• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
The Buy.com cards will be replaced with Chase's very uninteresting "Slate" cards.

There doesn't seem to be an opt-out option, to simply let the account terminate.

Has anyone attempted to get the card changed to a Sapphire card instead, to get the 10k in points?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
There were paper letter(s) in postal mail about this, outlining exactly when we will stop earning points on Buy.com purc... (more)

lampy2k4 (Nov. 17, 2010 @ 12:48p) |

Bummer, I missed all those. did not read the fine print, but just paid the bill until received the new Chase Freedom and... (more)

Zt111710 (Nov. 17, 2010 @ 1:07p) |

Buy.com introduces their own in-house rewards program: http://www.buy.com/rakutensuperpoints/

First offer is 20% on Toys ... (more)

lampy2k4 (Nov. 18, 2010 @ 12:20p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

The letter I received said my Buy.com card will be converted to a Sapphire card with no annual fee. Guess I'll have to pay closer attention to the Sapphire materials that will be arriving soon.

Time to put all current purchases on the ol Buy.com card to rack up the last of the GC's there.

vicester said: The Buy.com cards will be replaced with Chase's very uninteresting "Slate" cards.

There doesn't seem to be an opt-out option, to simply let the account terminate.

Has anyone attempted to get the card changed to a Sapphire card instead, to get the 10k in points?

I'm curious, what's the approx. monetary value of the 10k in points? $50 gift card?

As the case has always been, if you want to convert one credit card into another, then you will not be able to receive any "new application" bonus points, credit, or miles. Sadly, to get the 10k points for the no-annual fee Sapphire card, you will have to apply for one.

Yep, got the same letter.. so long, one of my first rewards cards, and thanks for all the cash.

TrueValue said: I'm curious, what's the approx. monetary value of the 10k in points? $50 gift card?
No, $100 statement credit.

hey did you guys get the mail where it says if you don't use your credits by september something, your points will be forfeited? i can't find the letter at the moment but can you guys fill me in?

jamoan123 said: hey did you guys get the mail where it says if you don't use your credits by september something, your points will be forfeited? i can't find the letter at the moment but can you guys fill me in?
Can use the card through September 30 to earn points. Must redeem points before November 15.

Kinda lame that they give us a month to earn enough to get over the minimum $25 needed for a redemption.

jamoan123 said: hey did you guys get the mail where it says if you don't use your credits by september something, your points will be forfeited? i can't find the letter at the moment but can you guys fill me in?
I didn't notice. However, I logged into my Buy.com account to see my visa rewards points accumulation, and this statement was written at the bottom of the page "Although your reward points do not expire, you can redeem no more than 5000 reward points per year."

You might want to login, and capture the Buy.com page that shows your point balance and the statement above to a MHT file. Then when they wipe out your points, you have proof of your balance and proof that you had a reasonable expectation that the points would not evaporate.

I'm considering redeeming my points for a Buy.com g/c, but then will the g/c expire? If the g/c expires, then I'll wait until November to redeem.

[EDIT]
More info:

"Gift certificates will expire if not deposited to your account
within 1 year from purchase date. However, once a gift certificate is
deposited into your account, the gift certificate will not expire."

So what I gather:

You must redeem your Buy.com points for a g/c before Nov. 2010
You must deposit your g/c into your Buy.com account within 1 year
The credit in your Buy.com account never expires

Hmm, so my statement just closed and I only got 1% for the whole balanace - no 3% for Buy.com orders.

EDIT: Well, online inquiry got a very quick reply: "Please be advised, I reviewed your account and adjusted $XX to your rewards balance. You will see this adjustment on your next billing statement."

lampy2k4 said: Kinda lame that they give us a month to earn enough to get over the minimum $25 needed for a redemption.Indeed.

I thought I recalled seeing something here about how they'd waive the $25 minimum for this last redemption, but I can't find it now...sound familiar to anyone?

I've got 18 points towards the 25. Would hate to waste them, but don't see buying $267 worth of stuff at Buy.com (to get 7 more points at 3%) before BF.

DaveHanson said: I thought I recalled seeing something here about how they'd waive the $25 minimum for this last redemption, but I can't find it now...sound familiar to anyone?
I decided to submit a support request and find out - they said "unused rewards are forfeited when an account is closed" but "as a good will gesture we have issued a gift certificate to cover your points" with a certificate code for my current balance.

Hopefully they will extend the goodwill gesture next month as well as I have a few more coming.

Farewell, Buy.com Visa.

Thanks lampy2k4. Did you do this through the Chase secure message system, or through the Buy.com site?

DaveHanson said: Thanks lampy2k4. Did you do this through the Chase secure message system, or through the Buy.com site?
Buy.com

The one nice thing about the Buy.com Chase card is that it qualifies as a Visa Signature card for Fandango purchases. This comes in handy on those occasions when Fandango runs BOGO promos. I hope this hidden (?) benefit won't go away.

Spoke to a Chase/Buy.com rep.. it turns out that the card people automatically get switched to depends on credit line. Small credit lines are not compatible with "signature" level visa cards (like the Sapphire).

I deliberately made my chase/Buy.com credit line quite small, so more credit is available on other cards. It actually works out better this way, because getting a sapphire card would require a separate application, and thus won't lose out on all the signup promos.

lampy2k4 said: DaveHanson said: Thanks lampy2k4. Did you do this through the Chase secure message system, or through the Buy.com site?
Buy.com

I tried asking Buy.com and they just gave me the stupid answer back that you lose all the points once your account is closed. What a joke, they are the ones who changed the credit card on us, and we had no choice in this. I would even think what happened is illegal.

edit: I just mailed a complaint to Chase about this also. But if they aren't going to do anything about it, and the fact that the stupid "Slate" card has absolutely zero rewards on it, I might as well close that account. Typical of something Buy.com would do.

My Amazon.com card and my Chase Freedom cards have good rewards. Buy.com just did this on purpose to get out of paying the rewards.

Strange.. they didn't argue with my request and just issued my gift cert even though I didn't even ask for it.

To make this story longer, Chase messed up and never credited my points from October statement. I politely wrote asking what's up and nicely suggested that appropriate credit of Ultimate Rewards points would be acceptable (since crediting them on next statement would not be accepatble).. they promptly gave me a bunch of UR points.

Mine Chase Buy.com card got converted to a Chase Freedom Card. I called and was informed that I get 1pt (1%) on all purchased. I can cash them out or use for gifts.

When are they sending the new card? I am still using my Buy.com card.

When are they sending the new card? I am still using my Buy.com card.

Did not see this coming, so lost all the points.

This is the chat-log with Buy.com rep- :

"Portia: Thank you for contacting Buy.com Live Chat Support. How may I help you?

Zeth: Hi,

Zeth: Question about my Buy.com visa

Zeth: I noticed, it's been changed to Chase Freedom.

Zeth: Why?

Zeth: Question about my Buy.com visa I noticed, it's been changed to Chase Freedom. Why?

Portia: Sorry to hear about that.

Portia: The Buy.com visa program of Chase has been ended.

Zeth: Without notice?

Portia: The Chase Freedom is their new program but it is not associated with Buy.com

Portia: I apologize.

Zeth: What happen to the reward points, I could not find anywhere in Buy.com (my account)

Portia: You reward points is still on your account.

Portia: It can be converted into a gift certificate.

Portia: You still have a balance of 25 points.

Zeth: Really, I logged on earlier which I did not see any point nor gift certificate at all.

Portia: It is still there. I am looking at it.

Zeth: Could you give me the link, Please

Portia: I apologize but We have a different web page.

Portia: Please log into your account

Portia: and the reward points wll reflect there

Zeth: Which page should I log onto?

Portia: your account

Zeth: I still log on in the account, all I see is balance of $.01

Zeth: Am I looking in the wrong place?

Portia: let me check.

Portia: Thank you for your patience...

Portia: I apologize for the inconvenience Zeth,

Portia: since the Chase program has ended the reward points cannot be accepted on our system anymore.

Portia: I really apologize.

Zeth: Really?

Zeth: Is there anything you can do?

Portia: Yes.

Portia: I apologize there is nothing that we can do anymore.

Portia: The promotion has ended 2 days ago November 15.

Zeth: If I knew, I would do something with my points.

Portia: It was supposed to be Chase bank who notified you.

Portia: Please contact them instead.

Portia: Is there anything else that I can help you with today?

Zeth: No, that would be all.

Portia: It was a pleasure chatting with you today. Good-bye.

Zeth: Thanks for your time and help.

Thank you for chatting with us. To receive a transcript of this chat, or tell us how we did today, please click the "Close" button on the top right of the chat window."

Did not see this coming, so lost all the points.

This is the chat-log with Buy.com rep- :

"Portia: Thank you for contacting Buy.com Live Chat Support. How may I help you?

Zeth: Hi,

Zeth: Question about my Buy.com visa

Zeth: I noticed, it's been changed to Chase Freedom.

Zeth: Why?

Zeth: Question about my Buy.com visa I noticed, it's been changed to Chase Freedom. Why?

Portia: Sorry to hear about that.

Portia: The Buy.com visa program of Chase has been ended.

Portia: The Chase Freedom is their new program but it is not associated with Buy.com

Portia: I apologize.

Zeth: What happen to the reward points, I could not find anywhere in Buy.com (my account)

Portia: You reward points is still on your account.

Portia: It can be converted into a gift certificate.

Portia: You still have a balance of 25 points.

Zeth: Really, I logged on earlier which I did not see any point nor gift certificate at all.

Portia: It is still there. I am looking at it.

Zeth: Could you give me the link, Please

Portia: I apologize but We have a different web page.

Portia: Please log into your account

Portia: and the reward points wll reflect there

Zeth: Which page should I log onto?

Portia: your account

Zeth: I still log on in the account, all I see is balance of $.01

Zeth: Am I looking in the wrong place?

Portia: let me check.

Portia: Thank you for your patience...

Portia: I apologize for the inconvenience Zeth,

Portia: since the Chase program has ended the reward points cannot be accepted on our system anymore.

Zeth: Really?

Zeth: Is there anything you can do?

Portia: Yes.

Portia: I apologize there is nothing that we can do anymore.

Portia: The promotion has ended 2 days ago November 15.

Zeth: If I knew, I would do something with my points.

Portia: It was supposed to be Chase bank who notified you.

Portia: Please contact them instead.

Portia: Is there anything else that I can help you with today?

Zeth: No, that would be all.

Portia: It was a pleasure chatting with you today. Good-bye.

Zeth: Thanks for your time and help.

Thank you for chatting with us. To receive a transcript of this chat, or tell us how we did today, please click the "Close" button on the top right of the chat window."

No notice? Certainly there was a notice (or maybe even several) in my and everyone else's mailbox 3 months ago when this thread was started.

You can try talking to Chase and they may give you a few of their new points as a courtesy.

Oops! sorry guys, double post.

No, notice. unless it's in the junk or spam boxes. I just emailed Chase and waiting for reply.
3 months ago, really? ah... wish that I found this site earlier.
Thanks.

There were paper letter(s) in postal mail about this, outlining exactly when we will stop earning points on Buy.com purchases, when they can be last redeemed and when the program will end completely.

Bummer, I missed all those. did not read the fine print, but just paid the bill until received the new Chase Freedom and starting to wonder why have those without applying then when compared the number on Buy-com visa, they matched.
Well, I guess it's time to cancel the brand new Chase Freedom.
Thanks, lampy2k4.

Buy.com introduces their own in-house rewards program: http://www.buy.com/rakutensuperpoints/

First offer is 20% on Toys & Baby and 3% on everything else.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014