• filter:
  • 120212223 24
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
SUMM3RxBABii said:   Just called Staples and they said they don't allow purchasing third-party gift cards with their gift cards.
  I guess you and me make a total of 2 people who didn't already know that.

rated:
Walgreens has no purchase charge for Amex Gift Cards this week. thru 12/13.

It says a savings of $3.95-6.95 so Im guessing they are $50s and $100s.

None of my credit cards pay 5% this quarter and of course you cant use Walgreens GCs.

rated:
tehlorax said:   
sunflowermel said:   I received a substantial amount of Best Buy gift cards because I changed wireless carriers and sold my phones back. I am trying to figure out how to turn them into cash or purchase other gift cards. I read from another site that if you purchase an item for more as well as use a debit/credit card, exchange the next day due to something wrong with it or exchange for different brand or item, then return a week later, they will return all cash on the debit/credit card. The reason for the middle step is because the registers are prompted on a return on the exchanged receipt: Object Variable Not Set
Has anyone tried this?

Amazon giftcards aren't close enough to cash for you?

A few weeks ago, I would have agreed with you.  But I have checked multiple BBs in FL and AL (and am checking GA today, not holding my breath), none have the Kindle cards anymore.  I managed to find ONE $25 gc at one in Destin earlier in the week.

rated:
I have a $197 best buy GC and I have just been sitting on it. Havent even been to buy store to see if they have mastercards or visas and selling the card would likely mean a 20% hit (After fees)

Ive been doing the same with a bunch of Kmart & Sears cards. And now my fridge is going out so I will probably be able to use all those Kmart & Sears cards I accumulated mostly when I could still buy mastercards with them.

Ive found holding discounted giftcards can make future hot deals even hotter. But, you might have to sit on them for some time.

Given that rates are so low, that's not always a bad idea. The key is just don't lose them.

rated:
Question about stores 2 (Sears), 3 (K-Mart), and 4 (Staples). I received a gift certificate to GiftCertificates.com and would like to use the funds to purchase gift certificates for family members. Have people been successful using Sears/K-Mart/Staples gift certificates to buy Visa/MasterCard/American Express gift cards at the above mentioned retailers?

If so, I'll use the giftcerticate.com code towards a Sears/K-Mart/Staples to buy a Visa/MasterCard/American Express gift cards for family and friends. Thank you!

rated:
The registers do not allow it at Kmart. They did a few years ago. Never tried Sears or Staples.

The Kmart registers will allow you to buy Amazon or other brand gift cards but not mastercard, visa or amex.

I asked once at Staples and was told no but 90% of the time you will be told no even if its ok.

The back of many cards expressly prohibit it.

rated:
smaycs4 said:   The registers do not allow it at Kmart. They did a few years ago. Never tried Sears or Staples.

The Kmart registers will allow you to buy Amazon or other brand gift cards but not mastercard, visa or amex.

I asked once at Staples and was told no but 90% of the time you will be told no even if its ok.

thank you and repped .  Does anyone have any more experience?  I may go the Amazon route.  The people I have in mind are new parents and I figured an open ended giftcard would be best but Amazon would be the next best thing I assume.

rated:
Is toysrus phasing out the Amazon/Kindle gift cards now?

rated:
bumfromjersey said:   
smaycs4 said:   The registers do not allow it at Kmart. They did a few years ago. Never tried Sears or Staples.

thank you and repped .  Does anyone have any more experience?  I may go the Amazon route.  The people I have in mind are new parents and I figured an open ended giftcard would be best but Amazon would be the next best thing I assume.

A couple more things.  Kmart also sells  BP and Shell gas cards. And Burger king and a few other food places. Never been shot down on any of them. I WAS shot down by the register when trying to combine about $450 worth of Sears & Kmart cards.  So i would suggest keeping transactions under $150 or $100. Even if you have to get back in line a few more times.

A different cashier might shoot you down and most managers will if they see it happening.

The key anywhere when trying giftcard transactions is staying under the radar. And dont ask permission. Just try it. Asking permission will get you a "no" 95% of the time.

But many cashiers dont know or care.

Publix is the only place that will let me buy mastercard or visas with their giftcards. But there is a $5.95 fee on $100 and discounted publix cards are about as rare as snow in July.

I loaded up on $500 worth of publix giftcards and a few days later publix quit selling eBay gfitcards for good. I was stuck with $500 worth of cards. I got 5% back from buying them so my cost was about $475 but I still lose 65 cents per hundred converting them to mastercards.

So do I hold them and spend them slowly over years or convert to mastercards at a loss ?

rated:
Just tried to buy a couple of eBay gift cards at a Kroger store earlier with a couple of Kroger gift cards.

Never had any issues before either going through a cashier or self checkout. Since you can just select card payment on the terminal and then slide the gift card yourself and cashier wouldn't even notice you are using a gift card instead of credit or debit cards.

However, tried to buy $100 eBay gift cards today and one of the Kroger gift card I have has slightly over $99 on the card. So I used that first, and the system took it without any issues and asked for payment for the remaining amount due, when I tried to pay with another Kroger gift card. It required cashier assistance (was at self checkout), and the cashier didn't know what the msg on her system was about, called a supervisor over, and the supervisor noticed I was paying with gift cards and said it wasn't allowed even if their system took it the first time.

So watch out if trying to buy gift cards and pay with more than one gift card even with systems that generally allow that, at least for Kroger stores.

rated:
focusfocus said:   Just tried to buy a couple of eBay gift cards at a Kroger store earlier with a couple of Kroger gift cards.

Never had any issues before either going through a cashier or self checkout. Since you can just select card payment on the terminal and then slide the gift card yourself and cashier wouldn't even notice you are using a gift card instead of credit or debit cards.

However, tried to buy $100 eBay gift cards today and one of the Kroger gift card I have has slightly over $99 on the card. So I used that first, and the system took it without any issues and asked for payment for the remaining amount due, when I tried to pay with another Kroger gift card. It required cashier assistance (was at self checkout), and the cashier didn't know what the msg on her system was about, called a supervisor over, and the supervisor noticed I was paying with gift cards and said it wasn't allowed even if their system took it the first time.

So watch out if trying to buy gift cards and pay with more than one gift card even with systems that generally allow that, at least for Kroger stores.

That could have been not allowing 2 payments for one item. Registers are programmed in ways that wont allow that...perhaps in an attempt to keep cashiers from taking 20 coupons on 10 items.

So, you might have gotten away with it by buying a can of corn.

But in general, anything that gets a manger or supervisor involved means the transaction will be denied.

I think my failed attempt at sams might have been from trying to use too many cards compared to the cards I bought. I was buying 4 cards but when I tried to pay using the 5th gc, the register shut down and my entire transaction was in no mans land.  The money was OFF my cards but I walked out with nothing. All the money came back overnight, thank goodness.  But, It was the last day for my temp membership and now I am unable to even try again. And their next open house might be after they run out of $200 cards.

rated:
smaycs4 said:   
focusfocus said:   Just tried to buy a couple of eBay gift cards at a Kroger store earlier with a couple of Kroger gift cards.

That could have been not allowing 2 payments for one item. Registers are programmed in ways that wont allow that...perhaps in an attempt to keep cashiers from taking 20 coupons on 10 items.

So, you might have gotten away with it by buying a can of corn.

But in general, anything that gets a manger or supervisor involved means the transaction will be denied.

I think my failed attempt at sams might have been from trying to use too many cards compared to the cards I bought. I was buying 4 cards but when I tried to pay using the 5th gc, the register shut down and my entire transaction was in no mans land.  The money was OFF my cards but I walked out with nothing. All the money came back overnight, thank goodness.  But, It was the last day for my temp membership and now I am unable to even try again. And their next open house might be after they run out of $200 cards.

I had two $50 eBay gift cards and a carton of milk, so using more than 1 gift card to pay when buying gift cards is still likely the problem.  

The highest fixed value eBay card they had was $50 ones. Otherwise there are variable load of $25~$500 ones, bought those before and they require cashier assistance to enter the amount you are buying, so I try to stay away from those if fixed amount cards are available.

rated:
Can you use Kmart's GC to buy visa GC at Sears?

rated:
tomprc said:   Is toysrus phasing out the Amazon/Kindle gift cards now?
  That has been my experience. Also TRS gave me a lot of run arounds when buying 3rd party GCs using TRS GCs. I won't be buying any TRS GCs. They stuffs usually cost more. Even a 10% discount won't make up for it.

rated:
TRU stopped selling Amazon GCs few weeks ago -- the registers wont activate them even if there's any left over stock

They did start carrying eBay GCs so that's another option

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014