• filter:
  • 14 5 67822
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
centrifuge41 said:   Bump. Just updated the quick summary with info on who sells what gift cards (not just whose POS's allow buying GCs). There's a lot of info to sift through - maybe it could be better formatted?

Thanks invisible for help digging out the quick summary on the old archived thread: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1041037/

You can also add that Lowes does not allow buying a GC with a Lowes GC. I tried to buy an Amazon GC, and the register wouldn't accept it.

rated:
savvysavers said:   imbatman said:   lydiachang said:   
Are you saying that I should try buying the WalMart GC at a supercenter where it might be categorized as a grocery store purchase and thus earning 5% Cash Back then use it online to get another 5%? Simply getting 5% Cash Back from the store is not good enough for me.

That's what he's saying. If a WalMart near you is categorized as a grocery store, you would get the 5% there, then go home to buy WalMart stuff through a shopping portal to get 10% off.

Ironic.

What shopping portal are you using to get 10% at WalMart? I thought WalMart is usually 1-2%.

I think they are getting 10% from the 5% buying the giftcard and then another 5% from a portal.. but 5% from a portal still seems high.

rated:
savvysavers said:   imbatman said:   lydiachang said:   
Are you saying that I should try buying the WalMart GC at a supercenter where it might be categorized as a grocery store purchase and thus earning 5% Cash Back then use it online to get another 5%? Simply getting 5% Cash Back from the store is not good enough for me.

That's what he's saying. If a WalMart near you is categorized as a grocery store, you would get the 5% there, then go home to buy WalMart stuff through a shopping portal to get 10% off.

Ironic.

What shopping portal are you using to get 10% at WalMart? I thought WalMart is usually 1-2%.

Didn't say 10% through a portal. 10% would be an aggregate of 5% in store, then 5% through the portal. Upromise portal is giving 5% right now on everything, including at WalMart.com. Next best is topcashback @4% YMMV as portals often say "not good for use of gift cards", but I've gotten CashBack through some portals using gift cards. Probably worth it's own thread (which portals give CashBack at which stores using giftcards).

rated:
I think that Walgreens' POS systems have been reconfigured since the early days of this thread. About 2 months ago, I bought some FAR stuff. I opted to get my rebate in the form of a Walgreens GC for a 10% boost, thinking that I could go to Walgreens and buy Shell GCs. Well, I've checked about 4 stores, and they don't carry Shell anymore. I opted for Sears, thinking that I'd go to a Kmart some other time to get BP cards. No go. Two unsuccessful attempts in two stores later, I'm pretty sure the POS now prevents buying GCs.

We haven't seen Walgreens rebates for quite a while, but nowadays, the rebate comes back on a "rebate card" instead of a gift card. The back states that you cannot use the card to buy other gift cards. I wonder if a real gift card is treated similarly by the POS. The small text of the real gift card says that the card is only redeemable for services and merchandise.

Now... how to liquidate dozens of dollars of Walgreens gift cards... I might end up having to find out which grocer(s) take register rewards as regular coupons, then go buy the free after RR stuff at Walgreens.

rated:
I have a question regarding Home Depot and 3rd party gift cards. If I have it correctly, some Home Depot's sell Amazon Kindle cards. Please correct me if I am wrong. However, HD will not allow you to buy an Amazon Kindle card with a Home Depot gift card. Is this correct as well? If so, is there a difference between a Home Depot gift card, and Home Depot credit? I ask because I'm curious if a person could use their $100 gift card to buy a physical product (light fixture or cordless drill persay), with the express intent of returning later for store credit, which would then be used to buy an Amazon Kindle card. Would this work? I remember that in the past when I've returned items to Home Depot, if my credit card wasn't an option to be reimbursed, then I was given an orange Home Depot card with the credit on it. I don't know if those "credit" holding cards are treated any differently than actual Home Depot Gift Cards. Does anyone know?

One other thing, where would 3rd party GC's be located inside a Home Depot, if they do indeed sell them? I figure they'd be near the registers. I went to one HD to look the other day, and I didn't see any 3rd party GC's. Only Home Depot GC's by the register area's.

rated:
Does anyone know if you can use a grocery store card to pay utilities with?

rated:
EugeneV said:   1. Buy discounted BB GCs online or at grocery stores
2. Buy BB GCs with free LED lights with the discounted GCs
3. ???
4. Profit!

Buy visa GC at BB with BB GC, go back to grocery store to get more BB GCs.

rated:
Negative profit is called loss.

rated:
dicka24 said:   If I have it correctly, some Home Depot's sell Amazon Kindle cardsLowes

rated:
does anyone know if i can use a utility card to buy a grocery store with?

rated:
dicka24 said:   I have a question regarding Home Depot and 3rd party gift cards. If I have it correctly, some Home Depot's sell Amazon Kindle cards. Please correct me if I am wrong. However, HD will not allow you to buy an Amazon Kindle card with a Home Depot gift card. Is this correct as well? If so, is there a difference between a Home Depot gift card, and Home Depot credit? I ask because I'm curious if a person could use their $100 gift card to buy a physical product (light fixture or cordless drill persay), with the express intent of returning later for store credit, which would then be used to buy an Amazon Kindle card. Would this work? I remember that in the past when I've returned items to Home Depot, if my credit card wasn't an option to be reimbursed, then I was given an orange Home Depot card with the credit on it. I don't know if those "credit" holding cards are treated any differently than actual Home Depot Gift Cards. Does anyone know?

One other thing, where would 3rd party GC's be located inside a Home Depot, if they do indeed sell them? I figure they'd be near the registers. I went to one HD to look the other day, and I didn't see any 3rd party GC's. Only Home Depot GC's by the register area's.

HD Store credit is treated by their POS the same as a GC (and it will not allow you to buy other GCs with it, even HD GC).

rated:
Is anyone else wondering what a "Utility card" is besides me?

rated:
imbatman said:   Is anyone else wondering what a "Utility card" is besides me?

See the post from sjack827.

rated:
c3 said:   imbatman said:   Is anyone else wondering what a "Utility card" is besides me?

See the post from sjack827.

Edit: I didn't get it at first, but now I do. Thanks!
thank jeebus it's Friday.

rated:
I didn't think my post was funny. I should have just called the grocery store and saved myself the comments. You can pay on utilities at some grocery stores. I was wondering if you could do that with the stores gift cards. I wanted to know because I have a chase card which is 5% on grocery store purchases this quarter. Trying to do what I can to maximize rewards.

rated:
sjack827 said:   I didn't think my post was funny. I should have just called the grocery store and saved myself the comments. You can pay on utilities at some grocery stores. I was wondering if you could do that with the stores gift cards. I wanted to know because I have a chase card which is 5% on grocery store purchases this quarter. Trying to do what I can to maximize rewards.

you should have explained that. I've never been in a grocery store (except WalMart) that allowed me to pay any of my utilities.
absent that information, your original post didn't make any sense.

rated:
imbatman said:   sjack827 said:   I didn't think my post was funny. I should have just called the grocery store and saved myself the comments. You can pay on utilities at some grocery stores. I was wondering if you could do that with the stores gift cards. I wanted to know because I have a chase card which is 5% on grocery store purchases this quarter. Trying to do what I can to maximize rewards.

you should have explained that. I've never been in a grocery store (except WalMart) that allowed me to pay any of my utilities.
absent that information, your original post didn't make any sense.

Almost every store here let's you do that at the service desk. I've never done it, since I've always assumed there is some kind of service charge, but that might be something to look into with the 5% cards.

rated:
For those saying that you can still buy third party gift cards at Kmart, I don't think it works anymore.

I was trying to buy $250 of eBay at Kmart with a $250 Kmart gift card. We tried the transaction 3 times, but the register said "declined" after the cashier entered the last 4 digits of the card. I asked if she was making sure to enter the last 4 of the card instead of the pin. She pointed correctly to the correct last 4 digits.

She called a manager, and the manager said that you cannot buy any third party gift cards with Kmart gift cards...that the system does not allow it.

When is the last time anyone had success doing this?

rated:
Goldyf said:   For those saying that you can still buy third party gift cards at Kmart, I don't think it works anymore...
About 2 or 3 months ago. I've done BP, and I've done eBay using Lands End GCs at Kmart successfully. Thanks for the heads up on your story!

rated:
sjack827 said:   I didn't think my post was funny.

I didn't either. But OliverQuackenbush's post had me literally cracking up. Thank you both.

rated:
Goldyf said:   When is the last time anyone had success doing this?

Before it was posted in this thread that you could do it...

rated:
BingBlangBlaow said:   Goldyf said:   When is the last time anyone had success doing this?

Before it was posted in this thread that you could do it...

The Kmart thing has also been well publicized on some blogs for frequent flier miles, and the miles collectors are well-known for ruining deals like this through abuse.

rated:
Interesting...either I have the worst luck ever and this suddenly changed, or the cashier didn't know what she was doing. My pin is scratched off completely on the Kmart gift cards I was using (I tried 2 different ones with a $250 balance), and I know I've had problems with cashiers entering the last 4 of the pin instead of the card in the past. If you enter the wrong 4, of course the card does not go through.

Though the whole ordeal was embarrassing, I think I might go to a different Kmart and try again with a different cashier. If anyone tries this at a Kmart / Sears with success before I go sometime in the future, please post the success. I'm not calling this dead until I see another confirmation of failure.

rated:
Does Office Depot sell Amazon Kindle cards, and if so, can you buy them using Office Depot gift cards? I ask because I can get Office Depot cards for 10% off via Chase Rewards. I want to transfer that savings onto Amazon via buying Kindle GC's.

rated:
EugeneV said:   1. Buy discounted BB GCs online or at grocery stores
2. Buy BB GCs with free LED lights with the discounted GCs
3. ???
4. Profit!

Where, or how, do you buy discounted Bestbuy gift cards?

rated:

rated:
Goldyf said:   For those saying that you can still buy third party gift cards at Kmart, I don't think it works anymore.

I was trying to buy $250 of eBay at Kmart with a $250 Kmart gift card. We tried the transaction 3 times, but the register said "declined" after the cashier entered the last 4 digits of the card. I asked if she was making sure to enter the last 4 of the card instead of the pin. She pointed correctly to the correct last 4 digits.

She called a manager, and the manager said that you cannot buy any third party gift cards with Kmart gift cards...that the system does not allow it.

I successfully purchased eBay GC with Lands End GC a couple of weeks ago. I've got some more LE GC and will try tonight or tomorrow - report back. I would be amazed if they managed to clear this issue up within the last two weeks.

rated:
UPDATE: The young cashier at Kmart I had was obviously doing something wrong with the gift cards when we kept getting the "decline" screen 2 days ago, and the manager didn't know what she was talking about.

I just bravely went back to that same Kmart and tried the whole deal over with a different cashier. Purchased $250 of eBay with $250 of Kmart, no problem whatsoever. This is NOT dead at Kmart/Sears.

rated:
alpinewhite said:   I tried to buy a Sears GC online but couldn't pay with the Land's End physical GC I have. The system said "Buying a gift card with a gift card is not supported at this time"

Why would you want to do this?

this card is valid already at Kmart, Sears and lands end....

rated:
anyone have any luck using JC Penney gift cards to buy other 3rd party gift cards?

rated:
delete

rated:
camar0 said:   anyone have any luck using JC Penney gift cards to buy other 3rd party gift cards?

its not about luck. the register doesnt allow it at all , so NO GO

rated:
Goldyf said:   UPDATE: The young cashier at Kmart I had was obviously doing something wrong with the gift cards when we kept getting the "decline" screen 2 days ago, and the manager didn't know what she was talking about.

I just bravely went back to that same Kmart and tried the whole deal over with a different cashier. Purchased $250 of eBay with $250 of Kmart, no problem whatsoever. This is NOT dead at Kmart/Sears.

Fyi our local Kmart has said they have stopped carrying bp and eBay gift cards. This was as of yesterday.

Southwest airlines is the last thing they carry that we can't get elsewhere.

rated:
Does anyone know whether you can use Lowes store credit to purchase other gift cards? I know that HD doesn't allow it.

rated:
No, Lowes registers do not allow it.

rated:
Has anyone been able to purchase gift cards from Staples with Staples gift cards recently? I've already been shot down at two stores already. Also, is there anyway to consolidate the Staples gift cards? I was thinking of purchasing something from there but it would require using more than 5 gift cards (Staples limit). Is there anyway around this? Thanks

rated:
pboy207 said:   Has anyone been able to purchase gift cards from Staples with Staples gift cards recently? I've already been shot down at two stores already. Also, is there anyway to consolidate the Staples gift cards? I was thinking of purchasing something from there but it would require using more than 5 gift cards (Staples limit). Is there anyway around this? Thanks

Even though the card on the back says the limit is 5 the registers do not enforce it. I have used more than 6 gift cards at a time. The terms of the Staples gift cards restricts the purchase of third party gift cards. The registers do not. It is YMMV if you can find a cashier willing to allow you to use Staples gift cards to purchase third party gift cards.

rated:
mathfaster said:   pboy207 said:   Has anyone been able to purchase gift cards from Staples with Staples gift cards recently? I've already been shot down at two stores already. Also, is there anyway to consolidate the Staples gift cards? I was thinking of purchasing something from there but it would require using more than 5 gift cards (Staples limit). Is there anyway around this? Thanks

Even though the card on the back says the limit is 5 the registers do not enforce it. I have used more than 6 gift cards at a time. The terms of the Staples gift cards restricts the purchase of third party gift cards. The registers do not. It is YMMV if you can find a cashier willing to allow you to use Staples gift cards to purchase third party gift cards.

Thanks for the quick response. I wasn't aware you can use more than 5 at the register. I guess that will be the last resort if I can not find a store that will allow me to buy gift cards. I'll give it a few more tries. Thanks again for your help!!

rated:
pboy207 said:   mathfaster said:   pboy207 said:   Has anyone been able to purchase gift cards from Staples with Staples gift cards recently? I've already been shot down at two stores already. Also, is there anyway to consolidate the Staples gift cards? I was thinking of purchasing something from there but it would require using more than 5 gift cards (Staples limit). Is there anyway around this? Thanks

Thanks for the quick response. I wasn't aware you can use more than 5 at the register. I guess that will be the last resort if I can not find a store that will allow me to buy gift cards. I'll give it a few more tries. Thanks again for your help!!

You can buy something with multiple gift cards and then return it, they will issue you a single gift card This is for consolidating cards.

rated:
vrb747 said:   pboy207 said:   mathfaster said:   pboy207 said:   Has anyone been able to purchase gift cards from Staples with Staples gift cards recently? I've already been shot down at two stores already. Also, is there anyway to consolidate the Staples gift cards? I was thinking of purchasing something from there but it would require using more than 5 gift cards (Staples limit). Is there anyway around this? Thanks

You can buy something with multiple gift cards and then return it, they will issue you a single gift card This is for consolidating cards.

Funny, that was going to be my next step if for some reason they didn't want to take more than 5 cards. Just wasn't sure if they would give you back one card when issuing the return. Thanks!!

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014