• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Visa Gift Cards seem to be very popular form of crediting customers rebates and redeeming points. Is there anyway to cash out Visa Gift Card entirely? The reason is that the last few dollars or cents will be difficult to get out, and it's more convenient if I could just transfer its value to my bank account.

I read that such Visa cards don't allow for ATM withdrawal. I was thinking of linking it to a paypal account and sending myself the money. Would this work?

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I use Amazon Gift Certs to myself.

just go to the gas station, dont pay at the pump....take the card to the cashier and specify the exact amount to drain the card.

Some banks will cash these out for you.
I'm with TD Bank - I take bunch of them once a week, they run them through their machine and deposit them in my account free of charge - card value must be >$20.
Contrary to common thinking, I actually opt for the card when I have the choice - unlike checks they come in an envelope - so chances are they will not get damaged/lost or find their way into the garbage with the junk mail. Better privacy too.

Many (but not all) cashiers know how to combine 2 payment sources so if you know the balance on the card, you
should be able to pay part w/ the GC and the rest w/ something else. Perhaps the cashier would even be able to
verify the remaining value somehow.

open 2 paypal accounts and paypal as a gift.

is250 said: open 2 paypal accounts and paypal as a gift.

Can you send as gift with Visa card?

I've started using them on eBay for things I am going to buy. If the gift rebate card is short on funds to cover the purchase, I just buy a eBay gift card first to drain the card, then pay with other funds to cover the rest.

Just buy a gift card at a store you shop at - A $50 Visa GC can buy a $50 GC at WalMart, grocery store, etc that you can then just use until its gone. Then there's no need to keep track of the exact remaining balance, since most store registers will just drain the store GC and show the remaining balance due.

Charge round numbers ($10, $20) to the Visa GC and use another card for the remaining balance. It's much easier to remember that you have $10 left on a $50 card after two $20 charges than tracking the exact balance and telling that to the clerk.

Use for partial pay of phone, cable,etc.

Rommie2k6 said: The reason is that the last few dollars or cents will be difficult to get out,... Since when?

If the store swipes it and there isn't enough, they just ask for the remaining balance in some other form of payment.

It is a visa (gift) card, it will give you a lot of trouble if it over the limit. You card might have a "hold" on it for weeks before you can use it again. You better make sure you charge the exact amount.

jaimelobo said: Rommie2k6 said: The reason is that the last few dollars or cents will be difficult to get out,... Since when?

If the store swipes it and there isn't enough, they just ask for the remaining balance in some other form of payment.

I've found that there are very few stores out there that can get a quote of your card's remaining balance, charge you that exact amount, and ask you for a different payment method for the rest. I've also found that most of the cashiers out there are too poorly-trained to figure out how to do a split tender payment.

I have found that Target and sometimes 7-11 stores are capable of automatically charging you the remaining balance on your Visa GC.

buy AMEX travelers checks at credit unions you must be member though . they will say it will be treated as cash withdrawal but it doen't matter as it is a gift card .

I have a $20 Discover gift card I've been trying to get rid of.

For gas - will they not hold a $1 auth?

Go to a restaurant you frequent and buy a gift card.

I had a $200 prepaid debit visa from AT&T that expires in July, so I went to Claim Jumper and got four $50 gift cards.....and a free $10 bonus card for each $50...and a free bottle of barbeque sauce for each one. No Cash Back credit card can beat that and there's no expiration on these - and Claim Jumper isn't going anywhere.

Do people not have any common sense? Do people not understand the concept of searching for an existing thread? Honestly, if you don't have the creativity to empty a card such as this, you deserve to lose the money you can't figure out how to recover. Honestly...could it possibly be that difficult?!

At two recent threads on this topic.
Text
Text

Gathered from the threads: Go to any bank teller and do a cash advance for the face value of the card (Chase seems to work well) and walk out with cash in hand.

miketheman88 said: I have a $20 Discover gift card I've been trying to get rid of.

Only if you pay at the pump. Which is why you dont use gift cards to pay at the pump.

Glitch99 said: miketheman88 said: I have a $20 Discover gift card I've been trying to get rid of.

Only if you pay at the pump. Which is why you dont use gift cards to pay at the pump.
In other words, like SIS said, "take the card to the cashier and specify the exact amount to drain the card."

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014