• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
moneynomore said:   $700 is not a lot on a grocery card.  Most families will burn through that in two weeks.No, most families will not.

rated:
recklessmax said:   does WalMart allow purchase of third party gift cards with its own gift card. If yes do visa/mastercard work ? or does WalMart sell Amazon gc/ GameStop gc ?
  Haven't tried it in a while but used to be able to buy third party gc w/ WM gc.  WM does not sell Amazon.  Haven't looked for Game Stop.  They do not sell gas gc, Staples, HD, etc. ie the usual Gift Card Mall occupants.  They sell Starbucks, fast food places and restaurant chains. 

rated:
Publix, for the first time ever, now recognizes "return cards" and you cannot buy 3rd party gift cards with them. Or even combine the return cards apparently.

Publix giftcards that were NOT return cards can be used for 3rd party GC purchases (like eBay).

Publix has very liberal return policies and I suspect this change was made because of abuse.

The cashier said it was new and she looked but couldnt find the memo but the bottom line is her register wouldnt let the return GCs be used toward an eBay GC purchase.

rated:
These kind of things happen with giftcards. I got stuck with about $1000 worth of Publix GCs and had to hold them for over a year when they started selling eBay GCs again. Same thing happened with Kmart cards. Ive got about $600 worth that Ive had for probably 2 years now. Kmart used to allow the purchase of mastercard or visas until they stopped.

In both cases, things changed while I held the cards.

You probably shouldnt be playing the GC game if your grocery money depends on it.

rated:
Kmart - checkout system now prohibits purchase of gift cards with gift cards

rated:
hiemsventosa said:   Kmart - checkout system now prohibits purchase of gift cards with gift cards
  can anyone else confirm this ?

Visa & Mastercard havent worked for years but gas cards & Amazon did the last time I tried. Over 6 months ago.

rated:
smaycs4 said:   
hiemsventosa said:   Kmart - checkout system now prohibits purchase of gift cards with gift cards

Visa & Mastercard havent worked for years but gas cards & Amazon did the last time I tried. Over 6 months ago.

Bought Shell and eBay GC's at Kmart in ND and eBay GC's at Kmart in MN today with a Sears/Kmart GC. ND said I couldn't, but I told her I had before and when she tried, it worked. MN just scanned as always and went through.

rated:
smaycs4 said:   These kind of things happen with giftcards. I got stuck with about $1000 worth of Publix GCs and had to hold them for over a year when they started selling eBay GCs again. 

Should have just bought $100 Visas/MCs and liquidated them. You lose 5-6% but that is better than being forced to hold them for that long. 

rated:
dakota26 said:   
smaycs4 said:   

Bought Shell and eBay GC's at Kmart in ND and eBay GC's at Kmart in MN today with a Sears/Kmart GC. ND said I couldn't, but I told her I had before and when she tried, it worked. MN just scanned as always and went through.

Thanks. Had a feeling hiemsventosa was making things up.

rated:
avalon6 said:   
smaycs4 said:   These kind of things happen with giftcards. I got stuck with about $1000 worth of Publix GCs and had to hold them for over a year when they started selling eBay GCs again. 

Should have just bought $100 Visas/MCs and liquidated them. You lose 5-6% but that is better than being forced to hold them for that long. 

I earn 1% per year on my savings accounts. Not taking a 6% loss to convert to Visa/MC.  Its not like I needed the $1000 to live on.

rated:
any recent feedback on using WalMart GC to buy T-Mobile phone refill card?

rated:
smaycs4 said:   
dakota26 said:   
smaycs4 said:   

No, I was not making things up.
Tried Amazon GCs in IN but POS would not activate them.

rated:
hiemsventosa said:   
smaycs4 said:   
dakota26 said:   
smaycs4 said:   

If they won't activate, it isn't because of your payment method.

rated:
dakota26 said:   
hiemsventosa said:   
smaycs4 said:   
dakota26 said:   
smaycs4 said:   

It did pop up a message said buying Amazon GC was not allowed.

rated:
hiemsventosa said:   
dakota26 said:   
hiemsventosa said:   
smaycs4 said:   
dakota26 said:   
smaycs4 said:   

I don't have any experience buying Amazon GC's there, but for eBay, Shell, etc, they activate them first and then tell me the total owed. At that time I tell them I have a gift card as payment and they scan it thru. Maybe it's just an Amazon rule then, that they can't be purchased with a gift card.

rated:
dakota26 said:   
  I don't have any experience buying Amazon GC's there, but for eBay, Shell, etc, they activate them first and then tell me the total owed. At that time I tell them I have a gift card as payment and they scan it thru. Maybe it's just an Amazon rule then, that they can't be purchased with a gift card.

Why would a gift card be activated before you pay? This would cause problems if the payment method was declined or if the transaction is canceled.

Don't you mean ring up the gift card instead of activating?

rated:
dawpa2000 said:   
dakota26 said:   

Why would a gift card be activated before you pay? This would cause problems if the payment method was declined or if the transaction is canceled.

Don't you mean ring up the gift card instead of activating?

No, it's activated and handed to me before asking for payment. The opposite would be more of a hassle at the Kmarts I frequent, since they often have problems activating gift cards, especially eBay's.

rated:
dakota26 said:   hiemsventosa said:   
dakota26 said:   
hiemsventosa said:   
smaycs4 said:   
dakota26 said:   
smaycs4 said:   

I had no problems buying two Amazon gift cards and paying for them with Sears gift cards at Sears.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2015