• filter:
  • 12 3 4522
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
For the Hot Deals Forum, how about a sticky index to the "Official" threads? Without an index, I don't even know many official clearance, coupon and FAR items threads are buried out there and how many deals I have missed because they were posted to one of those threads instead of starting a new thread.

rated:
FutureDilemma said: For the Hot Deals Forum, how about a sticky index to the "Official" threads? Without an index, I don't even know many official clearance, coupon and FAR items threads are buried out there and how many deals I have missed because they were posted to one of those threads instead of starting a new thread.Not a bad idea... the FAQ certainly needs to be updated and could include that. For now, you can get good results doing a title search for "official" in Hot Deals. Thanks for the suggestion.

rated:
Suggestion:

Place radio/local only contests in it's own folder. When I go to the contests page, the first page or so is almost completely contests or sweepstakes for San Diego radio stations. Me being not from San Diego, find this worthless.

Thanks.

Moderator Comment: I hope to be improving categorization (to allow exclusions) and moving to other forums, which I think would address your concern. Thanks! :) — May. 15, 2008 @ 10:50am
rated:
One of the most useful features I've found in Beta is the "jump to unread post".

Huge timesaver when you can just pick up where you left off, and not have to hunt for where the new posts start. The one place where that isn't available is under the "Favorites" menu. I can't decide which is easier--seeing there has been an update in a favorite

--do I go to the parent forum and scroll through the threads to find it and use the jump to unread (though it might be buried a page or two down)

--do I click on 'last' option to jump to last page, and scroll around until I find where the new messages start (sometimes means backtracking a page if there are lots of new messages)

All the while, I'm wishing I could just 'jump to unread' directly from the favorites list.

Moderator Comment: Good idea; I'll see how soon it's do-able :) — May. 15, 2008 @ 10:51am
rated:
Once I've searched a topic and found my answers, I'd like to go back to the topic, either first or last page, without going back to the forum topic list and clicking on the topic heading again.

Is there a way to do this that I haven't noticed? If not, could you add it?

rated:
ThursdaysChild said: Once I've searched a topic and found my answers, I'd like to go back to the topic, either first or last page, without going back to the forum topic list and clicking on the topic heading again.

Sorry, I'm not completely following you. Where would you be at when you want to navigate to first or last page of a topic already visited? If you can help me understand, I'll get an answer for you

rated:
footn200 said: ThursdaysChild said: Once I've searched a topic and found my answers, I'd like to go back to the topic, either first or last page, without going back to the forum topic list and clicking on the topic heading again.

Sorry, I'm not completely following you. Where would you be at when you want to navigate to first or last page of a topic already visited? If you can help me understand, I'll get an answer for you
Say I'm in this topic (FW Member Suggestions). I use the search box to look for the word "ignore." I get a document (?technical term?) of all posts with the word "ignore." Now I want to leave that "ignore-only" document and go back to the full FW Member Suggestions thread, which is where I started, so I can read other posts. Is there a way to go directly back to the full Suggestions thread without going to Forums - Topic List - Suggestion thread?

rated:
An on-site "Back" button? (Following your scenario, I right-clicked and chose "back")

rated:
footn200 said: An on-site "Back" button? (Following your scenario, I right-clicked and chose "back")Thanks. I guess that was just to easy for me to think of.

rated:
I wish I could have an email alert sent when a certain word is posted in a certain thread.

...and 60 seconds to fix my spelling mistakes... seriously, no one uses the preview button...

Moderator Comment: Hmmm... an in-thread keyword alert? Interesting. The 60 (or 120) second edit-less edit window is not getting good support so far. Some like it; others don't. — May. 19, 2008 @ 12:06pm
rated:
kronus said: I wish I could have an email alert sent when a certain word is posted in a certain thread.

...and 60 seconds to fix my spelling mistakes... seriously, no one uses the preview button...
Or a spellcheck built into the system for us dyslexics who can't see a typo even if we use preview.

The last time I requested a spellcheck some kind soul told me of a spellcheck program I could download & use with FW. Unfortunately, it totally creashed my computer.

rated:
Please add email notification to private messages. I have had messages sit in my inbox for weeks because I don't remember to check.

While you're at it make the Inbox more prominent when there is a message unread. Maybe red or something to really catch your attention. Honestly, I visit FW every single day and 99% of the times I don't even glance at the Messages section.

What ever happened to donating Cash Back? Would love yo have that option

rated:
You can get email notification of private messages in My Account/Email Preferences here. A more prominent notice on-site still isn't a bad idea.

For now, you can enter a charity name and address to have your Cash Back sent to. Thanks

rated:
footn200 said: You can get email notification of private messages in My Account/Email Preferences here. A more prominent notice on-site still isn't a bad idea.

For now, you can enter a charity name and address to have your Cash Back sent to. Thanks

OMG THANK YOU!! I have been here forever but somehow missed that

rated:
There was a period after the upgrade when one-click subscription was enabled that allowed me to subscribe to the current thread without taking me to my list of active subscriptions. Was that disabled for a reason and if so, can it be made an option in our preferences?

rated:
chuq said: There was a period after the upgrade when one-click subscription was enabled that allowed me to subscribe to the current thread without taking me to my list of active subscriptions. Was that disabled for a reason and if so, can it be made an option in our preferences?Hmm... not sure about that. I'll check and get back to you with an answer.

rated:
I know this has been brought up before, but I am going to suggest it again.

Many new threads in FWF are not appropriate. Long time members who ignore
the FAQs get what they deserve, but new members are sometimes being
hung out to dry. New members should be blocked from starting a new topic
with a notice that says something like this:

New members are not allowed to create new topics at this time.

Please consider making your post in one of the existing threads, such
as the Flame Free Zone, the Tax Q & A, or the What Credit Card should I get....

If you still feel that you must create a new topic please do
something something something, and you may be allowed to create one.

Moderator Comment: We're discussing options in this regard. Thanks :) — May. 21, 2008 @ 2:54pm
rated:
kenmoreland said: I know this has been brought up before, but I am going to suggest it again.

Categories (once they are implemented in FWF) should solve this problem nicely - newbie posts go in the newbie category, which you would be able to filter out.

rated:
jayK said: kenmoreland said: I know this has been brought up before, but I am going to suggest it again.

Categories (once they are implemented in FWF) should solve this problem nicely - newbie posts go in the newbie category, which you would be able to filter out.

Is the newbies category going to be flame free?

I don't want to ignore all of the newbie posts, and I think FWF and the new members might be better served if they were forced to follow the rules. Many new posters get red for their post, which they don't understand, get sarcastic responses which they don't understand, and end up with, in my opinion, the wrong idea about FWF.

rated:
kenmoreland said: jayK said: kenmoreland said: I know this has been brought up before, but I am going to suggest it again.

Is the newbies category going to be flame free?

I don't want to ignore all of the newbie posts, and I think FWF and the new members might be better served if they were forced to follow the rules. Many new posters get red for their post, which they don't understand, get sarcastic responses which they don't understand, and end up with, in my opinion, the wrong idea about FWF.

I nominate this for post of the month. Thanks for sharing your opinions!

How would you go about "forcing" them to follow the rules?

rated:
I think the intent was to "help" them follow the rules

rated:
Right, I just wondered what his ideas were

rated:
MVP9596 said: Right, I just wondered what his ideas were

In my initial post here,
I suggested new members be prevented from starting a new topic.

My thought was that the new topic button give them a popup that says consider posting
in one of the existing threads. If they still thought a new thread was
warranted they could make a request to a moderator.

This would give new members a chance to learn a little bit about FWF, before they
they opt for a lesson on some of the unofficial rules the hard way.

Actually, my initial post was a bit presumptive, since I don't really know what all the rules are, in part
because FWF seems to be different things to different people. Mostly this is a good thing, I think.

rated:
kenmoreland said: Is the newbies category going to be flame free?I would think so - the only people who will be reading posts in the newbie category (besides newbies) are people who WANT to see newbie posts.

I don't want to ignore all of the newbie posts, and I think FWF and the new members might be better served if they were forced to follow the rules. Many new posters get red for their post, which they don't understand, get sarcastic responses which they don't understand, and end up with, in my opinion, the wrong idea about FWF.The people who rate those posts negatively and leave sarcastic responses are probably the same people who will filter out the newbie category. The current flame-free sticky in FWF seems to work well, the newbie category would simply be a multithreaded version of that sticky.

Allowing new users to only post in the newbie category might be helpful, the newbie's thread can always be recategorized later.

rated:
I'd like to see the ability to create our own stickies that only we can see ourselves.

rated:
Please bring back the drop down to select forums!!! I have to switch back to Classic just to switch forums when I'm on a computer that I have not logged into FW on!

rated:
How about a "turn off highlighting" button? Say you search for a thread, find it and want to read it, but now it's full of highlighting from the keywords you searched. It can be distracting. Just a simple button somewhere to break the highlighting which would be easier than deleting the highlight command in the URL.

rated:
BetterDays said: Please bring back the drop down to select forums!!! I have to switch back to Classic just to switch forums when I'm on a computer that I have not logged into FW on!

You can place the forums dropdown on the the subnav bar. You can customize it by clicking edit, then dragging the forums you want there. Additionally, you have the option of adding the entire dropdown menu.

rated:
sinik said: How about a "turn off highlighting" button? Say you search for a thread, find it and want to read it, but now it's full of highlighting from the keywords you searched. It can be distracting. Just a simple button somewhere to break the highlighting which would be easier than deleting the highlight command in the URL.If it's the whole thread you've searched out (and not specific posts), you can click on the title to re-load without the highlighting. You can also click the (chain)link next to timestamp in a post to see it without highlighting. Let us know if you're looking for something else.

rated:
Getting back to the new member posting controversy, I suggest that FW add another category of member. I feel silly when I check how long a "new" member has been around and discover that they've been here for years, they just haven't hit the 20-post mark to become a regular "member."

I propose that "new" member be reserved for those who have been here a certain length of time. If the number of posts is important to someone, another title could be created for those who've been here longer than that "new" period but haven't posted much -- "silent" member?

Example: someone who registered in May 08 would continue to be a "new" member until August 08. They would have posting privileges after they'd been registered a full month but could not start a new thread until August.

FW already automatically allows us to give ourselves a new title when we've been registered for a full year, so it shouldn't be impossible to set this up.

rated:
What would be the reason for wanting this? What impact is it having on site functionality now that it would be needed?

rated:
TM1 said: What would be the reason for wanting this? What impact is it having on site functionality now that it would be needed?Assuming you're referring to my modest proposal -- we've been talking about preventing new members from posting or at least from starting topics. But in the present scheme of things "new" merely means someone who hasn't posted a certain number of times (20?). Preventing "new" members from starting new topics would mean that someone who registered in 2003 but hasn't posted much is still "new" and regardless of how many times s/he has followed the rules, s/he would have to post a bunch of "thank you"s in Free Stuff or other fluffy posts in order to have enough posts to become a full-fledged member and be able to start a thread.

The reason for another title is so as not to confuse "new to the board" members who would not be allowed to start new threads with "just haven't posted much (formerly known as "new") members" who are deemed to have been around long enough to know what to do.

Setting up a waiting period would (one hopes) prevent a few alts and trolls from entertaining themselves at our expense.

rated:
I think the idea around the "wizard" for creating a thread would solve this problem for old and new members. Plenty of the seasoned veterans make mistakes too, they are just treated better than new members. I am not sure that I believe restricting anybody from posting is a good idea myself. But offering guidance or some type of wizard/template would be a better way to go. There are people here that have a few years under their belts and thousands of posts, every one of them "thanks OP" in the FS forum. I don't think they have any for value than a new person posting a great detail but getting beat up because they left out a piece of info or something like that. FW has always been all-inclusive.

I am not sure what the solution is to exterminate alts and trolls, but I'll pay money for that!

rated:
ThursdaysChild said: Assuming you're referring to my modest proposal -- we've been talking about preventing new members from posting or at least from starting topics. But in the present scheme of things "new" merely means someone who hasn't posted a certain number of times (20?).Agreed, the title system definitely needs an improvement. The "new" title in particular confuses a lot of people.

Plus there's nothing above Senior Member 10K.

rated:
Thanks for suggestions and comments

We'll be showing a draft of a Hot Deals Posting Wizard later this week to get your impressions and suggestions.
We'll be requiring first-time topic posts to be mod approved soon (now?) in an effort to nip spammers and such in the bud.
I'd like to focus more attention on welcoming, coaching, etc for new members over the coming months.
Finally, I can see better titles than what we have... but it might be a little while before we tweak those.

Peace ~Steve

rated:
MVP9596 said: BetterDays said: Please bring back the drop down to select forums!!! I have to switch back to Classic just to switch forums when I'm on a computer that I have not logged into FW on!

You can place the forums dropdown on the the subnav bar. You can customize it by clicking edit, then dragging the forums you want there. Additionally, you have the option of adding the entire dropdown menu.

You missed the part about me not being logged in... I can't do what you are suggesting without being logged in, which I'm not during the day.

Why is FW so opposed to bringing back the dropdown? I've been asking for this back for months in modern, and now new modern, as have others, but to no avail. You are seriously underestimating the annoyance factor for your users that are not always logged in, as well as the countless anonymous users you are pissing off as well. It is NOT convenient to have to switch between two screens just to switch forums!

rated:
BetterDays said: MVP9596 said: BetterDays said: Please bring back the drop down to select forums!!! I have to switch back to Classic just to switch forums when I'm on a computer that I have not logged into FW on!

You missed the part about me not being logged in... I can't do what you are suggesting without being logged in, which I'm not during the day.

Why is FW so opposed to bringing back the dropdown? I've been asking for this back for months in modern, and now new modern, as have others, but to no avail. You are seriously underestimating the annoyance factor for your users that are not always logged in, as well as the countless anonymous users you are pissing off as well. It is NOT convenient to have to switch between two screens just to switch forums!
I apologize. Looking into it right now.

Update 6/5 morning: requested forums dropdown be added for un-logged-in viewers (same default set as when logged in)... should be there soon
Update 6/16: Done

rated:
Take the "updated date" out of the title for the "guide to seeking help in the computer forum" sticky thread. It makes it seem old and irrelevant to the newbs who need to read it but then choose not to based on an old date, and to the regulars, we really don't need to know the date it was updated. If anyone can give a good reason to keep it in the title please share.

rated:
kronus said: Take the "updated date" out of the title for the "guide to seeking help in the computer forum" sticky thread. It makes it seem old and irrelevant to the newbs who need to read it but then choose not to based on an old date, and to the regulars, we really don't need to know the date it was updated. If anyone can give a good reason to keep it in the title please share.Done

rated:
footn200 said: BetterDays said: MVP9596 said: BetterDays said: Please bring back the drop down to select forums!!! I have to switch back to Classic just to switch forums when I'm on a computer that I have not logged into FW on!

I apologize. Looking into it right now.

Update 6/5 morning: requested forums dropdown be added for un-logged-in viewers (same default set as when logged in)... should be there soon

THANK YOU, THANK YOU!! I wish I could give your post more green!

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014