• 1 234522
  • Page
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Here is the 2011 promotion:

https://www.key.com/gen/html/mkt-q211-touch10-3rd.html?ppc=11Q2_...

Note most of the thread below is about the 2010 promotion.

Here is a thread about the 2011 promotion:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1096776/

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I think you can just ask your HR department to send $500 a month to KeyBank and keep the rest going to your regular bank... (more)

CactusMac (May. 17, 2011 @ 12:12p) |

does the key bank rewards program close automatically or is that a separate call? btw, i was able to close account onli... (more)

actiontec23 (Jun. 19, 2011 @ 7:21p) |

If you close your account, that means you also close your debit card. No card, no rewards. I don't see how they could bi... (more)

luckybob04 (Jun. 19, 2011 @ 7:45p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
  • Also categorized in:

sweet. And I'm finally back in one of the states that have Key Banks. Thanks OP.

Answers to many of your questions about qualifying for a Keybank promo can be found here:

Past Keybank promo

Past keybank promos have only been avaible in these states: AK, CO, CT, ID, IN, KY, ME, MI, NY, OH, OR, UT, VT, or WA.

Thanks to qiyao0604, Keybank has now added FAQ Link

The offer is not available in all areas. Individuals and businesses will only be eligible in the following districts: Cleveland, Eastern OH, Idaho, Western NY, Oregon, Seattle Cascades, South Puget Sound, Central NY, Rochester, Maine, Northwest OH, Michigan, and Capital Region NY.

Followed the link most of the way through and when submitting get the following error message - The Offer Code entered does not match the account type selected.

Picked the checking acct and debit card as specified in OP. Anyone else have this problem?

The value of the iPod touch® will be reported on Form 1099-INT
If you close your account within 180 days of account opening, you will be charged a $25 account early closure fee

I have a Keybank Business checking account. Am I eligible for this offer because it's a personal account? i called keybank and they said i would be eligible, so just hoping for anyone else's advice to be safe

this isn't working for me. when i go the page to enter my funding info and offer code which is preentered, it says the offer code is invalid with the account i'm opening. i had to open over the phone

Damnit, I forgot to close my account from last year's promo.

What size of IPOD touch? By the way. Be careful with keybank. They will nickle and dime you. Follow their rules exactly. I did a GPS deal with them and got the 1099. I lost the "value" of the gps on my tax return. Not worth it in my mind.

how much did you pay in ur 1099?

$100 max cc funding.

ryryfree said: What size of IPOD touch? By the way. Be careful with keybank. They will nickle and dime you. Follow their rules exactly. I did a GPS deal with them and got the 1099. I lost the "value" of the gps on my tax return. Not worth it in my mind.

Unless the 1099 is overly inflated and you're in the highest tax bracket do you lose out on your tax return. In most cases you still come out ahead.

ryryfree said: What size of IPOD touch? By the way. Be careful with keybank. They will nickle and dime you. Follow their rules exactly. I did a GPS deal with them and got the 1099. I lost the "value" of the gps on my tax return. Not worth it in my mind.

they will nickle and dime you. with my key business checking, i called before leaving the country and asked if there were any foreign transaction fees or out of network fees for using my atm card to make withdrawals in the country i was going to. they told me that there was only a 1% foreign transaction fee and NO atm fees for non key bank atms, even ones out of the country. they even told me i would be reimbursed up to $4 for any fees the atm machine itself charged me. so i went abroad, used my atm for withdrawals, and came back to find they had whacked me with atm fees for each withdrawal i made. after i called and explained what i had been told, they reversed the fees, and told me i had been given incorrect information.

the nice thing about the ipod touch, is that the amount it's worth is a lot closer to the MSRP. With the GPS, you could probably find it for a fraction of the price of the MSRP, but with the ipod touch, they tend to sell pretty close to the retail value. it's worth a shot imo, just be careful of fees.

ryryfree said: got the 1099. I lost the "value" of the gps on my tax return. Not worth it in my mindSo you must have had income of 50 million last year to lose the value of the GPS on your tax return; surprised that you even noticed.

is it 8, 16 or 32 GB? not clear from the promotion. Last year when GPS deal came, it had 2 different models. The cheaper was for free checking but a better one was who went for an account which reqd 25k of balance anytime. By the same logic, it is 8 GB only. Anything higher will be a bonus.

xoneinax said: ryryfree said: got the 1099. I lost the "value" of the gps on my tax return. Not worth it in my mindSo you must have had income of 50 million last year to lose the value of the GPS on your tax return; surprised that you even noticed.

If the 1099 showed $150, but you can get it for $100 elsewhere, you pay 33% of $150 in taxes which is $50. You basically only get $50 in value for opening up the account which some people wouldn't find worth it. If you are married filing jointly, I think you only needed to make a little above $200,000 which is not unreasonable at all (especially compared to others in FWF). That's not even to mention the fact that a lot of people don't need/really want a GPS device, so the "value" would be less than you could actually get it for.

Where are you seeing $100? Used?

Lowest price from Apple is $199 for 8GB: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/ipod_touc...

jetsfan92588 said: xoneinax said: ryryfree said: got the 1099. I lost the "value" of the gps on my tax return. Not worth it in my mindSo you must have had income of 50 million last year to lose the value of the GPS on your tax return; surprised that you even noticed.

If the 1099 showed $150, but you can get it for $100 elsewhere, you pay 33% of $150 in taxes which is $50. You basically only get $50 in value for opening up the account which some people wouldn't find worth it. If you are married filing jointly, I think you only needed to make a little above $200,000 which is not unreasonable at all (especially compared to others in FWF). That's not even to mention the fact that a lot of people don't need/really want a GPS device, so the "value" would be less than you could actually get it for.

ultrapanda said: Where are you seeing $100? Used?

Sorry, I was referring to the GPS based on the statement that I quoted and using a random value to point out that the argument the person made about the GPS could be plausible even without a $50M income

Good deal for those who can get it. Unfortunately a no go in PA.

get this message
We are unable to complete your request.
Please clear your cookies and retry again

or

Please visit your local branch to open an account.

CSR told me that CA doesn't have Key branches, CA people are not qualified for this promotion.

From the Fine Print:
You must have or request a KeyBank Rewards debit card and enroll in the KeyBank Rewards point program. There is a $20 annual fee for the KeyBank Rewards Program that will be waived for the first year. Direct deposit transactions are limited to: payroll, Social Security, pension, and government benefits. Automated payments exclude Key Bill Pay, debit card automated payments, PayPal® transactions, and account-to-account balance transfers.
So what would qualify as an "automated payment" anyway?

ACH Pulls from another FI through KB, I assume?

Not good in VT even though we have branches

brb729 said: Not good in VT even though we have branches
are you sure about that? i live in vt and it wouldn't let me open it online - kept getting an error message at the point where the pre-entered offer code was submitting... but when i called to open it over the phone, they knew about it, opened it, and said that i would get the ipod if i followed the terms. i recorded the entire call, so i'll at least have that to back me up if they try to sleaze out of the promo

i probably should've just done the $150 cash keybank promo at www.key.com/cash

kosherham51 said: Followed the link most of the way through and when submitting get the following error message - The Offer Code entered does not match the account type selected.

Picked the checking acct and debit card as specified in OP. Anyone else have this problem?

yes! same exact thing happened to me. i had to open over the phone

toysurfer said: From the Fine Print: You must have or request a KeyBank Rewards debit card and enroll in the KeyBank Rewards point program. There is a $20 annual fee for the KeyBank Rewards Program that will be waived for the first year. Direct deposit transactions are limited to: payroll, Social Security, pension, and government benefits. Automated payments exclude Key Bill Pay, debit card automated payments, PayPal® transactions, and account-to-account balance transfers. So what would qualify as an "automated payment" anyway?

that's a very good question. what i'm probably going to due is link my checking acct and routing numbers to my chase credit card, and set up automatic payments with that- just have to make sure the auto pays are at least 100 each and that there's enough in my checking acct to cover them.

I'm not positive but i called up and that is what the CSR told me, though she seemed typically inept and I really didn't push back.

brb729 said: I'm not positive but i called up and that is what the CSR told me, though she seemed typically inept and I really didn't push back.

one of us was given false information. already happened to me with keybank- told me there were no out of network atm fees for my acct- turned out completely false. i hope ur rep had no clue, because it would suck going through all this for nothing.

Definitely would be nice to know what size, my guess is that it will be the 8gb second generation.

alm99 said: Definitely would be nice to know what size, my guess is that it will be the 8gb second generation.
hopefully they haven't purchased them yet, and by the time they do, all that will be available is something much better. probably just wishful thinking though

I went into the branch to sign up and the teller told me the codes hadn't been entered for the promotion yet. You might have better luck signing up for it today.

oops dup post.

I also encounter the promotion code invalid problem and I am in Cincinnati, OH. We have lots of keybank branches here. I chatted on-line with keybank staff and was told this offer is for specific targeted area, which does not include Cincinnati. I will try local branch later.

interesting.
I signed up for the $150 promo back in feb/march.
Time to sign up the wifey for this ipod touch. It's a good thing her employer allows us to divvy up her paychecks into 5 potential different accounts.
mine does too and in my case, I've already earmarked $100 per paycheck to be deposited into my key account and i've already made a small pin based transaction and a credit card based transaction so I've fulfilled all their requirements for the promo?

hope to god I get the $150...

Thanks OP, in for 2! Received 1 GPS last year. Key Bank is not a good bank to bank with, but these promos keep me coming back for more...

I've gotten a ipod nano, camera, gps, and now a ipod touch. Can't wait to play with my new ipod touch. Thank you keybank

Deanna: The offer is not available in all areas. Individuals and businesses will only be eligible in the following districts:

Deanna: Cleveland, Eastern OH, Idaho, Western NY, Oregon, Seattle Cascades, South Puget Sound, Central NY, Rochester, Maine, Northwest OH, Michigan, and Capital Region NY.

Promotion is not valid in the New York City Metropolitan area.

Website error when I hit apply the first time. Re-applied (started from scratch and filled out all the web forms again) and appears to have work - got confirmation email at least. Now waiting for welcome packet via post.

sailorbob said: Promotion is not valid in the New York City Metropolitan area.Yes, that seems to be the case.

Skipping 802 Messages...
actiontec23 said:   does the key bank rewards program close automatically or is that a separate call? btw, i was able to close account online via secure email without hassleIf you close your account, that means you also close your debit card. No card, no rewards. I don't see how they could bill you for a service you can no longer take advantage of... although stranger things have happened...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014