Regions check cashing fee

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Was in the bank yesterday and saw a sign I've never seen before. If you bring a check written by a Regions customer into the bank to cash the check, and you are not a customer, you pay a fee of $7 to cash that check.

I guess this is the first of the new fees that Congress has given the people of this country with their credit card bill of rights.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I haven't ever tried this, because I actually have a bank account to deposit things into, but don't most banks charge you to cash a check if you are not an account holder?

I've never seen it done on a check drawn from one of their own accounts.

BofA has been doing it for a long time. And OP blaming it on the Credit Card Act is stupid.

WalMart is cheaper. I have yet to figure out why people pay money, to get cash, from a check, that is written to them. Can't figure it out. I suppose some people just don't have bank accounts?

Do the math: what will cost more, income taxes on the check or avoiding Uncle Sam for $7? jk

If you get a bank account you can cash checks against it for free.

There's a whole subculture that doesn't have bank accounts of course.

There are also people who might get stuck with a check of dubious validity who would rather take it to the bank it was drawn on so that they can check if there are funds on deposit and get them before the check writer has a chance to withdraw them. The alternative is risking a $29 returned check fee if they deposit the check in their own account.

Infinion said: WalMart is cheaper. I have yet to figure out why people pay money, to get cash, from a check, that is written to them. Can't figure it out. I suppose some people just don't have bank accounts?I remember seeing a video (might have been here) not too long ago with two guys roaming "the hood" and finding out why people went to check cashing places. They didn't really have a good answer -- they felt that banks didn't understand them but the check cashing places did. They also didn't think the fee was that big of a deal..

These places make tons of money off of this perception, and many of them sell you overpriced bling/DVDs/pipes on your way out.

olegos said: BofA has been doing it for a long time. And OP blaming it on the Credit Card Act is stupid.And Key Bank, and HSBC. Most large banks have done this for years; it's one of the cheapest ways to acquire a new customer. BUT, you might find that actually CHARGING the fee is at the whim of the teller.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014