• filter:
  • 117181920 21
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Regarding Staples, I've tried to buy visa gc in store (wasn't allowed) and then online, as advised by a number of enthusiastic bloggers. My (8) online orders seemingly went through, but were then cancelled. However they didn't make a big deal of it, just told me buying gc with gc isn't allowed. I don't think I'm banned. Just stuck with a large number of Staples cards.

rated:
How can you purchase visa gift cards with WalMart GC? I've been to 2 different walmarts. I tried purchasing $100 visa gift card n 100 master card, both transactions were denied. They said had to pay cash. Then I tried ordering online n WalMart GC is NOT a payment option.

Lady I spoke with at WalMart.com customer service said I could as long as it was a specific amount and not the variable. But I've not been successful at all.
any suggestions?????

rated:
labboypro said:   
billrubin said:   
labboypro said:   Added this blurb to the QS--

Update 07/01/2014-- with Lands' End being rolled out from under the SHC family, their GCs will no longer work at Kmart/Sears.  While there are plenty of LE cards that still work, reports are starting to grow from buyers who bought LE and could not get them to work at Kmart/Sears.  

So do they not work even if you want to buy LE stuff at Sears?

The Sears POS does not accept the new LE cards at all.  I see this as a glitch given the example you give above... but as of last week, no, they didn't work.  Perhaps Sears will be changing the in-store LE registers out for a different system (??)... or (???)

Wasn't LE sold to someone? No longer the part of Sears/Reebok? Isn't that the reason it no longer works?

rated:
ddarnell2287 said:   How can you purchase visa gift cards with WalMart GC? I've been to 2 different walmarts. I tried purchasing $100 visa gift card n 100 master card, both transactions were denied. They said had to pay cash. Then I tried ordering online n WalMart GC is NOT a payment option.

Lady I spoke with at WalMart.com customer service said I could as long as it was a specific amount and not the variable. But I've not been successful at all.
any suggestions?????

Sell the WM GC for 92% return rate.

rated:
Where do you sell gift cards?

rated:
ddarnell2287 said:   Where do you sell gift cards?
  Check out buyers for gift cards at giftcardgranny dot com. 

rated:
vagrants said:     Wasn't LE sold to someone? No longer the part of Sears/Kmart? Isn't that the reason it no longer works?

FTFY. Also, you are correct, you can still use Sears/Kmart gift cards at Land's End, but not the other way 'round (though I suspect some of the older cards will continue to work indefinitely).

rated:
ddarnell2287 said:   How can you purchase visa gift cards with WalMart GC? I've been to 2 different walmarts. I tried purchasing $100 visa gift card n 100 master card, both transactions were denied. They said had to pay cash. Then I tried ordering online n WalMart GC is NOT a payment option.

any suggestions?????

It might work at Sams if you can find the $200 cards for $206.88. Does NOT work on the variable amount cards; And several of the Sams in my area have sold out of or pulled all their $200s.

rated:
smaycs4 said:   

any suggestions?????

It might work at Sams if you can find the $200 cards for $206.88. Does NOT work on the variable amount cards; And several of the Sams in my area have sold out of or pulled all their $200s.

$500 InComm MC GC is still available here & can use WM GCs @ Sam's.

rated:
vagrants said:   
smaycs4 said:   

any suggestions?????

That definitely sounds encouraging! I wonder if it varies between Sam's store locations and/or individual registers/POS terminals?? As mentioned above, I can confirm success using WM GC to purchase the $200.00 fixed value cards (for $206.88), and I've also failed to have any luck with WM GCs for any of the variable amount cards. Can anyone comment/expand on ability to to find and buy "$500 InComm MC GC" at Sam's with WM GC? Maybe there's a particular sequence that needs to be followed in terms of when/where to swipe (e.g. cashier terminal vs. customer facing POS terminal) and specific keys (e.g. hitting "purchase" vs. "change payment type" and then specifying "shopping card" or something like that)???? Or maybe there is only one particular batch of InComm MC GCs that work?

rated:
None of the 3 Sams in my area has ever carried a $500 InComm at least as long as Ive been paying attention, about 3 years.

I think the variable amount cards were intended to replace $100 & 200 cards. I think they still have $25 & $50 valuations but Ive never bought them because the fee makes it cost prohibitive.

rated:
longterm said:   
vagrants said:   
smaycs4 said:   

any suggestions?????

That definitely sounds encouraging! I wonder if it varies between Sam's store locations and/or individual registers/POS terminals?? As mentioned above, I can confirm success using WM GC to purchase the $200.00 fixed value cards (for $206.88), and I've also failed to have any luck with WM GCs for any of the variable amount cards. Can anyone comment/expand on ability to to find and buy "$500 InComm MC GC" at Sam's with WM GC? Maybe there's a particular sequence that needs to be followed in terms of when/where to swipe (e.g. cashier terminal vs. customer facing POS terminal) and specific keys (e.g. hitting "purchase" vs. "change payment type" and then specifying "shopping card" or something like that)???? Or maybe there is only one particular batch of InComm MC GCs that work?

There is nothing special to do. You just take the MC GC to a register. Let them load the amount to the MC GC & then "hand your WM GC to the cashier" to pay for it.

There is only one type of $500 I've seen. White back ground with silver decoration (a tree maybe?).

rated:
smaycs4 said:   None of the 3 Sams in my area has ever carried a $500 InComm at least as long as Ive been paying attention, about 3 years.

I think the variable amount cards were intended to replace $100 & 200 cards. I think they still have $25 & $50 valuations but Ive never bought them because the fee makes it cost prohibitive.

Yes, I understand $500 MC GCs are on select locations. Maybe I'll take a pic when I go there again.

rated:
vagrants said:   
smaycs4 said:   None of the 3 Sams in my area has ever carried a $500 InComm at least as long as Ive been paying attention, about 3 years.

Yes, I understand $500 MC GCs are on select locations. Maybe I'll take a pic when I go there again.

Please do post a pic if/when you can. The club near me is sadly not one of the select places currently (will let you know if it ever is), but would be nice to know exactly what to look for in the off-chance I'm near a club where they're stocked while traveling. Thanks for the followup responses.

rated:
I am new here---but what financial advantage is it to buy a $200 WalMart gift card with a $200 visa or vice versa? What am i missing here?

rated:
Visa is accepted in more places than WalMart.

But there is no financial advantage unless you obtained your WalMart gc at a discount.

rated:
longterm said:   
vagrants said:   

Please do post a pic if/when you can. The club near me is sadly not one of the select places currently (will let you know if it ever is), but would be nice to know exactly what to look for in the off-chance I'm near a club where they're stocked while traveling. Thanks for the followup responses.

Here it is

rated:
ajillfisch said:   Regarding Staples, I've tried to buy visa gc in store (wasn't allowed) and then online, as advised by a number of enthusiastic bloggers. My (8) online orders seemingly went through, but were then cancelled. However they didn't make a big deal of it, just told me buying gc with gc isn't allowed. I don't think I'm banned. Just stuck with a large number of Staples cards.
​I think 8 orders was asking for trouble. 
In any case the Staples website updated last week and the Staples GC option is 'Grayed out' when you have any GC in the cart. Was good while it lasted.

rated:
Jagd said:   
ajillfisch said:   Regarding Staples, I've tried to buy visa gc in store (wasn't allowed) and then online, as advised by a number of enthusiastic bloggers. My (8) online orders seemingly went through, but were then cancelled. However they didn't make a big deal of it, just told me buying gc with gc isn't allowed. I don't think I'm banned. Just stuck with a large number of Staples cards.
In any case the Staples website updated last week and the Staples GC option is 'Grayed out' when you have any GC in the cart. Was good while it lasted.

That's sortof a band-aid, you can still work around it on the Staples site.

rated:
outtawhack said:   
Jagd said:   

That's sortof a band-aid, you can still work around it on the Staples site.

How do you work around it if it's greyed out? PM if you like, thanks!

rated:
vagrants said:   
longterm said:   
vagrants said:   

Here it is

Interesting - I definitely have not seen that particular InComm/Vanilla MC GC version recently - maybe the barcode/strip is coded differently for that particular batch? I've tried others (all InComm/Vanilla MC GC but with different packaging) but no go; "tender not allowed" when attempting to purchase at Sam's with WM GC; seems strange that one would work while others don't, but I've noticed similar glitches/discrepancies before with different variable load brands on occasion. Thanks for the pic.

rated:
longterm said:   
vagrants said:   
longterm said:   
vagrants said:   

Here it is

Interesting - I definitely have not seen that particular InComm/Vanilla MC GC version recently - maybe the barcode/strip is coded differently for that particular batch? I've tried others (all InComm/Vanilla MC GC but with different packaging) but no go; "tender not allowed" when attempting to purchase at Sam's with WM GC; seems strange that one would work while others don't, but I've noticed similar glitches/discrepancies before with different variable load brands on occasion. Thanks for the pic.

I am not aware of other versions for $500. I first saw it on a snail mail Instant Savings flyer about a year ago or may be more....may be less....I don't remember. The packaging never have changed since I first saw it.

Sam's operates franchise-like (or may be franchise, I don't really know or care), so club-to-club differences maybe?

rated:
vagrants said:   
longterm said:   
vagrants said:   
longterm said:   
vagrants said:   

Here it is

I am not aware of other versions for $500. I first saw it on a snail mail Instant Savings flyer about a year ago or may be more....may be less....I don't remember. The packaging never have changed since I first saw it.

Sam's operates franchise-like (or may be franchise, I don't really know or care), so club-to-club differences maybe?

Hard to say, but I think you're probably right about club-to-club differences; e.g. certain registers/POS terminals at some clubs are hard-coded to reject WM GC payments for MC GCs, while others are not.

rated:
I recently applied for and today got a free "MyVanilla" prepaid debitcard. Not sure I will ever use it but it was free.

The return address was InComm Inc.

It says its $3.95 per load at WalMart but somehow I doubt I can use even a credit card to put money on it so there really is no advantage to the card for those of us with checking accounts.

Im running low on my last prepaid card and I might just have to apply for one of the Fidelity 2% CashBack cards as it doesn't appear I will be able to use up my large stash of WalMart GCs anytime soon.

rated:
smaycs4 said:   I recently applied for and today got a free "MyVanilla" prepaid debitcard. Not sure I will ever use it but it was free.

The return address was InComm Inc.

It says its $3.95 per load at WalMart but somehow I doubt I can use even a credit card to put money on it so there really is no advantage to the card for those of us with checking accounts.

Im running low on my last prepaid card and I might just have to apply for one of the Fidelity 2% CashBack cards as it doesn't appear I will be able to use up my large stash of WalMart GCs anytime soon.

And this helps you buy third party gift cards with store gift cards how? smh

rated:
smay -- sarcasm ahead:

No, your Vanilla card is not worth anything. Just go ahead and "sock drawer" it along with your Wally cards. It is best to load or buy cards and then put them away. Do not use them. Do not read about them on FWF or the dreaded FT, whatever THAT means.

rated:
How does the ignore feature work here ?

Id like to ignore the last 2 posters.

rated:
I have $200 Sears GC's, can I use that to buy their VISA Debit cards? has anyone tried it and it works?

rated:
OK, no sarcasm this time.  It's just that your post really doesn't seem to make much sense.  I'll take a stab at it.
smaycs4 said:   I recently applied for and today got a free "MyVanilla" prepaid debitcard. Not sure I will ever use it but it was free.

Why did you buy the MV card in the first place?  Did you have a goal?  A mission?  Did you load money on it already?  If so, how much?  There are lots of free things out in our great world.  I'm not running out to get them unless I have a need. You mention that you may never use it...  Again, then why did you buy it?  

No, you can't load it with a CC at Wally or anywhere else (directly, anyway).  If you search on some other threads and on flyertalk.com, you'll find there are ways to use this card OTHER than serving the unbanked / underbanked and paying fees for services the rest of us get for free.  You seem to be answering your own question about what the card is good for -- not much unless you are trying to exploit it somehow.  If you are trying to exploit it, read, read, read, then post.  
Im running low on my last prepaid card...

What was your previous prepaid card for?  Why not simply load it instead of buying another card "Not sure I will ever use it but it was free."  Was your previous prepaid a gift card (not reloadable)?  Are you interested in a single load at time of purchase (gift card) or a reloadable card (prepaid reloadable debit card like MV)?  
 ...and I might just have to apply for one of the Fidelity 2% CashBack cards as it doesn't appear I will be able to use up my large stash of WalMart GCs anytime soon.

The Fido 2% card (Amex and Visa are available) are fine cards, typically available for higher credit scores.  How does this relate to your Wally GCs?  It's like saying it's a nice sunny day, so I'll eat and orange.  I can eat an orange when it is raining too...  So how are these things tied together?  Are you considering other CCs as well as the Fido and want our opinion?  Are you trying to use your Wally GCs to fund your MV?  Are you wanting suggestions on what to do with your Wally GCs?   

rated:
The MY card was free. I didnt buy it. They will send one to anyone who asks. I thought I was obtaining a refill card with which to load it but it was a scammer.

Was not aware of  flyertalk.com. Will read it.

In the past, I would buy prepaid $200 cards at Sams and $100 cards at Kmart which would afford me a larger than 2% off purchases. Both those windows are now closed.

Since those windows are closed and it does not appear I will be able to convert WalMart GCs into Mastercards or Visas anymore, I may have to make do with a 2% CashBack card fpr my recurring bills.

My credit score should be sufficent for any card although it might make more sense to get cards witth a significant bonus for applying. I think I got a capital one application for a travel card which offered a significant bonus award of points but its ongoing CashBack is only 1.25%.

My objective is to simply maximize my CashBack for paying bills with credit cards which, until recently was accomplished by buying discounted WalMart cards and then flipping them into $200 visa or mastercards.
I did that for several years so the thought of only getting 1-2% back on purchases is bothersome,

rated:
I've seen those $500 Vanilla MC at WalMart too. They are not consistently stocked. For the guy that was denied a purchase was it hard coded against the WalMart GC? I've bought other GC's with a credit card but not a WalMart GC.

rated:
Fuerza said:   I've seen those $500 Vanilla MC at WalMart too. They are not consistently stocked. For the guy that was denied a purchase was it hard coded against the WalMart GC? I've bought other GC's with a credit card but not a WalMart GC.
  Thanks. I wasnt sure the $500s could be bought with a credit card at WalMart. I know I tried when I had 5% off offer at office stores but the system wouldnt let me. The manager was willing but the system wouldnt allow it. I presumed WalMart would be the same way.

Without a 5% CashBack type deal, it doesnt make sense to buy them though.

I have noticed that Publix will let you buy anything with their gift cards. But, they only carry $100s. And you cant regularly get publix GCs at discounts.

rated:
can Amazon GCs still be bought with Best Buy GCs? Thanks.

rated:
Hi . Which stores sells best buy gift card and allow me to buy them using their store card I dont have shoprite/Punblix/Kroger in the enxt 100 miles

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014