• filter:
  • 14 5 67823
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Thanks Bot:

I think it would help preserve the sanity of the readers of Fatwallet to invest in developing a "Thanks Bot". What the bot would do is take up a small space under the initial post; no more than 200 pixels high. Instead of posters saying "thanks op!" or "thanks for this" or any other thank you message, they can push a button to thank the poster. Then, the bot would display a message like "## of people have thanked dealposter1 for this deal." And then if people care enough, they can hit a button like "expand" to see the names of people that thanked the OP.

It would still keep the pleasantry of thanking the poster, but give important posting space to the individuals who are contributing to the details of the offer.

rated:
cedarpointfan said: Thanks Bot:

I think it would help preserve the sanity of the readers of Fatwallet to invest in developing a "Thanks Bot". What the bot would do is take up a small space under the initial post; no more than 200 pixels high. Instead of posters saying "thanks op!" or "thanks for this" or any other thank you message, they can push a button to thank the poster. Then, the bot would display a message like "## of people have thanked dealposter1 for this deal." And then if people care enough, they can hit a button like "expand" to see the names of people that thanked the OP.
The "thanks bot" already exists, it's the "+" button at the right side of the post. If you click the ratings bar for that post, you can see a list of everyone who has clicked the + button.

rated:
I'm well aware, and I don't see the thread rating system being in the same league. I myself have been guilty of rating a thread green and thanking the poster. I relate it to real life, really. Clicking "Thank You" translates to thanking the individual, and rating their thread green translates to telling other people about the deal.

It's not so much to please the individual posting, because seeing that long green bar is pleasing enough. It's about keeping the posts relevant to the topic.

rated:
It seems "thanks" and "ratings" and "reputation" are variously related from different perspectives.

Personally, I have wished for a multiple rating system that (somehow) allows rating the quality of deal, product, store... maybe more? post itself? I'd like it to be readily apparent if the community reds or greens the deal and product but hates the store (or some other combination). Then I can base my decision on what's most important to me.

Using a recent example, a member might post a super hot deal on a great product from Buy.com and have the rating suffer because an element of our community had a bad experience with that retailer. If someone else likes Buy.com or isn't worried about past rebate performance, then the deal might be better than our currently undefined rating shows.

Thanks for bringing it up.
Focused discussion now Here.

rated:
Like other FW members suggest, we could have reputation points such as at SD. That way, we know which members are reputable and trustworthy and which who are working their way there.

rated:
Do we have a way of responding to several different quotes in one reply like this without cutting and pasting to a notepad then pasting back to a reply box?

rated:
ThursdaysChild said: Do we have a way of responding to several different quotes in one reply like this without cutting and pasting to a notepad then pasting back to a reply box?

here's how i do it (still some copy/paste...but doesn't involve any other windows.

click the first quote button. this will take you to the reply page with the quote.
add your reply, when you're done, copy the entire contents of the reply box (your reply and the quote)

instead of clicking the Reply button (that submits your reply), scroll down and click the next Quote button.
now, paste in your previous reply directly above the new quote. add a hard return (enter button)

now you can type your 2nd reply after the 2nd quote.

you can do this to as many times as you want

rated:
This either counts as a suggestion or a "how the heck do you do this" post.

In Classic, while replying or quoting, if I wanted to link to a post in another thread, it wasn't too cumbersome, although it sounds that way:

1. Open up another browser section and go to FWF.

2. Find the thread and copy the URL to the clipboard.

3. Switch to the post in the first browser session, click as appropriate on http or https, paste the URL from the second browser session, and press Enter.

4. Switch to the second browser session and copy the thread title to the clipboard.

5. Switch to the post in the first browser session, paste the thread title, and press Enter.

If there's a more efficient way to do what I'm describing, please don't hesitate to tell me. The issue is the part I put in boldface. In the thread display function in FW Modern, the thread titles are links! I don't know of a way to copy just the text from a link, at least in FW. In Classic, thread titles aren't linked and are thus easy to copy to the clipboard.

One work-around I've found is: In the second session, reply or quote the post you're linking to or another post in the thread. That should bring up a window where the thread title is unlinked.

Unless someone can think of an easy way around this problem, I'd like to bring back the refresh link while in a topic and leave the topic title unlinked -- unless, as I said, I'm missing something here.

Moderator Comment: Point taken that our "add a link" interface could improve. Regarding copying a thread title, it's still possible by highlighting end to end rather than clicking... I think you'll get an option to "copy" in that case. Thanks for bringing this up. :) — Jul. 23, 2008 @ 7:08am
rated:
Since people don't read FAQ's, for new members have common abbreviations (YMMV, etc) show up as a certain color link (to differentiate from regular links like stores and CashBack) that go to the acronym page. Once they see that a reference like this exists, there can be a button on the top of the page to turn off the linking. The links can even just go to an anchor tag on a main FAQ page with the option button displayed prominently there. Another implementation would be as popup tooltips that appear when the abbreviations are hovered over, again giving the user the option there to quickly turn them off when they have learned them.

There are many variations of this idea, whose underlying premise is to just put the information there for people to quickly help themselves to it, while easily being given the option as to when they have learned it and want to turn it off.

(P.S. I'm disappointed no one liked my lolcats idea above... I think we can still work it in somewhere.... )

Moderator Comment: Interesting... we do get those questions all the time, and only from people who are persistent and bold enough to ask (rather than simply leave). As you said, would require a way to turn it off somehow so as not to annoy those not interested. Thanks :) — Jul. 23, 2008 @ 7:12am
rated:
I don't know if it has already been suggested, but how about a giveaway for "A Day at Fatwallet" where 1-10 lucky winners get to hang at the FW stomping grounds for a day?

rated:
Man, who would wanna win that? We only have 3 pinball machines, the pool table hasn't been being used much at all lately, the shuffleboard game needs a new dusting, and we only have the one massage chair!

squid3 said: I don't know if it has already been suggested, but how about a giveaway for "A Day at Fatwallet" where 1-10 lucky winners get to hang at the FW stomping grounds for a day?

rated:
jely said: Man, who would wanna win that? We only have 3 pinball machines, the pool table hasn't been being used much at all lately, the shuffleboard game needs a new dusting, and we only have the one massage chair!

squid3 said: I don't know if it has already been suggested, but how about a giveaway for "A Day at Fatwallet" where 1-10 lucky winners get to hang at the FW stomping grounds for a day?

Well if the pool table hasn't been used much than it sounds like I could win myself some FatCash

rated:
I like how the specialty stores like Petco and PETsMART have such good rewards. With gas and all sky high, I was wondering specialty stores like performance bike be included. Thanks.

rated:
how about when we hover the mouse over the thread, we can preview the first few words (like SD )

rated:
I think it would help quite a bit to add to the " STOP! You are about to post in the HOT DEALS category..." message that comes up when you are about to post in HOT DEALS. Maybe underneath in red, put something like, "If this is a grocery deal, please post it in the NEW grocery forum." (Possibly even with a link to the grocery forum.)

This would not only help put the right deals in the right forum, but also it would make people more aware of the grocery forum so that more people might frequent it.

Just a thought.

Moderator Comment: Thanks! Reworking that message right now. :) — Aug. 4, 2008 @ 8:15am
rated:
Moderator, thanks for explaining that the hyperlink text can indeed by copied and pasted by positioning the arrow just before the hyperlink and dragging the arrow over it in order to select it.

My apologies if you've already implemented this, but I'd like to make sure that the Hot Deals leader board trophy or whatever displays for a recipient only in the recipient's posts in the HD forum. IOW, the trophy wouldn't display if you were looking at the recipient's posts in the Finance Forum, where the trophy has no relevance. Thanks!

Moderator Comment: Good point; hadn't thought about it from quite that perspective. We'll keep in mind as we develop "contribution markers" for other forums... we need to be clear how each marker was earned (if shown in every forum). — Aug. 4, 2008 @ 8:27am
rated:
PML said: TM1 said: PML said: If you were to implement the "who's logged on" feature, please make it an option to keep your status private if you so choose.

Private status and hide your posts....sounds like you have a lot to hide. Why are you here then, this is not an anonymous Internet site.

Wow, that didn't take you long.

My reasons don't concern you. I have a right to my opinion same as you.

I can understand your ability to hide your status, and would probably take advantage of that as well; however, in regards to hiding your posts; I we'll have to agree to disagree on that point, as I often lookup users to see if they are trolling so the ability to see their previous post history is extremely beneficial to me (and I'm sure many others).

Giving a user the ability to hide all their posts pretty much allows them to mask their sometimes not so obvious trolls which in my opinion will detract from the quality of the forums.

rated:
I'd like to see a duplicate check be performed before a deal is posted to a forum. If I post a deal and then another user posts a deal maybe some fuzzy logic could look at all the current items in forum X and based on the % threshold figure out if there is too much in common...aka a duplicate.

Also, to expand that thought, I think it would an improvement if during the thread submission process you provided a spot to provide a URL of the deal you are posting. Still you'd be able to post it in the comments area; however, I think a little FW standardization could be useful to organize core info. For example; the CashBack blurb in appropriate deals is easy to spot & read; it would be nice if that could be implemented with the core details of the posting.

EDIT: I just re-read that and I'm not sure it makes sense. If you read it and are left scratching your head send a PM I'll try harder.

rated:
munkyxtc said: I'd like to see a duplicate check be performed before a deal is posted to a forum. If I post a deal and then another user posts a deal maybe some fuzzy logic could look at all the current items in forum X and based on the % threshold figure out if there is too much in common...aka a duplicate.

Also, to expand that thought, I think it would an improvement if during the thread submission process you provided a spot to provide a URL of the deal you are posting. Still you'd be able to post it in the comments area; however, I think a little FW standardization could be useful to organize core info. For example; the CashBack blurb in appropriate deals is easy to spot & read; it would be nice if that could be implemented with the core details of the posting.

EDIT: I just re-read that and I'm not sure it makes sense. If you read it and are left scratching your head send a PM I'll try harder.
FW is working on a Hot Deals "posting wizard" to help provide a standard template for new topics.

rated:
jayK said: FW is working on a Hot Deals "posting wizard" to help provide a standard template for new topics.

Cool. That's the first I've heard about it so I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

Moderator Comment: Yes! Available for testing sometime in the next 8 days or so. We also hope to add the fuzzy logic duplicate thingie once the basic posting template is alive and well. Thanks, munkyxtc and jayK :) — Aug. 5, 2008 @ 3:10pm
rated:
Please update Modern to resemble Classic -

when you lock a thread, indicate that it's locked in the posts

when you archive a thread, indicate at the TOP of the page that it is archived

Thank you

rated:
I very much appreciate the "x unread" link that takes you directly to the first unread post since you last viewed the thread. Can this same link be included in PMs we receive when new content is posted to a subscribed thread? Along the same lines, can this same link also be included in the list of thread subscriptions?

rated:
Regarding archived threads:

1. I think it would be useful to preserve the ratings of the thread and the posts. If a post was good/bad then, it's probably the same now. Disk space is cheap, right?

2. It would be great if there were some way to "revive" an archived thread, especially if it's a short one, without having to start a new active thread.

Feel free to clue me in if I'm overlooking something with these two suggestions. Thanks!

rated:
discusbabe said: not sure if this has been mentioned before, but would it be possible to enhance the pm feature so we could have a "friends list" and the option to receive pm's from:
  • everyone

• no one (block all pm's)

• friends list only

while retaining the ability to also block individual members?

Couldn't copy the mod comment "if enough of the community supports this..."

I believe I suggested this months ago in the old suggestions thread. Thanks, discusbabe, for bringing it up. Anyone else interested?

rated:
From the thread "Messages Initiated from Member's PM Page"

KayK said: ThursdaysChild said: The origin message on the PM I just sent didn't make any sense (so I deleted it): something to the effect of "message originated from tombstone" -- whatever does "tombstone" mean in that context?heh.. tombstone page..
it means you clicked on someone's avatar, and then you sent a PM from the popup profile page.

But who refers to it as tombstone page? maybe "profile popup" would be a better choice.

I'd prefer to have the origin line read "message originated from XYZ thread" -- who cares whether you sent a PM from your PM page or from an avatar within a thread? (except maybe the staff who are tracking these things, in which case there must be some background way of doing it).

Edit - OK, now I see it. If you send the message from the PM button itself (under the avatar) it does say the message it originates from. If you click on the avatar and THEN click on the PM button it says "sent from the tombstone." I don't know why it discriminates (probably some arcane coding reason) but I agree with KayK that "sent from profile popup" would be better.

rated:
Two ideas:
1. A newbies forum. I like that idea. A place to put dumb questions or where /how do I put/do this? I think it would be much easier find, locate and update FAQs, notice trends, and centralize that sort of stuff.

2. State or Regional forums. That way local business' get supported v. big chains only. It also would be nice for local discussions of who does what, price matches, weekend sales, local coupons/flyers, local referrals, good/bad reviews, going out of business sales - at least to see what the interest level was like. I know a lot of time when I travel, the best deals are not national and it'd be nice to check a forum. I can see that might be true even in my own area.

rated:
du2vye said: Two ideas:
1. A newbies forum. I like that idea. A place to put dumb questions or where /how do I put/do this? I think it would be much easier find, locate and update FAQs, notice trends, and centralize that sort of stuff.

Welcome Forum

rated:
Since we tend to see a lot of repetition of the same questions over at FatWallet Finance, such as questions that are best referred to the Reward Checking Accounts - Issues and Discussion thread, I'd like to be able to compose a standard reply to that kind of post, save it, and then be able to use that post for a reply. It would save lots of typing, and I think the ability to save several posts of this nature would be very valuable.

I'm not saying that implementing this type of feature would be trivial (I've no idea), but you asked for suggestions, so I'll take you at your word.

rated:
glxpass said: Since we tend to see a lot of repetition of the same questions over at FatWallet Finance, such as questions that are best referred to the Reward Checking Accounts - Issues and Discussion thread, I'd like to be able to compose a standard reply to that kind of post, save it, and then be able to use that post for a reply. It would save lots of typing, and I think the ability to save several posts of this nature would be very valuable.

I'm not saying that implementing this type of feature would be trivial (I've no idea), but you asked for suggestions, so I'll take you at your word.

I agree that it would be useful to have some standard replies available. Perhaps they could be put in the Finance FAQ.

Perhaps they could be stashed somewhere, with links provided in the QS of the relevant threads. For example, when someone
Starts a new thread about Reward checking accounts, any FWF member could go to that existing thread, click on a link in the QS,
and have the standard reply available for cutting and pasting.

Or Members could be provided with a small amount of personal storage space for text files.

rated:
kenmoreland said: glxpass said: Since we tend to see a lot of repetition of the same questions over at FatWallet Finance, such as questions that are best referred to the Reward Checking Accounts - Issues and Discussion thread, I'd like to be able to compose a standard reply to that kind of post, save it, and then be able to use that post for a reply. It would save lots of typing, and I think the ability to save several posts of this nature would be very valuable.

I agree that it would be useful to have some standard replies available. Perhaps they could be put in the Finance FAQ.

Perhaps they could be stashed somewhere, with links provided in the QS of the relevant threads. For example, when someone
Starts a new thread about Reward checking accounts, any FWF member could go to that existing thread, click on a link in the QS,
and have the standard reply available for cutting and pasting.

Or Members could be provided with a small amount of personal storage space for text files.

I was thinking more along the lines of putting message templates into one's personal storage space (with a description of the message), and having a special quote/reply option that would allow you to select the message you wanted to use from a drop-down menu, and copy/paste the selected message.

rated:
I don't know if anybody mentioned this, but I would like it if we can attach files in our posts (like SD). Then, if we would like to share a scanned receipt or coupon, we can do that. Thanks!

rated:
isn't there something fw can do about members abusing the red/green rating system?! Take gr8lksguy for example, he redded almost every post on a particular thread without any rhyme or reason and it really dissrupts our community. thnx

rated:
How about the ability to search PMs? (Sometimes I want to find info someone sent, more than 20 PMs ago so not in "recent history" but I don't know the username...

-cd

rated:
NM

rated:
How about making one's list of subscribed thread (when viewed by clicking the "[un-]subscribe to topic" link in threads) hyperlinked! (Sometimes I want to quickly access a thread, and this, to me, would be the easiest way to get there.)

-cd

rated:
crazypalooza said: isn't there something fw can do about members abusing the red/green rating system?! Take gr8lksguy for example, he redded almost every post on a particular thread without any rhyme or reason and it really dissrupts our community. thnxWhich thread?

You can alert the mods if you think a specific user is abusing the rating system.

rated:
Navigation in Modern view:

1. On the forum page, navigation controls should be not just at the bottom of the page, but the top as well, so that subsequent subsequent previous, next page requests can be done without having to page-down to get to the bottom of the screen.

2. On the a topic page that has multiple pages (especially lots of them), ideally, all of the page numbers should show so that with one click you can go to a specific page. Believe or not, if sometimes I actually remember where a specific post is that I want to re-check.

3. If showing all page numbers is impractical, then there's a problem with the explicit range of page numbers that are shown. Let's say the page numbers show as 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30. If you click on page 26, you know see 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 30. I don't understand the ... between 29 and 30, and I'd think you'd want to see more than one page number prior to page 26; after all, you're possibly shifting how you're looking at the thread.

Thanks!

ETA:

4. I almost forgot. On a topic page in Modern view, there's still no next page, previous page functionality, not to mention first page, last page (except for selecting the first and last page numbers. In the "spirit" of Modern, I'd imagine we'd have >, <, <<, >> symbols, and, of course at the bottom and top of each page.

I think the above changes are important because they affect the day-to-day (really session-to-session) usability of FatWallet.

Now for the carping section:

Although I find those "Moderator Comment" inserts between posts interesting, we don't know who the moderator was who wrote the comment and we can't directly reply to the comment.

And I haven't seen any staff/moderator responses to a number of recent suggestions. Without any feedback from the staff/moderators, I don't see any reason to keep posting suggestions.

Edit: removed Oh's.

rated:
Is there a way to just PM the moderator?

Every time I want to do that, I have to just randomly select a thread and choose the "alert mods" button from there. lol

rated:
iceui2 said: Is there a way to just PM the moderator?

Every time I want to do that, I have to just randomly select a thread and choose the "alert mods" button from there. lol

Sorry I should have put in my forum ID so you could respond to me. I just responded to the alert. I forgot that it goes out as "moderator."

rated:
Also, we're actively pursuing a better member/mod communication method. We really don't ever want to stick you in a no-reply situation when it comes to moderation... well, there might be times/people

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014