFAT partnership haz to offer.

I think this approach will really drive traffic and repeat visits to the site, and encourage people to click on threads, because you never know what kitteh youz gonna getz. :3

rated:
Remove the maximum number of items restriction from the grey bar at the top. I tried to add groc deals, but it said I had reached max, so I removed one, and tried to add another but it still won't let me saying I'm at max. Widescreen monitor = plenty of room.

Edit: I changed font size to smaller and now I can add more, HAHAHA! (weird)

rated:
kronus said: Remove the maximum number of items restriction from the grey bar at the top. I tried to add groc deals, but it said I had reached max, so I removed one, and tried to add another but it still won't let me saying I'm at max. Widescreen monitor = plenty of room.

Edit: I changed font size to smaller and now I can add more, HAHAHA! (weird)

Yes, I had that problem too. The workaround is to refresh the page after you removed one.

rated:
Is it possible to create custom views? For example, if I want to see all posts by Mr. C across all forums and then make that as my default view on FW.

Ok - if not a default view, how about just saving that as a shotcut so I can get to them easily? I mean - if I know the search parameters, I can save that string/url as a shortcut. That would be an easier way to do a quick search for my own commonly read topics.

Moderator Comment: I think the idea of YOUR FatWallet is one we need to pursue, building on the idea of creating views you want (by member, etc). Thanks :) — Jul. 8, 2008 @ 7:48am
rated:
When we send a mod alert, we get an acknowledgement with the title of the thread. The mod's response to that alert should also have the title of the thread.

Moderator Comment: Seems reasonable; I'll see what we can do. Thanks :) — Jul. 8, 2008 @ 7:49am
rated:
Actually just a suggestion to "Fat Wallet" that people use the RED to block the item from their favorite list because that item they're simply not interested in that "Promotion" Fat Wallet should have a separate marking for a Negative, Positive deal, & Not Interested in that product button that way, You wouldn't see that many errors in the first place. Have a great Day

rated:
BigBoyMichigan said: Actually just a suggestion to "Fat Wallet" that people use the RED to block the item from their favorite list because that item they're simply not interested in that "Promotion" Fat Wallet should have a separate marking for a Negative, Positive deal, & Not Interested in that product button that way, You wouldn't see that many errors in the first place. Have a great Day Every thread has a "not interested" button next to it in the topic view, just to the left of the ratings bar. Looks like a circle with a line through it.

rated:
not sure if this has been mentioned before, but would it be possible to enhance the pm feature so we could have a "friends list" and the option to receive pm's from:
  • everyone

• no one (block all pm's)

• friends list only

while retaining the ability to also block individual members?

Moderator Comment: I'm guessing this is possible if enough of our community support the idea. Thanks :) — Jul. 8, 2008 @ 7:51am
rated:
I would like to see a way to search for products in the Cash Back & coupon section instead of going to the web first and then coming back to fatwallet.

For example, if someone was looking for computer speakers, they could search for them via fatwallet and get a list of results. These results could be sorted by the user in anyway she/he likes.

Fatwallet could also do a comparison with other product website like bizrate, froogle, etc, and show if the deal they offer is better or worse then the one on other product websites.

Moderator Comment: I'd love to see dramatic improvements in shopping potential/functionality at FW, particularly a way to meld our community-generated deals with store-generated deals... and more powerful search and price comparison tools. Thanks :) — Jul. 8, 2008 @ 7:56am
rated:
DJ, we do sort of have that. You can access it by clicking Compare Prices a the top of the page.

rated:
You need a mechanism to alert members to important new functions and forums. Many members don't know about the fatwallet forum, and others (like me) don't think to check hot deals just to find out about new functions (which is where you've posted "new matters" in the past).

Two suggestions:

On the home page for those who are not logged in, put the link to the Welcome forum in its own box with an explanation of what it's about. Maybe list the stickied threads, too.

You spammed us with a PM when you found we were not using the new modern view, so how about using that capability to tell all members about new functions like ignore user and new forums (fora?) like Welcome and Grocery.

Moderator Comment: Thanks, and true. We've long-wished for an announcements area. I can (and do) now update the announcements on Today page. As for Welcome Forum, we'll keep rounding it out and pointing people to it from more places. As always, thanks for chiming in. :) — Jul. 14, 2008 @ 4:41pm
  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014