• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Sounds like you're buying the deal not the car. The first thing to do is to identify the car you want. The best deal may be for the worst car. Buy the car, not the deal.

You can get 5k off MSRP if the MSRP is high enough, 5k might be easy on a Mercedes but tough when the list price of the car is in the 14-18k range. That would probably only happen to last year's models or an end of year clearance sale and you're already past that point for most models.

rated:
Any thoughts on the 2014 Jetta S Automatic? Truecar shows a base model for $12,900.. Is it a comfy ride? Are repairs pricey? Reliable?

rated:
AndroAsc said:   Is it possible to buy a car in a FWF way without commuting to a specific make/model until the very end? Has anyone tried this before?

I guess I'll need to identify the specific car model and email all the dealers in my area, and repeat this for every make that I am interested in? Any other advice?

Lastly, I've seen a lot of post where you guys are getting >$5k off MSRP, but based on the type of cars I want and TrueCar data, it seems that getting $5k off MSRP is a huge challenge. Do I have the facts wrong?

Two things:
1) Depending on a number of factors, not committing to a set of specific options can provide you a little bargaining and/or time leeway. For example: it's mid-November 2014 now, and if you want exactly "X" from your dealer they will have to order it and chances are it will arrive in January 2015. That does not help their Nov/Dec or overall 2014 unit volume. However, if you advise the salesperson, "what have you currently got which is close?" -- that can help you. For example, he may have the same model you want, same options, BUT it also has (example) satellite radio installed. For the dealer this may be a $200 cost. Tell the salesperson you'd take that car, today, for $25 over what he as quoted you on the ordered model. See what happens with that.

2) Depending on a number of factors, the discount on MSRP will vary. End of the year through February is always slow for car dealers. You'll get the biggest discounts then. Competitive atmosphere is another factor; go and price a Range Rover Evoque right now. They are selling right at MSRP, and the salesperson will stand firm on that. On the other hand Mercedes and BMW are currently in a calendar year volume war right now in the mini-SUV and entry luxury markets. So you will find that you can get 10% off MSRP on a BMW 3 series or X1 right now. But price a Mercedes E350 or 5-series and it's a different story. Built into Truecar, btw, is a ~$400 fee for "forwarding" interested buyers to a participating dealer. So if you print out a Truecar estimate, and take it to a nearby non-participating dealer, they will generally match it or beat it to some extent, since it builds in about $400 up front. Careful also with "what's included" when doing A/B comparisons. To return to a prior example, BMW includes 4yrs/50K miles maintenance into their MSRP; Mercedes offers 2/3/4yr maintenance plans as extra-cost options.

n.b.
I would avoid looking at the discount as an absolute value ("$5K" in your example) and instead work it as a percentage off MSRP. It's a hell of lot easier to get 5K knocked off a 100K car than 5K knocked off a 25K car; but the former is only 5% off MSRP and the latter is a whopping 20% off MSRP. It would be more fair to say that getting 10% off MSRP would generally be considered a GREAT deal. On a 25K car that's 2.5K. So start with 10% as a rough benchmark.

wrooster

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014