AZ Electric Rate Change Request ?

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Thinking about putting in an Electric Rate Change Request. Anything I should consider other than the lowest Cents per kWh?? Also considering going to solar heater to take advantage of rebates and I'll be interested to hear from fellow AZ residents for advice...

Factors:

Rates can only be changed once every twelve months

Have gas for water heating everything else is electric.

My Current Plan: Time Advantage 9pm-9am which can't be requested anymore. Can't get Super Peak b/c don't have a "smart" meter

https://www.aps.com/main/services/residential/rates/rates_29.htm...

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

What did Arizona Power say when you called?

tripleB said: What did Arizona Power say when you called?

APS said my choice but I'm able to change my habits to get better rates this hot summer...Bills have been $400+

vickh said: tripleB said: What did Arizona Power say when you called?

APS said my choice but I'm able to change my habits to get better rates this hot summer...Bills have been $400+

I hate APS and SRP. They spend millions of dollars advertising but residents have no choice as to whom they are able to call for electricity. It's a monopoly for them. Last year I used significantly less power as in 2008 and my bill was still 10% higher.

bigdinkel said:
I hate APS and SRP. They spend millions of dollars advertising but residents have no choice as to whom they are able to call for electricity. It's a monopoly for them. Last year I used significantly less power as in 2008 and my bill was still 10% higher.

have heard SRPs lower....I'm thinking of moving to the east valley. Supposedly taxes,utilties etc are lower...

bigdinkel said: vickh said: tripleB said: What did Arizona Power say when you called?

I absolutely agree with that.

OP,

First a comment about the solar water rebate. I looked at the pricing for an active solar system I got an estimate of about $1,700 after rebates from the US, AZ, and APS. However, the company I called said that I would really only save between 50-80% on the cost of hot water so based on my family's realatively low gas bill in the summer ($25/month) it would take me about 10 years to make up the difference in cost. I guess it is better for the environment but I could not make it work since I doubt I will be in the house 10 year from now. I think that the people who have electric water heaters will benefit more and they are the ones that this is aimed at.

I just put in a change request for the Time Advantage 7p.m.-noon last week because I pick up 5 extra hours of lower priced electricity. I ran some comparisons in Excel between the different rate plans based on my historic usage (and prorating my on-peak usage equally between the 5 extra hours I pick up as off-peak and the 7 hours that would remain on-peak." I figured that I can save maybe $20 per month in the summer and the cost in the spring/fall/winter will be about the same. I am not expecting huge savings from the switch and suspect that the different rate plans are just a red herring to appease the regulators. I am considering The Energy Detective 5000 for $200 as a way to monitor and attempt to reduce my usage since I do not have a Smart Meter.

What I really want to try is the 7-noon Combined Advantage. I found a place that will put a load controller on my system and will allow you to set a maximum demand (they recommend 5.5 kWh) so that you can pretty much do everything you want at about $0.06 per kWh the rest of the year. I did project a pretty substantial savings from this (at least $300 per year) but the cost of installation was about $1700 so it would take about 6 years to pay it back. I think I can get to the same place with the TED 5000.

I just wish I could find someone who actually has a TED 5000 to verify that it actually does something (unlike the KVar snake oil.)

bigdinkel said: I hate APS and SRP. They spend millions of dollars advertising but residents have no choice as to whom they are able to call for electricity. It's a monopoly for them. Last year I used significantly less power as in 2008 and my bill was still 10% higher.You can thank green energy initiatives/mandates.

RedCelicaGT said: bigdinkel said: I hate APS and SRP. They spend millions of dollars advertising but residents have no choice as to whom they are able to call for electricity. It's a monopoly for them. Last year I used significantly less power as in 2008 and my bill was still 10% higher.You can thank green energy initiatives/mandates.

Right, being monopolies has nothing to do with that.

RushnRockt said: RedCelicaGT said: bigdinkel said: I hate APS and SRP. They spend millions of dollars advertising but residents have no choice as to whom they are able to call for electricity. It's a monopoly for them. Last year I used significantly less power as in 2008 and my bill was still 10% higher.You can thank green energy initiatives/mandates.

As justification to the energy commission for rate increases, NV Energy cites clean power initiatives. I agree, monopolies (energy, and telecom) should be broken up.

RedCelicaGT said: RushnRockt said: RedCelicaGT said: bigdinkel said: I hate APS and SRP. They spend millions of dollars advertising but residents have no choice as to whom they are able to call for electricity. It's a monopoly for them. Last year I used significantly less power as in 2008 and my bill was still 10% higher.You can thank green energy initiatives/mandates.

As justification to the energy commission for rate increases, NV Energy cites clean power initiatives. I agree, monopolies (energy, and telecom) should be broken up.

Of course they do. And telcoms cite various taxes as reasons for high telephone bills, while not mentioning that they lobbied for some of those taxes and some of those "taxes" are actually just fees they add just because they can. Energy companies benefit directly from a lot of the green initiatives, even the dumb ones, but they never mention that.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014