• 156 7 89
  • Page
  • Text Only
lithalum said: Can you ACH from schwab and then close it?Thank you for call FWF support. Please hold. Our Schwab experts are busy. We apologize for the extended wait time. Alternatively, your answer can be found through our resources here

Got 2% in my Schwab One account. I didn't made any change. The transaction appeared as CashBack from "FIA Card Services" via Moneylink.

Tintin

Received my 2% CashBack yesterday in my BofA checking account. I already cleared out my Schwab One account with an ACH to BofA and will now close it.........

Expected funds (over $1100) showed up in Schwab brokerage as expected. These funds are shown as available for investment.

However, fund available for withdrawal are 0, presumably reflecting their 3 day hold on new funds. While this will earn a little bit of interest, it is less than Schwab Bank pays (and less than many money market accounts). Hence unless you plan to invest immediately via Schwab in a mutual fund, you probably should have the funds going to a bank or credit union. Even if you plan to buy stocks or ETF via Schwab, you have 3 days to pay and you may be able to get the money from a bank to them in that time (depends on whether your bank places a hold on these funds).

It is not yet clear, at least to me, how fast changes in allocation take place. If they are rapid enough, you could easily change the destination of the funds to where you will need them. (i.e. if planning to trade via Schwab or another brokerage, sent it to them), if not to a bank or credit union with a high rate, or where you have payments scheduled to be billed. I have several automatic payments set up to come from Schwab checking near the first of the month, so I have set it up for most to go there (a small 1% is set to go to a CITIbank account in the hope it will count as a direct deposit and earn a few Thank you points, and another 1% to a BOA account to see how it looks there and so I can try to determine if it meets their direct deposit requirement

Since the amount to be sent is determined when the statement closes, which I understand cannot be set to be later than the 27th of a month, you will know how much money is coming (and their nice system let you see earlier what amounts are pending). Until we know from experience how fast changes in the allocation between accounts take place, it is risky to plan on changing the allocation of the funds and counting on having them in the new place quickly.

I called to close out my Schwab One today, which now has a $0.00 balance, and was told that I could keep it open with no monthly fees. I like some of their educational/webinar programs which are available only to account holders and will therefore keep the account.

Received my monthly rewards directly into a checking account. Much better!

sayhey said: I called to close out my Schwab One today, which now has a $0.00 balance, and was told that I could keep it open with no monthly fees. I like some of their educational/webinar programs which are available only to account holders and will therefore keep the account.
They said that they will keep your account open with zero balance? I know from personal experience that some banks, etc will close your account after certain amount of time having a zero balance. In fact, when I once wanted to close a bank account, they told me to bring the balance to zero and it will close automatically.

From the very first post in this thread:

Q: Will there be any changes to my Schwab One brokerage account that is linked to my Invest First credit card?

A: There will be no changes to your Schwab One brokerage account as a result of this sponsorship change. You will continue to enjoy no account balance minimums on your Schwab One brokerage account.

markb1024 said: From the very first post in this thread:

Q: Will there be any changes to my Schwab One brokerage account that is linked to my Invest First credit card?

A: There will be no changes to your Schwab One brokerage account as a result of this sponsorship change. You will continue to enjoy no account balance minimums on your Schwab One brokerage account.


This does not mean, though, that they won't start charging folks for inactivity (don't have my Terms handy to see if these charges are in them).

Anybody else having trouble with mint after the card sponsorship change?

I can't delete my old schwab account since I think I'll lose all of my transactions on it (correct me if I'm wrong here)

ensignlee said: Anybody else having trouble with mint after the card sponsorship change?

I can't delete my old schwab account since I think I'll lose all of my transactions on it (correct me if I'm wrong here)

Yodlee had similar issues with the new challenge questions, but it got fixed last week.

My card was replaced a few months ago due to changes Schwab Bank made to all the credit cards. Now it is replaced again due to some kind of claimed security breach. The letter had the exact same wording as a BofA letter sent to others months ago: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/994435/
Are they related?
The account "may have been compromised at an undisclosed third-party location."

The new card is no longer labeled Schwab, but "Cash Rewards." Generic. Doesn't even say FIA on the front.
I wonder if they are replacing all the cards in this way?

web1b said:
The new card is no longer labeled Schwab, but "Cash Rewards." Generic. Doesn't even say FIA on the front.
I wonder if they are replacing all the cards in this way?
Awesome. You are more focused on the way the color of plastic and what it looks like than the rewards. Please post in OT

ellory said: web1b said:
The new card is no longer labeled Schwab, but "Cash Rewards." Generic. Doesn't even say FIA on the front.
I wonder if they are replacing all the cards in this way?
Awesome. You are more focused on the way the color of plastic and what it looks like than the rewards. Please post in OT


ok, we get it, you don't like people talking about the card's appearance. It's not like that's the only piece of info in his post.

Received a letter from FIA re: Bill Pay being funded by the credit card:

Can no longer do that beginning 11/7/10

Payments scheduled for Feb 12, 2011 or after will be cancelled.

Boo!

You'll need to fund bill payments from a checking or money market account.

Will post the letter when I get a chance.

I replaced my card today because the magnetic strip was getting worn out. It is black, with a swirl on it. Pretty flimsy, that's my only complaint. Oh well, hope it stays 2%

zgenerale said: Received a letter from FIA re: Bill Pay being funded by the credit card:

Can no longer do that beginning 11/7/10
Payments scheduled for Feb 12, 2011 or after will be cancelled.
...Will post the letter when I get a chance.


This has been discussed at length in the mbna billpay thread. Bill Pay Choice, both from BoA and the FIA subsidiary, will no longer accept payments from credit cards.

I know Im going to get red since it may have been answered before.... but did the No Foreign Transaction Fee part of this card get changed?

Im going out of the country for a week and would love to use this card.

MiaFLSurf said: I know Im going to get red since it may have been answered before.... but did the No Foreign Transaction Fee part of this card get changed?

Im going out of the country for a week and would love to use this card.


no changes yet.

MBNA's "fraud" detection system has to be the worst.

I travel between Europe, Australia and Asia for work and spend half the time outside of the US with an average bill of $6000/month, and somehow every second trip my account is flagged for unusual activity. Oddly, it's the $2000 hotel charge that sends a flag for unusual activity, and not some crazy cab driver in Melbourne using my card number within a few hours of a charge for dinner in France (mag-strip present).

Anyway, I called FIA card services today to sort out another one of these "fraud" warning and asked about benefits. The woman seemed to have a pretty scripted answer that international transaction fees will continue to be waived, rewards will remain at 2% well into the foreseeable future. We'll be receiving new cards in 2011, but it doesn't seem to be a priority for them.

According to the woman, MBNA doesn't offer any other cards with 2% C@sh Back, and won't be offering another card like this. I wonder if she knows about the 2% bankamericard?

I second the fraud detection. I have to call in almost every week, sometimes 2x in a week. They are always very nice, but it is annoying to call in so often. Guess spending 100k a month on purchases will trigger stuff though. Its a great card, my card benefits are more than many peoples full time job. (unfortunately in retail sales I still end up with a loss, but it is closer to 0.5% loss instead of 2.5%)

fia's site is so bad, it's always down

sc300tt said: fia's site is so bad, it's always down

Green.

I'm so frustrated with FIA. Tried checking my balance, site is down.

Such a pain from the user experience. Instability, difficult to navigate, no billpay, no automated "Pay balance in full", etc....

I blame Schwab as well for pawning us off to such a sketchy company.

Risking credit score is not worth my time and the 2%. Will keep for when I travel (No foreign transaction fees, yet), but too risky carrying my monthly high balance cc purchases with them.

Sad, I loved this card. Oh well, all good things come to an end.

Heffer said: sc300tt said: fia's site is so bad, it's always down

Green.

I'm so frustrated with FIA. Tried checking my balance, site is down.

Such a pain from the user experience. Instability, difficult to navigate, no billpay, no automated "Pay balance in full", etc....

I blame Schwab as well for pawning us off to such a sketchy company.

Risking credit score is not worth my time and the 2%. Will keep for when I travel (No foreign transaction fees, yet), but too risky carrying my monthly high balance cc purchases with them.

Sad, I loved this card. Oh well, all good things come to an end.


First of all, FIA is Bank of America so hardly a "sketchy" company. It's not like it's some backwater.

Secondly, what do you mean by no bill pay? I've been able to pay my FIA bill online for years now. The web site may not be the prettiest but it definitely works.

Third, How is it risky to carry monthly high balances?

Finally, the posted who at 5:23am on a Sunday morning said that FIA's site is always done. Almost ALL banks do maintenance on Saturday nights/Sunday morning.

I have maintained zero balance accounts in Schwab for months with no problem. I suspect Schwab is more interested in keeping the bulk of my retirement savings in my other accounts.

My experience with the card web site has not changed. The site has been available for me, and the only significant change appears to be the graphics (they do need to create a favicon server file so that the bookmark icon doesn't show up as a blank in my browser toolbar. Minor complaint).

As long as FIA keeps the 2% benefit, I am encouraged if I see them scrimpimg on advertising, corporate promotion, or graphic design on the website or the card itself.

sc300tt said: fia's site is so bad, it's always down

I had the same problem with the Schwab site before the change. It seems like business as usual so far.

islandguy84 said: Heffer said: sc300tt said: fia's site is so bad, it's always down

Green.

I'm so frustrated with FIA. Tried checking my balance, site is down.

Such a pain from the user experience. Instability, difficult to navigate, no billpay, no automated "Pay balance in full", etc....

I blame Schwab as well for pawning us off to such a sketchy company.

Risking credit score is not worth my time and the 2%. Will keep for when I travel (No foreign transaction fees, yet), but too risky carrying my monthly high balance cc purchases with them.

Sad, I loved this card. Oh well, all good things come to an end.


First of all, FIA is Bank of America so hardly a "sketchy" company. It's not like it's some backwater.

Secondly, what do you mean by no bill pay? I've been able to pay my FIA bill online for years now. The web site may not be the prettiest but it definitely works.

Third, How is it risky to carry monthly high balances?

Finally, the posted who at 5:23am on a Sunday morning said that FIA's site is always done. Almost ALL banks do maintenance on Saturday nights/Sunday morning.


1.) Its Thursday morning when I checked it. At the very least the site should have a "down for maintenance" sign. Instead I get Firefox's "Unable to connect" which makes it look like the site completely vanished.

2.) I read BillPay was coming to an end as of next year. Correct me if I'm wrong.

3.) Risky because I need to be able to check my balance and pay my bill at any time. (Save for standard maintenance schedule). Since they don't include an automated option to pay your balance in full each month, I need to do this manually. A pain. Definitely lowers consumer confidence.

never had a problem with the FIA card site --- I have always liked the minimalist website design --- and I like the card design and graphics

in addition, customer service has been good --- and my interest rate is around 5% on my Schwab card --- I am not worried about Schwab ending things

my FIA Fidelity Mastercard returns 2% to my 529

all is good with me

Heffer said:
3.) Risky because I need to be able to check my balance and pay my bill at any time. (Save for standard maintenance schedule). Since they don't include an automated option to pay your balance in full each month, I need to do this manually. A pain. Definitely lowers consumer confidence.


As others have mentioned in the past........call the tollfree number on your card and tell them what you want. They will send you a piece of paper to fill out and send back to start autopay in full. Works fine.

Heffer said: islandguy84 said: Heffer said: sc300tt said:
2.) I read BillPay was coming to an end as of next year. Correct me if I'm wrong.





Correction (written by ProfEd):
What is ending is the ability to use their bill pay site to pay other bills from your FIA card. This was a valuable feature unique to their cards, and some badly worded comments may have led you to believe the whole Bill Pay was to disappear. You should be able to continue to use the Bill Pay to pay the card itself.

All this is discussed in a thread title MBNA Bill pay (MBNA is the firm that is now FIA).All this is discussed in a thread title MBNA Bill pay (MBNA is the firm that is now FIA).

Heffer said: 1.) Its Thursday morning when I checked it. At the very least the site should have a "down for maintenance" sign. Instead I get Firefox's "Unable to connect" which makes it look like the site completely vanished.

Did you try immediately refreshing/reloading the page to see if that gets it to work? Both before when you could login through the Schwab site and now, I occasionally get that issue. An immediate refresh usually gets the page to pull up though.

It's annoying, sure, but hardly worth giving up 2% Cash Back and 0% foreign transaction fees, IMO.

Considering what I deal with HSBC to keep some of their cool rebate cards and redeem rewards, FIA is heaven. Very competant staff. Considering the current card marketplace and the recent changes Visa/MC agreed to for merchants, there is quite a lot I can deal with to have such a good rebate card.

Rasheed

I've had problems with the FIA page loading on many occasions from home, but never from work. I'm using Firefox in both cases, but a Mac at home, and Windows at work. I also had the same problem accessing FIA's page via my schwab.com account.

markb1024 said: I've had problems with the FIA page loading on many occasions from home, but never from work. I'm using Firefox in both cases, but a Mac at home, and Windows at work. I also had the same problem accessing FIA's page via my schwab.com account.

This exact thing happens to me sometimes (but rarely). I also have a Mac at home and use Windows at work.

delete

I tried splitting the banks the 2% went to among several account, including Schwab bank and Bank of America.

The 2% got to the Bank of America on Nov. 1 and to Schwab Bank and CITI (chosen to have a small direct deposit to earn Thank you points)Nov. 2. Not too surprising given that FIA is owned by BOA, and it is probably an internal transfer.

While not very critical, there may be someone for whom the faster crediting to Bank of America is important enough to make that where they have the money go.

ProfessorEd said: I tried splitting the banks the 2% went to among several account, including Schwab bank and Bank of America.

The 2% got to the Bank of America on Nov. 1 and to Schwab Bank and CITI (chosen to have a small direct deposit to earn Thank you points)Nov. 2. Not too surprising given that FIA is owned by BOA, and it is probably an internal transfer.

While not very critical, there may be someone for whom the faster crediting to Bank of America is important enough to make that where they have the money go.



When I pull money out of BOA into either my Schwab brokerage or IRA account it is available the next day. Since BOA owned Chuck for a few years could their "transfer system" still be somewhat intergrated?

I logged in today and the 2% rewards tab was gone. Hope is a website technical glitch because never received a notice.

Heffer said:
I'm so frustrated with FIA. Tried checking my balance, site is down.

Some banks seem to be down "for routine maintenance" a substantial amount of time. It actually causes me to miss payments, because I give up after making 3 or so attempts during a billing cycle. It would be useful if this downtime were tracked somewhere, so users would know which online banks are reliable.

Heffer said:
Such a pain from the user experience. Instability, difficult to navigate, no billpay, no automated "Pay balance in full", etc....

Notice that FIA is not RFC 5322 compliant either. You should update that wiki to detail what browser version has trouble with FIA's site.

Heffer said:
I blame Schwab as well for pawning us off to such a sketchy company.

FIA has always been the underlying bank. Schwab was just the brand.

pyro123 said: I logged in today and the 2% rewards tab was gone. Hope is a website technical glitch because never received a notice.

Same problem here - the rewards tabs seemed to have vanished on the FIA credit card web site. I just called and the lady said they are aware of the problem and are updating the system and all will be well by Monday.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014