• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I used bb gc in dec to buy those $200 vgc.

Haven't tried since. Was going to start going back there if Sears / Kmart is shut down in my area.

That will not be good news if best buy is no longer working.

rated:
cartledge said:   I used bb gc in dec to buy those $200 vgc.

Haven't tried since. Was going to start going back there if Sears / Kmart is shut down in my area.

That will not be good news if best buy is no longer working.

Can also confirm that... at the system level... you can no longer buy the Best Buy Visa Gift Cards (which are variable load, or "open loop") with Best Buy gift cards. They have closed the ability to do so at the system level. They added fine print to the website and the best buy gift cards themselves in December 2014 saying "open loop" cards (which the Best Buy Visa gift cards are) would not work, but of course it still worked anyway at the registers themselves if you managed to get a cashier who didn't know it wasn't allowed. But sadly, this is no more.

I even had a manager try everything in her power to override the new system and there simply was no way to complete the payment using the gift card. Got stuck with $600 of best buy gift cards too... spent some of it on $50 (closed loop) Disney gift cards at Best Buy for Disneyland tickets (at least closed loop, or fixed amount, gift cards can still be purchased), and sold the rest to a third party for a 17% loss. Could've been worse I guess... but I'll miss the Best Buy Visa option with Best Buy gift cards. 

rated:
Best Buy no longer seems to sell Apple Store gift cards. iTunes, yes. Store, no.

rated:
Are you guys sure that Safeway has no problems buying other gift cards? I wanted to buy those open loop gift cards, i.e vanilla visa, mastercard, amex gift cards, but the cashier was all staring at me saying cash only and they were all scared. I live in Alameda, a suburb of Oakland, CA. So if anyone can tell me the region where they are free as a bird in buying third party gift cards, let me know!

rated:
Well, I just went to my WalMart at Union City, CA, and I can tell you that buying a Visa gift card at the self-checkout does not work. Just tried it. Tried to scan it, and the register immediately asked me to give it to the person watching over the self checkout people. She tried to ring it up, slid my 55 dollar gift card there, wouldn't go through. She then goes and asks the manager if it can be done, and they said, nope, cash or debit cards only. So, yes! This thread is out of date, at least in the northern CA region. Anyone can chime in would be great!

This post, in case no one reads the above time stamp is Apr 12, 2015 fellas.

rated:
iliotwave said:   Well, I just went to my WalMart at Union City, CA, and I can tell you that buying a Visa gift card at the self-checkout does not work. Just tried it. Tried to scan it, and the register immediately asked me to give it to the person watching over the self checkout people. She tried to ring it up, slid my 55 dollar gift card there, wouldn't go through. She then goes and asks the manager if it can be done, and they said, nope, cash or debit cards only. So, yes! This thread is out of date, at least in the northern CA region. Anyone can chime in would be great!

You haven't been able to buy GC there in  years. I suggest you read some manufacturer spending threads before posting stuff. 

rated:
isobro said:   
iliotwave said:   Well, I just went to my WalMart at Union City, CA, and I can tell you that buying a Visa gift card at the self-checkout does not work. Just tried it. Tried to scan it, and the register immediately asked me to give it to the person watching over the self checkout people. She tried to ring it up, slid my 55 dollar gift card there, wouldn't go through. She then goes and asks the manager if it can be done, and they said, nope, cash or debit cards only. So, yes! This thread is out of date, at least in the northern CA region. Anyone can chime in would be great!

You haven't been able to buy GC there in  years. I suggest you read some manufacturer spending threads before posting stuff. 

He's posting stuff so that others may read it. Its good to know what works and what doesn't even if it isn't a "new discovery". I've read a lot of MS threads and the info mostly useless because things change so fast.

rated:
I always use ShopRite gift card to buy other gift card including visa without any issue

rated:
isobro said:   

What do you suggest around the SF bay area?

rated:
iliotwave said:   
isobro said:   

Move out of the SF bay area.

rated:
ntr91 said:   
iliotwave said:   
isobro said:   

Ahhh, i see, so no stores in the bay area could let u do this huh?

rated:
Got turned down for the first time at tru.

Said it was a change to the system when I said I did it a week ago.

Will try a different store next week or a different clerk soon. The one I went to just looked mean.

Sears has been going strong in my area though with Kmart shut down.

rated:
Sears is cracking down, although it's my understanding the POS still allows it but I haven't been successful lately. It's no longer worth my while to buy Sears GC except for the purpose of buying 3rd party GCs.

rated:
cartledge said:   Got turned down for the first time at tru.

Will try a different store next week or a different clerk soon. The one I went to just looked mean.

Shot down today at TRU in Chicago as well -- told me new policy started Fri and you can't buy GC with TRU GC

rated:
If these stores, like Sears or tru wants to stay in business, they better let us buy gc with gc! This is ridiculous, why would anyone want to do business with them when we got WalMart for crying out loud.

rated:
jatan1986 said:   cartledge said:   Got turned down for the first time at tru.

Shot down today at TRU in Chicago as well -- told me new policy started Fri and you can't buy GC with TRU GC

Different tru allowed gift card purchase of eBay on 4/23.

Funny because tru gift card I had was purchased via eBay at discount... Which was from eBay gift card purchased at tru... Which...

rated:
iliotwave said:   
ntr91 said:   
iliotwave said:   
isobro said:   

Ahhh, i see, so no stores in the bay area could let u do this huh?

Go on a business trip and MS after you're done with your client. Furthermore, nobody is going to tell you where (or which cashier) you can buy GC/MO with GC in the SF Bay Area. This is a MS wasteland.

rated:
focusfocus said:   
recklessmax said:   
jwalkingjon2 said:   
focusfocus said:   
jwalkingjon2 said:   Any idea on what GCs Amazon sells that will also work to buy gcs at those stores? I see Amazon sells Staples and Nordstroms. Does Nordstroms sell GCS? or are there anymore gcs I am missing on Amazon that could be used.
  Can't buy GCs w/ Amazon gift cards on Amazon, option to pay via Amazon gift card is not available when buying GCs. 

It is possible I have done it 20+ times. I did it today with a regal gift card. Just gotta check out then go to the open order and apply the gift card balance. You just can't buy Emailed gift cards.

you mean you complete your checkout with a credit card first and then open order and apply gift card balance ? can u please confirm

Yes, his method does work. Just tested it out on Staples gift card.   Checkout with credit card, then in order details there's an option to apply gift card balance.

Did you do this in store or online? 

rated:
blondie6ft said:   
focusfocus said:   
recklessmax said:   
jwalkingjon2 said:   
focusfocus said:   
jwalkingjon2 said:   Any idea on what GCs Amazon sells that will also work to buy gcs at those stores? I see Amazon sells Staples and Nordstroms. Does Nordstroms sell GCS? or are there anymore gcs I am missing on Amazon that could be used.
  Can't buy GCs w/ Amazon gift cards on Amazon, option to pay via Amazon gift card is not available when buying GCs. 

It is possible I have done it 20+ times. I did it today with a regal gift card. Just gotta check out then go to the open order and apply the gift card balance. You just can't buy Emailed gift cards.

you mean you complete your checkout with a credit card first and then open order and apply gift card balance ? can u please confirm

Yes, his method does work. Just tested it out on Staples gift card.   Checkout with credit card, then in order details there's an option to apply gift card balance.

Did you do this in store or online? 

Which Amazon stores are you aware of?

rated:
I went to Toys r us last weekend on May 9th. The cashier didn't allow us to buy third party gift card using toys r us gift card. Plan to try the other store....

rated:
I just tried Walgreen gift card (return credit) and their system does not allow purchase of 3rd part gift cards.  I did self swipe, but only my non-gift card items were allowed to e purcvhased, but not the 3rd party gift cards.

rated:
Shot down at Babies R Us yesterday attempting to buy 3rd party GCs with TRU GC.  Will try Toys R Us today.

If I get shot down again, I will need to figure out how to dump $225 in useless, to me, TRU GCs.  

rated:
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   Shot down at Babies R Us yesterday attempting to buy 3rd party GCs with TRU GC.  Will try Toys R Us today.

If I get shot down again, I will need to figure out how to dump $225 in useless, to me, TRU GCs.  

Buy games and sell them to GameStop or sell the gcs to one of the gift card purchasers. About $.80 on the dollar or more if you take Amazon credit in exchange. See Giftcardgranny dot com for details.

rated:
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   Shot down at Babies R Us yesterday attempting to buy 3rd party GCs with TRU GC.  Will try Toys R Us today.Success at TRU today.

rated:
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   Shot down at Babies R Us yesterday attempting to buy 3rd party GCs with TRU GC.  Will try Toys R Us today.
Success at TRU today.

Under $100 doesn't require manager's approval according to the thread.  Was your attempt under or over $100?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2015