• Text Only
Voting History
rated:
First, thanks to nguyena1 on SD!

Apparently, Citibank is in on the rotating 5% quarterly CashBack just like Discover More and Chase Freedom with "Ultimate" rewards.

Some of us still have the Citi Dividend Platinum Select card (or its variants ie Citi World Mastercard). Many years ago, this card gave 5% on gas, groceries, and drugstores. Then for a year or two, this card gave 2% on gas, groceries, drugstores, cable/utility, and convenience stores. Now, both of these prior CashBack models have been discontinued, and they've implemented a Discover-esque CashBack system (rotating 5% quarterly CashBack).

This card is once again available to apply for.
Offer for $300 signing bonus when you spend $5k in 3 months.
Offer for $200 signing bonus when you spend $500 in 3 months.

Q4 signup is available over the phone but not yet available online. Landing page redirects to authentication for Citi, but does not seem to lead to Q4 signup.

The Q3 2012 5% categories will be Macy's, Electronics, and Toy stores

During Q3 2010, the categories were Hotels, Car rentals, Gas, and Airplane tickets.
During Q4 2010, the categories were Department stores, Clothing stores, and Electronics

During Q1 2011, the categories were Health Care, Drugstores, and Fitness.
During Q2 2011, the categories were Home Improvement, Home Furnishing, and Garden.
During Q3 2011, the categories were Airlines, Hotels, and Car Rentals.
During Q4 2011, the categories were Department stores, Clothing stores, Electronics stores, and Toy stores.

During Q1 2012, the categories were Healthcare, Fitness, and Utilities.
During Q2 2012, the categories were Home Furnishings, Garden, and Home Depot
During Q3 2012, the categories were Airlines, Car Rentals, Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Does anybody know, electronics cover Apple/Store.com, BestBuy or not?
What is included in Electronics and Toys?
What is no... (more)

4RainyDays (Sep. 17, 2012 @ 2:42p) |

Newegg got me 5% last year. Best Buy got me 5% last year.

Apple.com did not get me 5% last year

centrifuge41 (Sep. 17, 2012 @ 3:06p) |

Newegg shows up as "Merchandise - ELECTRONIC STORES".
CompUSA shows up as "COMPUTERS, COMPUTER PERIPHERAL EQUIPMENT"
Amaz... (more)

TobiasBoon (Oct. 21, 2012 @ 11:50a) |

Quoted from my credit card's page....

"*Once you accept this offer, you will earn an additional 4% Cash Back on eligible purchases at restaurants, on hotels and car rentals between July 1, 2010, and September 30, 2010.....You may accumulate a maximum of $300 in Cash Back during any calendar year."

Don't forget to sign up for the deal. It's easy, but not automatic.

July-Sept. 2010: restaurants, hotels, and car rentals.
October-December 2010: Department,Clothing,Utilities(or maybe Electronics)
October-December 2011: Department, Clothing, Electronics, Toy stores

5% rotating categories, Chase Freedom, Citi Dividend Platinum Select, and Discover More list and comparison.
  • Also categorized in:

Awesome. I always felt bad leaving this card dormant as it has a nice credit line on it. Now I'll use it for the 5% Cash Back at restaurants vs. the five Thank you points with the Citi Forward.

Thanks! I hadn't noticed, and this looks so much better than Discover due to lack of $400 or $800 limit on rewarded purchases!

Too bad, I had to let it go, because of the annual fee.

ETA: the 5% on restaurants is not unique to this, the MTVU and Forward flavors of Citibank cards have in on a permanent basis.

g10ny said: Too bad, I had to let it go, because of the annual fee.

ETA: the 5% on restaurants is not unique to this, the MTVU and Forward flavors of Citibank cards have in on a permanent basis.

At restaurants, the Forward and mtvU cards give 5% back in the form of ThankYou points (i.e. 5 ThankYou points per $1), while this promotion gives 5% CashBack. I think most will agree that CashBack is always better than Citi's extremely diluted ThankYou points.

it looks like a student-only card...is there a workaround?

Note that you need $50 minimum to redeem the Cash Back (in general for this card; not specific to this promotion).

I have $5 Cash Back on this account currently and I stopped using the card... I guess maybe I'll spend enough to get $45 so I can cash out.

Nice. I'll be taking this card out of the sock drawer.

My Citi Dividend Platinum Select MC webpage does NOT show what you describe. It would be nice if it did as we now use another card that is 2% rebate on everything. I have $46.00 of rebates pending. I just don't use it much anymore since another card is 3% rebate on gas and groceries.

I didn't see the offer either, until I did this:
- Go to Tools & Services menu
- View Special Offers

The banner was about halfway down and allowed me to sign up there.

I've only been using this occasionally at grocery stores & pharmacies (2% cb) to keep a little activity on it and ward off the annual fee. This is a great way to get some more use out of this card and get over the $50 needed to get a check.

Thanks!

I'm concerned that signing up for the 5% offer will invalidate the 2% categories. The old disclosure said...Unless you are participating in a limited–time promotional offer, you will earn 2% on purchases made at supermarkets, drugstores, gas stations, convenience stores, utilities, and cable which are defined as follows...
I sent email to their customer service website, and the response was:We have forwarded your inquiry to the appropriate area for investigation. You should receive a response from them by mail in 10-15 days.
I'm using this card to play my ConEd bill, which only takes Mastercard. I'd really hate to loose the extra 1% for that payment.

Perhaps we need a consolidated thread on these seasonal cards where in a summary you could see which now were best for what categories as well as discussing the merits of different cards (and the jokers such as point limits, or not classifying firms as we thought they would be).

For those that have the card, it is relatively simple to start using it again. Is it worth applying for, especially if you already have a variety of cards with high rewards?

I or my wife have 2% Schwab, Discover More, Chase freedom, 5% Thank you points on restaurants Forward, 5% CITI AMEX on selected categories in Thank You points. Even not allowing for the extra work of managing many cards, we would probably not benefit much financially from having this card.

If the the firms that rotate rewards keep picking the same categories (either the match each other or because that is a good promotion for season), there may be little reason to add more such cards. I think cards with limits (Chase, Discover) may pick certain categories for a quarter in the hope it will induce you to use them that quarter, but expecting that due to the limits they won't pay out much in rewards. For instance, if you notice the 5% on hotels for the summer vacation season you may carry it in your wallet for your vacation, but two weeks of even cheap motels will put you quickly over the limit on Discover or Chase). Especially when traveling you may not check you spending and realize you are over the limit, or easily be able to check the complicated rules. For hotels in the summer, multiple cards may be needed to get 5% on all of your hotel and other eligible spending.

Possibly, you could attach stickers to your cards where you could write the categories to use the for, or and much spending was still available before you hit the limit. These may be especially useful for spouses you may not have read of the latest changes in rules, or know which cards had already approached the limits.

Christmas spending a department stores is a little more easily watched (check on line before a major shopping trip)

If in the future, CITI is offering 5% on categories you would not otherwise be able to get high rewards on, it cold be more attractive.

Awesome find. I've had this card since 2003, and will probably spend about a month in hotels over that time, and will be renting cars afew times as well. Last time I used this card was 2008, when they threatened to close it for inactivity.

Just remember that the total rewards on this card are capped. I don't know if the caps vary from person to person, but I'm capped at $300 Cash Back per year.

Edited to add: I just saw that this has been noted in the Quick Summary. Sorry for the redundancy.

Sweet, might be able to finally get to $50 instead of having the $20 CashBack sitting there in my account.

As mentioned, 5% CASH is better than 5 thank you points back on the forward/mtvu cards for restaurants.

Has anyone been able to get this card after already graduating?

It's a sad state of affairs when the fact that a card starts to look more like Discover is an improvement, but that's the world that we live in right now. I also agree that the cash reward alternative is much superior to the TYP garbage.

got 8 various Citi accounts, showed up on one of them, can't use that one cuz i got a 1.99 APR for life.

irobot said: It's a sad state of affairs when the fact that a card starts to look more like Discover is an improvement, but that's the world that we live in right now. I also agree that the cash reward alternative is much superior to the TYP garbage.

I tried searching financial people-news for "Citi hires top Discover Card executive"

For those of you who've signed up.
Did the link disappear after signing up?

camiolo said: For those of you who've signed up.
For me it did.

Thanks OP,
Here is what to look for

why would they make special offers for cards they don't offer anymore? Weird.

camiolo said: For those of you who've signed up.

Yes.

bluechalk said: I'm concerned that signing up for the 5% offer will invalidate the 2% categories. The old disclosure said...Unless you are participating in a limited–time promotional offer, you will earn 2% on purchases made at supermarkets, drugstores, gas stations, convenience stores, utilities, and cable which are defined as follows...
I sent email to their customer service website, and the response was:We have forwarded your inquiry to the appropriate area for investigation. You should receive a response from them by mail in 10-15 days.
I'm using this card to play my ConEd bill, which only takes Mastercard. I'd really hate to loose the extra 1% for that payment.

I'd like to know the answer to this as well. Please keep us posted.

If the website doesn't tell you you're signed up, you shouldn't trust it. I got an offer in the past for 5% at department stores, and bought tires at Sears, but got 1%. I had other cards that could get 2%.

Discover tells you you're signed up, and you always get the reward.

I'm attaching the details I saw. Printed them as a PDF.

tjguitar85 said: why would they make special offers for cards they don't offer anymore? Weird.

I can imagine if a lot of people have a particular card drawered because it only had a great signup bonus, then its worth the marketing effort to get them to use the card again, even if they aren't accepting new applications.

Since they make money from the merchant, maybe they hope the fact that the card is back in your wallet will mean you will use the card for something other than the 5% categories too.

Wow, great find!

I have Dividend Platinum whatever card from my college days, and I still use it as my primary credit card. I didn't initially see the offer, but after browsing around the site and refreshing a couple of times I got it.

Doesn't show up on mine even if I go to Tools > Offers.

Get a letter from Citi today - on July 1, the 2% CashBack on groceries, gas, etc. is gone. Only 1% for all categories.

ab15qsg9 said: Get a letter from Citi today - on July 1, the 2% CashBack on groceries, gas, etc. is gone. Only 1% for all categories.

Got the same letter. Still, no mention of annual fee that I can find.

They are also changing this to a no spending limit World Card... This is one of the few remaining cards of mine that reports the limit. I gotta switch this card to one that reports, anyone know which Citi card is a regular reporting card?

dhl said: They are also changing this to a no spending limit World Card... This is one of the few remaining cards of mine that reports the limit. I gotta switch this card to one that reports, anyone know which Citi card is a regular reporting card?

Yeah this is the killer for me. This card is one of my highest credit limit reporting cards, and now that's getting taken away in an "upgrade" to a World MC (which sucks compared to even a Visa Platinum IMO). Is it possible to get them to report the limit as a world card?

I sent a message online asking whether there are any limits (monthly or annual) on the amount of Cash Back we can earn, either overall or in the bonus categories. My old reward materials mentioned a limit of $300/year. I was stunned that they had to forward my question to a department that will respond by mail (not email) in 10-15 days.

Don't they know their own rewards program?

ThePessimist said: I sent a message online asking whether there are any limits (monthly or annual) on the amount of Cash Back we can earn, either overall or in the bonus categories. My old reward materials mentioned a limit of $300/year. I was stunned that they had to forward my question to a department that will respond by mail (not email) in 10-15 days.

Don't they know their own rewards program?

Citi has tons of cards. The reps that answer the online messages are the lowest of the low outsourced employees in terms of knowledge and capability. I've realized this by asking different questions throughout the years and getting a completely nonsensical answer or getting referred to call the wrong department.

Oh yeah, thanks OP. I would have totally missed this.

user012345 said: dhl said: They are also changing this to a no spending limit World Card... This is one of the few remaining cards of mine that reports the limit. I gotta switch this card to one that reports, anyone know which Citi card is a regular reporting card?

Yeah this is the killer for me. This card is one of my highest credit limit reporting cards, and now that's getting taken away in an "upgrade" to a World MC (which sucks compared to even a Visa Platinum IMO). Is it possible to get them to report the limit as a world card?

This is an issue for me also. I don't use this card anymore, and was only keeping it because of it's age and credit limit. Now that it a "no spending limit" card, is there any reason to keep it anymore?

Skipping 233 Messages...
Newegg shows up as "Merchandise - ELECTRONIC STORES".
CompUSA shows up as "COMPUTERS, COMPUTER PERIPHERAL EQUIPMENT"
Amazon shows up as "BOOK STORES"

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014