• filter:
  • 1 234523
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Old Suggestion Box being locked in favor of this.

Add your suggestion to this thread, then vote your support or disdain for other ideas. We'll keep our eye on it and act on what's most popular & do-able.

Get it? Add it here. The ones earning lots of green will get attention.

(I'll start off with a few refugees from the ol' Suggestion Box.)

Add suggestions and vote!

Added 2/05/09
FatWallet Pains
1. Too complicated & hard to learn.
2. Forums tone.
3. Search.
4. Getting C.B. from forums is time-consuming and frustrating.
5. C.B. process requires too many steps and takes too long.
6. C.B. links are unreliable.

Added 2/05/09
Un-edited list from another discussion
1. Add suggested search terms with number of results.
2. More detailed search, with more narrowing options.
3. Easier to find “Relevance” option on search results page… default ‘entire site’ by relevance?
4. Repost/similar topic checker.
5. Easy/intuitive “keep in mind for later” function (favorites you can find).
6. ‘Thank you’ button.
7. Standard format for topic titles.
8. Offer points/rewards to valuable posters.
9. Better CB rates (bottom line $).
10. Add a rep system.
11. Extend ‘most recent topics posted in’ on Today page (first/next/previous 20).
12. Make people give reason for red.
13. Limit voting/rating to topics (not replies).
14. Allow turning the ratings (results?) on or off.
15. Darker site look (as an option).
16. Direct # to US-support Dell (and all merchants).
17. Alphabetize list(s) of forums.
18. Hover to show store’s current C.B. rate.
19. Display ‘Consumer Alerts’ prominently.
20. Encourage newbies.
21. Be less invasive (move threads less, etc).
22. Improve interface so people know how to use the features we have.
23. Add retailer ratings (from us or somewhere) into quick summary.
24. Force geographical info into posts limited by such.
25. Referral incentives.
26. Hover on titles in topic list to see more of post.
27. My FatWallet (customizable) page.
28. Expand RSS offerings… including RSS of search results (categories?).
29. Expanded retailer ratings… or “disappointment factor” for reneging.
30. Free shipping.
31. Shipping to Hawaii and Alaska.
32. Clarify value presentation (homepage, header, ?).
33. Posters to share earnings.
34. Quicker scan of deals (to see best ones easiest).
35. Limit to OP, QS, and FlashChat.
36. …then auto-lock threads with no OP participation after 5 days
37. FW branded store.
38. Move dead deals out (quicker/more reliably).
39. Mods getting pied.

Ads by Google
Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Should Staff members really be giving other Staff members "green" on the deals they post? Hardly seems impartial.

veckle (Sep. 17, 2014 @ 11:31a) |

I think you call that being "MODeRATED" ...

imanemokid (Sep. 19, 2014 @ 11:17p) |

I wouldn't expect that anything underhanded were meant by that -- it's probably all in good fun, with good intentions --... (more)

NantucketSunrise (Sep. 23, 2014 @ 4:38p) |

rated:
From cedarpointfan...

Leave a 120-second window for "Edited by"-less edits after you post. Sometimes you catch things after you post, and would like to fix them neatly. This can be found on Digg.

rated:
From Madmurphy...

After the user personalizes his view for the "Hide Forum Categories" in the drop down menus, that personalization transfers over to this page. While that might seem insignificant by hiding all the forums the user has chosen, what's out of sight is also out of mind. If I've hidden the travel and computer forums from view, I will eventually forget that those forums are there (or ultimately decide that it's too much trouble to navigate to those forums) and FW might lose out on FatCash opportunities.

Why not leave the entire list of all navigable forums on the main Forums page and keep the personalizable forums list for the drop down menus and customizable menu bar? That way, if I decide I need to see what computer deals might be available, I just have to visit the main Forums page to click on the Computers forum instead of editing my personalized forum view or performing a search to get to the computer forum.

rated:
from tazzy531...

I like the ability to customize the forum navigation links at the top of the screen. What may be more helpful is if next to each of those headings you include number of new messages (or threads) since the last visit. Obviously, this would be a bog on the system if people don't visit regularly. So solution to that is change it from a number to infinity symbol after a certain number.

It would look like this:

Hot Deals(30)   Free Stuff(~)    Finance(5)    Travel Deals(~)

rated:
From iRabbitt...

Make it easier to search a user's replies or topics but just clicking on their username and have a list of items to pop up, such as the user's replies or topics. Do it this way rather than going through the normal useless FW search engine, so that when people just pop up out of the blue on boards you can verify who they are or their previous threads more quickly, all just by clicking on their name.

They have this on Craigslist, and it makes it much easier to identify trolls & alts.

rated:
From jiffy...

Suggestion: I would love to see a flag or colored thread icon (anything), indicating threads I have posted to. I've seen it in other forums and have found it very convenient.

rated:
I like the idea of the delay for editing a thread. In fact, I like all the suggestions. I would like to the the "who is logged on" feature brought back and of course, the last user to post in a thread when in Modern View. PLEASE consider adding some sub-forums to the Deal Discussion Forum, we really need a separate "Find Me a Deal" section. Consider consolidating the Product Review Forum into one of these sub-categories.

Thanks for appearing to really be serious about listening to the community this time around. Look how happy the minions were just getting custom avatars! I think taking an active role in user suggestions will really take FW to a better place.

rated:
Thanks!

Be sure and weigh in here: More/Different Forums. I expect some good discussion about segmenting Deal Discussion, etc.

rated:
If you were to implement the "who's logged on" feature, please make it an option to keep your status private if you so choose.

rated:
Some people vote posts red/green to see where they left off. Add a way to "bookmark" a certain post in a thread to jump to that point in the future.

I love the "X unread" functionality in modern view, but using modern view is too high a cost to pay for the feature.

rated:
PML said: If you were to implement the "who's logged on" feature, please make it an option to keep your status private if you so choose.

Private status and hide your posts....sounds like you have a lot to hide. Why are you here then, this is not an anonymous Internet site.

rated:
TM1 said: PML said: If you were to implement the "who's logged on" feature, please make it an option to keep your status private if you so choose.

Private status and hide your posts....sounds like you have a lot to hide. Why are you here then, this is not an anonymous Internet site.

Wow, that didn't take you long.

My reasons don't concern you. I have a right to my opinion same as you.

rated:
The exchange above brings to mind another suggestion: the ability to ignore individual posts in a thread without globally ignoring that user's posts.

rated:
This is a big one, but what about implementing true message threading? Quoting a post would automatically place it under its parent post, and threads within a topic could be collapsible.

Of course users would be able to choose between threaded and non-threaded topic views.

I could see this feature being especially valuable in very large topics...for example, I often see HD topics that include discussion of various features of the product in question, or digressions about an experience at a specific store. If you aren't interested in that aspect of the discussion, you can collapse that thread and be done with it.

Threading would also be a big help on catch-all threads like the newbie sticky in Finance, it would essentially make them into mini-forums.

rated:
What about a question/answer framework similar to Yahoo Answers? Allowing people who ask questions to reward points for answers might get people more involved in contributing.

rated:
Expand categorization to other forums, specifically Travel Deals, Deal Discussion, and Finance.

And make categorization available in Classic view.

rated:
I wanted to bring up adding the customizable forums tab to all the forums, especially the CashBack & Coupons page. It is even on the search page, why not add it to the stores page? Sometimes I just want to check promotions for a merchant, not shop and a quick way to get back where I was would be convenient.

Also, seeing posts in OT don't count, consider killing them in Free Stuff too. Is a member posting "thanks" 40-50 times a day any more valuable than the useless banter between us in OT?

rated:
How about different mod replies when topics are locked. The standard "the topic is covered here" doesn't always fit.

For example, in this OP in the Finance thread "securely parking a million dollars," the reason for locking was that the topic is covered in the Liquid Account Rates-only thread. But it's also covered in the CD rates thread, and really, since a question was asked, it should be linked to a discussion thread rather than a rate thread. Can the mod message "the topic is covered here" link to more than one thread?

Moderator Comment: We could/should do that, thanks :) — Apr. 9, 2008 @ 2:48pm
rated:
As far as I am aware, the mod can link the repost to more than one thread if they choose too. I guess in the case of HD is it unnecessary because one example is enough. Based on the complexity of the Finance Forum, those same conditions would not apply.

rated:
TM1 said: I wanted to bring up adding the customizable forums tab to all the forums, especially the CashBack & Coupons page. It is even on the search page, why not add it to the stores page? Sometimes I just want to check promotions for a merchant, not shop and a quick way to get back where I was would be convenient.

Also, seeing posts in OT don't count, consider killing them in Free Stuff too. Is a member posting "thanks" 40-50 times a day any more valuable than the useless banter between us in OT?
it's the same if you go into "my account" to check something.

rated:
TM1 said:

I've even seen people say "Thnx" two or three times in the same thread (a day or two apart) in their desire to boost their thread count. The rating system is a way to show your appreciation for the thread, not with useless drivel posts of "Thanks OP", "Thnx", "TY", "In", "In 4 1", and the like. When there are mulitple pages of the drivel posts, any meaningful posts are certainly lost in the clutter. Perhaps by removing the post count in the Free Forum, people will be less inclined to post just the "thanks" posts. Useful input to threads is most certainly welcome. Just posting "thanks" and the like without adding anything to the deal is ridiculous.

rated:
Perhaps replies in FS that consist only of "thanks" or something similar could be automatically routed to the Quick Summary instead of creating a new post. Or an additional "Say Thanks!" button could be added which puts a note in the QS saying something like "These members say thanks: memberA, memberB, etc."

rated:
jayK said: Perhaps replies in FS that consist only of "thanks" or something similar could be automatically routed to the Quick Summary instead of creating a new post. Or an additional "Say Thanks!" button could be added which puts a note in the QS saying something like "These members say thanks: memberA, memberB, etc." because if they don't use the green button as a way to say thanks, and continue to post "thanks" in threads, what makes you think habits will change and they'll all of a sudden put it in quick summary?

rated:
Thnx SLV

rated:
Madmurphy said: Thnx SLV just stating the obvious. Just because another option is out there to limit the "thanks" replies, doesn't mean it's going to be used. Sometimes I think it's a way to bump the thread on a decent deal to get it back on the front page, but I have more of an issue with those who post thanks in 20 or 30 threads at a time, some of them even dead deals.

rated:
shopliftinginva said: jayK said: Perhaps replies in FS that consist only of "thanks" or something similar could be automatically routed to the Quick Summary instead of creating a new post. Or an additional "Say Thanks!" button could be added which puts a note in the QS saying something like "These members say thanks: memberA, memberB, etc." because if they don't use the green button as a way to say thanks, and continue to post "thanks" in threads, what makes you think habits will change and they'll all of a sudden put it in quick summary?That's why I suggested automatically routing "thanks" posts to the QS.

So if you reply to a FS thread and say "thanks", a new post would not be created, but your name would be added to a thanks-giver list in the QS. If you actually have something to add, it would create a new post. The tricky part is distinguishing the two, but matching on a few text strings ("thanks", "thx", "TY", etc.) would take away at least some of the clutter.

Or you could disallow replying in FS completely and rely on the QS, but that seems a little extreme.

rated:
jayK said: <snip> Or you could disallow replying in FS completely and rely on the QS, but that seems a little extreme.I scroll through the replies to see if someone has commented that it's a scam or a spam-collecting site. I suppose the information could be posted in the QS, but someone else could wipe out the information.

rated:
ThursdaysChild said: jayK said: <snip> Or you could disallow replying in FS completely and rely on the QS, but that seems a little extreme.I scroll through the replies to see if someone has commented that it's a scam or a spam-collecting site. I suppose the information could be posted in the QS, but someone else could wipe out the information.

My issue was not with people commenting on Spam/scam, it is the people that have never participated in other forums and racked up thousands of "thanks" posts. I asked if Thanks OP has more credibility than our banter in OP. I never suggested not allowing people to post, I asked for post count to be eliminated.

rated:
TM1 said: <snip>My issue was not with people commenting on Spam/scam, it is the people that have never participated in other forums and racked up thousands of "thanks" posts. I asked if Thanks OP has more credibility than our banter in OP. I never suggested not allowing people to post, I asked for post count to be eliminated.OK - got it.

rated:
TM1 said: ThursdaysChild said: jayK said: <snip> Or you could disallow replying in FS completely and rely on the QS, but that seems a little extreme.I scroll through the replies to see if someone has commented that it's a scam or a spam-collecting site. I suppose the information could be posted in the QS, but someone else could wipe out the information.

My issue was not with people commenting on Spam/scam, it is the people that have never participated in other forums and racked up thousands of "thanks" posts. I asked if Thanks OP has more credibility than our banter in OP. I never suggested not allowing people to post, I asked for post count to be eliminated.

The thing is, it's pretty obvious if those people post and they post something crappy, which gets red/ignored. Most of them probably don't even post OPs if they usually post thanks.

I post often in FS, and I rarely post "thanks" posts. I add info, make links, check for scams, etc, which I generally post and add to QS (which could be deleted, as mentioned above). I would be hella pissed if my contributions were no longer valued. I don't have much money and I tend to spend more time in FS than HD since I can't afford most of the HD anyway

Like me, there are regular, reliable contributors in FS and I would protest very loudly in their favor if their posts were diminished by no longer counting them (dee16 at the top of the list).

Please, folks, let this idea go - it would harm more than help.

rated:
Highlight Preferred OPs: idea about an "Ignore" function. I would love one where I would automatically have specific OPs highlighted. There are several superior FWers and I'd like to always keep track of their postings. THanks.

rated:
Gertrude23 said: Highlight Preferred OPs: idea about an "Ignore" function. I would love one where I would automatically have specific OPs highlighted. There are several superior FWers and I'd like to always keep track of their postings. THanks.

You can pretty much do that now using the Search feature by putting in a specific user's name and checking the forums you want to see if they posted in.

rated:
Gertrude23 said: Highlight Preferred OPs: idea about an "Ignore" function. I would love one where I would automatically have specific OPs highlighted. There are several superior FWers and I'd like to always keep track of their postings. THanks.This feature could tie in with reputation - posts by users with positive rep could be highlighted. Of course the highlighting would be optional, so if you find that you don't agree with the reputation assigned by the community you don't have to enable this feature.

The highlighting could be as simple as assigning a positive rating bonus to threads posted by users with postive rep.

rated:
ribex said:

Like me, there are regular, reliable contributors in FS and I would protest very loudly in their favor if their posts were diminished by no longer counting them (dee16 at the top of the list).

Is Dee posting to benefit the community or benefit her post count? I think she would still contribute her free stuff finds, irregardless, but I can't speak for her. I don;t think she is on an ego trip involving her post count, I think she truly enjoys providing the freebies.

You did answer my question though, apparently "thanks OP" is more valuable to you than our mindless banter in OT.

rated:
ribex said: Like me, there are regular, reliable contributors in FS and I would protest very loudly in their favor if their posts were diminished by no longer counting them (dee16 at the top of the list).The thread creator should still get their OP counted, it's just the followup "thanks" posts that wouldn't count.

rated:
I'm just going to disagree here. It seems like too much trouble to police. If you guys are soooo worried about the "thanks"-only people that you feel the need to change the only way that credit is given around here, well, I don't know what to say to that. Please don't change FS in that way.

TM1, no, I don't think dee16 would stop posting all her great OPs if her posts no longer counted (but as you said, I can't exactly speak for her either).

Maybe I could understand what you guys are getting at if you could give me some examples of people who rack up their post counts in order to abuse it for some nefarious purpose.

I like the idea of having members click a button to add their name to a list of people thanking the OP - have the info added to a box just under the quick summary, perhaps?

rated:
Non-beta suggestion: allow us to reply to a message from the mods, not the automatic ones but the ones that are replying to our alert.

I sent a message about a problem and got back a reply that said "are you sure?" Not having the ability to reply saved me from a sarcastic retort, but there's no way I'm going to go thru the multi-stage Contact Us procedure just to discuss a small and perhaps fleeting bug.

rated:
ribex said: I'm just going to disagree here. It seems like too much trouble to police. If you guys are soooo worried about the "thanks"-only people that you feel the need to change the only way that credit is given around here, well, I don't know what to say to that. Please don't change FS in that way.

TM1, no, I don't think dee16 would stop posting all her great OPs if her posts no longer counted (but as you said, I can't exactly speak for her either).

Maybe I could understand what you guys are getting at if you could give me some examples of people who rack up their post counts in order to abuse it for some nefarious purpose.

I like the idea of having members click a button to add their name to a list of people thanking the OP - have the info added to a box just under the quick summary, perhaps?

I'm not getting the underlying current (or proper etiquette). Is posting a 'thank you' a nice, friendly thing to do or not?

rated:
ThursdaysChild said: Non-beta suggestion: allow us to reply to a message from the mods, not the automatic ones but the ones that are replying to our alert.

I sent a message about a problem and got back a reply that said "are you sure?" Not having the ability to reply saved me from a sarcastic retort, but there's no way I'm going to go thru the multi-stage Contact Us procedure just to discuss a small and perhaps fleeting bug.
As it stands now, on the few occasions I've wanted to reply to the mods message, I just open any thread and reply from there with another "mod alert".

Skipping 842 Messages...
rated:
veckle said:   Should Staff members really be giving other Staff members "green" on the deals they post? Hardly seems impartial.
I wouldn't expect that anything underhanded were meant by that -- it's probably all in good fun, with good intentions --
but if the votes on a thread/post mean anything in a practical sense - and I guess they do, in some ways (positioning of the thread on pages where threads are sorted by approval rating, being included in lists of most-trending threads, triggering email alerts, helping people to win contests, or whatever) - then maybe staff members shouldn't be able to vote at all, on any post by anybody.  ...IF they want to maintain that they are impartial.

If they don't feel that they ought to be, or ought to appear to be, impartial, then I think it's fine for them to have a vote.

Just make the policy clear one way or the other, so people who casually notice it don't feel that it is unfair. 

(And maybe you do state it clearly somewhere - I certainly haven't delved through the fine print of the site.)

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.