• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
FW posters-- I just turned 50 and got an application to join AARP in the mail. The membership fee is $16/year. Are any of the discounts they claim to provide worth that amount? I know some businesses only give discounts to those 65 and older.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

MrSparkyman

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.

I am nowhere near 50 years old but I have an AAA & AARP (Associate Member) card.

They both have very similar discounts. AARP does have good insurance options.

AARP is a joke. I've looked at the literature which my folks receive. It's simply one large insurance advertisement. Spend your money elsewhere......

I have been an AARP member through my husband's membership for several years because a membership covers both a husband and wife. We've found our membership beneficial.

We use AARP for dental insurance, my individual medical HDHP, my husband's supplemental medical J policy, and occasional discounts for hotels, outlet stores, auto repairs and equipment, restaurants, and grocery coupons.

I don't know if Walgreens still offers a free AARP membership coupon when you purchase a set amount of store brand products. In the past, we've used this to renew our membership for several years.

It depends on what you do and where you are.

It'll get you 10% off at a lot motels, and I see a lot of AARP discounts if I travel to FLA.

That's about it, most of the other stuff isn't worth anything, but it doesn't take a lot to make back $16.

My older relatives are all in it -- they like the discounts and the magazine.

It is true that the AARP has a political "agenda" - if you dislike this, join another group with an agenda more to your liking, perhaps, the NRA.

dude you will get nonstop junkmail forever. then they will send it to everyone living at your address. do not want!

My experience is that the AARP discount on hotels is generally the largest discount available - larger than the AAA, and usually larger than the Military / govt discount. One or two nights in a hotel will easily save you $16.

I first joined when I turned 50. Got nothing out of it, so did not renew. My experience has been that most senior discounts are based on age, not whether you belong to AARP.

I joined with a multi-year membership which brought down the cost of membership/year. I did NOT get enough out of it to matter. The moteh discounts were the same as AAA and others. I now maintain the membership on a multi-yers pricing plan for the car insurance which works well for me. I like the idea they canot totally cancel my car insurance which is automatically paid monthly. I took the online driver education program which is a bit of a joke, but the car insurance discount for doing so was worth it.

It is true their politics stink. Thank them in part for the screwed up medicare changes over the years including part D and Obamacare.

Iím an AARP member and use the travel and restaurant discount coupons quite often. Weíve just traveled a few times, but made sure we stayed at places which gave us AARP discounts. My car and home insurance is also through an AARP recommended insurance company (The Hartford) thatís gives special deals to members. The $16 membership fee is recovered many times over if you consider the savings on insurance alone. The flip side is all the mailers you get through them. I really donít care what their political inclination is as long as my membership is getting me some benefits. If you are strongly against their political ideology, you might want to reconsider though.

gwu1986 said: We use AARP for dental insurance, my individual medical HDHP, my husband's supplemental medical J policy, and .....Supplemental "J" Medicare policies provide the same benefits nationwide.
In NJ a Supplemental J policy through AARP costs $100+ extra each month compared to BCBS for those that are 65 years old.
AARP is definitely NOT worth it for supplemental Medicare insurance.
Compare prices before deciding.

I use my AARP card to get a 30% discount on my eyeglasses at Lenscrafters, and considering my glasses cost $700 after the discount the savings is huge. (Yes, Lenscrafters is way expensive, but they have a lab on site and locations in the cities I mostly visit.) You can also get the discount at Pearl Vision, Sears Optical, Target Optical and JC Penney Optical. And 20% discount on contact lenses.

And I like their magazine that comes with the membership. Years ago I used to read my mother's copy when I was only in my 20's and liked it then, and still like it now that I am old........

Along with the eyeglass and contacts discount I posted a few minutes ago, they have a new discount at Denny's, 20% off your check 4-10pm and $1 coffee 24/7.

Go look around their website. Really, for $16 try it for a year, don't like it, don't renew!

swhale said: I use my AARP card to get a 30% discount on my eyeglasses at Lenscrafters, and considering my glasses cost $700 after the discount the savings is huge. (Yes, Lenscrafters is way expensive, but they have a lab on site and locations in the cities I mostly visit.) You can also get the discount at Pearl Vision, Sears Optical, Target Optical and JC Penney Optical. And 20% discount on contact lenses.

And I like their magazine that comes with the membership. Years ago I used to read my mother's copy when I was only in my 20's and liked it then, and still like it now that I am old........

$700? WTF? 30% off of $910 is a "deal"? You really need to hang around these boards a bit longer.

My grandma is in her late 60's and has horrible vision. I got her a pair of gold-plated titanium steel frames with bi-focal, photochromatic ("transition"), progressive high-index lenses for only $108 shipped at Zenni Optical. She has never been happier.

Save your money. AARP is the biggest scam around. It's a front to sell you all sorts of "insurance" you won't opt to buy and a conduit for enough junk mail to start a large fire.

I have aarp. First year free with Walgreens promotes. 12.50 per year for five years. In case your interested Motel 6 will not take AAA but will take aarp for 10% off. Towing plan through aarp is cheaper than AAA. My 2 cents

samm said: Towing plan through aarp is cheaper than AAA. My 2 centsI browsed the AARP web site but could not find anything specifically about the AARP Towing program.
Do you have any link that points to it?
Thanks

For Greling: Glad your grandma is happy. Haven't used Zenni, but tried Costco, Penneys, etc that do not have a lab on premises. Glasses made wrong, send back, wait 2 weeks, bifocal in wrong place, send back, wait again, glasses never quite right, glasses sit in drawer not worn, etc etc etc etc. Time is money, honey. I can afford to pay for good fast service.

BTW, there would probably be a lot more folks contributing to these boards if people like you weren't rude and obnoxious when replying

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014