• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I'm getting laid off in November, but I'm now on a short term disability. If i'm still disable after being laid off, will I be able to receive pay from my short term disability? This is Texas by the way.

I read the policy (11 weeks for STD, then LTD) and it does not mention anything about being laid off while on STD.

Appreciate any response.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

It all depends on what your plan document stipulates. Check out the company intranet or stop by HR to find the plan document. This will include details on when the policy ends following employment and how long payments run following loss of employment.

(I work in HR, so I know what I am talking about - but all plans vary)

Funny, I just always assumed you couldn't get laid off while on disabilty/workmans comp/FMLA. Sorry you had to be my lesson.

As long as the layoff is not discriminatory and is of a valid reduction in force, such that the position would have been eliminated whether or not the employee was there, it is allowed.
http://library.findlaw.com/2003/Aug/8/132967.html

It is obviously easier to prove when there are objective criteria, i.e. last in first out or all persons in a business unit, than if it is seemingly arbitrary.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014