• Search this Topic »
rated:
billrubin said:   
tehlorax said:   
tomprc said:   
tehlorax said:   
billrubin said:   
MisterEd said:   
SegaRob said:   yes, i have been under the proverbial rock (also known as living outside the FWF forums)

is there anything akin to AP that is still alive?

Check out SERVE.  Not quite the same but it will accomplish the same thing.

They won't let you use pre-paid debit cards. I managed to get a couple thru, then I couldn't add anything, even valid credit cards. I had to call their customer service and they insisted on calling the card issuers I wanted to add to verify that it was my account before letting me add anything else.

Would love to hear of a way to empty pre-paid cards. A while ago someone claimed you could get a cash advance at some banks but I never had any luck doing that.

Huh?  You load Serve at WM or FD, just like Bluebird.

Have you actually done this? I don't think serve can be loaded at wm.

Yes.  Have you been living under a rock?

There's no need to be nasty, but I guess it's to be expected on FWF. And it's not "living under a rock" so much as not having had a need to do it and only knowing what was originally supported.

I read some posts elsewhere and it was not clear that pre-paid debit cards can still be used for loading to Serve at WM. Is it a self-service process to load the card or does an employee have to be involved? I've never done this stuf fat WM, the one near my sucks but I'll be near a Super WM tomorrow so I will try it.

It wasn't meant to be nasty.  Im honestly shocked that folks on here don't know about this.  Especially you since you've been around so long.

rated:
tehlorax said:   It wasn't meant to be nasty.  Im honestly shocked that folks on here don't know about this.  Especially you since you've been around so long.
It appears that they only added WalMart in April. The only time I had the need to load to my Serve card at a store was before that, and I did it at CVS because it was the only place convenient to me. My local WalMart is terrible and I only go there when absolutely necessary. And I don't do MS, my use for Amazon Payments has been to cash out debit cards.

Update: was unable to try it at WM today as there were 4 people in line for customer service and I didn't have time to wait.

rated:
This forum is for friendly information/experience exchange; people are not expected to be totally up-to-date on every deal/skill. 

rated:
billrubin said:   
tehlorax said:   It wasn't meant to be nasty.  Im honestly shocked that folks on here don't know about this.  Especially you since you've been around so long.
It appears that they only added WalMart in April. The only time I had the need to load to my Serve card at a store was before that, and I did it at CVS because it was the only place convenient to me. My local WalMart is terrible and I only go there when absolutely necessary. And I don't do MS, my use for Amazon Payments has been to cash out debit cards.

Update: was unable to try it at WM today as there were 4 people in line for customer service and I didn't have time to wait.

You can load Serve at WM.  At the kiosk, choosing either WalMart Moneycard or Bluebird work for Serve.  The problem of late is that Vanilla cards (OneVanilla and Vanilla Visa) are being rejected by WalMart's POS system.  Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.  There doesn't seem to be any discernible pattern.  If you're willing to risk your time, the potential awkward situation, etc, you can swipe the OV/VV as many times as they will let you to try to get it to work.  Sometimes they take 1 swipe, sometimes I've done 8 and they don't work.  I always do this at the kiosk.  I've basically given up on Vanilla GC use at WM though.  Stick to Metabank and US Bank VGC (I have a source for neither, so my trips to WM have lessened).  OV/VV do work for loading at Family Dollar, which is why many people prefer it to WM.  Negative is you can't do $2500 in a single trip like at WM.

rated:
76hhma said:   This forum is for friendly information/experience exchange; people are not expected to be totally up-to-date on every deal/skill. 

Yes,and serious people only.  NO SHENANIGANS HERE!!!

If WalMart doesn't work, try family dollar, as I already suggested.

rated:
dukerau said:   You can load Serve at WM.  At the kiosk, choosing either WalMart Moneycard or Bluebird work for Serve.  The problem of late is that Vanilla cards (OneVanilla and Vanilla Visa) are being rejected by WalMart's POS system.  Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.  There doesn't seem to be any discernible pattern.  If you're willing to risk your time, the potential awkward situation, etc, you can swipe the OV/VV as many times as they will let you to try to get it to work.  Sometimes they take 1 swipe, sometimes I've done 8 and they don't work.  I always do this at the kiosk.  I've basically given up on Vanilla GC use at WM though.  Stick to Metabank and US Bank VGC (I have a source for neither, so my trips to WM have lessened).  OV/VV do work for loading at Family Dollar, which is why many people prefer it to WM.  Negative is you can't do $2500 in a single trip like at WM.
Should there have been a self-service kiosk? I did not see one. The MoneyCenter sign was with customer service and the only kiosk I saw in that area was to apply for a job at WM. Maybe I should have looked around more.

Does it work reliably at Family Dollar? I think I have one around here. I have a pre-paid debit card with a  PIN (from Staples).

rated:
niniss said:   
stanolshefski said:   

Some pre-paids allow you to request a PIN.

Do you know what type?  I bought 3x$500 vanilla prepaid card and now I'm stuck with them.   

I'll take them off your hands for $400 each.    

rated:
billrubin said:   
dukerau said:   You can load Serve at WM.  At the kiosk, choosing either WalMart Moneycard or Bluebird work for Serve.  The problem of late is that Vanilla cards (OneVanilla and Vanilla Visa) are being rejected by WalMart's POS system.  Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.  There doesn't seem to be any discernible pattern.  If you're willing to risk your time, the potential awkward situation, etc, you can swipe the OV/VV as many times as they will let you to try to get it to work.  Sometimes they take 1 swipe, sometimes I've done 8 and they don't work.  I always do this at the kiosk.  I've basically given up on Vanilla GC use at WM though.  Stick to Metabank and US Bank VGC (I have a source for neither, so my trips to WM have lessened).  OV/VV do work for loading at Family Dollar, which is why many people prefer it to WM.  Negative is you can't do $2500 in a single trip like at WM.
Should there have been a self-service kiosk? I did not see one. The MoneyCenter sign was with customer service and the only kiosk I saw in that area was to apply for a job at WM. Maybe I should have looked around more.

Does it work reliably at Family Dollar? I think I have one around here. I have a pre-paid debit card with a  PIN (from Staples).

From Staples is probably issued by Metabank so will work fine at WM (you can read the fine print on the back of the card to see who issues it).  Some WMs don't have kiosks, but I wouldn't hesitate to use a Metabank at the MoneyCenter or a register.  If it's a MasterCard, you'll have to hit cancel after swiping to override it trying to run as credit.  If it's Visa, just swipe and it prompt you for PIN.

You can also use it at Family Dollar if you want.  Just grab a Vanilla Reload card, take it to the register.  They scan the VR, you swipe your Serve card on the terminal, they ask the amount, you confirm amount, swipe the prepaid debit, and type in PIN.  No issues at FD (I've never tried a MC there; the same 'cancel' workaround may be required).

rated:
dukerau said:   
billrubin said:   

You can load Serve at WM.  At the kiosk, choosing either WalMart Moneycard or Bluebird work for Serve.  The problem of late is that Vanilla cards (OneVanilla and Vanilla Visa) are being rejected by WalMart's POS system.  Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.  There doesn't seem to be any discernible pattern.  If you're willing to risk your time, the potential awkward situation, etc, you can swipe the OV/VV as many times as they will let you to try to get it to work.  Sometimes they take 1 swipe, sometimes I've done 8 and they don't work.  I always do this at the kiosk.  I've basically given up on Vanilla GC use at WM though.  Stick to Metabank and US Bank VGC (I have a source for neither, so my trips to WM have lessened).  OV/VV do work for loading at Family Dollar, which is why many people prefer it to WM.  Negative is you can't do $2500 in a single trip like at WM.

When I tried (OV) at WalMart, it was very late so no other customers behind me, the check out guy was very patient, we tried several times, he even tried at another register but no difference. 
You say OV/VV works at Family Dollar, but do they require PIN?  Thanks.

rated:
MisterEd said:   
niniss said:   
stanolshefski said:   

Do you know what type?  I bought 3x$500 vanilla prepaid card and now I'm stuck with them.   

20% off?  What are you, shark?  lol

rated:
MisterEd said:   
niniss said:   
stanolshefski said:   

Hey man, be serious here.  Geez

rated:
niniss said:   
dukerau said:   
billrubin said:   

When I tried (OV) at WalMart, it was very late so no other customers behind me, the check out guy was very patient, we tried several times, he even tried at another register but no difference. 

Yes

rated:
tehlorax said:   
niniss said:   

Yes

So how do you get the PIN for OV/VV?  I double checked the OV package, there isn't a mention of any PIN or how to get it.  TIA!

UPDATE:  I just called the 1800 number on the back of the VGC and they told me the PIN can be any 4 digits of my choice.  That was easy! 

rated:
billrubin said:   Should there have been a self-service kiosk? I did not see one. The MoneyCenter sign was with customer service and the only kiosk I saw in that area was to apply for a job at WM. Maybe I should have looked around more.

Don't sweat the pennies. Just buy a money order at WM for $0.70. Supposedly you can use up to 4 debit cards with PIN to buy MO. Cash MO at bank.

rated:
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
billrubin said:   Should there have been a self-service kiosk? I did not see one. The MoneyCenter sign was with customer service and the only kiosk I saw in that area was to apply for a job at WM. Maybe I should have looked around more.

Don't sweat the pennies. Just buy a money order at WM for $0.70. Supposedly you can use up to 4 debit cards with PIN to buy MO. Cash MO at bank.

Went to Family Dollar and they refused to do the reload with my debit cards, said cash only (this after the first cashier said she did not know how to do it). So I gave in and went to WM and was able to do the reload without problems. Went to customer service because the line wasn't THAT bad, and the person there told me I could have gone to any register.  I'm sure they would not have known how to handle loading from 3 cards like the person who I got did.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014