What's Cookin' at FatWallet (3/13/09)

Archived From: FatWallet
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
rated:
Here's what's cookin' as we near the ides of March (Come on, spring!)
  • Working on improving our homepage, top navigation, and main forums and shopping pages to improve (period), to increase conversion (viewers --> members), and to accommodate a new Coupon Search feature. Check it out!
  • We're increasing our design and development horsepower (hiring).
  • Finally, we're re-doubling our efforts to hear from you and find ways to delight you. Our one-question survey gives us some clues how well we're meeting our promise to provide a rewarding consumer community, and we'll be working harder at following up more in-depth with more of you.

Please feel free to PM me any time with delights, frustrations, and ideas (or just to say "Hi").

Let's celebrate accomplishments!

FatWallet Member Suggestions <--NEW SUGGESTIONS GO HERE!

Go add suggestions and vote on others; those with a lot o' the green get noticed. The future of FatWallet is in your hands!

Peace/out Steve

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
How bout a Blackberry App?

hellyea81 (Feb. 07, 2009 @ 3:08p) |

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/03/25/online-deal-marketplace-fatwallet-gets-a-facelift/

biglittle (Mar. 25, 2009 @ 8:44a) |

thanks biglittle! Nice to see

hawpi (Mar. 26, 2009 @ 10:42a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Thank you for reaching out to involve us and communicate where you're trying to go w/FW!

Thank you for keeping us informed as to what's on the list for change.

Looks like things are moving in a positive diection and user comments will actually be listened to this time. I have to admit that all the effrt some of us put into the Beta testing for the new roll-out went pretty much by the wayside and some of things being addressed now came up many months ago. Water under the bridge now. It's never too late and I am looking forward to the improved features!

Caveat - "What's Cooking" on FW - will there be bacon?

That depends, do you want bacon?

MVP9596 said: That depends, do you want bacon?

Cheese. It's all about the cheese.

MVP9596 said: That depends, do you want bacon?

Yes, please!

Then we're going to try our best to give you bacon, and at the same time give MadMurphy the cheese. However, we will be reserving the gouda for a certain leather wearing nun.

TM1 said: Looks like things are moving in a positive diection and user comments will actually be listened to this time. I have to admit that all the effrt some of us put into the Beta testing for the new roll-out went pretty much by the wayside and some of things being addressed now came up many months ago. Water under the bridge now. It's never too late and I am looking forward to the improved features!

Today we may roll to beta the new-old-classic-modern-funky-fresh cheese ...and we want to be SURE and listen better. What you'll see is by member request, but it will still be open for continued improvement.

footn200 said: TM1 said: Looks like things are moving in a positive diection and user comments will actually be listened to this time. I have to admit that all the effrt some of us put into the Beta testing for the new roll-out went pretty much by the wayside and some of things being addressed now came up many months ago. Water under the bridge now. It's never too late and I am looking forward to the improved features!

Today we may roll to beta the new-old-classic-modern-funky-fresh cheese ...and we want to be SURE and listen better. What you'll see is by member request, but it will still be open for continued improvement.

I call it FW Retro...

MVP9596 said: Then we're going to try our best to give you bacon, and at the same time give MadMurphy the cheese. However, we will be reserving the gouda for a certain leather wearing nun.

WOW, bacon and cheese. Let's hope there's no reason for whine to go with that.

I fear change. Keep everything the way I am used to.

footn200 said: Modern topic view (reading the list of topics) improvements to include more classic look and Last Post/Poster/Time.

Why is it taking so long to add Last Post/Poster/Time to modern view? How did custom avatars take priority? Custom avatars are fun but they don't really add as much value as Last Poster.

qcumber98 said: footn200 said: Modern topic view (reading the list of topics) improvements to include more classic look and Last Post/Poster/Time.

Why is it taking so long to add Last Post/Poster/Time to modern view? How did custom avatars take priority? Custom avatars are fun but they don't really add as much value as Last Poster.

I am pretty sure the avatar thing was easy to implement and kind of a pacifier while they prepare for the next modern / classic view feature merge and this will be part of the updated changes.

qcumber98 said: Why is it taking so long to add Last Post/Poster/Time to modern view? How did custom avatars take priority? Custom avatars are fun but they don't really add as much value as Last Poster.Last Post/Poster/Time is a top priority, closely following message view improvements like moving avatars left, uniform page navigation and a more classic view. You'll see that tomorrow (I hope) in beta followed very soon by the topic list view with Last Post/Poster/Time.

How did custom avatars get in there? Combination of Chief Mucky Muck wanting to see it happen ASAP because we needed something fun, and a developer that figured a quick way to git-r-done.
Hey, sometimes that happens; I'm OK with it.

qcumber98 said: Why is it taking so long to add Last Post/Poster/Time to modern view? How did custom avatars take priority? Custom avatars are fun but they don't really add as much value as Last Poster.

Actually, we have what I call 'classically modern' we think set and ready to go to beta as soon as tomorrow, and you'll be happy to know it includes not only a re-designed message view taking into account many of the user complaints (or is it nicer to say 'feedback' ) as well as on topic list view...last post column!

And as has been said...changes will continue, based on YOUR feedback, and we hope to get better at quick, incremental updates to address your wants and needs.

May I suggest you post in each forum a sticky with a link to the beta site. At the time of the recent format revision, several people commented that they would have liked to review and comment on it ahead of time. In other words, they didn't see the beta site.

Edit: what the heck is the "testing 123" forum?

ThursdaysChild said: May I suggest you post in each forum a sticky with a link to the beta site. At the time of the recent format revision, several people commented that they would have liked to review and comment on it ahead of time. In other words, they didn't see the beta site.

Edit: what the heck is the "testing 123" forum?
Testing 123 is for trying things out, testing your threads. Everything is deleted shortly after being posted.

Many people didn't see the beta testing site because there were 100 or so of us that were invited to test the site, under some level of confidentiality. Once they opened it up, most of what was commented on had already been posted earlier. We looked for bugs, etc. I do have to say that I find it a little humorous when people say they never saw certain things, which means they don't participate throughout the site, which is kind of sad.

TM1 said: Many people didn't see the beta testing site because there were 100 or so of us that were invited to test the site, under some level of confidentiality. Once they opened it up, most of what was commented on had already been posted earlier. We looked for bugs, etc. I do have to say that I find it a little humorous when people say they never saw certain things, which means they don't participate throughout the site, which is kind of sad.Many people don't visit the fatwallet forum site because they don't know what it is and/or they're not curious. That's why I've suggested (just call me persistent!) that the mods post the message about the beta version in other well-traveled threads such as Finance and Hot Deals.

Probably will do that... For now we're messaging folks who opted for classic view to get their opinion.

Steve

footn200 said: Probably will do that... For now we're messaging folks who opted for classic view to get their opinion.

Steve

If you do it (and I hope you do) PLEASE make it locked

where is the delete thread button?

SilverII said: where is the delete thread button?

You mean the "not interested" also known as "ignore topic"?

Look for the circle with the slash (a la not smoking symbol or Ghostbusters). Within the topic it's at the top of the first message in the topic (what they call threads on FW) on the right hand side, between the "alert mods" link and the ratings buttons (red-yellow-green).

If you're looking at a forum with a list of topics, it's hidden Hopefully they will FIX THIS (hint hint)

You have to hover your mouse in the space between the ratings bar (red/green) and the topic title. You'll see a star and a circle-slash. If you leave the mouse over the circle-slash it will say "toggle not interested in topic". Click the circle-slash and it will turn red, then the topic will disappear (unless your view is set to view all messages, not "normal" or "good", etc). Right now there's a bug giving an error popup (Error: please add the property 'style' to...).

For those who (like me) look at the date in the last post column and didn't notice that the title shows the OP was updated -- look at the Original Post for the status of the changes we've requested.

i don't know how long it has been available, but i just found the editable toolbar and i LOVE it!
thank you, FW!!!

Assuming you mean the customizable sub-navigation bar, then it's been there since the original beta went live. It's one of my favorite features too!

MVP9596 said: Assuming you mean the customizable sub-navigation bar, then it's been there since the original beta went live. It's one of my favorite features too!How do you remove the dropdown menu from the editable toolbar?

The forums list dropdown? That can be removed the same way as any of the others, click edit, and drag it back to the menu and then save it.

MVP9596 said: The forums list dropdown? That can be removed the same way as any of the others, click edit, and drag it back to the menu and then save it.When you click on it in edit mode, the menu drops down (on the mouseDown event) and you can't drag it anywhere. Browser is IE6/Maxthon.

jayK said: MVP9596 said: The forums list dropdown? That can be removed the same way as any of the others, click edit, and drag it back to the menu and then save it.When you click on it in edit mode, the menu drops down (on the mouseDown event) and you can't drag it anywhere. Browser is IE6/Maxthon.

I can't get rid of it in IE7 either.
Actually...i can't even make the little edit popup javascript layer go away when i click Cancel or the X

It's working fine in firefox and safari. I'll check with IE6 shortly, and have someone check with IE7.

I can't even click the Edit button in Opera

Bug submitted, thank you

ThursdaysChild said: For those who (like me) look at the date in the last post column and didn't notice that the title shows the OP was updated -- look at the Original Post for the status of the changes we've requested.Oops, I did it again
5/09/08 Update in OP

jayK said: MVP9596 said: The forums list dropdown? That can be removed the same way as any of the others, click edit, and drag it back to the menu and then save it.When you click on it in edit mode, the menu drops down (on the mouseDown event) and you can't drag it anywhere. Browser is IE6/Maxthon. I had this problem for a while. With persistence, I was able to finally get it to move.

WOW time flies when you're having fun

OP has been updated...

By the way, if I seem to have missed or forgotten what's important to you, please reply here or PM me for an update.

/taps the microphone/
Is this thing on?
/feedback/
/cringes/
Uhh... what happened to the "top" and "bottom" buttons? Can we expect them to be added to Modern view?
/steps down from the mic/

qcumber98 said: /taps the microphone/
Is this thing on?
/feedback/
/cringes/
Uhh... what happened to the "top" and "bottom" buttons? Can we expect them to be added to Modern view?
/steps down from the mic/
Let's see

Skipping 35 Messages...
thanks biglittle! Nice to see

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014