• filter:
  • 113 14 15161736
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
daw4888 said:   can you use pre-paid visa cards to send payments with Amazon payments?I've tried and failed all three times I had Visa gift/debit cards.

They work fine with Paypal and for regular Amazon purchases, however

rated:
monto888 said:   daw4888 said:   can you use pre-paid visa cards to send payments with Amazon payments?I've tried and failed all three times I had Visa gift/debit cards.

They work fine with Paypal and for regular Amazon purchases, however
It's probably because you are using the full amount of the gift card. You need to use $1 less because they do a "test auth" for $1 before the main auth. I then redeemed the $1 using Squareup which costs me 2.75cents per dollar.

rated:
I do this on the first of every month , and today I am getting a "transaction denied" message , anyone else get this ?

rated:
MRTHNMAN said:   I do this on the first of every month , and today I am getting a "transaction denied" message , anyone else get this ? Nope, no problem here. Are you sure it's not your CC causing the problem?

rated:
MidnightLight said:   MisterEd said:   Been sending $997 from A->B and from B>A in one shot from same computer for well over a year with no problems. Both accounts have their own SSN attached.
I got shut down by them last year for essentially the same activity. YMMV, but you may want to be careful.
Should I have anything to worry about if I send credit card funds from A->B and then B sends to their bank account? I have some rebate debit cards to clear out and I've overpaid my Verizon account by several hundred dollars already.

rated:
billrubin said:   MidnightLight said:   MisterEd said:   Been sending $997 from A->B and from B>A in one shot from same computer for well over a year with no problems. Both accounts have their own SSN attached.
I got shut down by them last year for essentially the same activity. YMMV, but you may want to be careful.
Should I have anything to worry about if I send credit card funds from A->B and then B sends to their bank account? I have some rebate debit cards to clear out and I've overpaid my Verizon account by several hundred dollars already.

A>B, B>bank account is about as normal of a transaction as you can get. I have no problems doing this and sometimes have a C in the mix.

rated:
depreshun said:   A>B, B>bank account is about as normal of a transaction as you can get. I have no problems doing this and sometimes have a C in the mix.How about numerous A>B from different credit cards? Or is that not a problem so long as B only transfers the money out to a bank account?

I'm just being overly cautious because I don't want them doing anything to my "A" account.

rated:
billrubin said:   depreshun said:   A>B, B>bank account is about as normal of a transaction as you can get. I have no problems doing this and sometimes have a C in the mix.How about numerous A>B from different credit cards? Or is that not a problem so long as B only transfers the money out to a bank account?

I'm just being overly cautious because I don't want them doing anything to my "A" account.

For the last several months, I have done the same with numerous cards, draining Visa cash cards, etc. No problems so far. But, as you know, there are always risks involved.

rated:
Does Citi treat amazonpayments as a cash advance or a normal purchase? Also does anyone know if citi treats AMEX giftcards bought online from AMEX as cash advances or normal purchases?

rated:
daw4888 said:   Does Citi treat amazonpayments as a cash advance or a normal purchase? Also does anyone know if citi treats AMEX giftcards bought online from AMEX as cash advances or normal purchases?

AMEX treats AMEX giftcard purchases from AMEX as normal purchases, but does not give you reward points. I am specifically referring to an American Express CC not an AMEX branded card from another bank and purchasing directly from American Express and not from a 3rd party such as a Grocery Store.

rated:
dhl said:   daw4888 said:   Does Citi treat amazonpayments as a cash advance or a normal purchase? Also does anyone know if citi treats AMEX giftcards bought online from AMEX as cash advances or normal purchases?

AMEX treats AMEX giftcard purchases from AMEX as normal purchases, but does not give you reward points. I am specifically referring to an American Express CC not an AMEX branded card from another bank and purchasing directly from American Express and not from a 3rd party such as a Grocery Store.
I've received reward points when purchasing AMEX GCs direct from AMEX with a Starwood personal card and a Biz Gold card on several occasions, the most recent of which was a few weeks ago.

rated:
kjgco said:   dhl said:   daw4888 said:   Does Citi treat amazonpayments as a cash advance or a normal purchase? Also does anyone know if citi treats AMEX giftcards bought online from AMEX as cash advances or normal purchases?

I've received reward points when purchasing AMEX GCs direct from AMEX with a Starwood personal card and a Biz Gold card on several occasions, the most recent of which was a few weeks ago.

I didn't get any membership rewards points when I did the purchase on an AMEX Premier Rewards Gold Card.

rated:
dhl said:   kjgco said:   dhl said:   daw4888 said:   Does Citi treat amazonpayments as a cash advance or a normal purchase? Also does anyone know if citi treats AMEX giftcards bought online from AMEX as cash advances or normal purchases?

I didn't get any membership rewards points when I did the purchase on an AMEX Premier Rewards Gold Card.
Interesting! I did notice that I didn't receive reward points for serve.com.

rated:
Yes, I get that part. But does anyone know if buying an AMEX giftcard with a Citi Visa card would result in Citi charging cash advance fees? Or is it treated just like a normal transaction. I heard Citi does weird things.

rated:
daw4888 said:   Yes, I get that part. But does anyone know if buying an AMEX giftcard with a Citi Visa card would result in Citi charging cash advance fees? Or is it treated just like a normal transaction. I heard Citi does weird things. If you but it from Walgreens, CVS, supermarket etc etc I can't imagine why it would but directly from AMEX, don't know.

rated:
MisterEd said:   daw4888 said:   Yes, I get that part. But does anyone know if buying an AMEX giftcard with a Citi Visa card would result in Citi charging cash advance fees? Or is it treated just like a normal transaction. I heard Citi does weird things. If you but it from Walgreens, CVS, supermarket etc etc I can't imagine why it would but directly from AMEX, don't know.

Ya, I figured buying it form Walgreens would be ok, but they only sell $500 cards for liek 6.95 fee. At AMEX you get can get $3000 cards for a 4 dollar fee. I have some bills that wont take VISA as payment but trying to meet the spending requirements on a few visa cards.

rated:
depreshun said:   billrubin said:   MidnightLight said:   MisterEd said:   Been sending $997 from A->B and from B>A in one shot from same computer for well over a year with no problems. Both accounts have their own SSN attached.

A>B, B>bank account is about as normal of a transaction as you can get. I have no problems doing this and sometimes have a C in the mix.

Do u mean u have the same SSN attached to accounts A, B and C?

rated:
ihuazai said:   depreshun said:   billrubin said:   MidnightLight said:   MisterEd said:   Been sending $997 from A->B and from B>A in one shot from same computer for well over a year with no problems. Both accounts have their own SSN attached.

I highly doubt that. Not sure if that would even work.

rated:
MisterEd said:   ihuazai said:   depreshun said:   billrubin said:   MidnightLight said:   MisterEd said:   Been sending $997 from A->B and from B>A in one shot from same computer for well over a year with no problems. Both accounts have their own SSN attached.

I do that. A>B, B>C, C>A with the same ssn. I agree that it's risky though. It's better to be able to use multiple ssn. But hey, no risk no reward.

rated:
musicdef13 said:   MisterEd said:   ihuazai said:   depreshun said:   billrubin said:   MidnightLight said:   MisterEd said:   Been sending $997 from A->B and from B>A in one shot from same computer for well over a year with no problems. Both accounts have their own SSN attached.

I do that. A>B, B>C, C>A with the same ssn. I agree that it's risky though. It's better to be able to use multiple ssn. But hey, no risk no reward.

u have one bank account attached to each Amazon account? so thats $1000x3 per month?

rated:
Interesting...out of curiosity why transfer to C? If they all have the same SSN, it's not any more difficult for Amazon to track, compared to A>B

rated:
emgeecee said:   Interesting...out of curiosity why transfer to C? If they all have the same SSN, it's not any more difficult for Amazon to track, compared to A>B

My B and C are family members and Amazon does not have any of our SSN's. You can close out that popup warning and do the transaction without giving up your SSN.

rated:
emgeecee said:   Interesting...out of curiosity why transfer to C? If they all have the same SSN, it's not any more difficult for Amazon to track, compared to A>B

2k vs 3k? It was established early on by others that 3 was the max limit per ssn before people started to get shut down for multiple accounts. Reading the whole thread is really good for picking up clues on how to not get yourself flagged and locked out of your accounts.

All of my accounts have different bank accounts attached. All three accounts have the same name, but different variations of the first name. Like Rob, Robby, Robert, etc.

rated:
I seem to be capped at $500. I have ignored the requests to give my SSN (I opened my 2 before it was required). Anyone else capped at $500? I'm not sure if it's due to them not having my SSN or if I have been put on some sort of watch and had my cap reduced.

rated:
dukerau said:   I seem to be capped at $500. I have ignored the requests to give my SSN (I opened my 2 before it was required). Anyone else capped at $500? I'm not sure if it's due to them not having my SSN or if I have been put on some sort of watch and had my cap reduced.

just sent mt 1k. I input SS though.
When you goto account limits, it says $500?

rated:
Its 500 until you have linked a CC and Bank account IIRC.

rated:
daw4888 said:   Its 500 until you have linked a CC and Bank account IIRC.
That was it. Thanks!

rated:
Any problems using a BofA American Express card?

rated:
Just a quick question. What are people sending money to themselves that provided SSN doing when they send you a 1099 at the end of the year (I don't know for sure, but I am afraid they will)?. What needs to be done to avoid having to pay taxes on this? What support or forms need to be filled out to show that this isn't income?

rated:
shayis said:   Just a quick question. What are people sending money to themselves that provided SSN doing when they send you a 1099 at the end of the year (I don't know for sure, but I am afraid they will)?. What needs to be done to avoid having to pay taxes on this? What support or forms need to be filled out to show that this isn't income?

did you even bother to search 1099 in this thread before asking that question?
been addressed multiple times, the search returns 2 pages of results.

rated:
Sure did Jackass.

And there is no clear answer. Most people just speculating that they won't. The requirements for reporting are 20k and 200 transactions. But that doesn't mean they might not send one anyway. For 2011 they claimed that they wouldn't if you didn't exceed the limit, but what's stopping them from changing this policy at any time in 2012?

Then what do you do if they send you one anyway?

Next time instead of making snarky comments, if you don't have anything constructive to say, try shutting up.

Or was that your answer, to tell the IRS to do a search for 1099 in this thread?

rated:
glxpass said:   jlgrandam said:   The rules start in 2011 for sending 1099-K forms for >200 transactions or > $20K. AFAIK these are hard limits but the service (Amazon) is allowed to send the form for ANY amount of transactions/payments. Thus I am worried that they might send them out for even 1 payment made in 2011.
Yes, I should have read more carefully about this starting in 2011, and, yes, Amazon could send one a 1099-K anyway. As others have pointed out, however, why would Amazon want to make more work for itself?

Finally, it is an *and* relationship between the two conditions, not an *or* relationship. Please see IRS - 1099-K Instructions for details.

quoting the first post for search on 1099 for all the information available to all the questions you have asked.

rated:
I have absolutely no idea what the hell that is supposed to explain. You are restating yet again that Amazon is not required to unless the both minimum levels are reached.

And I agree that chances are they won't. My question is what happens if they do anyway.

rated:
swintec said:   MisterEd said:   Haven't yet tried for Novemeber but I have been sending back and forth to my wife for months. What would a 1099 matter? The money isn't hidden. No laws are being broken. No taxes are being avoided. If anything it would be an Amazon issue for permitting it.

Are there any laws against moving money between 2 people in the same house?

No, no law being broken, but if getting a 1099, it is up to you to SHOW that there was no income from it, on your taxes. We all know what we are doing is fine, but for every one of us that is fine, there is 2+ who are trying to pull the wool over the IRS.

quoting another relevant post that came up with an easy search for 1099

rated:
I can't believe you keep copying and pasting posts that don't answer the question.

Please stop. It is really annoying.

HOW would you show that there is no income from it? What forms would you need to fill out, and where would you put the amount that you are sending, to show that the "income" that Amazon might report would net out to $0?

rated:
If Amazon were to send a 1099-k into the IRS, it would be to report revenue.
You don't pay taxes on revenue, you pay taxes on profit/income.
So you would still fill out whatever form you would normally fill out to prove your profit/income to the IRS, and the 1099-k from Amazon would be a part of that.
If the 1099-k reports 12k revenue from one person to another, and your tax forms show 0k profit, you pay taxes on 0k profit.

rated:
shayis said:   I can't believe you keep copying and pasting posts that don't answer the question.

Please stop. It is really annoying.

HOW would you show that there is no income from it? What forms would you need to fill out, and where would you put the amount that you are sending, to show that the "income" that Amazon might report would net out to $0?

Stop being a jack ass and go ask a CPA. We have no obligation to answer your questions, especially when you are being a total tool.

rated:
shayis said:   HOW would you show that there is no income from it? What forms would you need to fill out, and where would you put the amount that you are sending, to show that the "income" that Amazon might report would net out to $0?
Taking away the personal comments, my guess is that you'd fill in the tax forms as usual, and submit the 1099-K if applicable. If the transactions are taxable income, you'd include the appropriate schedules if necessary -- IOW, what you'd do even if you hadn't received a 1099-K.

Regardless, I'd keep detailed transaction audit trails with contemporaneous comments describing the nature of the transactions so that if you're audited, the information is easily available and possibly reconcilable to other information on your tax forms.

You really need to talk with a tax professional about these kinds of questions. I suspect, though, that there will be no definitive answers until the IRS issues some guidelines about them. I'm sure others would be grateful to hear about any information you were able to obtain.

rated:
If XYZ has 2 AP accounts with same SSN with slightly modifed name XYZ and XYZ-B, makes transaction from XYZ -> ABC, another transaction from XYZ-B -> CBA... different IPs...

Is the above transaction ok? any chance to get flagged?

rated:
chandrutcs said:   If XYZ has 2 AP accounts with same SSN with slightly modifed name XYZ and XYZ-B, makes transaction from XYZ -> ABC, another transaction from XYZ-B -> CBA... different IPs...

Is the above transaction ok? any chance to get flagged?
No, you're lookin' at 20 yrs in the hoosgow and don't turn your back on big Ralph.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014